Next generation of consoles come in Page 19

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• sanctusmortis 20 Jan 2013 21:26:52 9,794 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember not very long ago Arthur Gies mentioning on Rebel FM that the 360's successor was supposed to have twice the threads as it has cores on the CPU. So, 8 cores and 16 threads? I thought AMD is strictly 1 core, 1 thread?

Honestly can't see MS letting Sony get a graphical leap on them, and I can't see Sony taking financial risks, so TBH I'm very much doubting anything I'm hearing. Surely Sony can't afford to Vita it up again? Surely? Or PS3-style price themselves to laughable levels? I mean, if the 360 successor isn't too underpowered in comparison but a TON cheaper (say $50-100) then they've cracked it, surely? And Sony cannot afford that.

I'll most likely get the new Xbox no matter what (pre-existing investments such as Live etc), but I am one of those rare gamers that believes there needs to be two competitive consoles around to keep the industry healthy. After all, lack of choice leads to Windows Vista and Tesco...
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 21:30:17 25,609 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony will pack their new console with good stuff and charge a fucking fortune for it. Because they're idiots.

For me, anything more than 299 has to be REALLY special to make me bite.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 21:30:38
    @sanctusmortis What do you have against horse burgers?
  • sanctusmortis 20 Jan 2013 21:33:26 9,794 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Less the horse burgers, more their ridiculous market share; 3000+ stores, with their nearest rival (Asda) having around 400. Oh, and their new tactic, which really shocked me: having a Halal butcher in stores to get around EU stunning of livestock laws. They're a pit of immorality...
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 21:35:37 25,609 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's capitalism. And a lot of those stores are tiny wee metro stores. Asda is massive or nothing; if they're not able to adapt their stores to get a presence in town centres that's their failing.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• andytheadequate 20 Jan 2013 22:31:23 8,353 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz - asda have taken over Netto stores, there's quite a few small ones near me now.

Back on topic, isn't this thread utterly redundant until we know some details?
  • mal 21 Jan 2013 00:23:19 22,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    but I am one of those rare gamers that believes there needs to be two competitive consoles around to keep the industry healthy.
    Well always have two console makers. In a market this big, someone's going to see an opportunity when someone's got a monopily in it. Look at twenty years ago, there was Atari, and in the far distance well financed companies like Mattel and the people behind the Cabbage Patch dolls. Atari got lazy, produced the absolute bare minimum, and soon overseas corporations saw a gap in the market and the modern age of console gaming began. Who gives a shit if Sony duck out?

Granted, that model only works because companies get lazy. While IBM would likely get very lazy if they only have to supply console CPUs to Nintendo and MS, MS could always switch back to Intel processors, who for the time being are still being kept (vaguely) on their toes by AMD. Perhaps a more interesting proposition is what happens if AMD goes properly tits up, as seems increasingly likely?

But this is the wrong thread for such speculation.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Phil-McCrack 21 Jan 2013 00:36:49 3,352 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The only gaming machine I'll be getting next is a Steam Box, fuck the rest of them up the arse, I got a PS3 this gen and apart from the fun exclusives it's a shit machine, noisy, shitty firmware/software updates, always crashing then taking ages to reconfigure, over priced games on the PSN store, re-releasing the machines with each iteration with less features etc. and paying to play online with the Xbox, fuck right off.

Steam Box all the way, I already have a healthy library of games thanks to the steam sales, a nice form factor box that sits under the telly to play my PC games, yes please.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 00:40:25
    @OptimusPube I got a PS3 at launch and swear I couldn't ever hear the fan, I assume they turned it up to overdrive during a firmware update after all the overheating problems and now like you said is extremely noisy.
  • Psychotext 21 Jan 2013 00:41:26 55,032 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll have dirt inside it at this point as well... though yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they amped the fan a bit when YLOD showed its face.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 00:43:10
    @Psychotext Well I'm on a slim now after the launch one went, but yeah its probably a combination of the two.

Edited by DeCoR at 00:43:23 21-01-2013
  • Phil-McCrack 21 Jan 2013 01:09:01 3,352 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DeCoR wrote:
    @OptimusPube I got a PS3 at launch and swear I couldn't ever hear the fan, I assume they turned it up to overdrive during a firmware update after all the overheating problems and now like you said is extremely noisy.
    I had a launch model as well and for a while loved it, then after a few years of owning it I got pissed off with the updates they are ridiculous, I got Pain off of PSN and it took (I'm kidding you not) over an hour to update, another villain in this is Burnout Paradise, ridiculously long updates but at least they had something to show for it with loads of free DLC.

The launch model had a very noisy fan IMO and got very hot when playing the more processor hungry games such as Uncharted 2, After about 4 years it bit the dirt with the dreaded YLOD on Christmas eve of all dates, after about a month I got the slim which was supposed to be quieter but this time around it was the BluRay drive spinning that was noisy, it sounds like the missus has her vibrator set to max.

So fuck the next gen, they are just PC's in disguise anyway.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• ResidentKnievel 21 Jan 2013 14:46:57 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More Xbox 3 rumours

Matches up with previous rumours, looks like Sony will have the more powerful system for gaming.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 14:58:49
    Allegedly they had the more powerful console last time too.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Jan 2013 15:02:24 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it that counts! :)

Anyway, I'm none-the-wiser having looked at all that. Considering I've only a vague idea of what's good and what isn't and what's feasible and what's ridiculous they could've drawn a picture of a jelly and written "Durango" on it and I'd have had pretty much the same reaction.
  • Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 15:04:11 19,653 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, but which is the best jelly?
  • Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 15:04:38 19,653 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Orbis sugar-free gum or Durango Unchained.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Jan 2013 15:06:42 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Yes, but which is the best jelly?
    Green.
  • oceanmotion 21 Jan 2013 15:09:16 16,123 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think MS are more likely to know what their doing with the hardware and getting the most out of it compared to Sony. Specs can say a lot of things, proof in the pudding.
  • ResidentKnievel 21 Jan 2013 15:09:18 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks like it'll have kinect packed in and be able to record stuff off the TV with the HDMI in socket (that's how those things work, right?).

As other people have said, the 3GB of RAM reserved for system functions is probably for recording TV, streaming games and heavy kinect use, and the components listed in that article back that theory up.

• ResidentKnievel 21 Jan 2013 15:12:08 6,289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I think MS are more likely to know what their doing with the hardware and getting the most out of it compared to Sony. Specs can say a lot of things, proof in the pudding.
    They're both using conventional PC parts to build their console with, sure MS will supply better dev tools but Sony's box is hardly going to be terrible to work with like their previous consoles.

• Psychotext 21 Jan 2013 15:25:17 55,032 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the hell is a "move engine"?
  • oceanmotion 21 Jan 2013 15:25:47 16,123 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sure they will modify them for efficiency and add stuff, won't be bog standard across the board.

Yeah, Sony will be on better ground this time but who knows, they always seem to make it harder for themselves.
  • mrpon 21 Jan 2013 15:27:00 29,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's 20 360s taped together, or 25 WiiUs.
    Cheers!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CharlieStCloud 21 Jan 2013 15:28:00 5,526 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am a little bit dim when it comes to specs however, is it worth me asking what graphics processor the 'Durango' shall be using ... was the rumoured Radeon 6670 (Northern Islands) correct?
  • [maven] 21 Jan 2013 15:28:22 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Usually a (or multiple) DMA engine(s) that can transfer (and sometime manipulate) data from place to place (e.g. between different memory pools, or IO buffers etc.) without having to involve the main CPU(s). The ring-bus between Cell BBE's SPUs would be a (limited) example.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Jan 2013 15:29:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Playstation Move support confirmed!
  • Psychotext 21 Jan 2013 15:31:06 55,032 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    Usually a (or multiple) DMA engine(s) that can transfer (and sometime manipulate) data from place to place (e.g. between different memory pools, or IO buffers etc.) without having to involve the main CPU(s). The ring-bus between Cell BBE's SPUs would be a (limited) example.
    I see. So I'm guessing that will assist with the memory bandwidth limitations (by simultaneously using the ESRAM).
  • X201 21 Jan 2013 15:34:33 15,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock"

- Eurogamer hardware thread can issue two hundred posts per cock
  • Page

of 402 First / Last