Next generation of consoles come in Page 96

• Page

of 398 First / Last

• PhoenixFlames 22 Feb 2013 23:17:13 8,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Blotto wrote:
    Adding to possibly dumb questions about PC's, what's stopping me from connecting it to my TV and using it like a console?

Would a PC even connect to a TV?

/knows literally nothing
    Mowgli posted this literally 2 pages back

mowgli wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh455l3348s

Hmmm, starting to come round to the idea.

Oh, BF3 was set to low. Gay.
    That lot was 300 notes. Pretty sure if you up your budget a touch then it'll be pretty respectable.
    Just watched that vid. I'm pretty sold on building my own PC now. The only question I have us about controllers...I'd want to use a wireless 360 controller.

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• sanctusmortis 22 Feb 2013 23:25:48 9,590 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames You want this then.

It really is that simple; you just sync it like any 360 wireless pad when connecting to the console for the first time, and re-sync with the 360 to use it there.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2013 11:27:48
    Playing crysis 3 has made me see that I will be buying either ps4 or new Xbox on launch.

Although pretty you can see the limit has been stretched to breaking point.

Time to upgrade.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2013 12:01:42
    I think its fair to say theres been a few games that have been like that in the last year. Battlefield 3 was severely butchered to get it going. Skyrim to some degree and far cry 3 as well.

Saying that the tech in the current gen consoles certainly have held up impressively. For starters they only have 10% of the ram that the ps4 is intended to have.
  • Blotto 23 Feb 2013 12:57:19 2,514 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The difference between games launched at the start of the gen and games being released now really is pretty impressive.

If they can do the same with the next gen there's going to be some great looking games on that thing.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2013 13:27:22
    Yeah look at perfect dark zero then play gears of war 3.
  • monty2k 23 Feb 2013 15:56:24 240 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    The difference between games launched at the start of the gen and games being released now really is pretty impressive.

If they can do the same with the next gen there's going to be some great looking games on that thing.
    I was wondering about this. The PS3 was difficult to programme for and took years to achieve its potential, but the PS4 is apparently the exact opposite. Does this mean they'll be able to get the most out of the system right away? Will we see the same amount of improvement as we have this generation? Also will it mean that PCs will be the lead platform for multi-platform development for the next-gen?

Edited for my appalling grammar and the fact that I'm watching the rugby and not giving this my full attention

Edited by monty2k at 16:01:53 23-02-2013
  • Aretak 23 Feb 2013 16:21:14 10,329 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monty2k wrote:
    The PS3 was difficult to programme for and took years to achieve its potential, but the PS4 is apparently the exact opposite. Does this mean they'll be able to get the most out of the system right away?
    No. The 360 is easy to develop for, yet developers have still managed to squeeze more and more out of it over the years. It'll be the same next gen.
  • Moz 23 Feb 2013 16:28:23 493 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Disclaimer : The following is pure speculation / wish full thinking. (But sometimes it's fun dream)

Sony revealing that the PS4 is going to have 8gb of GDDR5 ram has caused concern about the leaked Durango specifications, but this has got me thinking what if the leaked Durango specs are only half of the picture and I mean that quite literally. Some of the rumours doing the rounds during last year were that MS were considering a duel GPU set-up what if they've instead decided to double up all the hardware?

A snap reaction would say that that was a ridiculous idea and would be way too expensive but if you stop and think it through the silicon cost could potentially be similar to the cost of the PS4 setup;

The Memory : DDR3 is significantly cheaper then GDDR5, so 16Gb of DDR3 isn't going to break the bank when bought in bulk

The GPU : Both consoles are said to be using a similar AMD GPU the main difference being that PS4's chip has 18 CUs vs the Durango's 12 CUs however the 12 CU should have a higher fabrication yield (It wouldn't surprise me if the chip was actually an 18 CU chip with 6 turned off designing a chip to detect faulty CUs and include those in the 6 it turns of wouldn't be difficult)

Th CPU : Rumours suggest that Durango uses 2 of the 8 cores for the OS on the second CPU it could simply have 2 of the core deactivated. Again improving fabrication yield.

While I'm no expert all of the above could enable MS to produce the system for a similar cost to what Sony are paying for PS4 or at least close enough that retail prices only differ by 50 at launch.

Further thought on how this would work;

The Data Move module : There has been a lot of speculation about what this actually does. What if this manages passing data between the 2 halves of the system? This could reduce some of the inefficiencies of a 2 CPU system. The GPU in this scenario would be linked using CrossFire.

In a recent interview with EPIC (who we know work closely with MS) they were talking about about 2.5TFlops being an import mile stone for graphics and on paper doubling up the Durangos leaked GPU specs gets you to 2.46TFlops (Coincidence ? ) ((Typically I can't find the article to back that up as there are several article on EG with EPIC talking next gen and I can't find the right one :( ))

Of course CrossFire on PC only yields about 80% of the GPU's potential, but when put into a fixed environment developers should be able to greatly improve on that. Even at 80% your getting more flops then the PS4 so multiplatform development should be nice and easy with parity between the 2 systems achievable using the stock CrossFire driver.

As I say this is pure speculation and probably so far from the truth to be laughable but though I'd share.
  • monty2k 23 Feb 2013 17:05:46 240 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Aretak

I hope so. I've got some great mileage out of my 360 and PS3 and I hope I can get the same out of the next-gen.

Having said that, I'm seriously considering PC for the next few years. Not only can I justify buying a new PC to my wife but PC games are cheaper on average and the online is predominantly free. There's always the cost of upgrading but considering I had to buy a new 360 (after it RRoD'd) and a new PS3 (after it YLoD'd) I've probably already paid the price of an upgrade or two this gen!
  • DodgyPast 23 Feb 2013 18:13:57 8,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cost of that RAM should depreciate pretty rapidly it might be an expensive investment for Sony now but within a couple of years it'll be pretty cheap. 6 months of delivering solidly better performance over MS's console will probably claw back enough of MS's superior software sales to make it worth it.

Sony might have done a surprisingly good job of selling their hardware at the end of the day but there's no doubt that a significant factor in their relatively poor software sales was being the weakest performer. Even managing to equal MS's software sales could give the markets enough faith in Sony to help keep them being perceived as a viable company.

Can't help admiring the fact that they did a great job of turning their exclusives into something that allowed them to survive this generation with such poorly designed hardware.

Edited by DodgyPast at 18:16:47 23-02-2013
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2013 18:21:50 10,179 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only just watched the gameplay montage for the PS4. Drive Club looks pretty damn good. In fact they all do. The Witness looks very interesting indeed. Something a bit different. Knack, I'm not sure about. No gameplay in the trailer really.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dirtbox 23 Feb 2013 18:25:32 76,341 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only gameplay you saw of knack was on the Vita and it looked pretty awful.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Psychotext 23 Feb 2013 18:34:42 52,797 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They had it going on in the background during one of their social sections too... and it looked crap there too.
  • SlimSpudly87 23 Feb 2013 18:40:36 72 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I bit the bullet and preordered a PS4 from Game today. I'm literally so excited about this! If I start putting money aside from the end of this month I should be good to go.
  • Psychotext 23 Feb 2013 18:42:57 52,797 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ugh, don't use Game, use ShopTo or something.

Why would anyone give Game of all people a 20 deposit.
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Feb 2013 18:42:59 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Preordered mine with shopto!
  • jonsaan 23 Feb 2013 18:45:41 25,253 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks lovely Bob...loving the brioche burger and special sauce...

Oh wait..what thread is this?

FCUTA!

• SlimSpudly87 23 Feb 2013 18:48:02 72 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Psychotext because I'd actually like to see them stay on the high street. I don't get the same satisfaction ordering online compared to going into a physical shop
  • Dirtbox 23 Feb 2013 18:51:23 76,341 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll be lucky if they don't go bust with your cash long before then.

• PhoenixFlames 23 Feb 2013 19:41:19 8,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    You'll be lucky if they don't go bust with your cash long before then.
    I thought the same thing. Also, why lay out 20 when you don't have to.

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• mal 23 Feb 2013 20:04:02 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moz wrote:
    Disclaimer : The following is pure speculation / wish full thinking. (But sometimes it's fun dream)

Sony revealing that the PS4 is going to have 8gb of GDDR5 ram has caused concern about the leaked Durango specifications, but this has got me thinking what if the leaked Durango specs are only half of the picture and I mean that quite literally. Some of the rumours doing the rounds during last year were that MS were considering a duel GPU set-up what if they've instead decided to double up all the hardware?
    Two words; Sega Saturn.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 23 Feb 2013 21:31:02 76,341 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some really brain dead bollocks doing the rounds, that SLI gpu thing being near the top of the list for half a dozen reasons.

• sanctusmortis 23 Feb 2013 22:00:18 9,590 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is how AMD's APUs work, though. Nothing's out of possibility, though it's certainly doubtful they'd do that (power draw for a start). Like I've said before, the only specification we have is from the August 2012 dev kits. They'll likely have gone through a few iterations since then.

I think MS is waiting until April as that's when they'll have a hardware sample to show. They're literally waiting til they can show a finished machine, right there, and play games off of it. That could backfire, natch, if it crashes like a lot of similar MS reveals have, but it's one way they can guarantee the spotlight.
  • DSR3 23 Feb 2013 22:36:18 265 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Will be bullshit if PS4 doesn't launch in Europe until 2014. Even Nintendo managed to get the Wii U out here two weeks after the US.
  • sanctusmortis 23 Feb 2013 22:38:47 9,590 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony excel at bullshit, though. They're amazing at such things, because they know they can have Japan as a good sales base, and getting America back from MS is their goal. We're relatively safe to them.
  • DSR3 23 Feb 2013 23:18:36 265 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They have my money no matter what but if it launches after the New Xbox, the PS4 may fall behind again in the UK.
  • mal 24 Feb 2013 00:23:47 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Always? This gen, sure. Last gen I didn't notice a jump to casual gamers half way through, unless you're counting Live as that. So, 50% of the time so far, not always.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RobTheBuilder 24 Feb 2013 00:51:45 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mal Well put sir.

Although, if doubling up provides 80% boost at 50% cost it might still be worth doing, especially as crossfire/dual utilisation is much easier than it was on the old SH2's.

Had Saturn had that setup and been cheaper than PS at launch, maybe it might have done better. It was largely the inefficiencies of 3D that really killed it spec wise.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 00:52:47 24-02-2013
  • Page

of 398 First / Last