Next generation of consoles come in Page 143

• Page

of 398 First / Last

• ubergine 20 Apr 2013 13:53:41 1,217 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If the rumour of putting 360 backwards compatibility into the new thing is correct, they may arguably want to hold off announcing the thing as long as possible to prevent 360 sales from plummeting.

The only people the delays are pissing off is people like us, who already own whatever it is we own and will or won't buy the new thing based on its merits when it comes. They might as well piss us off to keep 360 sales as high as possible for the next few months.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 14:01:25 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Knock yourself out. I was bored shiteless getting a formal education in telecoms and networking, so I might as well put all that circuit and packet switched ;) education to some use.
    Well, just one thing, O great professional, what do modems do with ADC and DAC?

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 14:05:09 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    +1ed your latest DF article comment btw. Quality putdown.

• Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 14:05:43 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But then again I +1 all your stuff, because you are quality. Professional quality.

• Deleted user 20 April 2013 22:27:38
    Bremenacht wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    Knock yourself out. I was bored shiteless getting a formal education in telecoms and networking, so I might as well put all that circuit and packet switched ;) education to some use.
    Sadly, if you are asking me that question then don't seem to have read the very specific wording of my comment and understood it. Either that, or you don't understand the basics of audible range, sample theory, telephony, modems and what was significant about 64Khz.
  • Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 22:47:23 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    O great professional, I rarely understand the wording of your comments, because they appear but nonsense to my untrained eyes. Alas, I do not understand the basics of those things you mention, but then I'm not asking about them am I, oh great one? I'm asking about the use of ADC and DAC on PSTN lines that you referred to. Are you not referring to modems then? If not modems, then what are you referring to? Enlighten me please. You wouldn't want anyone to think you were weaselling.

I thought 'digital download' was just another marketing term, so I'm amazed to discover it was used to differentiate different telecoms structures. But then -obviously- an extraordinary individual with in-depth, professional knowledge of anything with a current running through it, wouldn't be so impressed, I guess.

• Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 22:51:26 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cats. Dogs. Cardboard. Gary Lineker. Soft Cushions. CNC tooling. Tumeric. ABS systems. CO2.

None of these words relate to DAC, ADC or modem either, but guys - I hope you're all impressed that I used them.

• Carlo 20 Apr 2013 23:05:54 17,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is not a troll but a serious question.

What's the bandwidth implications of ps4's ddr5 over my pci 3.0 16x gtx 680 with 2gb and 8gb ddr3 ram?

Edited by Carlo at 00:01:13 21-04-2013

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 20 April 2013 23:06:16
    @Bremenacht

You are the one suggesting I've said something inaccurate, but then just made a general accusation without an actual point, and still didn't when I called you out.

Hurry up and highlight the thing you believe to have “a strong whiff of inaccuracy” or be gibberish, so we can avoid spamming up the thread about whether a new xbox720 comes with SoC 360 chip.

I've used plenty of phrases that anyone else reading can wiki to check for themselves that what I said was reasonable.

Do you know what POTS stands for in telecoms?
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 23:53:29
    Carlo wrote:
    This is not a troll but a serious question.

What's the bandwidth implications of ps4's ddr5 over my pci 3.0 16x gtx 680 with 2gb and 8gb ddr5 ram?
    @Carlo

You are basically looking at having a quarter of the unified RAM and having only a 1/10th of the bandwidth to update the dedicated video RAM of the PS4.

So even if developers can successfully hide the time to update the 2GBs of gddr5, so that is appears like 8GBs, then 0.375secs of rendering time per second will be spent on just sending data from RAM to VRAM. Which in turn eats 6GB/sec of bandwidth from the read/write speed of the 2GBs of gddr5, and also leaves less than two thirds of the PCIexpress bandwidth for doing other things.

In the event that they use these same latency hiding techniques with the PS4's 8GBs of gddr5, then it could appear like 16 or 32GBs of VRAM and make the gulf even bigger. But for games based on existing engines your PC will still be running at higher resolution with higher settings and frame rates.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Apr 2013 00:00:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do like it when Vizzini provides useful advice. Not sure if its right, but I like it.
  • Deleted user 21 April 2013 00:16:31
    @RobThebuilder

If they do develop good latency hiding on the PC, (unlike I just said)it will be somewhat limited for using to scale the PS4 ram size . The speed of the blu-ray + HDD + Gigabit ethernet combined will still be about a 1/20th of the PCIExpress bandwidth remaining, so it is pretty much just 8GBs of gddr5 for the PS4.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2013 00:33:03 8,746 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PS4 is going to utterly destroy any highend PC it seems, it's all over for PCs.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Bremenacht 21 Apr 2013 01:12:43 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

You are the one suggesting I've said something inaccurate, but then just made a general accusation without an actual point, and still didn't when I called you out.

Hurry up and highlight the thing you believe to have “a strong whiff of inaccuracy” or be gibberish,
    Then I shall repeat the point five times in honour of your extraordinary high IQ:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I do apologise for you having to call me out, and apologise further for not knowing what a 'calling out' looks like.

vizzini wrote:
    Do you know what POTS stands for in telecoms?
    Yes, o formally educated one. Does this lead onto the origin of hamsters at some point, and away from the subject of ADC and DAC?

• Bremenacht 21 Apr 2013 01:14:47 15,753 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I do like it when Vizzini provides useful advice. Not sure if its right, but I like it.
    Well of course it's useful and of course it's right! Has the great vizzini ever been wrong?

• RobTheBuilder 21 Apr 2013 01:26:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Bremenacht In this case he certainly sounded right...
  • cubbymoore 21 Apr 2013 01:29:38 36,441 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One day vizinni is going to be bang on with his predictions and everyone will be all "shut up viz you is always wrong" when actually he'll be right and then you'll be all like "Aw man I can't believe we thought he was wrong."
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Apr 2013 01:37:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @cubbymoore Day of the Voxels...
  • Dirtbox 21 Apr 2013 07:11:01 76,329 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So it'll seem like it has 16-32gb of vram?

In what practical way?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 21 April 2013 07:56:56
    @Dirtbox
    I'm surprised you mentioned that.

I already fixed that comment through my next comment when I remembered the PS4 only has one pool of RAM and the relatively low bandwidths of HDD/Blu-ray won't facilitate large data pools being moved multiple times per second.

Edited by vizzini at 07:57:23 21-04-2013
  • Deleted user 21 April 2013 08:40:23
    Bremenacht wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @Bremenacht

Hurry up and highlight the thing you believe to have “a strong whiff of inaccuracy” or be gibberish,
    Then I shall repeat the point five times in honour of your extraordinary high IQ:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    @Bremenacht

If you are still wondering about Analogue to Digital Conversion and Digital to Analogue Conversion in context of modems and telephones, then read the first line of the modem wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem
  • Fake_Blood 21 Apr 2013 08:51:39 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's the difference between analog and digital signals?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 09:02:52 36,276 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One is analogue and one is digital.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Fake_Blood 21 Apr 2013 09:19:38 3,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm not from the US just to be clear.
  • Deleted user 21 April 2013 09:23:53
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    It depends on the context, analogue is still required to provide the carrier wave for a digital signal outside of the short distances of digital electronic devices. But my original point was that the telephony network underwent a significant infrastructure shift towards fully digital(as much as you can), that wasn't in the original thinking of POTS. hence why the term digital download became a common place term.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 09:37:19 36,276 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The word "digital" is very much redundant in that term I think. The data starts and ends as 1s and 0s no matter how it's transported in the middle.

I totally called it.

• heyyo 21 Apr 2013 09:42:22 14,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    The word "digital" is very much redundant in that term I think. The data starts and ends as 1s and 0s no matter how it's transported in the middle.
    /whips MrTom with £80 HDMI cable
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 09:47:55 36,276 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heyyo wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    /whips MrTom with £80 waste of money
    FTFY

I totally called it.

• Deleted user 21 April 2013 09:53:57
    @MrTomFTW

I completely agree it is becoming less relevant, and I'm not a great fan of using the phrase “digital download” other than for when making a distinction between how downloads used to be when we needed to dial-in (and were charged on a per internet access basis). Reading the original phrase I used it in, was valid imho. I was defining a difference between Ps2 and earlier from today's always on DRM and download purchases.
  • PenguinJim 21 Apr 2013 09:56:08 5,450 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    It depends on the context, analogue is still required to provide the carrier wave for a digital signal outside of the short distances of digital electronic devices. But my original point was that the telephony network underwent a significant infrastructure shift towards fully digital(as much as you can), that wasn't in the original thinking of POTS. hence why the term digital download became a common place term.
    So - and I'm just making sure I understand you here - you used the term "digital download" to make absolutely sure that the rest of us weren't confused into thinking that you meant that the next generation of consoles would only support dial-up?
  • Page

of 398 First / Last