Next generation of consoles come in Page 107

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Dirtbox 3 Mar 2013 01:33:05 77,634 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, the opening line that I quoted for one thing.

I think its hard to argue against the last generation of consoles being the best that has ever existed.
    I find it incredibly easy to argue against the current generation of consoles because they've been incredibly clumsy attempts to monetise every aspect of gaming from the word go.

Still, if you want to just ignore the staggering amount of bullshit that this generation has dealt to customers and instead focus on pretty much exactly the same bullshit that the next generation is going to continue dishing out based on a single reveal and some rumours, then I don't know what to say about that really. It's just sort of bizarre.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:28:07 03-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• bobdebob 3 Mar 2013 02:25:13 579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think this generation has been more or less the same fun as previous ones minus a few admittedly major niggles.

I think we've played games for so long that the novelty factor has worn thin.
    I'm sure QTEs are still entertaining for kids and that games we think are easy or repetitive are fresh and challenging to them.

Edited by bobdebob at 02:25:23 03-03-2013
  • beastmaster 3 Mar 2013 03:12:17 11,292 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That fucking horse armour changed everything. It proved without a shadow of a doubt that stupid people were prepared to pay for shit. The rest is history.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• PenguinJim 3 Mar 2013 09:34:01 5,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

I find it incredibly easy to argue against the current generation of consoles because they've been incredibly clumsy attempts to monetise every aspect of gaming from the word go.
    Developing games costs more than ever before, and of course publishers are trying new ways to bring in revenue from their product. While I'm pleased that they're trying different methods than just increasing the sticker price (I'm a HUGE fan of that paid-for avatar crap on 360 as a way of 'taxing' people into that stuff while leaving me alone), sadly we'll probably see a couple of games damaged by lowest-common-denominator-exploiting along the way.

I do think it's interesting in that it's exposed a lot of ignorance in gamers who don't understand games development and think that on-disc DLC, day one DLC or some sort of DLC that fits into the full game must be damaging said game. They seem to not be able to understand the idea of projecting revenue from DLC to finance extra work to be put into the content (either new or content that was going to have to be deleted to come in on the original budget). I'm not saying that it's always the case that DLC doesn't hurt the boxed game, but I haven't seen it for myself so far.

Also can't understand the idea that ALL DLC IS BAD. Of course 95% of it is dross. 95% of games are dross.
  • Dirtbox 3 Mar 2013 09:40:44 77,634 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not actually referring to DLC specifically and I know full well how much a game costs to develop now.

The fact of the matter is publishers have made a rod for their own back with higher targets for the successive generations and we're the ones who foot the bill.

Except we aren't and it's not that simple. EA's in financial shit now simply because the uptake hasn't been great for their awful sales models.

Edited by Dirtbox at 09:43:51 03-03-2013

• sega 3 Mar 2013 09:44:43 785 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have to admit, this past generation has been pretty good for me, but I'm not really a typical games consumer. Games like Super Street Fighter 4, Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy, GTA4, Sin & Punishment etc all come to mind along with some great downloadables such as Limbo and Super Meat Boy. I've also enjoyed some great retro titles like Daytona USA, Jet Set Radio, Nights and Guardian Heroes along with the Virtual Console.

However there's been so much blandness that, in general, I don't think many people will look back on this generation with much fondness. We've pretty much had one genre dominating followed by third person action games (which arn't even much different to the dominant genre) - there have been plenty of great games, as I've mentioned, but they only seemed to get passing attention. Then there's the whole DLC problem, which has wound me up no end.

I'd have loved to add Street Fighter X Tekken to my favourite games list, but every time I play it I know that a good chunk of my game is locked away. I mean in the 16-bit days we'd have Street Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 but I could just miss out the first version and buy the Super instead for no extra cost than the price of a full game. With Street Fighter X Tekken you have to buy the full game then extra on top to get the "Super" version (or the full version as I see it) - it's complete bull and it's stuff like that ruining the current generation for me. I can avoid the blandness but it's hard to avoid stuff like that.

@Boab I'm mostly a console gamer so, no, I'm not trying to one up PC gaming. I'm just fed up of the direction consoles are going and I'm just finding the PC to be a simpler solution. We already know the PS4 isn't backwards compatible and if the next Xbox isn't either, then I'll lose titles like Limbo, Super Meat Boy and all the downloadables I've bought. I'll also be without a GTA game for a start since GTA5 is a current gen game and it'll be some years before 6 is out. I'm just starting to wonder what the point is. On my PC I can keep GTA4, keep GTA5, keep all my downloadables and also play new games. It's not about putting consoles down, it's about people deciding what their options are in the next generation to keep playing the games they love.
  • RyanDS 3 Mar 2013 09:50:52 9,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I'm not actually referring to DLC specifically and I know full well how much a game costs to develop now.

The fact of the matter is publishers have made a rod for their own back with higher targets for the successive generations and we're the ones who foot the bill.

Except we aren't and it's not that simple. EA's in financial shit now simply because the uptake hasn't been great for their awful sales models.
    Bring back shareware. Which is really just the freemium model in a better format. There's even current gen stuff already doing this, such as fable.

And free dlc such as total annihilations weekly free unit which keeps the game fresh.
  • Dirtbox 3 Mar 2013 09:52:47 77,634 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I honestly can't pick out any real gems from the current generation, there were no absolute first class games that you'll want to play nostalgically in 20 years time, the whole fucking lot of it was a chore from dark cut scene to gut wrenching QTE.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be playing Galaga and wondering what happened to stop people making games being fun.

Oh, Psychonauts was good...

Oh.

That was last gen.

• RyanDS 3 Mar 2013 09:59:40 9,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I honestly can't pick out any real gems from the current generation, there were no absolute first class games that you'll want to play nostalgically in 20 years time, the whole fucking lot of it was a chore from dark cut scene to gut wrenching QTE.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be playing Galaga and wondering what happened to stop people making games being fun.

Oh, Psychonauts was good...

Oh.

That was last gen.
    I was playing manic miner yesterday and it really struck me how much fun I was having. I also downloaded and tried the tex murthy games, along with Gabriel knight. And I just couldn't enjoy them.

I have some half arsed theory in my mind that the very old, almost original games in each genre are still playable as they are just basic gaming. Nothing in between however is repayable at all as everything has gradually built on those first principles, adding in better graphics etc. however it is guarentees that shortly it will be redone again with slightly better graphics, so you will always be comparing them with games on either side which will do stuff better. Eg Gabriel knight lacked the basic fun of maniac mansion and monkey island, and more importantly looks worse as the scumm stuff is so basic it never ages, whereas Gabriel knight looks fucking ugly. This is why speccy stuff still has old school charm with its looks, whereas anything from the first 3d gen looks awful.

/theory needs work but I think is maybe heading in right direction.
  • sega 3 Mar 2013 10:01:35 785 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's down to opinion, Dirtbox. I'm sure I'll be playing the games I mentioned in 20 years time ... if I can and they don't switch the servers off or anything ...
  • Dirtbox 3 Mar 2013 10:07:05 77,634 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's all about immersion, atmosphere and evoking emotion these days.

Okay sometimes that sort of thing can be alright, but you never for a second feel like you're in a movie or you're actually saving the world, it's a game and all we're playing it for is those few moments every 10 minutes that are actually fun. The rest of the time we're stabbing buttons trying to avoid watching another sodding cutscene that furthers the banile plot surrounding unlikeable and completely unrelatable characters who you wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:07:46 03-03-2013

• TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 10:32:13 197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You should get into gaming on your mobile phone. They are all pretty much games from 20 years ago or are like them, you'd probably prefer that.

I kind of agree that it's annoying that every dev seems to want to make games that tell a story, but that was always the goal in previous gens. They just seem to do it in a much more linear way now, or as they like to call it, 'focused'.

I think there is something to be said about a good story in games though. It gives you a hook to come back to it.

This gen has been pretty good I reckon. There have been a good number of franchises that have appeared this gen like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Gears, Uncharted, Dead Space, Bioshock that are all excellent games. I'm guessing it's the dirty word 'franchise' that is putting the more dour gamers off though. Remember though, we have had XBLA and PSN too.
  • AaronTurner 3 Mar 2013 10:50:33 7,669 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's been the best generation by far for me. It's had everything from geometry wars to red dead redemption. I think you'd be hard pushed not tofind a great game covering a particular genre.
  • Maturin 3 Mar 2013 11:01:21 2,929 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I think you'd be hard pushed not tofind a great game covering a particular genre.
    There are loads of things missing from this generation we had last time around. For example there still hasn't been a truly great rally game to match up to the Evo series on PlayStation 2 (or the original McRae games for that matter).
  • King_Edward 3 Mar 2013 11:04:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's been no great Survival Horror or JRPG either.

Or Tomb Raider.
  • RyanDS 3 Mar 2013 11:04:14 9,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RTS games and space combat sims.

Though I think that is more to do with the pad on consoles not allowing the control methods offered by joystick / K&B on the PC.
  • AaronTurner 3 Mar 2013 11:20:00 7,669 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What generation did rts better than Ruse? Didn't the Wii have a Jrpg that everyone wet their pants over? The latest official rally game its meant to be decen t I thought, not to mention its a completely niche sport in of itself. Dirt 2 was fun even if it missed longer stages. Dead Space Was one of, if not the best survival horror I've played.
  • RyanDS 3 Mar 2013 11:21:30 9,154 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    What generation did rts better than Ruse? Didn't the Wii have a Jrpg that everyone wet their pants over? The latest official rally game its meant to be decen t I thought, not to mention its a completely niche sport in of itself. Dirt 2 was fun even if it missed longer stages. Dead Space Was one of, if not the best survival horror I've played.
    Dune 2, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Red Alert, Total Annihilation.

All better than Ruse. I really did try to like Ruse, but it just didn't click.
  • AaronTurner 3 Mar 2013 11:23:39 7,669 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are they not PC games?
  • gelf 3 Mar 2013 11:28:20 188 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not big on most FPS games, cover shooters, WRPGs or serious racers. I'll play and enjoy the best examples of them but I tire of them quickly and don't want to play them too often. While there still a decent number of good games outside that list its slimmer pickings then last gen I'd say.

It depends what games you like how much one gen supposedly invalidates another. In my case if you hate the cover mechanic the number of 3rd person games you can play this gen is reduced significantly. Also one good game in genre doesn't suddenly render all previous efforts worthless.

And yes indies do make up for some of that but not entirely, and smart phones are a non starter as touch controls are awful.
  • OptimusPube 3 Mar 2013 11:39:45 2,917 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd still play Portal 2 and Mirror's Edge in 20 years time, just sayin'.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• mcmothercruncher 3 Mar 2013 11:48:01 6,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Demons'/ Dark Souls stand as a beacon this generation, both artistically, structurally and non fleece-the-customerally.
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Mar 2013 12:15:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dirtbox how did I say everyone believed that?

"I think it's hard to argue against."

It's hardly "Everybody knows this is right."

You are focusing only on the negative of this generation, and almost entirely on the positives of the older generations. Not all DLC is bad, but it's all optional. There are plenty of cases of great DLC content, but like all aspects of gaming the majority is always (and always has been) a bit poor.
    Not saying you are, but you are coming across as if you have been very jaded about this generation from the start and are looking back with a bit too much rose tinted vision.

It's your opinion of course, as this is mine. But I haven't heard anything yet that makes me think I should reconsider what I think was a reasonable statement of opinion.
  • Bremenacht 3 Mar 2013 12:18:38 17,687 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    And Demons'/ Dark Souls stand as a beacon this generation, both artistically, structurally and non fleece-the-customerally.
    Yeah, they're about as strong and unique an experience as you'll probably find this gen. They're the games we dreamed of when playing blocky dungeon-crawlers 20 years ago.
  • Benno 3 Mar 2013 12:44:50 9,813 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    You should work in marketing
  • Benno 3 Mar 2013 12:45:56 9,813 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the Souls game were something special. You just know they're going to fuck it up next game though. As soon as I heard the word 'accessible' I cringed and folded into myself.
  • King_Edward 3 Mar 2013 12:50:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Even if we pretend DS was a survival horror rather than a gory action game, and you believe it was great rather than decent, it's still only a single game. Compared to a dozen or so from the last gen or the gen before.
  • OptimusPube 3 Mar 2013 13:11:11 2,917 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Even if we pretend DS was a survival horror rather than a gory action game, and you believe it was great rather than decent, it's still only a single game. Compared to a dozen or so from the last gen or the gen before.
    Amnesia - Dark Descent, Afterfall: Insanity and you could say Metro 2033 as well IMO to name a few more.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• King_Edward 3 Mar 2013 14:02:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Metro's a shooter, Amnesia's a PC game. I don't know Afterfall, I'll look it up.
  • ubergine 3 Mar 2013 14:14:20 2,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's pretty easy to argue this gen is the best ever. Hardware is the most capable ever, digital distribution has made games that would never otherwise have been viable either possible or even hits, DLC means huge games can get huger for the insatiable, patches often include new features and of course improvements. Old classic games can live again on new platforms. Games cost tens or even hundreds-ish of millions to make yet are cheaper to the consumer than they were in the NES era.

I have and have had more games on my 360 than I've had on all platforms added together (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, DS, GCN, XBOX) and they are going to be selling games like Fallout 3 and Max Payne 3 over download today for au$5.

It is absoutely a golden age in gaming. The game of the year was an adventure game. Adventure Games Came Back This Gen, and all because of digital distribution.

You can make an argument this isn't the best gen ever, if you're a daft cunt.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Page

of 402 First / Last