Next generation of consoles come in Page 127

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Roddles 8 Apr 2013 16:06:09 1,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah. Well yeah, get a nice GPU first, then look into ugprading your CPU later (if you're going to be skipping the new consoles).
  • Deleted user 8 April 2013 16:09:33
    @RobTheBuilder

like I said not a graphics card expert always been a console gamer but this is the only gen when I'm, considering otherwise
  • Deleted user 8 April 2013 16:10:18
    Roddles wrote:
    Ah. Well yeah, get a nice GPU first, then look into ugprading your CPU later (if you're going to be skipping the new consoles).
    Surely though that CPU should still be ok for a few years right
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Apr 2013 16:12:41 6,654 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    But did we worry about our library of games on the MegaDrive, Master System, SNES, NES, Speccie, Amiga, Amstrad, etc, etc, etc.?

When I went from Xbox to 360 I tried Psychonauts and when that didn't work over VGA didn't bother. Haven't even fired up my original even though it is still hooked up alongside the 360. It might be nice to have a play for nostalgia but I'm not as likely to get into an epic game that is likely to suck hours away as I would be on a new console.
    Games like trials HD will be played for ages.
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Apr 2013 16:13:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ScoutTech It was vastly different in the age of vastly different chipsets and console hardware.

I used the Wii for playing through many Gamecube games. Backward compatibility would definitely swing my purchase to xbox if most other things were equal.
  • THFourteen 8 Apr 2013 16:15:31 32,880 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Question for EG folks(based on above):

If your Xbox Live account was linked to your PC, meaning you could play a game both on the Xbox and PC at no extra cost, would that make you more likely to buy a new xbox?
    if it was clever and i could remote play games from my xbox onto a low spec ultrabook on the sofa then absolutely.

if i would still need a high spec PC to play the game then no, i'd just stick to PC gaming.
  • Roddles 8 Apr 2013 16:16:08 1,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    @Roddles

Have an Intel Core i7 Extreme 975 @ 3.33GHz Socket 1366 LGA

Its 2-3 yrs old now
    Ah you bought one of the mental top of the line jobbies. Yeah I guess you should be fine then.
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Apr 2013 16:16:16 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @espibara Yes. It may be a little limiting on high-end games in 2-3 years, but nowhere near as much as a crap graphics card would be.

I'm on a cheap AthlonII 3 core and that's fine on everything I've tried so far. (Admittedly it is a high clock speed - 3.2ghz)

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 16:16:50 08-04-2013
  • oceanmotion 8 Apr 2013 17:25:39 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Question for EG folks(based on above):

If your Xbox Live account was linked to your PC, meaning you could play a game both on the Xbox and PC at no extra cost, would that make you more likely to buy a new xbox?
    I really doubt Microsoft would miss the oppurtunity to charge you twice.

Maybe make it a Gold feature worth paying for is more likely but publishers and devs have to agree as well. Don't see it happening. Who does it other than Valve with mac/pc and broadly?

iOS have anything like it from phone to tablet or are the games just blown up for tablets by iOS?
  • Deleted user 8 April 2013 17:58:33
    For those interested there is good feature re the ps4 in the new edge I got today.
  • atomicjuicer 8 Apr 2013 18:36:24 299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Pepsipop is that the April or May issue?

If its May ill be pretty pissed because I've a digital subscription on ipad and it hasn't come out yet..
  • beastmaster 8 Apr 2013 18:45:51 11,191 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @atomicjuicer

It's the May edition.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• dominalien 8 Apr 2013 18:54:20 6,839 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When do the new Edge editions come out on the iPad, then? I'm almost curious to get it.

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 8 Apr 2013 19:16:15 6,839 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's the April issue after all.

PSN: DonOsito

• mrpon 8 Apr 2013 20:19:29 28,487 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two free issues as well on the trial. If you're a new subscriber.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• RobTheBuilder 8 Apr 2013 20:42:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wired - Why developers are fleeing Microsoft and flocking to Sony

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/3qte
  • sanctusmortis 8 Apr 2013 20:51:17 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All these new rumours have done for me is solidify we know bugger all.
  • oceanmotion 8 Apr 2013 20:54:45 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    While MS seem to be arseholes, they still manage to cherry pick a nice selection of great arcade games. Nothing a wine and dine with a cheque if needs be to get what they want.

I expect Shadow Complex 2 for next Xbox, they must be saving it right, makes sense, why wouldn't they, believe.
  • ronuds 8 Apr 2013 20:57:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The rumours have me believing that MS wants the nextbox to replace or work in conjunction with your cable box, with the xbox being what you'll communicate with.

So you can jump from a game to regular tv to Netflix, etc. using Kinect and w/o switching sources. You'll be watching regular TV, get a friend invite to play some BF5 which overlays whatever's on the tv. While you're playing check the footy score in between rounds, etc. It'll be glorious!*

*might not be glorious
  • oceanmotion 8 Apr 2013 21:05:27 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So we have to connect a cable from our Xbox to our Sky and Virgin Media boxes ?

I wonder if they will provide the HDMI cable this time.

Edited by oceanmotion at 21:06:47 08-04-2013
  • ronuds 8 Apr 2013 21:09:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or your media box to the xbox. One or the other, but I'd also suspect that (mostly in the US), you will have an xbox instead of a media box.

All speculation!
  • oceanmotion 8 Apr 2013 21:19:10 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, no. True, all true.

You work for MS as well. Ah, found your twitter account. So, not always online but online only you say.
    :p

Guess that would be somewhat neat if I cared about more than one thing happening on the TV but quick switching would be handy, a few seconds more handy.
  • ronuds 8 Apr 2013 21:44:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We all thought they'd go after casual or hard core gamers, but in reality they're going after the couch potato - which is a much larger market than the other two combined. :p
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Apr 2013 22:03:40 23,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they offered a Netflix style "pay x per month and play as many games as you want" that could be pretty ace.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• ronuds 8 Apr 2013 22:08:19 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think they'll do that, tbh. Maybe in a limited capacity... like XBLA only or summat.
  • Spunkweazle 8 Apr 2013 22:18:48 470 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i honestly believe that dropping bc support is only a good idea if you are not interested in maintaining your current customer base, and dont want to attract new customers either.
    Most of the best xbla and psn games from this gen were not exactly stretching the capability of the consoles, the glut of HD remakes of old games shows that a good game is still a good game, the remakes were to accomodate a new generation of tvs not consoles.
    A library of good HD games is a valuble thing, especially if many of those are non transferable downloads.
    The argument that new consoles will render the current generation of games obsolete is utter bollocks, would limbo look much better in colour? would braid benefit from realistic lighting effects? what about shadow complex upgraded to a 3rd person shooter?

i want to replace my console, not sit another one next to it

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Bremenacht 8 Apr 2013 23:00:15 17,614 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Wired - Why developers are fleeing Microsoft and flocking to Sony

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/3qte
    Stuff like that does more to make me think a PS4 may be a better choice of console than the new xbox, regardless of hardware specs. Microsoft seem to have decided to make their bed with the big boys and adopt the AAA or nothing publishing culture. Safe, unimaginative, boring.
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Apr 2013 23:04:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bremenacht that and focusing a console on not being a console it seems.
  • JinTypeNoir 9 Apr 2013 01:48:15 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the topic of backwards compatibility, whether you use it or not, a non-backwards compatible platform hurts the industry in multiple ways and is a step back in terms of hardware design, no matter how unfeasible the hardware designers try to tell you it was.

As for developers, I don't doubt that Microsoft's relationship with the indie development community soured to some extent over the 360's life, but that article is suspect on multiple levels.

Small games used to win great accolades in the past -- Journey's success is not a new thing and it sales compared to the big hits would still put it in the category of a "cult hit". The very idea of a cult hit itself is a warped sort of logic that has developed from the image the larger publishers have created of the industry.

I don't doubt that there are many problems with Xbox Live Arcade from what I've heard, but all of these statements are about the 360, not Microsoft's next system. However, reportedly, there were also many problems with WiiWare and it seems Nintendo has completely changed almost everything from space restrictions to release date decisions to pricing and approval to make it easier on the Wii U. This could also be seen in how things improved on the DSi and then the 3DS as well.

So it is possible Microsoft is also making a lot of improvements. The difference would then be that Sony is being loud about it, while Microsoft is being quiet.

I'm just saying, you can't tell anything at this point in time.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 01:49:21 09-04-2013
  • pigsy2400 10 Apr 2013 08:47:36 153 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I personally think that MS will unveil and go overboard on the option to stream games from your Xbox 720 to your tablet (with an app installed at a cost of course on both bits of hardware) but you will still be able to use the actual controller as the controller when viewing your games on the tablet.

MS knows they cant ignore the tablet market that has been eating into their market for the last 5years, so why not "Jump In" and embrace it!!

I also reckon that the Kinect 2 will get a huge push, letting you scan in your own face and body into the system to replace the ingame characters

Edited by pigsy2400 at 08:49:10 10-04-2013
  • Page

of 402 First / Last