Next generation of consoles come in Page 106

• Page

of 398 First / Last

• oceanmotion 2 Mar 2013 11:49:33 15,243 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably easier to create a cool animation with a limited trigger instead of coming up with new game play. That is what most games are like now.

They have to find better ways to advertise games. Looking at XBLA, the games sell fuck all outside of a few hits. Doesn't say much for the eyeballs Xbox Live gets. I wonder if they could Netflix some catalogues of games, better than nothing.
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 11:59:49 76,319 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Introducing the Long Time Event.

7 hours of continuous, partially interactive button mashing cutscene.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• OptimusPube 2 Mar 2013 12:21:34 2,404 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    sega wrote:
    Aye but if games like Journey and Limbo grip you, you have to realise that they're modern games. If it was an age thing for you, OptimusPube (great name), then you wouldn't like those games either. You're also excited by some upcoming games, so you're clearly not cynical and bitter but rather fed up with the state of modern gaming in general. I personally think it's the loss of love from the developer. Journey and Limbo both seem to be made with a bit of creativity and passion - all the games you mentioned have.

Basically I'm just saying you guys aren't alone and a lot of younger gamers feel the same way. The industry has just lost its way and we're clinging on to a bit of hope that we'll see creativity and passion return before there's nothing left for us.
    I'm not cynical nor bitter just jaded, I love the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted series but the latest instalments of both of those felt rather stale, I have two boys on the other hand and the eldest is bouncing off the walls with excitement with the announcement of the PS4, I wish I could feel that sort of excitement again. I've got him into a bit of PC gaming as well, he's only got a fairly weak netbook but it's good enough for games like Minecraft which he loves.

Just give me another goddamn Mirror's Edge (an original concept just forgotten about), I own it on both Steam and PS3 and has to be my favourite game this gen.

Is it supposed to be like this?

• RobTheBuilder 2 Mar 2013 12:35:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dirtbox Wow, I can't agree at all there. (Faulty machines aside)

This generation hasn't been perfect, but it has given us several of the best games ever made, plus many many excellent titles. Reliable online multiplayer. In addition, the titles from this generation will age a lot slower than those of PS/PS2 era.

Sequels and dying developers have been happening forever. That's hardly a unique problem to this generation. The 16bit generation was brilliant in parts, but was filled with huge software prices (69.99 for SF2 Turbo, 50 for Mario AllStars) and lots of substandard releases. You also didn't have the longevity of titles, and no online, local multiplayer was often patchy at best.

Sure we have had to wait too long for new hardware, but I can honestly say I have got more fun gaming out of this generation that any before it.
  • OptimusPube 2 Mar 2013 12:54:58 2,404 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I disagree, this generation has had consoles turn into glorified PC's, buggy games getting released then with patch after patch, and a lot of games have had ridiculous amounts of DLC that if you had bought it all for one of them the games come to over a hundred pounds, just look at LittleBigPlanet or the Tiger Woods games, it's just ridiculous, even the Assassin's Creed games have whole chapters missing mid game that are only available as DLC, that is just greed.

Don't get me wrong this gen has been great up until a couple of years ago for me personally, I just got sick of inserting a disc on a day one purchase game for it to bloody update taking ages depending on the size of the patch, I may as well dug out my old C64 and loaded a game on that it would have been quicker, PC gaming it is for me for now, at least the updates on Steam aren't as intolerable. Things may change though because I never say never although I just did :) I'll leave this next gen to mature a couple of years before diving in if at all.

• robthehermit 2 Mar 2013 12:59:29 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Introducing the Long Time Event.

7 hours of continuous, partially interactive button mashing cutscene.
    The Walking Dead says hello.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• PenguinJim 2 Mar 2013 13:15:39 5,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Asuma's Wrath is another candidate. I found the demo strangely appealing, though... :p
  • Gambit1977 2 Mar 2013 13:29:00 9,541 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Online games are a bit of a difficult one to be fair. Most sell quite a few in the first week as everyone tries to keep up, only for them to clog up shelves once they're discovered to be awful (brink, anyone)?

I enjoyed the 16 bit era as you were more vigilant with your money (parents money), and less likely to buy any old crap.
  • Benno 2 Mar 2013 13:40:34 9,390 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World of Warcraft/other MMOs, and most RTS games.
  • oceanmotion 2 Mar 2013 13:42:17 15,243 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Team Fortress 2 is one I miss.
  • Bremenacht 2 Mar 2013 13:48:20 15,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    In addition, the titles from this generation will age a lot slower than those of PS/PS2 era.
    Come on! You've got no basis for saying that.

I played ICO the other day and loved it. I still play Pikmin 2 every now and then. I even had Halls of the Things going over Christmas. How old are they?

Plenty of great games this gen -maybe more than last gen- but not they're not notably superior to anything from previous gens.

For every step gaming seems to take forward, it often takes one back. So, we seeing more and more games released before they're finished and more thought going into the development of long-tail revenue (DLC etc) then we see on creativity or even bog-standard QA! We're seeing DLC being pushed out the door even before the first game-fixing patches! How crap is that?

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 2 Mar 2013 13:51:11 15,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Skeletors_Aunty wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The PC has always and will always offer more choice, whether through emulation on your TV or playing native games hunched in front of a monitor, it's quite literally the last vanguard against the onslaught of mega publisher AAAAAA crud and offers small and large developers alike an outlet for whatever their imagination can devise rather than what market trends dictate.

All the cash that's been poured into marketing consoles might have brainwashed the masses and that probably sounds fanatical to those people, but it's the undeniable truth of it.
    Could you give some examples of totally awesome games that feature on PC but not consoles. I am quite happy with console gaming and don't share your view that everything other than PCs are shit. What PC titles are you reffering to when you say PC gamimg is better?
    As a typical console player, I'd point out the Civ series, TF2 (constantly being developed and improved; how many additions on xbox?), Starcraft, Company of Heroes, WoW (if you like that sort of thing)..

:D silly question.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• sega 2 Mar 2013 13:53:24 523 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's also, as well as the modern games available, access to an amazing back library. I'm a huge sucker for point n click adventure games so having all of those available to play is gaming bliss for me. There's also every PC game from the last generation and the one before that going right back to the start of gaming. I've yet to find an older PC game that I've wanted to play that I haven't been able to get running on my modern laptop fairly simply.

Then there's emulation. Say what you will about it, but I enjoy playing a lot of old console titles that I know will never see a release again. As someone he mentioned loving the Amiga, you can play all Amiga games on your TV via a laptop and a gamepad if you so wish.

I've always been about the consoles. I just liked the simplicity but that seems to be going now so I don't see the point any more. It's like every generation you have to build up a collection again from scratch, spend a ton of money and know all these games you're currently loving will count for nothing next time around. Frankly I just want to play the latest games and still enjoy a quick go on Outrun 2 or Jet Set Radio when I feel like it because great games should last forever.
  • oceanmotion 2 Mar 2013 13:58:31 15,243 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weird how they don't sell GOTY versions on the Xbox marketplace, need that option to sell extra DLC at all costs I suppose. Can't be seen as being nice once in a while.
  • OptimusPube 2 Mar 2013 14:08:09 2,404 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The mods alone in games such as Skyrim, GTA4 and Portal 1&2 to name a few are what sells PC gaming to me, games are so easy to install and run compared to years/O.S.'s of past, it's so easy to check if your system will run a game with the correct websites, as for exclusive PC games that's a stupid question as there's literally hundreds, oh and emulators ahoy so much fun to be had.

As for playing old games I installed Beneath a Steel Sky on my lads netbook and he's played it to death and loves it, when I have the money I'll buy him a decent laptop and his own controller and I'll install all the emulators and game roms for him, and guess what it all costs nothing software wise, hundreds of hours of free entertainment, how many free games do you get on XBLA, PSN, WiiU Eshop?

• Deleted user 2 March 2013 14:32:06
    PC gaming is great as is console gaming. Not sure why these clowns seem to want to one up everything. Its just gaming.
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Mar 2013 15:10:31 1,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Full disclosure first :-) I'm 41 years old. I grew up with the ZX81 and then progressed ( and loved ) the Spectrum. I have been in gaming ever since and enjoyed pretty much all the major platforms. The only really major platform I missed out on owning was the DreamCast although I had the dubious "pleasure" of owning both the Jaguar and the CD32.

An alternative view for me. For me personally this has been the greatest generation of games. I actually got bored of the PS1 era. I know that's going to be a shocking statement for a lot of you. Although there were some seriously amazing games and many franchises that we know and love were born with the PS1 ears and yes there was a greater range of games BUT the technical limitations and fact the console was so popular caused an awful LOT of shit to be made for it. Just as people moan about tFPS games of this generation the platformer was the FPS of that generation. OH LOOK another cute platformer game. I stopped playing video games. It got a PS2 about mid way through it's life and then got an XBOX and PS3.

The level of immersion that processor power and graphics power have given to games has been amazing. Games this gen became more; games became worlds and interactive stories. Sure, in other generations games have had stories and there are a few stand outs that do that well but it's only with this generation and the power they bring we have been able to release the full potential of building world sand stories. Sure, graphics are not everything but I wouldn't have loved the games I love as much if there graphics were not so good as to really draw me into that world that's been created.

I love games now more than I ever have. For all you saying oh there are so many soulless sequels. Well, it's ALWAYS been that way. I remember reading Spectrum magazines such as Crash with constant articles asking if gaming was dying because of all the soulless arcade conversions, poor movie tie ins, and plethora of sequels. I remember similar stuff with the Amiga/ST, 16 bit console gen, playstation gen. It's always the same. A few games come out that are amazing and made with high passion and art and the rest is... Same with any medium be it art, music, books, movies. Who was that author that said 90 percent of everything is crap? I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Look at the amazing things this gen has given us! Personally, I think Dark Souls is one of the best games of all time and Fallout 3. I'm counting Fallout as this gen because although it's based on an older game the 3D world and mechanics are new. There are some disturbing trends - most worrying is this micro transactions EA is trying to foist on us. I'm truly excited by the future. There are just as many positive trends as there are negative. It's easy to look to the past with nostalgic eyes and cherry pick the good bits.

Changing subject.

I think we are reaching the Megapixel moment with gaming. For years in photography they sold cameras touting megapixels of the camera. Just as with computers and Megahertz it's a way to sell to the average joe that doesn't know enough to know any better. A simplistic number sells. Cameras reached the point where every camera had about as big as megapixel number as you could ever want. Hell, even mobile devices have 8 megapixels and upwards. So the camera manufactures started touting various features instead of megapixels in their war against each other. So it is with consoles.

We are approaching, or have, the point where better graphics are not going to really mean that much. Games look good already they will just have better lighting and textures. We won't see the same leap we saw with previous years. It's going to get harder too as time goes on with lesser and lesser returns. And so now I think it's going to be about services and features. I think this is going to be the battle ground between Sony and Microsoft. Sony is pinning it's flag to gamer centric services and features and it seems that Microsoft is pinning it's flag to multi media. I personally think this is a mistake since people won't buy something so expensive simply to be able to play music or watch a movies. There are so many ways to do the same far more cheaply. No, those things are great extras but simply extras.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 15:18:45 02-03-2013
  • themanfromdelmonte 2 Mar 2013 15:12:26 540 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    2 things tell me PC gaming ain't the rosy garden people paint it as.

1, experience. Bought a PC with the best intentions in the late 90s. It ended up being used for gaming and I ended up spending more than a PS2 would have cost, turning it into a Trigger's broom and it still started to struggle with the latest games long before the PS2 gen ended.

2, how PC gamers need to justify their choice. You like gaming on you PC, good for you. Please stop derailing threads to bang on about it. Cheers.
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Mar 2013 15:23:37 12,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    themanfromdelmonte wrote:
    You like gaming on you PC, good for you. Please stop derailing threads to bang on about it. Cheers.
    The thread is called "Next generation of consoles incoming" and not "gather ye here for the console reacharound". It's in General Gaming. The new consoles are basically PCs.

Here and now, more than ever, it's very much on topic to be talking about what PCs can do and how the consoles might not be the force they once were in the coming generation.

I think it's all very interesting and wonderfully troll free thus far, and some distance from a derailing.

Also, your PC anecdote was a bit shit. :)
  • Deleted user 2 March 2013 15:28:27
    Finally gave Ironoman a mod tag.
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Mar 2013 15:28:56 12,722 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :)
  • sanctusmortis 2 Mar 2013 15:40:43 9,590 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This gen has been pretty fucking lame, all in.

Looking at PS3 was not much better. 7 entries to get within a year, and that's Walking Dead.

The last 2 years have been fucking lame washouts to other things than gaming. Netflix has become one of the biggest uses of either machine, and that's awful. The games coming out have dropped in quality, and exclusives are far rarer. It's gone on far too long, and the energy's gone away. It's pretty obvious that the big memorable things this generation are going to be PC-esque issues that consoles have had - day one patching, hardware overheats leading to recalls and returns, having to install games, and the real creativity is in the smaller cheaper indie titles.

Edited by sanctusmortis at 15:43:52 02-03-2013
  • dominalien 2 Mar 2013 16:27:05 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, nothing like some numbers to tell us if we're having fun or not. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 19:19:58 76,319 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Dirtbox Wow, I can't agree at all there. (Faulty machines aside)

This generation hasn't been perfect, but it has given us several of the best games ever made, plus many many excellent titles. Reliable online multiplayer. In addition, the titles from this generation will age a lot slower than those of PS/PS2 era.

Sequels and dying developers have been happening forever. That's hardly a unique problem to this generation. The 16bit generation was brilliant in parts, but was filled with huge software prices (69.99 for SF2 Turbo, 50 for Mario AllStars) and lots of substandard releases. You also didn't have the longevity of titles, and no online, local multiplayer was often patchy at best.

Sure we have had to wait too long for new hardware, but I can honestly say I have got more fun gaming out of this generation that any before it.
    What?

Firstly, the titles from this generation are services that will die with the consoles, and don't try to tell me that gaikai is a good substitute, I've used it. Online multiplayer will die when fewer and fewer people play the game, already dozens of games from this generation have had their servers turned off, rendering the multiplayer aspect useless. As for games of this gen not ageing, you have no idea how wrong you are there; by the time the next generation comes along, you'll find 30 frames a second as unplayable as I do now.

Dying developers has never been such a bad problem because games have never cost tens of millions to produce until now. Sequels weren't the main dish as there were still acres of uncharted territory in gaming, allowing for fresh IPs and play styles. Some games may have cost more on release, but if you add up how much a game now costs plus all it's DLC, I think you'll find it's not cheaper in any way. At least you got the entire game then. Shovelware is a bigger problem now than it was then, just look at the lion's share of Nintendo's releases over their last generation. Longevity? I still play 16 bit games that I've played and completed dozens of times, as do many people. And I've never had as much fun with a game as I have playing local multiplayer like Bomberman, Street Fighter or Mario Kart. Patchy my rosy red arse.

I'm glad you had a good time this generation, but it was so far from being the best that it's almost painful to hear anyone utter those words like it's indisputable fact. It's an opinion, and one that isn't held by many who have witnessed at least a few generations.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:38:22 02-03-2013

• RobTheBuilder 2 Mar 2013 20:16:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dirtbox Hmm.

1. Gaikai etc is a terrible substitute for backwards compatibility. But that is a problem with the next generation, not this one.

2. If you really think that most developers won't aim for a 30fps standard then you are vastly mistaken. All developers aim for high frame rates - most then drop them in order to improve visuals as the console lifespan progresses. It has been that way from 8bit days to now, and won't ever change unless mandated by hardware manufacturers.

3. Dying developers is always an issue, and will be as production costs go up. But you can also argue that these mentalities have been a driver of the big increase in indie and smaller developers who use XBLA and PSN to sell their wares to a market they never could before without big publishers.

It's only natural that it's harder to develop fresh ideas as a medium moves along. But if you count both full price and download indie games then there has been a huge range of ideas and styles. The glut of FPS games we have is only the same as the never ending flood of platformers on the Megadrive and SNES.

4. If you only include bad DLC then maybe, but most good DLC pieces are add-on chunks to games that already offer far more gaming time per pound than any 16bit title ever did. I've played thousands of games on thousands of machines, and if you think the average 16bit title offered longevity you are very much thinking nostalgically. Of the the best few games did, but I bet you the best few games of this generation offer a huge amount more. By time I get to level 50 in Borderlands 2 I'll have played over 150 hours, even playing Super Mario World over 3 different systems won't come to that kind of figure.

5. Wii had a huge problem with shovelware, but so did PS2, and (to a slightly lesser extent) so did PSone.

6. Patchy. There were a few magnificent exceptions, you missed Unirally btw :), but in the main games either didn't have, or had iffy multiplayer.

I don't think there is much between the generations, all of them have provided great experiences with good and bad areas. But when I tally up the number of great experiences, the number of hours of fun, and the cost of doing so - this generation is the winner for me.

I can see your point in that I can't imagine future generations being as obsessed at playing (eg) Fallout 3 as they are about Sonic and Mario Kart. But as experiences at the time, I still think you're wrong, though I respect your opinion.
  • Rodney 2 Mar 2013 20:19:15 1,681 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bit of a false comparison. You don't need to buy DLC. I have never bought any DLC snd I've yet to play a game that feels incomplete.

I dont think we'll know whether this gen has dated as badly as others until a few years. 16bit has dated less for me than the PS1 era (excluding PC games) and I think its safe to say that this gen will date less than the PS1 era.
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 20:33:45 76,319 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder I could dissect your list, but I think I've made my case and I don't need to highlight what a grumpy old fuck I am any further. Just don't go proclaiming your minority opinion like it's what everyone believes. If you can do that then I can easily respect your opinion too.

• RobTheBuilder 3 Mar 2013 00:23:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dirtbox I'm not sure where at any point I claimed it was what everyone believed.
  • Page

of 398 First / Last