Next generation of consoles come in Page 142

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• glaeken 19 Apr 2013 11:54:34 11,144 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought MS had officially announced something for the 21st? Of course no-one knows what it's about.

Edited by glaeken at 11:54:52 19-04-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Apr 2013 11:56:13 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't seen anything. I'd expect a massive headline on EG for it if they did :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Baihu1983 19 Apr 2013 12:04:10 3,415 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I thought MS had officially announced something for the 21st? Of course no-one knows what it's about.
    MS haven't officially announced anything.
  • glaeken 19 Apr 2013 12:13:29 11,144 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am sure I saw somewhere they had a press event scheduled for the 21st of May. Of course maybe that came from one of the numerous rumour stories EG have run.

Don't MS normally do some press event just before E3?

Edited by glaeken at 12:14:53 19-04-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Apr 2013 12:18:56 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nope, there's nothing when I search for it. It's all rumour.

• glaeken 19 Apr 2013 12:22:28 11,144 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh well I would guess if there is nothing before E3 there will definitely be a reveal at E3 itself.

I will find the whole thing much more interesting once real direct comparisons can be made between the two.
  • SomaticSense 19 Apr 2013 12:56:32 8,166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I predict that MS will announce the date of an announcement that announces the date of an announcement.

Because that's just how game publishers and manufacturers roll nowadays.

Just shoot me...
  • Benno 19 Apr 2013 12:58:45 9,844 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They need to announce something soon. The rumour mill is killing them
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 13:13:38
    With a new CFO on the way, it would be very foolish for them to make any big announcements until that person had been given a chance to review all the numbers and make projections. But I agree the rumour mill is giving them a shoeing at the moment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/18/us-microsoft-results-idUSBRE93H14Y20130418
  • glaeken 19 Apr 2013 13:15:10 11,144 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think delaying announcement will hurt them much. Those up on the rumour mill don't really equate to real people. It's just the type of people who hand around gaming forums and let’s face it we are pretty insignificant in the whole thing really.

They have a chance to steal some of Sony's thunder as well with them already knowing what Sony have announced. If they can actually do that is another question entirely but in theory knowing what your opponent has put out there should give you some advantage in reaction assuming the Nextbox does not have some massively retarded idea’s attached to it that are beyond changing.
  • SomaticSense 19 Apr 2013 13:17:05 8,166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Unless the rumours turn out to be true. In which case they'll be killing themselves.

I really hope they aren't though, as I feel a next-gen monopoly will be a bad thing. And Sony will hold a monopoly if the rumours are true.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Apr 2013 13:18:26 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    With a new CFO on the way, it would be very foolish for them to make any big announcements until that person had been given a chance to review all the numbers and make projections. But I agree the rumour mill is giving them a shoeing at the moment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/18/us-microsoft-results-idUSBRE93H14Y20130418
    Mr Mentalist, I think the numbers have already been approved this far into the cycle.

• Deleted user 19 April 2013 13:35:25
    @mcmonkeyplc

Nothing has been announced yet.

A next-gen Xbox project will have long reaching financial implications for Microsoft. So it isn't the same as changing a CFO part way through a generation and them resigned to running with whatever they inherit.

The most likely reason for changing CFOs will have been if Balmer disagreed with the CFO on major things and wanted someone new that would be on board with his future plans.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Apr 2013 13:38:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As we saw with Sony's ram surprise, everything is up for grabs until its announced. There won't be fundamental changes, but upping a part or adding now memory, these things are more than possible as part of the plans to beat PS4.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Apr 2013 13:38:47 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And you think he's going to change something that's about to be announced in 52 days or less.

Do you know how long these things take to plan and approve in a company the size of MS?

• Deleted user 19 April 2013 13:49:17
    @mcmonkeyplc

A CFO's decisions could see them move their launch date if that person deemed a different product strategy would project less risk or better longer term revenue.

So changing a CFO could alter what they show at E3.

Sony intentionally didn't show the console, to avoid the problem of being locked into the specifications, in the event they need to up it, or add B/C if the consumer failout dictates they need it. Sony only needs enough product to Japan launch this year before Christmas, and Microsoft probably needs enough for a UK and partial US launch.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Apr 2013 13:52:10 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah ok.

I can't be arsed

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 14:23:35 19-04-2013

• RobTheBuilder 19 Apr 2013 14:32:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc if it's a simple part swap or bolt on that they believe seriously increases the chance of the system making more profit, then yes.
    Anything more fundamental then no
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Apr 2013 14:33:52 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc if it's a simple part swap or bolt on that they believe seriously increases the chance of the system making more profit, then yes.
    Anything more fundamental then no
    Yeah I agree with that. It's just that Jesus over there seems to think otherwise.

• RobTheBuilder 19 Apr 2013 14:52:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc I hear what he's saying, they could delay it, but I think there would have to be a staggering amount of need before something that drastic were done.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 15:07:07
    vizzini wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc

Nothing has been announced yet.

A next-gen Xbox project will have long reaching financial implications for Microsoft. So it isn't the same as changing a CFO part way through a generation and them resigned to running with whatever they inherit.

The most likely reason for changing CFOs will have been if Balmer disagreed with the CFO on major things and wanted someone new that would be on board with his future plans.
    I don't think you have the faintest idea what a CFO does.
  • glaeken 19 Apr 2013 15:15:47 11,144 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it something to do with money?
  • crashVoodoo 19 Apr 2013 20:19:07 3,882 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @PenguinJim

I can see why you dislike the term “digital download”, but it came into use with a change from analogue PSTN (DTE, DCE devices that involved the signal going through DACADC) that pre-dates the always on DRM and online download purchase.

When the telecoms infrastructure changed to digital (ISDN/ADSL/Fibre local loop and backbone, and domestic equipment, and in mobile telecoms) the term made sense to differentiate the old internet business model that existed on the infrastructure of older analogue telecoms.
    For all the grief vizz gets on here I love that he comes back.  His OCD attention to detail makes me smile sometimes ... However, part of this could be that I know this is also fucking with other peoples heads.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Spunkweazle 20 Apr 2013 06:52:08 470 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hear that the new Xbox is powered by burning kittens, and that it has no controller just four kinect sensors permanently watching and judging you.
    There are no games as such, only micro transactions, if you want a racing game you just buy a bunch of cars a track, and some "e-petrol"

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Baihu1983 20 Apr 2013 08:26:31 3,415 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Or maybe people should stop going so OTT over said rumors? Most of which are the same ones just slightly re printed to look newish.

And look at sites like Eurogamer, Not even bothered to post the positive report from last week.
  • Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 13:07:30 17,843 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Is it something to do with money?
    Nope. A CFO's job is to schedule product launches. Chief FTW Officer. Obvious really.
  • Bremenacht 20 Apr 2013 13:23:40 17,843 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @PenguinJim

I can see why you dislike the term “digital download”, but it came into use with a change from analogue PSTN (DTE, DCE devices that involved the signal going through DACADC) that pre-dates the always on DRM and online download purchase.

When the telecoms infrastructure changed to digital (ISDN/ADSL/Fibre local loop and backbone, and domestic equipment, and in mobile telecoms) the term made sense to differentiate the old internet business model that existed on the infrastructure of older analogue telecoms.
    For all the grief vizz gets on here I love that he comes back.  His OCD attention to detail makes me smile sometimes ... However, part of this could be that I know this is also fucking with other peoples heads.
    Heh. There's a strong whiff of inaccuracy about what he says, but

- He'll wriggle so much that I'd end up arguing over the origins of hamsters
    - He still claim his point (which will have been completely lost) is correct
    - I love vizzini gibberish

so I don't think I'll bother with it.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 13:33:48
    Knock yourself out. I was bored shiteless getting a formal education in telecoms and networking, so I might as well put all that circuit and packet switched ;) education to some use.
  • Psychotext 20 Apr 2013 13:34:50 53,982 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess that explains why you know so little about so much.
  • Rodney 20 Apr 2013 13:36:01 1,872 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair, a CFO holds a lot of power in an organization, and if a new product was gonna seriously fuck with the financials then they would have some say in the matter.

I don't think this aplies to Microsoft and the next box launch but, in principle, I agree with Vizzini. Fuck.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last