Next generation of consoles come in Page 115

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Jazzy_Geoff 13 Mar 2013 12:28:44 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it will have to use blu-ray because if they're going to push it as the only box you need under your telly, it's going to look a bit lol if they don't support what is now a mainstream video format.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 12:29:04
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I have and I can safely confirm that things in predator vision are significantly harder to differentiate than normal vision.
    Even though the predator always has the upper hand to react first?
    You do know the Predator isn't real, right?
    You would say that watching on DVD ;)
  • Dirtbox 13 Mar 2013 12:42:31 77,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I find it easier to download a film than walk across the room and put a dvd into a player, I just assume that the people who do are living in the dark ages.
    Or have a preference for high end audio, which sadly streaming and download services are never likely to offer.
    Who's talking about services?

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:44:01 13-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Spunkweazle 13 Mar 2013 13:36:10 470 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just a thought about back compat, would it be possible theoretically, to link your ps3 to your ps4 (or 360 to 720), so that you still have access to your old games, but through the new interface, and using your new nextgen joypad/sexwand/jigglestick.

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Psychotext 13 Mar 2013 13:37:59 54,015 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two machines sucking power down at once. Yay!

No.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Mar 2013 14:38:37 43,857 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I have and I can safely confirm that things in predator vision are significantly harder to differentiate than normal vision.
    Even though the predator always has the upper hand to react first?
    You do know the Predator isn't real, right?
    You would say that watching on DVD ;)
    No, but seriously. You know he gets the upper hand because it is dramatically important and not because he has weird lenses in his mask.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Ryze 13 Mar 2013 22:55:34 3,124 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spunkweazle wrote:
    Just a thought about back compat, would it be possible theoretically, to link your ps3 to your ps4 (or 360 to 720), so that you still have access to your old games, but through the new interface, and using your new nextgen joypad/sexwand/jigglestick.
    It'd be a complete and utter waste of effort, time, money and electricity, but if the 720 has an HDMI in / plugthrough capability, then yes.

The 720 could potentially connect to the 360 as a controller, and display its HDMI video output.

Complete waste of time though. There's no benefit whatsoever.
  • crashVoodoo 14 Mar 2013 01:13:40 3,883 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Todays speculation?

Both next gen consoles to release in November.
    But at the same time in all regions? I think it's pretty obvious neither will want to let the other get a jump on them but has Sony ever done a global console release? MS did it on the 360 if I remember right.

If it ends up as both launch in November but we don't get one of them until Q1 of the following year in Europe that will be a blunder I think. Unless of course they both do that.
    Yeah I'm sure Sony can also manage to do a global launch with one console for each major territory and then fuck all inventory for the next 3 months... Just like ms did

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crashVoodoo 14 Mar 2013 01:21:43 3,883 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spunkweazle wrote:
    joypad/sexwand/jigglestick.
    Burst out laughing in bed ... Very good :-)

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Ultrasoundwave 15 Mar 2013 08:48:21 3,282 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Developing for the PS4 is "a walk in the park", according to Avalanche Studios.

There we go - Sony has fixed at least one problem the PS3 had anyway.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• sanctusmortis 15 Mar 2013 11:11:23 9,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, that's to be expected with a move to x86-64 CPUs. I mean, it should, SHOULD, be just like programming a PC. Both should.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 23:01:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One thing I was just thinking of... banning used games will almost certainly result in a shrinking of scope for games, and even more of a reliance on sequels and usual formulas.

If you can't get rid of a game, you are stuck with it, making people much less likely to take a risk on a title that isn't one they know or in their usual genre.
  • Rodney 19 Mar 2013 23:40:48 1,872 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it increased first hand sales revenues for publishers wouldn't it reduce risk and result in more ambitious games?
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 23:45:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rodney Well firstly it might not increase revenue, as people won't be able to trade-in their old games. Which actually would have a negative effect on frequent series games (Fifa, COD).

Now I could buy a game for 35, and if it's not my thing, trade it in and get something else. But if I can't trade it in, it means every purchase I make I am stuck with, so I'd be less likely to buy something different.
  • mal 20 Mar 2013 00:37:26 22,473 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Well, that's to be expected with a move to x86-64 CPUs. I mean, it should, SHOULD, be just like programming a PC. Both should.
    Not sure I buy that argument. I don't work in games so I don't know, but I strongly doubt anyone coding games writes in assembler any more, except for select optimisations in very very deep core functions. AIUI the PS4's going to have a slightly different architecture than PCs that eliminates the northbridge (though I'd have thought all of AMDs APU solutions would do something like that...dunno). Details like that, and GPU specification have a big impact on optimising your games - something that's not worth doing on PC to the same degree because of the variety of setups out there, but very necessary on console games. The particular instruction set the CPU chooses to employ seems about the least important thing in the system to me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Armoured_Bear 20 Mar 2013 11:32:16 10,622 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Get used to having KINECT plugged in all the time

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Khanivor 20 Mar 2013 11:42:03 40,567 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only digital out? Phage is so fucked.
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Mar 2013 11:47:04 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I actually like Kinect, but the whole 'it must be on ALL THE WHILE' mentally is quite off-putting to be honest.

��
  • oceanmotion 20 Mar 2013 11:51:15 15,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Neat that you can play while it installs the game.

Games are tied to your account, no disc needed after install.

Updates everything in the background.

Sounds like a more seamless part of Steam.

If they can follow Steam sales if used games are getting canned, might be less of a bitter pill. Don't think MS will have a bad offline mode though so the always online thing shouldn't be the doom and gloom it sounds like, more like updates my games and stuff.

Kinect however, all the time, watching....
  • imamazed 20 Mar 2013 11:53:59 5,537 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:

Games are tied to your account, no disc needed after install.

I hardly think they'll let 100 people share the same disc and install to each of their accounts so...does this mean no pre-owned games on 720?
  • Maturin 20 Mar 2013 11:55:06 2,961 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You could just turn it towards the wall, or have a little cover for it, if you're worried about Kinect watching all the time. It's no big deal.

I'd happily swap the ability to buy used games for a more Steam-like experience on a console. It doesn't bother me on PC.

Edited by Maturin at 11:55:48 20-03-2013
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2013 11:56:28 77,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And no rentals either.

• mcmonkeyplc 20 Mar 2013 11:56:32 39,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's watching you wank!

"That's too fast dave, slow down".

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 20 Mar 2013 11:57:25 39,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what MS meant by Steam not being competition, because they're basically going to copy them exactly for consoles :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Khanivor 20 Mar 2013 12:01:21 40,567 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bet that at the very least there will be downloadable rentals. Which you have to manually 'return' by canceling the rental. No cancel, MS keeps charging you.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2013 12:02:22 77,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd doubt it. I'm not saying it's impossible, but they stand to lose money on DLC sales and so on.

It'll more likely remain as demos.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:02:55 20-03-2013

• Khanivor 20 Mar 2013 12:08:37 40,567 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Charge a quid a day for something you have to 'return' but which has no box sitting there to remind you what needs to done? They could make a fucking killing. It would be like Gold auto-renew but hundreds of thousands of them every day.
  • Khanivor 20 Mar 2013 12:09:48 40,567 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I also wouldn't be surprised to see a rental sub, a la Gamefly or Netflix. You could then sell DLC as well.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2013 12:15:24 77,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The latter is more possible, but rentals proper are still a nope. There would be uproar if people were charged hundreds for a game they'd played 20 minutes of, or were stupid enough to buy DLC for and lose the lot. It would mean the devs would have to create a new version of a game with parts that allow expansion disabled, which in the publishers mind are not relaying a full gaming experience.

It would be too complicated to keep within the realms of friendly and workable.

• nickthegun 20 Mar 2013 12:21:39 59,537 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ground for rentals is kind of being laid by PS+. You get to keep all the games as long as you keep the subs up, with most of the 'free' games being older ones that just happen to have DLC released that month.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Page

of 402 First / Last