Next generation of consoles come in Page 16

• Page

of 398 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 18 Jan 2013 19:27:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psychotext I have little doubt. Unless they have created one hell of a conversion kit
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 20:09:17 52,772 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Psychotext I have little doubt. Unless they have created one hell of a conversion kit
    There's a chance one of the extra chips could be a CELL I guess...
  • munki83 18 Jan 2013 20:26:59 1,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder if this generation will be based on an iterative model with a new version of the console coming out every few years.
  • THFourteen 18 Jan 2013 20:34:50 31,784 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmm looks like I might need a new laptop when these come out if I want to keep playing games on it!
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 20:36:02 52,772 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That 3gb RAM allocated to OS on the 720 rumour makes me think there's something about the machine that we just haven't guessed at yet. There's basically no reason you'd set aside that much, there's fuck all you could use it for (based on conventional wisdom).

...and yet, here we are, with basically everyone saying it.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:41:20
    Psychotext wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Pyschotext

Reading the DF article and checking the technical node configuration of IBM roadrunner after Phase 3(2009),

This setup still wouldn't preclude the AMD Jaguar 's 8 cores@1.6GHz being used as 4 roadrunner nodes(dual core Opteron 2220's 2.8Ghz) when comparing old versus new.

Assume it is a 4 node headed system, that would then allow for new PowerXCell (fabricated at 14nm) each producing (5x the performance of a normal Cell BE according to wikipedia). Placing the whole system at 6Teraflops + Dfs estimate,

But being slightly more realistic, Sony's silicon fabrication is probably still running at 28nm, and they'd either need 4 jaguar cores to substitute an dual core Opteron, or need to half clock each PowerXCell for thermal and power needs. So if this still uses the Cell Be, I think it would be 3Teraflops + Dfs estimate.

Any thoughts?
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:42:54
    vizzini wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    Seek help.
  • Lukus 18 Jan 2013 20:45:13 18,955 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Any thoughts?
    Fuck that was boring.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:48:05
    @meme

I try to ignore you, as I find very little worth in your comments. But I'm already happy to go on record saying Sony have abandoned their design principles and I was wrong to back the Cell BE project if this is how lame the system really is for PS4.

Are you happy to equally retract such comments, if it is designed for ray-tracing?
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:50:25
    This guy is a fucking warrior knight on the autistic/WoW spectrum.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Jan 2013 20:50:52 21,966 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is any of what he just said based in any kind of reality at all?

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 20:51:04 18-01-2013

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:52:27
    vizzini wrote:
    Are you happy to equally retract such comments, if it is designed for ray-tracing?
    The only comments I've made is that you're the most boring person currently alive. You wanting to be "right" about ray-tracing or whatever only cements that further. Step outside and get some fresh air.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:53:34
    @BinaryBob101

Check it all yourself. It might seem commercially unlikely, but it is all technically good.

The question remains, why wouldn't Sony just sell their Cell fabrication now if they ultimately having nothing for it to do after the PS3?
  • senso-ji 18 Jan 2013 20:57:16 5,301 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Don't get your hopes up; ray tracing requires significantly more power than some laptop processors and GPUs can provide.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 20:57:40
    "Christ, what a weekend. Woke up in a ditch in Prague after some of us got too drunk in a pub, and the dares only got higher and higher. Started with Kevin sledding down a snowy hill on the back of a wheelie bin lid. By the time the ferry stopped in France half of us were already unconscious, so we bought a tractor from some farmer guy and drove across Europe. So what did you do with your Friday night, vizzini?"

"I looked up the technical node configuration of IBM's roadrunner phase 3 so I could speculate on the PS3."
  • spamdangled 18 Jan 2013 20:57:42 27,197 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That 3gb RAM allocated to OS on the 720 rumour makes me think there's something about the machine that we just haven't guessed at yet. There's basically no reason you'd set aside that much, there's fuck all you could use it for (based on conventional wisdom).

...and yet, here we are, with basically everyone saying it.
    I'm guessing a large amount is probably set aside for Kinect 2.0?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 18 Jan 2013 20:58:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vizzini yes. Your posts would be a lot more effective if you summed each one up in ten words or less at the end of the post... Then deleted the start of the post.
  • cubbymoore 18 Jan 2013 20:59:17 36,441 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Pyschotext

Reading the DF article and checking the technical node configuration of IBM roadrunner after Phase 3(2009),

This setup still wouldn't preclude the AMD Jaguar 's 8 cores@1.6GHz being used as 4 roadrunner nodes(dual core Opteron 2220's 2.8Ghz) when comparing old versus new.

Assume it is a 4 node headed system, that would then allow for new PowerXCell (fabricated at 14nm) each producing (5x the performance of a normal Cell BE according to wikipedia). Placing the whole system at 6Teraflops + Dfs estimate,

But being slightly more realistic, Sony's silicon fabrication is probably still running at 28nm, and they'd either need 4 jaguar cores to substitute an dual core Opteron, or need to half clock each PowerXCell for thermal and power needs. So if this still uses the Cell Be, I think it would be 3Teraflops + Dfs estimate.

Any thoughts?
    If it does have the thermal output of an opteron whilst working at 6 teraflops will it have a jaguar core or powerxcell because I saw a picture of a roadrunner and it was blue but with pink stripes which assuming we're working on a hypothetical 28nm basis makes it the size of an AMD motherload. Do you get me?
  • richardiox 18 Jan 2013 21:02:46 5,414 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Friday night lolz. Meep Meep.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 21:06:31
    cubbymoore wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Pyschotext

Any thoughts?
    If it does have the thermal output of an opteron whilst working at 6 teraflops will it have a jaguar core or powerxcell because I saw a picture of a roadrunner and it was blue but with pink stripes which assuming we're working on a hypothetical 28nm basis makes it the size of an AMD motherload. Do you get me?
    @cubbymoore

I think you've got all the words there. Shame none of them are in the right order. Better luck next playing Watson's internet brain teaser ;).
  • richardiox 18 Jan 2013 21:06:42 5,414 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyway Viz/Alberto - why do you give a fuck? You've already told us the only next gen console you'll be getting is a WiiU.

Dismissing your beloved PS brand because they've ditched the dogshite Cell speaks volumes of your lack of interest in software.

Also, for the 10th time the question you won't answer: If the Cell is "all that" and the PS3 "godlike" why can't it run MGS4 in HD or sustain 30fps?
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 21:07:48
    HE'S SEEN THROUGH YOUR CODE, CUBBY

WE'RE DEALING WITH A GODDAMN MASTERMIND HERE, A MASTERMIND
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 21:10:14
    meme wrote:

Clearly that made you smile. Caps lock ON is always the mark of appreciating a fun response.
  • B0rked_Gamer 18 Jan 2013 21:12:21 1,850 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmi caps lock is funny, though.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 21:12:54
    Cubby made me smile. You made me grimace.
  • cubbymoore 18 Jan 2013 21:12:59 36,441 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    meme wrote:

Clearly that made you smile. Caps lock ON is always the mark of appreciating a fun response.
    You would fail the Turing test.
  • Deckard1 18 Jan 2013 21:17:01 25,385 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The autism is strong in this one

Called it

• Fozzie_bear 18 Jan 2013 21:17:40 15,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @vizzini yes. Your posts would be a lot more effective if you summed each one up in ten words or less at the end of the post... Then deleted the start of the post.
    Then deleted the end of it.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Page

of 398 First / Last