Next generation of consoles come in Page 220

• Page

of 398 First / Last

• altitude2k 26 May 2013 15:03:36 3,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh yeah, over the network. That's a lot nicer than IR blaster.
  • Ryze 26 May 2013 15:05:45 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Easy. HDMI out the TV, then HDMI back in :confused:
    What's easy? The question is whether or not these TVs with built in digital decoders actually HAVE an HDMI out functionality.

If they do, then that's great as long as the decoder can function while the TV is switched to another HDMI source.

If not, then there's nothing easy about anything. The next issue would be how to control the decoder to change channels, while the TV is set to display another HDMI source.

Not too easy at all.

Edited by Ryze at 15:12:02 26-05-2013
  • oceanmotion 26 May 2013 15:06:50 15,243 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Halo 4 is the one that gets me. The idea of not being able to play that going into the next year seems quite odd to me.
    360 still exists and no doubt a mini one at E3. People will be quite content with what they have for a year or two at least.

Halo 4 has died on it's arse as well. Hasn't had the legs and I imagine 343 will let it die while concentrating on the next Hali.
  • Ryze 26 May 2013 15:11:03 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Halo 4 is the one that gets me. The idea of not being able to play that going into the next year seems quite odd to me.
    Exactly - spot on.

This is THE reason why I expect either a BC add-on box, or a decent selection of the previous 12 months' games with special edition features to make it over as purchase incentives.

If not, then they've cocked it up on Halo 4 alone, as you've mentioned.

I reckon there'll be a 1080p/60 version of Halo 2 in 2014 for the 10th anniversary. No reason not to, as they'll be working on Halo 5 for 2015 most likely, unless it's somehow already ready for the XBO launch. Doubt that.
  • altitude2k 26 May 2013 15:14:16 3,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    Easy. HDMI out the TV, then HDMI back in :confused:
    What's easy? The question is whether or not these TVs with built in digital decoders actually HAVE an HDMI out functionality.

If they do, then that's great as long as the decoder can function while the TV is switched to another HDMI source.

If not, then there's nothing easy about anything. The next issue would be how to control the decoder to change channels, while the TV is set to display another HDMI source.

Not too easy at all.
    See the :confused: ...understand the sarcasm.
  • FanBoysSuck 26 May 2013 15:18:54 1,382 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've found myself reevaluating my thoughts on the Xbone as while it's something that really doesn't interest me in the slightest at the moment, I've had quite a few friends who really like the sound of the functionality. The kind who game but use their current Xbox just as much if not not more for TV related stuff. I honestly think the more game orientated types will stick with PC or go PS4 while those with a broader media intake will go with the new Xbox. I'm still on the fence about if this is a good thing as both Sony and MS will have less completion in their target market but I'm holding out until E3 to make a final judgement.

For the emperor!

• PenguinJim 26 May 2013 15:24:33 5,448 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been trying to pin down what, exactly, is the problem with the One (apart from it being dull and boring and it'll be outdated within a couple of months and the TV doesn't interest me at all etc - if anyone's said any of that, then I will probably agree when we know for sure).

Since 2005 (chosen for 360 launch), all people have been increasingly moving to single-user accounts for their smartphone apps, their PC games, their ebooks, their social networking, etc etc. In fact, it seems that the only place where people haven't been shifting across to a place with unresellable, unshareable digital purchases is disc-based console games, and that's almost certainly because it wasn't quite practical or acceptable in mainly-disc-based-consoling of 2005 where, to be fair, online gaming was quite new. The PSPGo seemed to back this up in 2009.

But surely it's acceptable now, in 2013?

Not that it matters. Microsoft (and perhaps Sony, we'll see) have decided that it's still not quite acceptable on console yet, so instead of forcing old-fashioned gamers into the single-user-account nightmare that is The Present, they've cushioned the blow by investing in a single-user account system that actually lets you sell on your old purchases (I say "investing", but they'll doubtless make all of that money back - I don't think it's a charitable move! ;)). They've also continued to allow games on a console to be played by any account on that hardware. This seems to me to offer more freedom than other systems like Games on Demand, PSN, and all of the other single-user accounts I listed above. People will still be able to sell their games, AND have all the benefits of downloadable games thrown in as well.

But the amount of crying, the "backlash", the 'Microsoft deserve to be vilified, and Sony too if they do the same' really makes me worry that a lot of 'console-only gamers' are perhaps 'only console gamers' - that they don't have smartphones, or ereaders, or a Facebook account, or any PC games, or... well, they appear to be a bit backwards.

What am I missing? Some illusion of freedom?

I've seen a few comments over the past few years (less than once a month, for sure) about people loving their discs, and not wanting PSN or GoD games because they prefer their discs, and the joy of springing from their seat and jaunting merrily across the living room to change discs, but people... it's twenty thirteen! Time to stop holding onto your discs, and grabbing your disks instead. :p

(Don't scroll up, JTN didn't write this post. It was me, PenguinJimTypeNoir!)
  • King_Edward 26 May 2013 15:48:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can people lend their games to their friends with this new system? No? Then it's shitter than what we have now on 360, PS3 and Wii U.

That is really all there is too it.
  • PenguinJim 26 May 2013 15:54:55 5,448 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your contention is that 360, PS3 and Wii U are better than Steam, then?
  • robthehermit 26 May 2013 15:55:38 3,827 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have put in my preorder for the Xbone. I have no shame.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• altitude2k 26 May 2013 15:57:49 3,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    If nothing else we can play 1v1 Forza ;-)
  • King_Edward 26 May 2013 15:58:10 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Your contention is that 360, PS3 and Wii U are better than Steam, then?
    I'm saying being able to share my games is better than not being able to.
  • PenguinJim 26 May 2013 16:00:49 5,448 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But from what we've been told, you can share your games with anyone else on that One console. You can let someone else login as you and play your games on their console. Where's the problem now?
  • robthehermit 26 May 2013 16:01:00 3,827 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    If nothing else we can play 1v1 Forza ;-)
    \o/

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• RightBean 26 May 2013 16:03:58 602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    You can let someone else login as you and play your games on their console. Where's the problem now?
    That's no good is it because your login is associated with your skype, facebook etc, all other kinds of data, it's not something you ever want to give out
  • PenguinJim 26 May 2013 16:08:20 5,448 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So being logged into your Skype and Facebook on your gaming (I mean, TV) console is more important that the charitable act of sharing your games with friends?

If you want to share - there's a solution, right there.

What else do you have? :p
  • King_Edward 26 May 2013 16:09:40 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    But from what we've been told, you can share your games with anyone else on that One console. You can let someone else login as you and play your games on their console. Where's the problem now?
    Oh you're so right! It's mind bogglingly convenient! I just borrow a few of Karl's games, then strap on my Karl mask for Kinect to log me into his account. It's so much better.

Edited by King_Edward at 16:10:06 26-05-2013
  • PenguinJim 26 May 2013 16:13:31 5,448 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, I'd missed the part of the conference where they confirmed facial recognition requirements for account logins. I wish I could be smart like you and your incredible use of facts.

Not edited by PenguinJim
  • stephenb 26 May 2013 16:18:33 2,677 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So...... Anyone actually looking forward to new consoles then?

/crickets

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• RobTheBuilder 26 May 2013 16:20:45 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    stephenb wrote:

/crickets
    Well, the Ouya looks interesting...
  • King_Edward 26 May 2013 16:22:44 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the Wi U still new? Looking forward to that getting some games.
  • oceanmotion 26 May 2013 16:26:04 15,243 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just the games and whatever the PS4 looks like even though it will just be a black box. Similar internals will be an interesting comparison with the Xbox design.

Really just new games that bring something a little different at least. Lots of real demonstrations and hands on feedback. Enough of the teases and fancy trailer nonsense. Real game play, straight dev talk, q&a, just the facts.
  • stephenb 26 May 2013 16:33:30 2,677 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed, it's just about the games people! Looking forward to Destiny the most. Am I right in thinking that hasn't been confirmed for launch?
    I'm going for PS4 this gen, not joining in on the MS bashing as what I've seen doesn't interest me. Maybe some cool exclusives at E3 might make me change my mind.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• mikew1985 26 May 2013 16:34:26 12,039 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    stephenb wrote:

/crickets
    But loads of the games on it are always online and you can't share them, not even on the same console. From that perspective it's worlds worse than the forthcoming consoles everyone is so angry about.
  • Syrette 26 May 2013 16:41:11 41,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    stephenb wrote:

/crickets
    Yeah. A few of us on here are actually going to do something a bit crazy; we're going to wait till we know more about the new consoles before rushing to a quick judgement, and damning them before we know about the software line-ups and so many other details, or even what one of the new consoles looks like.

Edited by Syrette at 16:42:19 26-05-2013

• RobTheBuilder 26 May 2013 16:49:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mikew1985 I'm glad someone picked up on that!
  • oceanmotion 26 May 2013 16:52:54 15,243 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Destiny is at the PS4 conference. Hope Bungie have a good demonstration planned.

Would like to see Rare surprise everyone with a good game that isn't stuck in the past. I couldn't even get through the Banjo N&B demo, life draining way to introduce mechanics and characters.

New IP from Respawn Entertainment could be fun. Hopefully moved on from respawning enemies and invented AI after COD.
  • Ryze 26 May 2013 17:08:00 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    The problem is that if I buy Bioshock Infinite, and my mate buys Metal Gear Rising, then we both complete these games, we can't SWAP them with each other without either paying up a significant amount of cash, or also trading our XBL/Windows Live sign in details, which potentially exposes credit card details and access to personal information and accounts.

If they're not dumb, then they'll allow the disc to offer a pay per play / daily rental option for borrowing to work properly, or else there's really a risk that they'll LOSE out as people just don't buy games due to the price.

They also need to become very flexible in terms of pricing, if they're getting a cut from every console/account pairing that has access to play the game.

If the two games in my example were Okami and Demon's Souls, then the borrower might not even bother spending to access them if it's not cheap. If it's Battlefield and FIFA, then the'll likely spend the money sooner or later, or get the pre-owned 360/PS3 version to tide them over while the price remains high.

Edited by Ryze at 17:13:41 26-05-2013
  • Ryze 26 May 2013 17:11:13 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    stephenb wrote:

/crickets
    But loads of the games on it are always online and you can't share them, not even on the same console. From that perspective it's worlds worse than the forthcoming consoles everyone is so angry about.
    I can't imagine that any Ouya games will cost 40-55. That's the key difference there, and the reason why Steam's successful too.

There's a section of the populace who don't have a clue about Steam, and a portion of the customer-base who only buy cheap games on Steam, or for the PC in general due to the lack of flexibility in getting rid of duds, or games that we simply don't play any more.
  • Deleted user 26 May 2013 17:37:36
    Syrette wrote:
    stephenb wrote:

/crickets
    Yeah. A few of us on here are actually going to do something a bit crazy; we're going to wait till we know more about the new consoles before rushing to a quick judgement, and damning them before we know about the software line-ups and so many other details, or even what one of the new consoles looks like.
    I had a little chuckle to this ^
  • Page

of 398 First / Last