Next generation of consoles come in Page 95

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Chopsen 22 Feb 2013 15:33:00 16,000 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sony's conference tl;dr: here's some feature that may or may not exist on a console we're not going to show you.

Edited by Chopsen at 15:33:24 22-02-2013
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 15:33:57 59,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also: heres killzone, a game nobody gives a shit about.

PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO NEW CONSOLE

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• morriss 22 Feb 2013 15:34:14 70,990 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I wonder if all this networking stuff will be free? Or the Gakai stuff.

If it works seamlessly and it's free that a) a massive cost for them and b) great for the consumer.
    I saw something pop up today from Edge where Sony say the cloud stuff they showcased was aspirational and may not all be in place for launch.
    ZING!
  • Deleted user 22 February 2013 15:35:24
    Best part was the Grampa Simpson Jap guy SEE YOU AT E3
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 15:37:05 59,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO E3. WEAR AN ONION ON YOUR BELT AS IS STYLE AT TIME

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• jellyhead 22 Feb 2013 15:41:00 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Widge Yeah, i saw an article/Press Release that had "... at some point in the future." or similar behind each of the Sony bullet points.

Still a while to go yet but i doubt we'll see many of the features in anything more than barebones functionality for a little while after launch.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• RobTheBuilder 22 Feb 2013 15:42:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sony's event will be sure to reveal a lot of what we really wanted to see the other day to try and stifle Microsoft.

I don't know how much a 12 month exclusive for GTAV would cost, but I tell you MS, it's worth it.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Feb 2013 15:46:41 38,248 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if they'll actually remove features after launch again. Or what hardware wise will simply never surface. Like the way the PS3 was meant to have 2 HDMI ports, and a couple more USB ports...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Feb 2013 15:50:38 35,557 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I wonder if all this networking stuff will be free? Or the Gakai stuff.

If it works seamlessly and it's free that a) a massive cost for them and b) great for the consumer.
    I saw something pop up today from Edge where Sony say the cloud stuff they showcased was aspirational and may not all be in place for launch.
    They said as much in the conference - that it would be rolled out in stages, etc.
  • Baleoce 22 Feb 2013 15:55:29 1,185 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Now that we know it's a "PS4" (like we couldn't have guessed), can we just make a PS4 forum community base now? There will be so many different articles/headlines to discuss leading up to the launch, and it doesn't really make sense to have it all just scattered in 'General Gaming' until then.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• RobTheBuilder 22 Feb 2013 15:58:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Baleoce Agreed
  • mikew1985 22 Feb 2013 16:08:06 12,752 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh 3DS, Vita and WiiU all did ok.
  • oceanmotion 22 Feb 2013 16:13:39 15,951 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Microsoft will stick to their tried and tested method of E3 over recent years, show everyone what they are getting in the next 6 months and that will pretty much win it for them.

They could tease further out stuff but I think it's ultimately pointless. Show the media and consumers what they will have in their homes on launch day.

Edited by oceanmotion at 16:14:16 22-02-2013
  • RedSparrows 22 Feb 2013 16:23:53 22,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it tends to work.

If you look back at where 360 started, and where it's ending, features wise - it's massively expanded. I am sure the PS3 is similar, I'm just not as familiar.
  • Dirtbox 22 Feb 2013 16:25:59 78,209 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I wonder if they'll actually remove features after launch again. Or what hardware wise will simply never surface. Like the way the PS3 was meant to have 2 HDMI ports, and a couple more USB ports...
    That's probably why they didn't show the box.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DodgyPast 22 Feb 2013 16:27:04 8,469 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PC + PS3 served me very well this generation, probably do the same as I did with the next generation... I'll continue to get my multiplatform fix from my PC and a couple of years after the consoles have been released I'll be able to hoover up a nice collection of classics for cheap as well as not paying a premium for the console itself.

I will admit that it's been nice to know that my current PC holds up more than favourably with a console that's going to be released in 6 months... That's a first.

Edited by DodgyPast at 16:29:21 22-02-2013
  • andijames 22 Feb 2013 16:49:59 2,731 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Baleoce wrote:
    Now that we know it's a "PS4" (like we couldn't have guessed), can we just make a PS4 forum community base now? There will be so many different articles/headlines to discuss leading up to the launch, and it doesn't really make sense to have it all just scattered in 'General Gaming' until then.
    +1

Although I'm not sure if they will yet it always seems as hard as summoning the kraken setting up a new forum category around here.

vivir el momento

• King_Edward 22 Feb 2013 17:08:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I think Microsoft will stick to their tried and tested method of E3 over recent years, show everyone what they are getting in the next 6 months and that will pretty much win it for them.

They could tease further out stuff but I think it's ultimately pointless. Show the media and consumers what they will have in their homes on launch day.
    And get Sam L.J. to make the announcement.
  • SomaticSense 22 Feb 2013 19:55:35 8,337 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @shamblemonkee You wouldn't expect the movie industry to completely shun old films just because more people would rather see Transformers 5 in 4k 3D, so why should games be any different?

Until publishers find a way of re-releasing old games without spending a fortune developing a HD remake to be compatible on whatever is the then current gen console, then BC is the only reliable option.

Besides which, it would be churlish to suggest that just because your Mega Drive had such a short lifespan then that makes it a rule. Surely everyone agrees that there's far more to go wrong on a current gen console than older, simpler machines. I've had more 360s and PS2s due to failures than probably every other home console I've owned combined.
  • PhoenixFlames 22 Feb 2013 20:17:20 9,010 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dumb question but I'll ask it anyway.

Is it possible to build a relatively inexpensive (under 500) PC right now, that would play all the latest releases for the next 6 years?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• sanctusmortis 22 Feb 2013 21:43:39 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    According to the Independent, Wednesday showed "Sony PS4 is aimed squarely at the serious gamer". Not being funny, but what with Knack, all the social stuff, Media Molecule's showcase and the Share button stuff, I'd say they pitched it squarely at everyone.
  • sanctusmortis 22 Feb 2013 21:48:40 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Dumb question but I'll ask it anyway.

Is it possible to build a relatively inexpensive (under 500) PC right now, that would play all the latest releases for the next 6 years?
    Depends. For the actual PC, yes. With monitor and peripherals, doubtful. Not including Windows or monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc, for sure.
  • Blotto 22 Feb 2013 21:52:51 2,776 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Adding to possibly dumb questions about PC's, what's stopping me from connecting it to my TV and using it like a console?

Would a PC even connect to a TV?

/knows literally nothing
  • FogHeart 22 Feb 2013 21:54:43 946 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think a lot of journos outside of the gaming press are most interested in comparing the games you get on the next consoles with the games you get on tablets and mobiles, as it's such a growth market. When they refer to gamers who play more than 'snack' games they call them serious gamers. I'm reading criticisms saying that Sony provided no answer to that growth market.

It's ignorant, lazy journalism. It's like some restaurant reviewer doing a write-up about a top restaurant and saying that they provided no answer to the sandwich shops all popping up down the street.
  • PhoenixFlames 22 Feb 2013 21:56:31 9,010 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Adding to possibly dumb questions about PC's, what's stopping me from connecting it to my TV and using it like a console?

/knows literally nothing
    Don't see why not. It would just need a HDMI connection, which must be pretty standard on new PCs.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• King_Edward 22 Feb 2013 21:57:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blotto wrote:

/knows literally nothing
    Not much. Gamepad support is a bit of an issue, but with Steam Big Picture it'll get better.
  • crashVoodoo 22 Feb 2013 21:58:59 3,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blotto wrote:

/knows literally nothing
    Mowgli posted this literally 2 pages back

mowgli wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh455l3348s

Hmmm, starting to come round to the idea.

Oh, BF3 was set to low. Gay.
    That lot was 300 notes. Pretty sure if you up your budget a touch then it'll be pretty respectable.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 22:00:05 22-02-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Blotto 22 Feb 2013 22:10:55 2,776 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, assuming that at launch the next gen consoles will probably cost around 450 for the unit/extra controller/possible subscription, how powerful is that PC roughly going to be? Same level as the next gen consoles?

I like the idea of being able to just keep slowly upgrading rather than splashing big money at the start of each gen.
  • crashVoodoo 22 Feb 2013 22:11:35 3,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I sat up and watched this thing that Sony did and came away a little... Meh!

Admittedly I know it was only a tech reveal but I don't feel like anything shown couldn't be done on the current consoles with a slightly lower res and less shiney.

I was expecting more physics, fluid dynamics and geometry destruction of the landscape.

Don't know if I was just expecting to much to soon...

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• X201 22 Feb 2013 22:46:39 15,484 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    Baleoce wrote:
    +1

Although I'm not sure if they will yet it always seems as hard as summoning the kraken setting up a new forum category around here.
    It can be easy, you just need to catch Ven when he's taken a "Fearless in the face of the forum controls" pill. :)

It's how the Vita forum got started.

Edited by X201 at 22:47:59 22-02-2013
  • Page

of 402 First / Last