Next generation of consoles come in Page 9

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• captbirdseye 8 Jan 2013 18:41:36 4,997 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't remember the last time AMD made a decent processor must be at least 10 years.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 18:43:13
    did you see that ludicrous display last night
  • mrpon 8 Jan 2013 18:47:17 28,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm getting a 50" soon.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Jeepers 8 Jan 2013 18:48:15 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ibetmrsponcan'twaitamirite?
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jan 2013 18:50:11 13,614 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    MMMarmite wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    The Steambox is going to assfuck all the next gen consoles.

A library of thousands of games at cut prices on day one vs. Assassins Creed 4 or some shite as a launch title?

Bye bye €50 games.
    You mean the library of games that people could already play on a Windows PC if they really wanted to? I don't see how a box of Steam is going to stop people buying consoles, most buy consoles for the simplicity of buying a game and playing it immediately.
    They reckon the Steambox will cost about €300-350 because it's an off-the-shelf i7 with 8gb of RAM, a 500gb HDD and a decent GPU. New consoles will cost more.

Big picture mode + cheap games + no sub for online services = traditional consoles in serious shit if they can't produce something amazing.
    I love my BPM console, but too many instances where you need a mouse/keys, or need to tinker in an OS environment could hamper mass market adoption. This is where the critical mass is. Enthusiasts will build their own rather than get this.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 20:12:26 6,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The AMD HD 8000 series cards are just rebadged older cards according to this article.

At the same event AMD announced the availability of AMD HD 8000 series graphics cards for OEMs. These cards feature GCN architecture, support for Direct X 11.1 (for optimal acceleration in Windows 8), AMD app accelerations and intelligent power management with AMD ZeroCore Power technology. Radeon HD 8000 series graphics will be available in desktops from several major OEMs as soon as “late January”. However, these OEM graphics cards are mainly Radeon HD 7000 series cards rebadged to HD 8000 OEM cards to make them sound new and better. Even the lowly HD 5450 has been transmogrified into an HD 8350 OEM for the purposes of marketing.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 20:17:48 6,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't really see this being that expensive for Microsoft to make unless they pull a Sony and use exotic parts for their Ram and CPU. It'll probably have Jaguar CPU cores + DDR3 Ram which will cost very little and HDD's and Blu Ray players are cheap enough now.

Depends how crazy they go with the GPU and if Kinect 2.0 is packaged in.

• Psychotext 8 Jan 2013 20:23:26 54,238 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    The AMD HD 8000 series cards are just rebadged older cards according to this article.
    It's not going to be a standard GPU anyway. Like Xenos it'll be heavily customised to their needs.
  • oceanmotion 8 Jan 2013 20:24:44 15,958 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Happens all the time with OEM cards apparently. Does not relate to new stuff branded the same. Bit daft but there you go.

• ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 20:34:07 6,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    It's not going to be a standard GPU anyway. Like Xenos it'll be heavily customised to their needs.
    Yeah, I know, just thought I'd share anyway

The leak really tells us very little, other than it's not using an SSD. The RAM, CPU and GPU could still be anything performance wise.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:35:25 08-01-2013

• ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 20:37:07 6,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Happens all the time with OEM cards apparently. Does not relate to new stuff branded the same. Bit daft but there you go.
    Ah right, I have no idea then. :p

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:37:21 08-01-2013

• oceanmotion 8 Jan 2013 20:54:42 15,958 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Me neither, fair point but people that follow these things know these little details. Think I'll pay more attention if I ever buy a ready built PC again now, the shifty fucks.

I wonder if Crytek will start moaning 8GB isn't enough.
  • superdelphinus 8 Jan 2013 21:00:51 8,074 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Is not the real thing then? Last thing I read about them (via tom's hardware) were that they were significantly faster than the 7th gen and also cheaper too
  • Psychotext 8 Jan 2013 21:36:06 54,238 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who knows, here's how it worked out with the Xenos:

Developed under the codename "C1," it is in many ways related to the R520 architecture and therefore very similar to an ATI Radeon X1800 series of PC graphics cards as far as features and performance are concerned. However, the Xenos introduced new design ideas that were later adopted in the R600 series, such as the unified shader architecture. The package contains two separate silicon dies, the GPU and an eDRAM, featuring a total of 337 million transistors.
    Depends how many clever tricks Microsoft plans on introducing this time around. Xenos was quite advanced for its time so this could be too.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jan 2013 22:31:26 18,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Is not the real thing then? Last thing I read about them (via tom's hardware) were that they were significantly faster than the 7th gen and also cheaper too
    That Hexus article relates to the mobile range. Is it a mobile chip going in the new xbox?
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Jan 2013 22:38:32 6,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That particular quote relates to their desktop range

Here's another source for the rebadging that goes in to more detail.

The only new 8xxx series cards are the 8670 and 8570, maybe the next Xbox GPU is related to one of them. Or maybe the rebadged cards will be phased out in a few months time with newer parts and the GPU is related to one of them, who knows.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 22:39:54 08-01-2013

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Jan 2013 13:55:54 3,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I must have missed this, but apparently Sony have already dropped a hint that the Playstation 4 will be revealed soon.

Cant see this hint anywhere myself, but there we go.......

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 13:58:31 54,238 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I doubt they'll announce it there, but it would be awesome if they did. :)
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2013 02:03:56 54,238 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PS4 rumours now...

- AMD x86 3.2GHz APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores (2 core pairs), [Higher Clock than X720/Durango]
    - Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution [Customised Solution Possibly utilising GPU + APU combo]
    - 2-4GB GDDR5
    - Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Looking very similar to the next Xbox. Higher Ghz CPU will fewer cores, faster ram, but less of it.

Interesting.
  • superdelphinus 12 Jan 2013 10:06:00 8,074 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So like a mid-high range current pc-ish, with half the memory?
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2013 11:05:09 54,238 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but very, very fast memory.
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2013 11:10:46 5,603 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WRONG. Vizzini has, on multiple occasions, guaranteed it will use a variant of Cell.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 12 Jan 2013 11:12:16 6,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wonder how the developers will react to the new consoles. Will Activision try to port their annual COD iteration for launch?
  • Bremenacht 12 Jan 2013 11:56:21 18,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    WRONG. Vizzini has, on multiple occasions, guaranteed it will use a variant of Cell.
    Well, it might do, for BC. However, I believe the plan is to crush them all and use them for road surfacing.
  • NotSoSlim 12 Jan 2013 14:24:25 3,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Next gen Playstation will use cloud for BC its a given and will keep costs down.

E3 may be interesting for the first time in years as Sony's big first party developers have done nowt for year. ND have two teams one on Last of Us and the other probably next gen stuff.

Roll on E3. Sony must get it out before Xmas or MS have a free run to gain a massive amount of momentum. Even if they come out a month later just before Xmas imo
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 17:51:06
    richardiox: WRONG. Vizzini has, on multiple occasions, guaranteed it will use a variant of Cell.

I didn't quite put it exactly that way, but I do believe it would take a pretty spectacular piece of backward thinking by Kaz to build a PC like PS4, while abandoning the Cell BE's EiB and Synergistic Cores R&D.

As it turns out, the only reason IBM stopped using Cell BE, was because Sony's priority was lowering power consumption, rather than volume producing increased performance chips(which was IBM's priority). By the time they were using 45nm in the Cell BE, the OpenCL Gpu hardware had reached a specification 1.2 (with fermi/kepler) and so it was more performance (and cost effective) to sell Tesla based blades to IBM customers.

As the IBM Cell BE supercomputers (like roadrunner) are getting old enough for refits, I expect a new revision of the Cell BE chips(eg version 3), to coincide with IBM/Sony volume producing chips for Playstation 4. Then expect to see IBM repeat their success in the TOP500 and GREEN500 for two years.

edit: for typos, not to jazz it up ;)

Edited by vizzini at 18:16:51 12-01-2013
  • Lukus 12 Jan 2013 17:56:30 19,116 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck that was boring.

Paintings & Photographs

• Bremenacht 12 Jan 2013 19:41:09 18,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    richardiox: WRONG. Vizzini has, on multiple occasions, guaranteed it will use a variant of Cell.

I didn't quite put it exactly that way, but I do believe it would take a pretty spectacular piece of backward thinking by Kaz to build a PC like PS4, while abandoning the Cell BE's EiB and Synergistic Cores R&D.

As it turns out, the only reason IBM stopped using Cell BE, was because Sony's priority was lowering power consumption, rather than volume producing increased performance chips(which was IBM's priority). By the time they were using 45nm in the Cell BE, the OpenCL Gpu hardware had reached a specification 1.2 (with fermi/kepler) and so it was more performance (and cost effective) to sell Tesla based blades to IBM customers.

As the IBM Cell BE supercomputers (like roadrunner) are getting old enough for refits, I expect a new revision of the Cell BE chips(eg version 3), to coincide with IBM/Sony volume producing chips for Playstation 4. Then expect to see IBM repeat their success in the TOP500 and GREEN500 for two years.

edit: for typos, not to jazz it up ;)
    Quoted, so that anyone can throw this back at vizzini, when any one (or all) of these are confirmed as not happening.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Jan 2013 19:45:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The key problem with Cell is that it's a pain in the arse to program, hence almost every dual format game running better on 360 for the first few years.

Given how architecture is moving towards GPU's it appears to make little sense, especially given the extra costs of a processor that doesn't have the scale of production like AMD/Intel.
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 20:06:56
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    The key problem with Cell is that it's a pain in the arse to program, hence almost every dual format game running better on 360 for the first few years.

Given how architecture is moving towards GPU's it appears to make little sense, especially given the extra costs of a processor that doesn't have the scale of production like AMD/Intel.
    That hasn't been true since IBM released the Cell BE OpenCL 1.0 SDK. The big problem for the PS3 is that most multi platform engines rarely use multi-core for anything important, and so games are fill-rate/shader op limited. This is the only weakness the RSX has compared to the Xenos as result of the eDram bandwidth.

The flexibility of a general purpose CPU core (SPU), that has almost GPU efficiency is a major win for many game development problems, especially ray-tracing. The hybrid system is still better than a OpenGL 4.x capable GPU for flexible problem solving.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last