Next generation of consoles come in Page 27

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• dominalien 22 Jan 2013 10:44:47 6,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What does the original price point have to do with this?

You can pretend you're right all you want, it's not going to get any more true. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:44:58 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Now im on PS+, downloads and updates install automagically overnight and cloud saves synch themselves. Almost every complaint I had about the PS3 is now gone with a monthly subscription.

Even outside that, the PS+ is a far better value proposition that XBL. Compared side by side, XBL now feels like absolutely pathetic VFM.

Free software with PS+: Arkham City, Vanquish
    Free software with XBL: Internet Explorer
    See, that's a genuine answer. If they continue in this vein into the next gen, it's a definite edge for Sony.

I would note that Sony don't have the deep(ish) pockets they used to, whereas MS is still supertough. For pragmatic reasons alone the Durango looks to be the safe bet.

But then the N64 looked to be the safe bet as well.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• X201 22 Jan 2013 10:45:43 15,124 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    andijames wrote:
    Am i the only one who actually prefers the DS3 to the xbox pad? I agree it could do with a refresh after nigh on 3 generations but i still find it comfortable.
    I wouldn't say I prefer it but I'm ok with both, I prefer the convex tops of the thumbsticks and the D-Pad but prefer buttons and triggers on the 360.
    The position of the sticks is fine on both, makes no difference to me.
    I prefer the DS3 to the Xbox pad, although both are awkward to use given the size of my hands.

The DS3 layout is better, having both thumb-sticks opposite one another is better than the Xbox off-set approach
  • andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 10:46:24 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you have friends, party chat and the ease of joining friends games make live far better.

If you don't have friends, or don't like playing online games very often, the PSN is decent enough.

PS+ is good though, although something like lovefilm would probably be better value as you could rent the games you actually wanted rather than having a backlog of games you have no interest in

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:48:25 22-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:46:47 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:

You can pretend you're right all you want, it's not going to get any more true. :-)
    Read mowgli's post. He was comparing the two consoles from an equal pricepoint of 0 for online functionality and concluding the PS3 was 'infinitely better'. I was just pointing out how oversimplified, narrow and ridiculous that is.

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:49:24
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    dominalien wrote:

Read mowgli's post. He was comparing the two consoles from an equal pricepoint of 0 for online functionality and concluding the PS3 was 'infinitely better'. I was just pointing out how oversimplified, narrow and ridiculous that is.
    I wasn't actually, I only brought in the non sub argument because people were treating Plus as some special case that shouldn't be compared to Live. So either you go in sans sub - PS3 obviously wins; or you go in with a sub - again PS3 now obviously wins.
  • Fozzie_bear 22 Jan 2013 10:49:43 15,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LB - what the hell is that in your profile pic? It looks like a photoshopped picture of ecosse.

Is it a photoshopped picture of ecosse?

Do the mods know about this?

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 10:50:39 53,788 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Semantics aside, whist the PS3 lacks cross game invites and chat it'll never stand up to the 360 in terms of online play. I expect the PS4 to sort that out from day one.
  • andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 10:51:15 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PS3 is only better online if you have no friends and only play against randoms online, which defeats the point of multiplayer
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:51:45 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    LB - what the hell is that in your profile pic? It looks like a photoshopped picture of ecosse.

Is it a photoshopped picture of ecosse?

Do the mods know about this?
    There's no photoshop there - that pic is very real.

Vile, isn't he?

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:53:11
    andytheadequate wrote:
    PS3 is only better online if you have no friends and only play against randoms online, which defeats the point of multiplayer
    Well that's a fucking stupid thing to say. There are entire clans on EG (which is something the PS3 seems to do well compared to the 360), that others will be able to better expand upon.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:53:13 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I wasn't actually, I only brought in the non sub argument because people were treating Plus as some special case that shouldn't be compared to Live. So either you go in sans sub - PS3 obviously wins; or you go in with a sub - again PS3 now obviously wins.
    OK, put like that it is reasonable although still very much open to personal taste. The PS3 doesn't have half the multiplayer sophistication of the 360 for a start. Fine if you have no mates.

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:53:56
    Psychotext wrote:
    Semantics aside, whist the PS3 lacks cross game invites and chat it'll never stand up to the 360 in terms of online play. I expect the PS4 to sort that out from day one.
    Semantics aside... you then say cross game invites and chat are what matters :/
  • AcidSnake 22 Jan 2013 10:54:21 7,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone ever heard from the publishers with regards to PS+? Do they get a cut of the revenue for the month their games are free and after that nothing?

I find the 360 pad more comfortable than the DS3, the party chat and joining games extremely useful and would very much like to see a PS+ style offering...I'd like more games rather than IE, facebook and other junk I don't want...

Why not make a list of settings where you choose the services in your Live sub? And have the price change of course if you remove junk like facebook...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:55:18 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Well ... yes, they are.

• andijames 22 Jan 2013 10:55:50 2,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Playing against randoms is much better sometimes on games like FIFA whereas it gets a bit boring beating your mates all the time ;)

vivir el momento

• mcmonkeyplc 22 Jan 2013 10:56:14 39,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any news on if the new xbox will have a blu-ray drive?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:56:49
    andytheadequate wrote:
    It does? I've been doing it wrong for the last 17 years then?
  • Fake_Blood 22 Jan 2013 10:57:43 4,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So if you joined xbl in 2005, by now you've paid about the price of a console for it.
    Just something to think about.
  • Youthist 22 Jan 2013 10:58:38 10,010 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I think it has two. Didn't you see the press release?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• andijames 22 Jan 2013 10:58:53 2,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Allegedly a 6x one.

vivir el momento

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:59:22
    Plus the extra xbox you had to buy when you're original red-ringed :D
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:59:38 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    So if you joined xbl in 2005, by now you've paid about the price of a console for it.
    Yeah, it's pretty cheap all things considered isn't it.

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:02:05
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Well ... yes, they are.
    I'm going to be very surprised if you stoop to convincing yourself otherwise LB but frankly I have fuck all interest in chatting to someone on Live who is playing another game, I also can't say I find it hard to just send someone a message if I want to play a game (indeed it makes up for those fucking annoying notifications when I'm obviously playing something else!). I appreciate you (well not you as you are just arguing for the sake of it and aren't one of the hardcore 360 lot) might find these features extremely beneficial. But 30 worth they are not. It's cool if you are willing to pay that for the convenience, or the fact that your friends are on the Live (my reason), but to pretend that you are getting value for money is fucking mental talk.

To go with andy's logic when it comes to Plus and (why not just get) Lovefilm - you are better off with skype.

Edited by mowgli at 11:02:45 22-01-2013
  • andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:02:48 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In FIFA perhaps, or fighting games, but most online games are hugely improved when you can talk to people. And seeing as though moat people online don't talk to randoms, or if they do are utter morons, then having a private chat channel is vital. Most of my best gaming moments this gen have been playing with a group of friends online whilst having a laugh in party chat. Or even playing a game and chatting with someone playing something else.

And I can't believe it's not possible to invite a friend to a game. With no invites and no party chat, how do you know when someone wants a game?!

Saying all this though, Xbox live is too expensive, but until PSN is improved it is still worth the premium
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:04:36
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Jan 2013 11:05:03 5,029 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Is that a joke?

250-ish over seven years is 'pretty cheap'...?
  • Fake_Blood 22 Jan 2013 11:06:02 4,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Can I interest you in some time sharing for a flat in the dominican republic?
    It's pretty cheap all things considered.
  • andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:07:06 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    It does? I've been doing it wrong for the last 17 years then?
    I'm afraid so. I used to play cs, cod 1, bf1942 etc on the pc, but until I played with voice chat with friends it wasn't anywhere near as much fun.

Skype does work pretty well on the pc, but isn't it only possible to chat to 1 person on it?
  • andijames 22 Jan 2013 11:07:50 2,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Don't forget when PS3 launched i don't even think they had APIs in place for online gaming. That came with a future firmware update. It will be an integral part this time around so i suspect they'll integrate many of the requested online features as standard (they would be stupid not to). The only reason they weren't this time round was more down to technical limitations i imagine.

Agreed when you do actually speak to people online it's usually your friends so this feature would be nice but to be fair it's not a massive deal breaker for me. The games and the overall experience is key to deciding what i get. But to be fair there's not been much between the 360 and the PS3 this gen they both have had their pros and cons it's just purely by choice i've stuck with the PS3.

vivir el momento

• Page

of 402 First / Last