Next generation of consoles come in Page 3

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• oceanmotion 15 Oct 2011 21:41:44 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xbox 720 makes an appearance

Ha, PR having a laugh there. At least they won't use that name now.

Speaking of current gen to next gen, some of you may have seen this sort of thing already. Amazed I haven't stumbled across it before.

Going up close to your TV and seeing how god awful the game looks. I was just going over to charge my controller and noticed. It's like 640x480 blown up.

Still, looks fine from my couch.
  • Ultrasoundwave 9 Nov 2011 10:47:41 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It would seem Cliffy B think there is a lot more to come from the 360.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Ultrasoundwave 16 Nov 2011 21:10:43 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quite scary to think that this time next year, we could all be playing the Xbox 720 or whatever they call it......

• Deleted user 17 November 2011 15:43:26
    it doesn't seem that long ago i was eagerly watching stuff like Kameo, and Yes, Call of Duty 2, perfect dark zero as 360 launch titles and it all looked so amazing.

I was in my first year of uni when it came out or just after, quite a few people on my floor spent there student loans on one.

Edited by joelstinton at 15:43:50 17-11-2011
  • cianchristopher 17 Nov 2011 15:55:00 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The most important thing I've learned from this generation, is to wait until the nearer to the end of the generation before jumping in.

All the good games are out, most of them are cheap, the hardware has been revised, and then revised a second time, the consoles are quieter and more energy-efficient, etc. etc. etc.
  • oceanmotion 17 Nov 2011 16:03:48 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would be funny if Nintendo didn't bother with the WiiU in 2012 and MS jumped the gun. I wonder how easy it is for companies to predict each others launches.

I still more on the side of Halo 4 launching on 360 and the next Xbox. It's not like games haven't done that sort of thing before and I think the new Halo trilogy should really have a foot in next gen. Whether that makes it half baked I dunno, depends how they approach it, different levels or just more shiny.

It would nice to see GTA V turned up to 11 on the console platform. Maybe a few others get the same treatment at the end of 2012.

Consoles probably being a decent upgrade in a nice form factor for a reasonable price with headline titles like GTA V, Halo 4, COD on launch. Tempting for some.

Could also not happen and we see the WiiU only while PS3 and 360 sell fine for another year with maybe one last hurrah.
  • Psychotext 17 Nov 2011 16:26:14 53,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    The most important thing I've learned from this generation, is to wait until the nearer to the end of the generation before jumping in.

All the good games are out, most of them are cheap, the hardware has been revised, and then revised a second time, the consoles are quieter and more energy-efficient, etc. etc. etc.
    Part of that is getting older too. Patience is one of the few good things to come out of it. :D
  • Chopsen 17 Nov 2011 16:56:20 15,727 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Also, I don't give a fuck about games coming on multiple disks. I played Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga!
    I played Ultima VI on the Amiga. You had to swap discs every single time you started a conversation with a NPC as the dialogue was all on one disk, while the map was on another. This was on a 2 drive system as well - the game itself was on a third.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2011 17:06:37
    I still dont think MS will release next year, they only revealed and released in 05 because they wanted the jump over Sony. This time they dont need to do that. So 2013 for MS imo.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2011 17:27:41
    Apparently Sony have one of thier studios working on nothing but next gen stuff now, I'm thinking Cambridge are the ones doing it
  • oceanmotion 17 Nov 2011 18:06:51 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I doubt Naughty Dog are doing anything current gen other than Vita now.

We don't know when they planned to release their new consoles. For all we know 2012 was the date all along for MS. It's likely them and Sony knew Nintendo would be first out the gates as the Wii was so dated to begin with. Not hard to imagine their plans coinciding with Nintendo's next release.
  • Raiko101 17 Nov 2011 18:12:57 6,089 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe i've been under a shell for the past few months, but i've been reading rumours about EA and Valve trying to get Origin and Steam on the Wii U. I knew Nintendo were opening up to third parties about how to go about delivering online services, but I didn't think it would have anything to do with marketplaces. It would really shake up 3rd party support, once and for all.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• oceanmotion 17 Nov 2011 21:06:17 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    How long does it take from viable rumour to actual press releases to console launch because their hasn't even been a sniff of a rumour from either MS or Sony?

Sorry for the vague question but I was thinking about a year maybe a little less.
    MS announced the 360 in May 2005 and launched in Nov/Dec 2005. MS aren't half bad at keeping secrets now so I can imagine them suddenly announcing it within a year or release.

There has been rumours. Who knows if they are true though. Not like any of them are going to admit it and funny that the usual we don't comment on rumour or speculation hasn't been rolled out.
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Nov 2011 10:52:41 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ....and todays rumour is.....

These rumours are coming thick and fast now :eek:

• Chopsen 18 Nov 2011 11:31:48 15,727 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not even rumour, just speculation
  • oceanmotion 22 Nov 2011 13:05:25 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The man has spoken

Speaking to IndustryGamers in an upcoming "Pachter's Podium" column, the analyst told us that launching an Xbox 360 successor by the end of 2012 doesn't make much sense for Microsoft. Instead, he's fairly confident that Microsoft is actually getting set to release an updated version of the Xbox 360.

"Those rumors are silly. Microsoft is still selling a ton of Xbox 360s, and they won't replace the existing one until sales begin to slow. I think the rumors are based upon leaks about modifying the current Xbox 360 to allow it to operate Windows 8," Pachter commented. "I fully expect a new model of Xbox 360 by holiday 2012, but don't think we see a new console altogether from Microsoft until 2014."
    They pay this man, christ.
  • Ultrasoundwave 22 Nov 2011 14:57:39 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The man has spoken

Speaking to IndustryGamers in an upcoming "Pachter's Podium" column, the analyst told us that launching an Xbox 360 successor by the end of 2012 doesn't make much sense for Microsoft. Instead, he's fairly confident that Microsoft is actually getting set to release an updated version of the Xbox 360.

"Those rumors are silly. Microsoft is still selling a ton of Xbox 360s, and they won't replace the existing one until sales begin to slow. I think the rumors are based upon leaks about modifying the current Xbox 360 to allow it to operate Windows 8," Pachter commented. "I fully expect a new model of Xbox 360 by holiday 2012, but don't think we see a new console altogether from Microsoft until 2014."
    They pay this man, christ.
    :lol:

He does bring up an interesting discussion point though : Will Microsofts new console simply be a new 360, maybe with more RAM and other performance upgrades?

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 14:58:08 22-11-2011

• Bremenacht 22 Nov 2011 19:06:14 17,614 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't see how he's wrong. 360s are selling very well. PS3s are doing Ok too. Only Nintendo really needs to get a new console out, as the Wii is tired and people for whom the Wii was a first console are moving 'up' to 360/PS3. They've yet to make the most of Kinect & Move too.

1080p look like it'll be the standard for another generation. Price will also be a bigger factor than at any other generation of console.
  • whatthefu 22 Nov 2011 20:05:25 853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    720 is a horrible name.
    and well, its not even full hd lol.
  • mal 22 Nov 2011 20:14:33 22,341 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All the consoles this gen are the same basic design - certainly much closer than they've ever been before. Same CPU architecture, similar arrangement of SIMDs (except for the Wii, if I remember rightly). What we know of the Wii U and new xbox so far indicates they'll be more of the same, so yes, in many ways I suspect you could class them as just upgraded versions of the old consoles.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 22 November 2011 20:19:36
    I've just read an interview with Michael Ancel and he describes the things he wants to do next gen with BG@E 2, based on what he said they are going to be very powerful machines. Interview is at Metro.co.uk.
  • benjerry 23 Nov 2011 10:26:39 35 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I don't see how he's wrong. 360s are selling very well. PS3s are doing Ok too. Only Nintendo really needs to get a new console out, as the Wii is tired and people for whom the Wii was a first console are moving 'up' to 360/PS3. They've yet to make the most of Kinect & Move too.

1080p look like it'll be the standard for another generation. Price will also be a bigger factor than at any other generation of console.

The Wii's current situation shows the problem with actually waiting until sales drop significantly before you announce a successor console - itīs a bit of a gamble, because the exact timing of the dropoff is hard to estimate.

Weīll see which path MS takes, but I wouldnīt be surprised if the CES announcement rumors come true.

Itīs important to remember that both MS and Sony will keep the 360 and PS3 in stores for a long time to come - the PS2 sold tens of millions after the PS3 launched. Especially with Kinect, Move, etc. it will be useful for them to have a bargain-basement entry level console that everyone can afford. The 720 and PS4 donīt mean the death of the 360 and PS3...

EDIT: "Running Windows 8" - I mean, they have Metro coming in the next dashboard update, and I doubt they would actually fork the 360 hardware at this point in the cycle.

Edited by benjerry at 10:29:45 23-11-2011
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Nov 2011 09:20:09 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There seems to be a rumour about the next generation of consoles on pretty much a daily basis now - especially with Sony pretty much confirming the PS4 is just around the corner yesterday!.

Theres no smoke without fire........

• bzzct 24 Nov 2011 11:07:15 1,725 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You really need to learn the difference between rumour and speculation.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Nov 2011 11:17:05 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rumour
    a. information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally

speculate
    a. Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

The fact that Microsoft and Sony are actually talking about the next generation puts things into the 'rumour' category in my opinion.

Good enough for you?

• bzzct 24 Nov 2011 11:26:08 1,725 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nope. Rumour would be something like: a factory in South Korea is rumoured to be manufacturing chips for a new Xbox, or; Sony are believed to be hiring extra staff for next gen development - i.e. actual information, but without knowing if they're definitely true, they're just rumour. If you had loads of that kind of thing happening, then even without knowing any of it's necessarily true, one might decide that the sheer weight of it means it's unlikely it's all wrong; i.e. no smoke without fire.

Speculation is people theorising on what they think may happen - but not on the basis of any information, reliable or otherwise. There's no smoke, there's just people discussing the concept of fire because there will be a fire at some point in the future, and it's been a while since we had a fire, so the next fire is probably nearer than the last one. They haven't actually seen any smoke to suggest the fire is happening now though.

Edited by bzzct at 11:29:38 24-11-2011
  • Cadence 24 Nov 2011 11:45:39 1,680 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Ultrasoundwave just got pwned.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Nov 2011 11:59:35 3,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Judging by your recent post history, where you've spent most of your time in the 'Grammar Police' thread (where i assume all the cool people hang out), i can see im onto a losing battle.

Im out.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 12:00:11 24-11-2011

• Page

of 402 First / Last