Next generation of consoles come in Page 108

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• AaronTurner 3 Mar 2013 14:26:16 7,669 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Metro's a shooter, Amnesia's a PC game. I don't know Afterfall, I'll look it up.
    You're looking for a world where time doesn't progress. If you want to play a game that is exactly like resident evil1 then play resident evil 1. The world would be a boring place if everything stayed the same. One of the beautiful things about this gen has been the blurring of genres.
  • shamblemonkee 3 Mar 2013 14:30:00 14,296 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The fact that the current gen launched in 2005 means it would be pretty bloody hard to not have some stand-out games during that time. COD2 was a launch titles fer cryin out loud, there've been six or so since?!

They most disconcerting thing about this generation has been the apparent slide from making games that are supposed ot be entertaining in their own right to trying to make them THE GAME, this game will never leave your tray must demand all your time and be all you want - thus we have scheduled DLC, multiplayer shoved into essentially single player games, sections lopped off and sold back for real money.

On top of that is the change of focus (form MS especially) as the true purpose of putting a box under your telly comes to prominance - that games were the lever and an iThing entertainment uber box is the end goal.

That leaves those only interested in gaming understandably feeling like they are on thin ice and being used.

Of course games are pursuing ever higher levels of quality which has driven up development times and costs which is why a lot of the above is being put in place - it seems t me though that as the demande dlevel of quality will continually go up but development costs can't the focus should be on streeamlining tols to reduce the amount of wiork required, im sure that's happening but it seems like a secondary focus>?
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Mar 2013 14:54:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ubergine glad someone else is looking at this without nostalgia glasses :)
  • OptimusPube 3 Mar 2013 15:53:36 2,919 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ubergine wrote:

I have and have had more games on my 360 than I've had on all platforms added together (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, DS, GCN, XBOX) and they are going to be selling games like Fallout 3 and Max Payne 3 over download today for au$

You can make an argument this isn't the best gen ever, if you're a daft cunt.
    There could be many reasons you've got for owning more games than ever personally, way back you was a kid and had to have games bought for you or save pocket money but now you might have a well paid job, more time on your hands, but you've also got to consider that other reasons you have owned more games than ever this gen, it has lasted a long time, games are far easier to purchase via online shops or digital distribution so that's a silly argument, plus years ago people didn't have the room as the boxes were fucking massive lol.

This has been an excellent gen don't get me wrong but for me personally the 16 bit days were the best, I had over 400 games easily for various systems including Megadrive and Amiga. I was a big point and click adventure nerd back then but over the years that has transgressed into action adventures as you don't get a lot of point and clickies anymore, on consoles anyway.

It's not rose tinted specs either, I still enjoy a game of Turrican, N.A.R.C, Monkey Island, Streets of Rage, Another World, Flashback etc. all still very accessible and playable.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• King_Edward 3 Mar 2013 15:55:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    Metro's a shooter, Amnesia's a PC game. I don't know Afterfall, I'll look it up.
    You're looking for a world where time doesn't progress. If you want to play a game that is exactly like resident evil1 then play resident evil 1. The world would be a boring place if everything stayed the same. One of the beautiful things about this gen has been the blurring of genres.
    No, I'm not. I'm looking for a variety of distinct experiences, new and old. Blurred genres can obviously still be great games, like Bioshock, Uncharted or Dead Space, but a games industry that requires that a game be action focused first, and survival horror/RPG/Platformer/shooter/social sim/rts second, is obviously a bit fucked up.

You talk about blending genres, but there's no variety to it. No one is trying to blend a Real time strategy with a god game, or a music rhythm game with a twin stick shooter. It Uncharted or CoD plus whatever property a developer has lying around. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Syndicate, whatever they have.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 15:56:32
    RyanDS wrote:
    I also downloaded and tried the tex murthy games, along with Gabriel knight. And I just couldn't enjoy them.
    YOU ARE BROKEN.

(unless it was GK3)
  • mal 3 Mar 2013 16:04:17 22,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    No one is trying to blend a Real time strategy with a god game, or a music rhythm game with a twin stick shooter.
    Aren't all god games RTSes by definition? Best I can come up with for twin stick rhythm action is Gitaroo Man though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 3 March 2013 16:13:50
    Actually, if it was the GK1 from GOG then they've fucked around with it so that shaders and scalers won't work with the default config. They were all designed for CRTs. ScummVM scales by default to at least get pixel rendering vaguely right on modern screens, but DOSBox does no such thing with games set to 640x480, making it look quite the mess. Edit the CFG and whack it down to VGA mode, then enable proper scaling and it looks massively better.

Tech issues like that aside, I think the art of GK1 more than holds up today. There are some duff environments and characters, but places like the Voodoo Museum or Schloss Ritter look great.
  • King_Edward 3 Mar 2013 16:27:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mal wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    No one is trying to blend a Real time strategy with a god game, or a music rhythm game with a twin stick shooter.
    Aren't all god games RTSes by definition? Best I can come up with for twin stick rhythm action is Gitaroo Man though.
    I guess, I just picked random ones. :)

I hate this argument because I always sound so negative and bitchy. I don't hate games, I love them. It's the industry I don't like. EA, Sony, THQ and so many others have created and manipulated a market that we''re told simply can't support innovation, which is ridiculous.
  • TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 16:51:30 197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I suppose Civ is an RTS and also a God Game, but it's a fair point entirely that everything is trying to become an action adventure. I think this has been a fantastic gen, but surely everyone can see that.

I suppose you could say ZombiiU is a true survival horror game. Fuck knows who'd play that though.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 16:55:16
    Civ isn't an RTS.
  • TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 16:59:48 197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh yeh you're right it's turn based lol.

Close enough.
  • Khanivor 3 Mar 2013 17:05:25 40,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Turn based is the new real time.
  • snapthefin 3 Mar 2013 17:25:20 1 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I wanna see a Dreamcast 2.
  • TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 17:38:35 197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was literally playing CivRev on my phone about 20 minutes before I made that comment aswell.

It would be an RTS if in real life everyone took turns to do things. So I rest easy in that knowledge.
  • Kid_Icarus 3 Mar 2013 17:48:55 556 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    snapthefin wrote:
    It's already out, but they've called it Wii U instead.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 17:53:21
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    snapthefin wrote:
    It's already out, but they've called it Wii U instead.
    Unfortunately it uses the same processor Sega were going to use in 2006.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 18:07:12
    @TheMilkman

How does the mobile / console versions compare?
  • Khanivor 3 Mar 2013 18:29:16 40,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As with all console versions, slimmed down and greatly simplified. Civ Rev does a good job though as it takes the core of the PC game and builds a fresh console title around it, rather than trying to force a PC game through the constraints of an inferior machine.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 18:38:35
    @Khanivor

Sorry I meant with each other. Not the PC. Played the 360 version. Really enjoyed it but that was probably due to the simplification. First one I've played. If the mobile version is similar, I'll pick it up instead of waiting for the console version to come down in price.

Thank you for the info though :)
  • AaronTurner 3 Mar 2013 18:49:25 7,669 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    mal wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    I guess, I just picked random ones. :)

I hate this argument because I always sound so negative and bitchy. I don't hate games, I love them. It's the industry I don't like. EA, Sony, THQ and so many others have created and manipulated a market that we''re told simply can't support innovation, which is ridiculous.
    Try From Dust.

I think there has been huge innovations this gen. XBLa and PSN are shining examples of that.
  • sanctusmortis 3 Mar 2013 19:55:45 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From Dust is amazeballs, and very much a Populous style game. Brilliant stuff, really is.

There's been a ton of amazing games this gen (quick list in a spoiler so as to not annoy - Bioshock, Mirror's Edge, Portal 2, Bastion, Costume Heroes, Stacking, Trenched/Iron Brigade, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, Fallout 3, Arkham Asylum, Trials Evolution) but there's also been some real moments of platform holder stupidity (Sony's mass security breaches and patch system, firmware updates, RROD/YLOD, MS making finding XBL games so hard to find).

I'd like to think the next generation will see them smooth it all. I'd also like to think I won the lottery Friday and can give up work for the next 10 years.

Edited by sanctusmortis at 19:56:02 03-03-2013
  • daz_john_smith 3 Mar 2013 21:56:51 1,636 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    @Khanivor

Sorry I meant with each other. Not the PC. Played the 360 version. Really enjoyed it but that was probably due to the simplification. First one I've played. If the mobile version is similar, I'll pick it up instead of waiting for the console version to come down in price.

Thank you for the info though :)
    Mechanically they're the same it's just the visuals that are different.
  • TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 22:27:17 197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeh it's the same game but just the whole thing is top down rather than the fancy 3d stuff. It's a perfect mobile game for my money. Just a dead simple version of Civ you can play whenever like.

The touch controls are done pretty well too actually. There's no online though I don't think.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Mar 2013 22:46:39 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One thing that annoys me, people say there is no innovation in gaming now, yet they complain about every single innovation that has taken place.

Wii
    Move
    Kinect

People say they want innovation, but what they really seem to want is a shinier version of what has gone before.
  • daz_john_smith 3 Mar 2013 22:52:08 1,636 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:
    The touch controls are done pretty well too actually. There's no online though I don't think.
    They recently added multiplayer via an update. It seems to require Game Center so it might be online.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2013 22:54:00
    Probably because the implementations of said things weren't really very innovative in the broad scheme of things. The vast majority of titles that used the above just used them as substitutions for existing controls and genres, rather than attempting much actual innovation. One or two quality titles amongst a quagmire of poorly implemented shite doesn't solid progress make.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Mar 2013 22:58:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @meme Aye. But after 40 years of consoles we are hardly likely to get gigantic reinventions of the form.
  • King_Edward 3 Mar 2013 23:06:42 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @meme Aye. But after 40 years of consoles we are hardly likely to get gigantic reinventions of the form.
    So people should have no issue with trading in a simple button press with a confusing gesture in Mario Galaxy?

Being different isn't enough, innovation needs to be useful. Nintendo (and everyone else) utterly failed to justify the wiimote.

I already think the Wii U has done more to justify itself than the Wii ever did.

Edited by King_Edward at 23:08:08 03-03-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Mar 2013 23:16:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @King_Edward I seriously cannot comprehend how anyone who has ever spent more than 20 minutes playing games would not get the Mario Galaxy control system.

It was so utterly simple. Control as other Mario games, and shake to spin.

It added a tiny layer to an already brilliant game. In most cases the Wiimote was badly utilised, but over the games I have bought I found many games that utilised it well or lost nothing through using it.

At least Nintendo tried to do something different and make a change. Can't blame them entirely for other devs failure to use it well. It still attracted millions of people who had never been interested in gaming before.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 23:17:59 03-03-2013
  • Page

of 402 First / Last