Next generation of consoles come in Page 26

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Fozzie_bear 22 Jan 2013 10:09:01 15,530 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A redesigned pad or a big box of tits. Either's good for me.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:10:03
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    The PS3 Boomerang controller looked comfy
    at least if you throw your controller away in anger it comes back to you. /sorry
  • dominalien 22 Jan 2013 10:11:29 6,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    A redesigned pad or a big box of tits. Either's good for me.
    Hm, disembodies tits don't do it for me any more. I'll take the redesigned pad, if only for there to be something new. Nothing wrong with the current one, IMO.

PSN: DonOsito

• Ultrasoundwave 22 Jan 2013 10:13:58 3,303 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    The PS3 Boomerang controller looked comfy

/ Boomerang comedy

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Chopsen 22 Jan 2013 10:16:53 15,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I always view the whole "man, they added TOO MANY THINGS" argument with some bemusement.

Why is it 'bad' that Microsoft added a bunch of media features to the 360? You don't have to use them. It still plays games, just like it always did. The PS3's better because it does fewer things? Really? Besides which... doesn't the PS3 do all those things too?
    Because it's usually done as an afterthought, and tends to be a bit shit, so why bother? Sony has incorrectly implement the DNLA standards on their devices, 360 only allows you to stream from Windows PC last time I checked (admittedly years ago), codec support is limited on both, playlist support rubbish. Why not just concentrate on getting the basics right instead of adopting a kitchen sink approach? (which admittedly is more of a criticism of Sony than MS).
  • X201 22 Jan 2013 10:17:18 15,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just want a controller that is big enough for European hands.

DualShock is way too small, and Xbox pad is uncomfortable.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:18:12
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Let's see what the games are like, eh? I will never buy a Kinect and can't get excited about HDMI input (either for personal use or for the self-important dross that'll clog the internet inevitably as a result). However the PS3 has shown how badly Sony can fuck up online service, so I'll take shameless moneygrubbing from MS over incompetence and frustration from Sony. But, as I said at the top, it all comes down to the games.
    Apart from the whole hacking fiasco how exactly have Sony fucked up their online service? It is infinitely better than the 360 offering. Or are you just repeating the party chat line?
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:19:46 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The mandatory installs, the endless updates, the continuing effort to catch up with MS's service offering.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 10:20:42 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Apart from the whole hacking fiasco how exactly have Sony fucked up their online service? It is infinitely better than the 360 offering.
    Aside from it being free, it's still not up to the 360s online experience.
  • andijames 22 Jan 2013 10:22:13 2,731 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If they can sort out a way of applying delta updates this time round then that would be a good start. Personally it never bothered me but i can see how it would piss some people off!

To be fair Microsoft have had years of practise patching software so they know how to do it right ;)

vivir el momento

• andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 10:23:08 8,179 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The DS3 is just awful, I'm glad there's talk of a redesign.

I'm not going to buy a console if they insist on charging for online multiplayer. I must have spent about 120 on Xbox live over the last few years, which is a bit ridiculous. Hopefully Microsoft will remove it, or at least add a ps+ style service.

I wonder if Sony will include party chat this gen?

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:39:31 22-01-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2013 10:24:49 11,267 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    Am i the only one who actually prefers the DS3 to the xbox pad? I agree it could do with a refresh after nigh on 3 generations but i still find it comfortable.
    I wouldn't say I prefer it but I'm ok with both, I prefer the convex tops of the thumbsticks and the D-Pad but prefer buttons and triggers on the 360.
    The position of the sticks is fine on both, makes no difference to me.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Whizzo 22 Jan 2013 10:25:55 43,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm a recent PS3 owner, signed up with PS+, started inFamous 2 a couple of days ago (after it taking nearly forever to download it), it then proceeded to download and install three patches separately. This is for a game I downloaded from the PS Store in the first place, why the fuck wasn't the game up to date before I even downloaded it?

If anyone can work out how that makes sense please tell me because it doesn't to me.

This space left intentionally blank.

• RyanDS 22 Jan 2013 10:26:03 9,377 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The mandatory installs, the endless updates, the continuing effort to catch up with MS's service offering.
    Installs I agree with. However the updates are all done while I sleep now thanks to plus, and the store uses actual currency which is so much better than points.

I genuinely don't see a single thing that Live does better that Sony need to catch up on. In fact I'd say it is the other way round, MS need to catch up with Sony with Plus.
  • Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 10:26:08 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the 360 pad really needs is a d-pad which actually works.

Pretty much perfect for me aside from that.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:26:35
    Psychotext wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Apart from the whole hacking fiasco how exactly have Sony fucked up their online service? It is infinitely better than the 360 offering.
    That's nonsense. Beyond party chat which as a Live subscriber from the beginning I still have zero interest in using, when you subscribe with Plus they give you free games. Excellent, full retail release games for the length of the sub (as well as discounts like Live). The actual online playing experience really is no different.

LB, and I'm not sure about always playing catchup. They were first to online media services. And still significantly better at it. (Stuck with Netflix on the 360 now ffs).
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:27:57
    Party chat and game invites/joining. Certainly not worth paying a premium for IMO but live is superior for that alone.
  • andijames 22 Jan 2013 10:28:34 2,731 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    That's nonsense. Beyond party chat which as a Live subscriber from the beginning I still have zero interest in using, when you subscribe with Plus they give you free games. Excellent, full retail release games for the length of the sub (as well as discounts like Live). The actual online playing experience really is no different.

LB, and I'm not sure about always playing catchup. They were first to online media services. And still significantly better at it. (Stuck with Netflix on the 360 now ffs).
    Agreed. To begin with PSN was a complete shambles but they really did get their act together with online gaming. Plus is fantastic and if anything now i have too many games to finish! And yeah i'm going to say it... it's free! Well. The online gaming bit anyways :)

vivir el momento

• Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 10:28:59 54,208 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're not free if you're renting them mowgli, but I agree that Microsoft needs to offer something similar.

Scheduled patching is just making up for something that should have never been broken in the first place, and cloud saves are something which Microsoft does anyway.

Edited by Psychotext at 10:29:49 22-01-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2013 10:29:01 11,267 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    I guess people are talking about their paying service which is infinitely better value.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:29:39
    And also not the same thing.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:33:31
    Psychotext wrote:
    They're not free if you're renting them mowgli, but I agree that Microsoft needs to offer something similar.

Scheduled patching is just making up for something that should have never been broken in the first place, and cloud saves are something which Microsoft does anyway.
    They are if we are talking online service which doesn't exist without an identically priced sub on the 360. So yeah, either we are talking console sans sub, in which case the 360 is stuck in 2001, or we are talking from the standpoint of paying a sub for both. At which point Sony offers a much, much better service and more value for money.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:34:15
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    And also not the same thing.
    In that case lets talk about the online service on both without paying for a service.

Oh
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:35:02 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, I'm genuinely baffled. What is the online service you pay for on the PS3 that is infinitely better than that in the 360?

• LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:36:43 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    In that case lets talk about the online service on both without paying for a service.
    This is ridiculous. I suppose a bicycle is better than a car because you constantly have to 'sub' a car with petrol?

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:37:37
    Games, free (for the length of the sub) quality - not bargain bucket nobody cares about - games. Handy when it comes to a games console.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:38:49 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hell, let's assume nobody wants to shell out on expensive accessories like televisions. Then the 360 is the clear winner because it is the better heater.

• nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 10:39:22 59,937 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    One slightly disgusting thing about that is that not only do they recognise this, they have monetised it.

Now im on PS+, downloads and updates install automagically overnight and cloud saves synch themselves. Almost every complaint I had about the PS3 is now gone with a monthly subscription.

Even outside that, the PS+ is a far better value proposition that XBL. Compared side by side, XBL now feels like absolutely pathetic VFM.

Free software with PS+: Arkham City, Vanquish
    Free software with XBL: Internet Explorer

Edited by nickthegun at 10:41:07 22-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:40:01
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    This is ridiculous. I suppose a bicycle is better than a car because you constantly have to 'sub' a car with petrol?
    Well that's a daft position to jump to. If you want, a Sony car is better than a MS car because it runs itself and doesn't need petrol. But I guess the MS car has built in handsfree so maybe... Yup, definitely daft.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 10:40:07 44,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, if it's all about the free offering, why not level the original price point as well mowgli? Would you rather have an offline-only 360, or shall I saw off a quarter of your PS3 and you can have the rest instead?

• Page

of 402 First / Last