Next generation of consoles come in Page 45

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Inertia 6 Feb 2013 14:08:19 677 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They either both do it (Sony and MS) or they don't do it at all. Microsoft would need huge balls to do this as it has no advantage to the consumer. But it gives a great selling point to Sony.

And as mentioned it could be in direct violation of European laws too.
  • Spunkweazle 6 Feb 2013 14:31:20 470 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    just wondering why the devs dont currently extend there online passes to cover the whole game, it would acheive the same thing.
    Is it just a legal problem, or do none of the big publishers want to be the first to take that step?

Edited by Spunkweazle at 14:32:24 06-02-2013

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 14:36:39 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People who think games being locked to you account means that you'll buy less games or not take risks obviously don't use Steam.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 14:37:44 59,937 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The difference is that the games on steam arent 40 quid a shot.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 14:38:17
    Being locked to a machine is bigger issue but I still don't think people care that much no matter how vocal they are.

Edited by Aargh. at 14:38:30 06-02-2013
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 14:40:22 59,937 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, its a question of value. There is literally no way people are going to take a punt on a 7 hour game with middling reviews at £40.

If you just buy AAA, fine but you would kiss goodbye to the likes of vanquish and other slow burners.

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 14:41:27
    Plenty of new titles cost £40 on steam. Nice discounts later on that you'll never see on consoles mind.
  • kalel 6 Feb 2013 14:42:50 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Plenty of new titles cost £40 on steam. Nice discounts later on that you'll never see on consoles mind.
    To be fair, old games are reasonably well discounted on LIVE, and if secondhand games no longer existed I'd imagine we'd see a lot more like what we have on Steam, with sales and megapacks and so on.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 14:42:59 3,908 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Buy a lot of second hand steam games do you?
    don't buy any on steam but if i did they're about the same price as used console games. its very rare i buy anything day 1 these days, i like to see user reviews first before taking a punt.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:45:29 06-02-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Feb 2013 14:44:42 38,244 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The difference is that the games on steam arent 40 quid a shot.
    This is true. I buy happily buy games on Steam because they're affordable. Games are not as affordable to me at 40-50 quid without trade-ins. I'd end up buying FAR less games. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 14:45:53 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They're not stupid. Games will reduce in price until they hit the sweet spot at which they sell. As they do on Steam.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 14:48:21 59,937 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont know what the reasoning behind it is, retail complaints or whatever, but current online stores do actually seem to bear out the fact that they are indeed stupid.

Certainly, with ballooning development costs in the next generation, I cant see them bringing down prices just because they killed trade ins.

yeah, it will/may happen eventually but they will be fight it like bitches.

• roz123 6 Feb 2013 14:51:10 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Steam are competing against piracy
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 14:52:11
    It would effectively kill Game and the like so I imagine quite a bit of opposition from government.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2013 14:57:19 11,268 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    People who think games being locked to you account means that you'll buy less games or not take risks obviously don't use Steam.
    Tell me about it, I only built my PC a few months ago and my steam library/backlog is already enormous.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• graysonavich 6 Feb 2013 14:58:44 7,353 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I spat out my Cornflakes when I had to sign into Rockstars social media hub to complete a questline in that cowboy horsie game on the XboX-360.

Yeah that'll be the part that I never play the game and trade it in for 50p.
  • Spunkweazle 6 Feb 2013 15:03:25 470 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If the likes of EA and Activision arent already doing this will they be happy with microsoft taking that step on their behalf

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 15:05:56 87,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Steam are competing against piracy
    I don't think cheaper games are an alternative to free games in the eyes of pirates.
  • graysonavich 6 Feb 2013 15:11:24 7,353 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd disagree.

My cycle normally goes download game>play game>delete game if crap/keep game if good

Now it's download game>play game>delete game if crap/wait a week for the game to drop to £20 then buy it
  • Darren 6 Feb 2013 15:15:54 8,836 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    If games were locked to hardware and accounts you'd just end up throwing away games you didn't like I guess since you couldn't even give them away, at best it would be a spare box.

Which is bad in the long run because it would make buyers shy of taking risks on games they're not 100% certain on, which then leads to even more mainstream focused titles and worse stagnation.
    I think Microsoft will see this as a step toward "motivating" people to purchase games digitally instead of on a disc. If the disc has no value once it has been attached to an account and you can download the game anytime you want then that would be plausible. Microsoft have made it clear for some time, even shortly after the Xbox 360's release, that they would love for physical media and for everyone to download games instead.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• jellyhead 6 Feb 2013 15:16:08 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's good to know that MS have worked out that they can do without the percentage of people without internet access or with ropey internet access. It's a moot point in britain where the internet is stunning across the nation and we have no download or usage caps. Phew.

I'd like to see the figures of number of xbox consoles online vs number sold. It must be close to 90% in order for it to be worth it for them surely?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• mal 6 Feb 2013 15:17:40 22,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suspect games you don't have to leave the house for are an alternative to ones you do have to for in the eyes of some pirates. The smelly ones mainly.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• jellyhead 6 Feb 2013 15:19:32 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    eh?

Could you be a bit more vague? ;)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Widge Moderator 6 Feb 2013 15:36:46 13,593 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This one thing about games means that something happens.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• oceanmotion 6 Feb 2013 17:33:54 15,951 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you think there will be much interest in revamped games like HD ones we have now or do games fall into that good enough category being HD or thereabouts.

Could you imagine Activision selling a COD campaign collection. Halo 1-3 HD.

Can't think of many that would need it or worthy of attention. Not like they tried hard with HD collections.

BC capability may result in more than usual.

Might look quite nice all cleaned up in 1080p.
  • gelf 6 Feb 2013 17:56:45 188 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steam isn't really comparable with Live or PSN as your not restricted to just buying from steam. There are loads of online stores you can buy and download PC games from so unlike Live there's actually competition on price.

I can't see a download only console having anywhere near the same discounts.
  • SomaticSense 6 Feb 2013 18:38:06 8,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    If games were locked to hardware and accounts you'd just end up throwing away games you didn't like I guess since you couldn't even give them away, at best it would be a spare box.

Which is bad in the long run because it would make buyers shy of taking risks on games they're not 100% certain on, which then leads to even more mainstream focused titles and worse stagnation.
    Exactly this.

There's a reason there isn't a precedent for this in any other physical retail market.

Can you imagine a banning of pawn shops? A law preventing you from selling your unwanted jewellery? And while it's obviously on a much bigger scale money wise, a banning of the second-hand car industry (which bears many similarities to the way people sell off games to fund future purchases)?

It'd be stupid.
  • SomaticSense 6 Feb 2013 18:43:50 8,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:

There's a difference between specifically online software services needing the user to be online for them to work, and a hardware manufacturer wanting said hardware online even for non-online specific services (SP campaigns in games or local co-op).

The world (consumers) will only truly be ready for 'always online' for our living room devices when we are no longer are at the mercy of our routers, and ISP reliability is as close 100% as feasibly possible. We are a looong way away from that.
    Just pointing out that there are tens of millions of people in the US alone who are perfectly happy with using servcies that require an internet connection at all times.

And then there are Steam users and MMO players....
    But again, these are specifically online services. It's like saying you have to be 'always online' in order to use Mozilla. Well, no shit people are used to that. People are used to online services needing to be hooked up to a working net connection for about 20 years now. It is not remotely the same as telling these same people that their box under the TV is unusable if their router is bust.

A better comparison would be if your dvd player needed to be online in order to play a physical dvd disc. Would the world really be ready for that? How about your TV needing the same requirement?
  • Rodriguez 6 Feb 2013 19:27:24 1,094 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whether or not it's actually true, the news about second hand sales being stopped by next gen consoles is already having an impact -

GameStop shares are trading sharply lower this morning on a report that the next generation of Microsoft Xbox game consoles – which are expected to debut later this year – will prevent player from installing used games. That would be a blow to the game retailer, which does a bristling business in used game software....

....In the company’s October quarter, GameStop reported that sales of used products accounted for 28% of overall sales – and more than 48% of gross profits.

GME this morning is down $1.81, or 6.8%, to $25.

Quotes taken from this Forbes article.
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't some frantic communication going on right with the companies involved to find out if there's any truth to the second hand game lockout, given the money, and potential big losses, at stake for companies like Gamestop.
  • oceanmotion 6 Feb 2013 19:31:46 15,951 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could be a coincidence, they are closing hundreds of stores.

Edited by oceanmotion at 19:38:48 06-02-2013
  • Page

of 402 First / Last