Next generation of consoles come in Page 165

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 May 2013 19:25:06 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To be fair though, vizzini, Counter Strike is as popular as ever and they've not even released a map inside a decade. Dunno.
  • Bremenacht 1 May 2013 19:30:51 18,220 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CoD on xbox 720 will insist upon a feel of your testicles before it lets you play. While kinect 2.0 records proof of submission.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 19:34:59
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine

But is it on console where all the money is for 60fps CoD? I suspect it is a niche online game on consoles just like the all the other also rans this gen.
  • Whizzo 1 May 2013 19:36:48 43,121 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We now know when Microsoft will be doing their E3 conference.

This space left intentionally blank.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 May 2013 19:36:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No, COD is a culture now.
  • SomaticSense 1 May 2013 19:59:07 8,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    No, COD is a culture now.
    Yeah. The series has been stagnating for while, but the market for it is as strong as ever. I can't see that runaway train being stopped for a long time, the core COD-obsessive market is too narrow-minded and too stubborn. We all know more than one person who adores the series and refuses to like anything else. I used to think the insatiable appetite for the series would die down eventually in favour for something like Battlefield, but every year it breaks yet more records and people still keep buying the games.

It's not remotely like the NFS games of a few years back, but more akin to something FIFA. As long as Activision don't completely fuck up, then the kind of COD fan who has bought every release since COD4 isn't likely to move on anytime soon. It's certainly not like Counterstrike, which literally is the same game that they've already paid for, whereas with COD people are paying 40 every single year.

I don't think the core COD market is likely to buy a next-gen console if there are current gen versions as well, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will be out in droves Nov 2014 to buy their PS4/720 for whatever COD game is out then (Black Ops 3?).

Edited by SomaticSense at 20:05:20 01-05-2013
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 May 2013 20:01:27 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    certainly be interesting
  • RobTheBuilder 1 May 2013 20:03:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The difference is that (for about a decade) the NFS games were largely shit, had terrible frame rates. For about five-ten years FIFA was always the weaker of the main football games, and when the quality went up so did sales.

COD is still a very good series. It may not break boundaries, but the core gameplay is fun and the frame rate makes it feel very responsive. It got famous for being good, and so far has remained so, this should give it a long tail.
  • ronuds 1 May 2013 20:10:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing lasts forever. It seems impossible today, but one day we'll look back at COD with fond memories... or maybe no so fond.

I don't think it will be COD's "fault" but an FPS will eventually be released that people like better and they'll merge toward that game. All it takes is one slip up by Activision or a stroke of brilliance by someone else.
  • RobTheBuilder 1 May 2013 20:14:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ronuds I think they are taking the right decision to move it forward for the next gen, to try and stop its usual hype being stolen by other new games.
  • ronuds 1 May 2013 20:17:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder - Definitely, especially seeing as how BF will be there.
  • RobTheBuilder 1 May 2013 20:19:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope they stick to 60fps instead of trying to match battlefield in terms of graphical detail too
  • SomaticSense 1 May 2013 20:20:43 8,276 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think COD will still dominate regardless of the competition's framerates.

COD are indeed good games. But there are also much better games out there, better FPSs even, and yet it still pretty much destroys the charts every year. If 60fps was the magic bullet, then don't you think devs the world over would have cottoned on to that by now?

Even if COD switched to 30fps, it would still dominate. Like bitch_tits said, it's a culture now, and not just another NFS-style Xmas seller. That's what the FIFA reference meant, it's as traditional a purchase as the yearly football game
  • RobTheBuilder 1 May 2013 20:27:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SomaticSense I don't think people would necessarily know why, but they would notice that some of the magic and responsiveness had gone.

60fps isn't a magic sales bullet, but it adds a lot to perception of quality and polish, which is key in a high budget title like COD. When people talk about what makes Nintendo games feel as they do, frame rate is definitely a big part of it.
  • bobdebob 1 May 2013 20:53:09 587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    COD are indeed good games. But there are also much better games out there, better FPSs even, and yet it still pretty much destroys the charts every year. If 60fps was the magic bullet, then don't you think devs the world over would have cottoned on to that by now?
    COD, this gen, is one of the biggest bang for buck games available (even without DLC) only things comparable are things like Fallout 3.

COD is like Street Fighter 2 this gen, most people have got it doesn't mean they don't buy other things.
  • King_Edward 1 May 2013 21:07:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CoD and Fallout 3. Two games that perfectly demonstrate how worthless "content" can be.
  • bobdebob 1 May 2013 21:34:53 587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @King_Edward
    Says you.

I'll admit Fallout 3's main quest and plot were kind of shit but all of the side quests were great.
  • PenguinJim 2 May 2013 05:01:09 5,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup, much better than the "content" in Oblivion. Yuck!
  • beastmaster 2 May 2013 05:33:30 11,411 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The worst thing is people who don't like COD, trying to ram the fact down fans throats that there are better FPS out there. Thankfully, it falls on deaf ears. It pisses them off no end.

Just using COD as an example. People like what they like and want more of it. It's as simple as that. As a different example, I look at the TV schedule for the main channels on a Saturday evening and frankly, I find it rather depressing. I don't go around telling people they are wrong for watching it.

Edited by beastmaster at 05:33:50 02-05-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• PenguinJim 2 May 2013 07:51:43 5,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I look at the TV schedule for the main channels on a Saturday evening and frankly, I find it rather depressing. I don't go around telling people they are wrong for watching it.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.
  • Physically_Insane 2 May 2013 12:57:35 8,839 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The worst thing is people who don't like COD, trying to ram the fact down fans throats that there are better FPS out there. Thankfully, it falls on deaf ears. It pisses them off no end.

Just using COD as an example. People like what they like and want more of it. It's as simple as that. As a different example, I look at the TV schedule for the main channels on a Saturday evening and frankly, I find it rather depressing. I don't go around telling people they are wrong for watching it.
    This man speaks sense.
  • King_Edward 2 May 2013 13:06:38 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I do quite like the way the last 3 or 4 CoD threads on here have been 90% "YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY COD, PLAY BATTLEFIELD! IT'S GOT [u]TACTICS[/u]".
  • glaeken 2 May 2013 13:14:46 11,171 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    To be fair though, vizzini, Counter Strike is as popular as ever and they've not even released a map inside a decade. Dunno.
    The counter strike community is about as conservative as they come through. They never embraced new maps. I still remember whenever a new map got released and thinking yes at last another map to play and then with 30 seconds of the thing loading a server vote would kick off to change to Dust.
  • killersrquiet 2 May 2013 13:38:54 1,998 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Counter strike players are more set in their ways than most gamers. Even cs1.6 has a good player base.
  • sanctusmortis 2 May 2013 14:12:22 9,631 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think TBH the CS community's play habits is what killed off any interest in it for eSports: it's always the same maps, played pretty much the same way, ad nauseum.

I don't understand how so many websites though MS' E3 presser date was news. It's always the Monday. Always. In fact, Major Nelson put up a countdown to the E3 presser around the time the PS4 was being readied for reveal.
  • glaeken 2 May 2013 14:25:23 11,171 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah the insistence on using the same maps all the time killed CS for me as well. The problem was the played base was so into their K/D ratio they won't play a map they don't know because it might effect that precious K/D ratio.
  • Baihu1983 2 May 2013 16:56:53 3,431 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @aarongreenberg @e3expo let me guess Microsoft will be showing COD, Kinect, and useless apps

Aaron Greenberg Aaron Greenberg ‏@aarongreenberg@stoopkidrobvee @e3expo ha, nope...keep guessing.

Good sign if true.

Lucid ‏@LucidGamesLtd

So yeah, Mid-May will be interesting for the studio. We have some exciting updates coming. Stay tuned!

Edited by Baihu1983 at 16:57:51 02-05-2013
  • andytheadequate 2 May 2013 17:12:48 8,168 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I do quite like the way the last 3 or 4 CoD threads on here have been 90% "YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY COD, PLAY BATTLEFIELD! IT'S GOT [u]TACTICS[/u]".
    Not all BF fans are morons though, just a few embarrassingly vocal ones.

It'd be like telling a Quake fan to play Rainbow 6 because you can't control a squad in Quake
  • ronuds 2 May 2013 17:19:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That died down a lot with BF3 anyway, especially after they basically released a COD map pack.
  • Baihu1983 3 May 2013 09:17:48 3,431 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • Page

of 402 First / Last