Next generation of consoles come in Page 65

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Kid_Icarus 16 Feb 2013 01:07:19 556 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    New rumour:

Those 2 big black rectangles on the devkit are the stereoscopic cameras replacing Eye, and may be built into the system...
    Shirley that has to be bullshit? I mean the cameras would have to be positioned correctly so they'll work, like how Kinect or the Wii's sensor bar sit above your TV. Imagine how much of a pain it would be to find the sweet spot for your PS4 if the cameras are built into it.

It might be a bit pricey to include a peripheral version with the console too. Optional launch day peripheral? That sounds about right.

That said, I do hope they both stick a Kinect/Eye Toy thing in with the consoles. I'm intrigued, just not enough to pay money specifically for them.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:08:02
    meme wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    meme wrote:
    So you have a spack-monocle then.
    @meme

Read again. Normal good human vision (20-20) can't do the whole chart with either eye. I can do all the chart perfect with both eyes, except the last line with my left eye, in which I can't resolve one or two letters.
    So you have a spack-monocle then.
    @meme

Then all humans would need a spack-monocle, as no-one has eyes of equal strength. The stronger eye compensates and the brain interpolates. No need for monocles, meme-spack or otherwise.
  • Dirtbox 16 Feb 2013 01:09:05 77,454 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brilliant.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:09:40
    Only spacks need spack-monocles.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:12:49
    meme wrote:
    Only spacks need spack-monocles.
    So you have a 1/2million spack-monocle ebay collection going soon?
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:14:27
    Yes, I'm selling them because I am not a spack, and thus have no need for them.

I will sell them to you.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:23:58
    I'm pretty sure anyone collecting spack-monocles in those numbers is guaranteed to be a pretty big spack-monocle wearer. Admitting as much, like you did, will be the spack-monacle equivalent of I think, therefore I am
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:28:25
    I didn't collect them. I inherited them.

From your mum.
  • BartonFink 16 Feb 2013 01:33:00 34,853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @meme

Who said anything about better games?

I'm just observing the size of the unit, compared to older launch devkits I saw at the time, and extrapolating two possible reasons for the size. Either an old unit, or housing considerably more hardware.

@sanctusmortis

The durango kit was rumoured to be a system within a system (like the fixstar cell BE pcie compute boards). 360 launch devkits didn't look like that iirc.

The PS3 devkit again is about the same size as PS2 devkit, and about the same size as the Orbis devkit picture. All devkits from Sony, all presumably keeping to x10 performance based on moore's law. 10X ps3 performance = ~4-5Teraflops.
    What in the name of shatting shit are you wibbling on about? Makes about as much sense as a gnat driving a moon.
  • Progguitarist 16 Feb 2013 01:43:48 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another new rumour, this time from the Wall Street Journal.
  • Dirtbox 16 Feb 2013 01:45:39 77,454 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As rumours go, that's a pretty good one. They bought the tech some time ago and it's about the only way they can offer BC.

• Dirtbox 16 Feb 2013 01:47:09 77,454 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, it also means they can offer PS3 games on any platform. I wonder if they'll make good on a lucrative and obvious expansion like that. Doubt it somehow.

• Progguitarist 16 Feb 2013 01:50:35 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Coming from the Wall Street Journal, it has to be pretty legit too, eh?
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 01:52:25
    It's unlikely they'd bother with anything other than streaming to the PS4. The additional wrangling of rights they'd need from third-party publishers will probably be too much effort.

That said, if they don't offer it, you can expect some wag to hack it into the PC. All you'd need (in theory) is a Gaikai client that identifies itself as a PS4.

Edited by meme at 01:52:52 16-02-2013
  • Sid-Nice 16 Feb 2013 02:00:30 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Coming from the Wall Street Journal, it has to be pretty legit too, eh?
    It is certainly a legitimate rumour.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Psychotext 16 Feb 2013 08:07:18 53,775 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having used streaming gaming tech in the past I'd say that from my point of view they might as well not have BC as do it this way. Fine for gamers who don't see visual glitches or notice lag, but it's really not for me.

I'd much, much rather pay extra for (optional) tech to enable BC if it really came down to it.
  • EMarkM 16 Feb 2013 08:14:22 3,173 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    What in the name of shatting shit are you wibbling on about? Makes about as much sense as a gnat driving a moon.
    Quoted for posterity.
  • thenastypasty 16 Feb 2013 08:16:37 5,180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext

It really would be much use to me either with having a terrible connection and all. I do appreciate that this has nothing to do with Sony.

Edited by thenastypasty at 08:17:05 16-02-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Feb 2013 08:32:58 10,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    @vizzini devkits are always massive. The look at the weird thing on the 360 one!

Also, DS devkit. Massive.
    Exactly.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 16 Feb 2013 08:36:18 10,240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Another new rumour, this time from the Wall Street Journal.
    That's been pretty obvious for some time.
    I personally couldn't give a shit about BC...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• EMarkM 16 Feb 2013 10:41:25 3,173 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I personally couldn't give a shit about BC...
    Here also. Despite having a real passion for the old systems (such as Sinclair, Amiga, etc.), when I buy my shiny new console I want to play the shiny new games and have NEVER played a previous system's disk in a new machine.

Just can't see the attraction for some reason.
  • sanctusmortis 16 Feb 2013 10:48:55 9,627 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kid_Icarus wrote:

Shirley that has to be bullshit? I mean the cameras would have to be positioned correctly so they'll work, like how Kinect or the Wii's sensor bar sit above your TV. Imagine how much of a pain it would be to find the sweet spot for your PS4 if the cameras are built into it.

It might be a bit pricey to include a peripheral version with the console too. Optional launch day peripheral? That sounds about right.

That said, I do hope they both stick a Kinect/Eye Toy thing in with the consoles. I'm intrigued, just not enough to pay money specifically for them.
    From another perspective, though: why have a Move sensor on each pad if it's not included in the machine? Might not be actually built into the machine, no, but in the box very likely. They'd build it into the dev kit because all they're testing is how well it picks up the sensor etc, and when the actual hardware devkit comes out (which is typically the machine with a special HDD; all those images are of pre-release dev kits) they can work with it properly.

Back compatibility I'd say matters more to Microsoft, who'll likely carry the Gamerscore over. Trophies aren't tied that much to numbers, and are really about showing progress in a game, but when MS gave a number to each achievement they made their bed. Plus, being able to carry over XBLA purchases would be nice, and I imagine not a massive issue.

Edited by sanctusmortis at 10:51:38 16-02-2013
  • PenguinJim 16 Feb 2013 10:57:00 5,754 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Back compatibility I'd say matters more to Microsoft, who'll likely carry the Gamerscore over. Trophies aren't tied that much to numbers, and are really about showing progress in a game, but when MS gave a number to each achievement they made their bed.
    I imagine games on the new Xbox will have a total cheevo score of 10,000 each, for obvious reasons.
  • Syrette 16 Feb 2013 12:54:24 43,058 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying to find a single reason why I'd want the next Xbox. I can't*.

I'm a PS4 fanboy before the thing has even been announced.

*unless Shenmue 3 is an Xbox-exclusive.

• RobTheBuilder 16 Feb 2013 13:03:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier. But did anybody notice how much Playstation branding there was in this week's Champions League games? Not PS3 or Vita, but solely Playstation.

It looked rather like they were preparing for launch promo.
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Feb 2013 13:05:32 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Syrette Yeah those unannounced games on PS4 sure as hell beat those unannounced games on the next Xbox...

*sigh*
  • Syrette 16 Feb 2013 13:09:24 43,058 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Syrette Yeah those unannounced games on PS4 sure as hell beat those unannounced games on the next Xbox...

*sigh*
    Requiring an always on connection, cross-media focus no used games, Kinect focus, MS' woeful first party output...

PS4 might have no used games too but the rest are likely just an MS 'problem'.

Edited by Syrette at 13:09:46 16-02-2013

• Deleted user 16 February 2013 13:12:52
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier. But did anybody notice how much Playstation branding there was in this week's Champions League games? Not PS3 or Vita, but solely Playstation.

It looked rather like they were preparing for launch promo.
    it be a bit flippin mental mun (sorry playing ni no kuni :) ) if they did and apple on us.. and launched it like next month.
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Feb 2013 13:16:32 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I've not seen anything about always on connections in the articles I've read. Cross media depends on how they make it work, PS3 went for the same thing and people still liked that.

No used games systems are on both, we need to see if they are implemented. I won't buy any console which has them turned on. If they suddenly activate it later on I think we'd have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Kinect focus depends on the price and quality of updated system. If it's the same price as PS4 but with added Kinect then that's ok, but I don't want to pay more for it.

MS output so far I've found to be mixed but with some very good titles in there. There are no Sony first party titles on PS3 that have ever made me want the machine. Let's see what's announced and who is working on them before we make that decision!
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Feb 2013 13:17:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @joelstinton Would be crazy!

I can't see it launching so soon, but maybe they'll bring together the current machine promo under Playstation brand, and then phase into new console promo later on in the year.

It does fuel the idea that it will just be called Playstation.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last