of 402 First / Last

• Flying_Pig 24 Feb 2013 19:23:24 10,895 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This.
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:25:05 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The power of brand. From what I can tell, Sony's entire conference was aspirational maybes and MS haven't even done a reveal yet so the only people putting money down on the PS4 now are a very special breed of idiot.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:25:27 24-02-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• PhoenixFlames 24 Feb 2013 19:28:08 8,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The power of brand. From what I can tell, Sony's entire conference was aspirational maybes and MS haven't even done a reveal yet so the only people putting money down on the PS4 now are a very special breed of idiot.
    I see what you're saying, but again playing devil's advocate, maybe it's good enough to know that the console will play all the latest releases and last 6-7 years. What else is there to know?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:29:44 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What those games are, what the focus of the box is, what it's drawbacks and strengths may be and how they best suit my media and gaming needs.

For a start.

For example, the PS3's local streaming and media stuff is better for me than the Xbox's pay to watch your netflix subscription rubbish.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:33:06 24-02-2013

• PhoenixFlames 24 Feb 2013 19:33:37 8,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    What those games are, what the focus of the box is, what it's drawbacks and strengths may be and how they best suits my media and gaming needs.

For a start.
    Well, the games are all the latest releases for the next 7 years. PS4 has the blu rayz, 720 doesn't. Decision made.

:-)

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:34:33 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How do you know if the 720 doesn't have bluray? Did they do a reveal no one told me about?

The rumours disagree.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:35:23 24-02-2013

• PhoenixFlames 24 Feb 2013 19:36:59 8,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    How do you know if the 720 doesn't have bluray? Did they do a reveal no one told me about?
    No, I was just kidding. Although I thought that Sony invented Blu Ray so Microsoft wouldn't "concede" and use it.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:39:34 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, Sony didn't invent it, it was a joint venture between half a dozen electronics companies. MS released their console a year earlier so missed the boat. No reason at all they shouldn't use it now.

• Deleted user 24 February 2013 19:42:48
    MS are one of the patent holders of the codec as well.
  • PhoenixFlames 24 Feb 2013 19:44:47 8,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting to know. In which case, I'll definitely wait to see what MS has to offer. When are they likely to announce?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• oceanmotion 24 Feb 2013 19:49:20 15,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even MS are involved in Blu-Ray with a codec, VC-1 or something.

Anyway, I think people are underestimating Microsoft. The direction of Kinect and Entertainment services is no mystery but you would be silly to think the masses wouldn't be attracted to a console that does those better with more bells and whistles along with COD, Fifa etc. and new stuff.

Some people saying maybe PS4 this time because of the MS direction, yeah when MS release some good stuff, people may come crawling back because good games are just that and we want to play them. Microsoft want to expand the platform and stay relevant while also keeping the core crowd. I agree, it sucks when they drift into casual land but there is always good stuff.

Sony is one who should be worried if plan A doesn't work.
  • Kid_Icarus 24 Feb 2013 19:56:21 556 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure where I stand on the next-gen. With that fancy controller, all that RAM and the Eye possibly packed in with the PS4 it's going to be hideously expensive isn't it?
    And if Microsoft's specs are more modest, it'll be the slightly cheaper alternative which will definitely count for something, especially with backwards compatibility. I have a feeling the sales numbers will be a similar stand-off to this gen.

Of course what will really make my mind up is games. If they can pull in some decent new IPs at the start, like MS did with the 360, they'll have my sale, but the only game that interested me at the Sony thing wasn't even an exclusive. :/
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:59:32 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Interesting to know. In which case, I'll definitely wait to see what MS has to offer. When are they likely to announce?
    E3 certainly, but there might be a thing in April if the rumours are to be believed.

• PhoenixFlames 24 Feb 2013 20:04:45 8,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems like the best thing to do is put 400 aside and wait.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 20:07:52 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait until they're out and whether or not they match up to the expectations that have been laid out. The only people that ever get burned, but deny it until the end of days are early adopters.

• Deleted user 24 February 2013 20:12:12
    Spend the 400 on coke and hookers
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Feb 2013 20:13:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is early to make judgements, but I think it is a sound argument to say that Microsoft need to REALLY impress either in spec/price or games to stand a chance.

A 90 minute Kinect focused event might as well be labelled as a funeral for xbox. (unless the Kinect v2 does something incredible.)
  • Progguitarist 24 Feb 2013 20:16:14 10,421 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think it matters if it's incredible or not. I don't think people want to play games in that way.
  • Kid_Icarus 24 Feb 2013 20:17:27 556 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    unless the Kinect v2 does something incredible.
    Like actually work?
  • ResidentKnievel 24 Feb 2013 20:19:07 6,182 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 24 February 2013 20:21:24
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Seems like the best thing to do is put 400 aside and wait.
    Aye, I'm putting money aside now anyway for a holiday so I'm going to save a bit more. I've preordered the PS4 and will also preorder a nextbox just in case. One will be cancelled at a later date.

The Sony conference was a bit wet, though I like where they're pointing the thing. Ball's in MS's court. I'm also curious about Valve's Steambox Piston thing.
  • NotSoSlim 24 Feb 2013 20:27:49 3,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    I'm not sure where I stand on the next-gen. With that fancy controller, all that RAM and the Eye possibly packed in with the PS4 it's going to be hideously expensive isn't it?
    And if Microsoft's specs are more modest, it'll be the slightly cheaper alternative which will definitely count for something, especially with backwards compatibility. I have a feeling the sales numbers will be a similar stand-off to this gen.

Of course what will really make my mind up is games. If they can pull in some decent new IPs at the start, like MS did with the 360, they'll have my sale, but the only game that interested me at the Sony thing wasn't even an exclusive. :/
    So wait until E3 and decide. Majority of Sony devs showed nowt and sure MS have a few shocks. However you need to get off the price issue.

Console and camera will be cheap to make so it all depends on how cheap. Personally think it will be between 350 and 400 with MS 50 cheaper but again just wait until E3
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Feb 2013 20:45:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    unless the Kinect v2 does something incredible.
    Like actually work?
    Nailed.
  • Kid_Icarus 24 Feb 2013 20:51:42 556 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Obviously I'm not going to make the decision for a while, they were more just general thoughts on how they might do. Price isn't a major issue, but if the Xbox is 300 and the PS4 400 and they both play the latest games it might be hard to justify spending the extra cash. Especially to the average CoD/FIFA gamer.

As for the games I guess I was just hoping for something amazing to be excited about. But I'll have to wait for that I suppose.
  • NotSoSlim 24 Feb 2013 20:55:15 3,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldnt shock me to see Sony do a cheap model to get it near that 300 mark. Hopefully they do even if i go with top end model.

I cant see MS going 300 mind but offering the mobile type price model from certain retailers
  • sanctusmortis 24 Feb 2013 21:03:53 9,628 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If either is likely to price low, it's MS. They know full well that what matters is getting the box in homes. Sony can afford to make a loss on hardware, but not a big one. MS will have the full warchest behind the 360's successor.

If the Epic quote about 2.5 Teraflops being the goal for the new Xbox (which from a little research seems originates from a quote about the Samaritan demo), then things have certainly changed since the original development kit leak (which was July last year, and is still what was quoted in the face-off by Digital Foundry not too long ago). That's not a surprise; the same happened with the 360, which had its RAM doubled after Epic bent their ear (see paragraph 3.

We will honestly not know until MS show, so until it happens we're all in the dark.
  • PhoenixFlames 24 Feb 2013 21:05:49 8,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Spend the 400 on coke and hookers
    I've got 10k put aside for that.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Short-Round 24 Feb 2013 21:45:27 1,181 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I don't think it matters if it's incredible or not. I don't think people want to play games in that way.
    Seems to be that we're in a vocal minority though. Everything that's put us off xbox, the ads, the expensive digital games, kinect, for every complaint I read about these things, there's an interview with an MS mouthpiece saying these things are going great for them :)
  • King_Edward 24 Feb 2013 21:49:44 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't see any Kinect games troubling the charts.
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 21:53:05 77,731 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why do people go on about teraflops? They've got little to nothing to do with game performance because they don't use floating point calculations. ROPs and texture units are far more applicable.

Flops are a lab condition measurement of raw execution rate that have nothing to do with the things that matter. Performance is dependant on response time, number of pipelines, pipeline length, cache size, cache latency, cache associativity, instruction sets, register size, number of registers, etc etc.

STFU about terafuckingflops.

Edited by Dirtbox at 21:56:45 24-02-2013

• Page

of 402 First / Last