Next generation of consoles come in Page 43

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Deleted user 5 February 2013 15:37:20
    Microsoft are giving up on developing/supporting xna aren't they?
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 15:38:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Gameplay streaming is massive, and is getting bigger by the day.

It's not for everyone obviously, but it's bread and butter for a large percentage of the console market.
    I'm just thinking that with every Tom, Dick and Harry having the ability to make vids on a whim, we're going to be so overloaded with them to the point of it being sickening.

Physically sickening.
  • Cappy 5 Feb 2013 15:44:43 11,901 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The obvious benefits are being ignored, now we don't have to play Bioware's games anymore, all the 'erotic' scenes and possible variations will be on Youtube day one.

I suspect publishers will have some sort of 'opt out' code and a lot of games will block recording in the name of protecting their IP and protecting customers from spoilers.
  • Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 15:51:19 77,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Microsoft are giving up on developing/supporting xna aren't they?
    They're giving up on developing it in favour of dx11, but they won't drop compatibility support for it. The framework can be loaded along with the game anyway.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:54:16 05-02-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• graysonavich 5 Feb 2013 15:54:18 7,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    Gameplay streaming is massive, and is getting bigger by the day.

It's not for everyone obviously, but it's bread and butter for a large percentage of the console market.
    I'm just thinking that with every Tom, Dick and Harry having the ability to make vids on a whim, we're going to be so overloaded with them to the point of it being sickening.

Physically sickening.
    In terms of actual quality, I think youtube has already hit tipping point. Live streaming however is still relatively new and growing. If Massmarketgamesbox1 had the ability to stream & record out the box, I think we're at a stage where it would be a killer app over Massmarketgamesbox2.
  • Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 15:55:44 77,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's at the point where there are more people streaming than people who want to watch.

• oceanmotion 5 Feb 2013 16:03:48 15,820 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As long as there isn't an option to attach shit music to videos.

Is there any advantage in dropping XNA ?

Maybe MS have something else in the works. Their whole ecosystem seems to be spluttering along until the next Xbox gets shown. Makes me think that is a rather big piece with stuff they don't want to show yet.
  • Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 16:06:30 77,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a feeling they're going to be milking the windows 8 style of doing things quite a bit with the 720. As for a replacement for XNA, that's likely too, but there's nothing to suggest what it is yet.

• LeoliansBro 5 Feb 2013 16:07:37 43,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Genuine question - why would I want to watch someone else I don't know play a game (live or otherwise)?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 16:10:18 77,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No clue. Go to ustream or twitch and see how many channels there are with 0 viewers.

• nickthegun 5 Feb 2013 16:12:27 59,487 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Genuine question - why would I want to watch someone else I don't know play a game (live or otherwise)?
    Its the new demo/gamefaqs. Plus there are some quite funny people who do it. Rage Quit's game videos are great.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 16:13:33 77,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's not live streaming though.

Loads of well produced, funny and interesting things on youtube though.

Edited by Dirtbox at 16:14:49 05-02-2013

• oceanmotion 5 Feb 2013 16:13:58 15,820 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Multiplayer betas just to have a nosey.

A game leaking early and fancy a quick look.

Not any interest other than that over the years.
  • graysonavich 5 Feb 2013 16:16:06 7,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Twitch.TV is the popular hub.

Streams have replaced idle telly watching for me. Although the current trend is League of Legends/Starcraft/Warcraft, none of which I've too much interest in.

Edit: Oh the question was why, not where.

Shrug. I've a handful of streamers I follow because I like their personality and ability to regularly stream interesting content.

In an evening I'll switch on a stream if I want a break from whateverweekly on Netflix I'm currently watching.

Edited by graysonavich at 16:19:46 05-02-2013
  • mikeck 6 Feb 2013 12:13:44 1,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The start of the next-gen revolution against people without teh internetz and those who like to dabble with pre-owned:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:15:53 43,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console
    Whoa! Mind. Blown. Did NOT see this coming.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• glaeken 6 Feb 2013 12:17:22 11,143 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't really care about pre-owned as the only time I have actually bought a pre-owned game was when it was not in stock otherwise.

As for always on-line not a big issue with that apart from what happens if my internet connection goes down? It does happen and I would not want to be locked out of my console due to an ISP fault.
  • jellyhead 6 Feb 2013 12:18:08 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool! Unless Sony go the same route then my decision is clear. Hello Sony, See ya MS! Toodles.

The more hoops to go wrong a system puts between me and my games then the less i want a system. It's that simple. Being able to play a game when i want regardless of my internet connection is worth more to me than bolted on social media and multiplayer.

Over to you, Sony. Let's see what you have to say about it.

Edited by jellyhead at 12:20:12 06-02-2013

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Lukus 6 Feb 2013 12:18:12 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't think of anything much more tedious than watching someone play a game live, with no editing out of the shit bits, or funny commentary.

It sounds almost as pointlessly awful as a unboxing videos.

Paintings & Photographs

• Psychotext 6 Feb 2013 12:21:27 53,949 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's no way either of them will go "anti-used games" unless both of them do. It's just not going to happen.
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Feb 2013 12:30:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    There's no way either of them will go "anti-used games" unless both of them do. It's just not going to happen.
    I can foresee Sony doing that (first) in the distance future however, if they continue their PS+ thingummy, it won't be quite as bad as a lost as it could be ... except those who do not have a super-duper Internet connection, of course.

Oh, only 2 weeks to go to see the next PlayStation!

: )
  • RyanDS 6 Feb 2013 12:32:17 9,255 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    As for always on-line not a big issue with that apart from what happens if my internet connection goes down? It does happen and I would not want to be locked out of my console due to an ISP fault.
    Or if you move house? Goodbye gaming for several weeks.
  • oceanmotion 6 Feb 2013 12:32:29 15,820 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Both of them might and not like it's a new thing, PC games.

I wouldn't mind if prices are cheaper, pc like sales, variety of games and different price levels become more common.

Doubt that would happen as they are greedy fucks with little to no competition.

Not the worst idea in the world as more money might go the right way but you just know greed will come into it.
  • Dirtbox 6 Feb 2013 12:34:20 77,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If they drop the prices in line with PC games, then fair enough, otherwise they can get fucked. Plus a PC game is for life, a console game is for the life of the console in most cases.

• mikeck 6 Feb 2013 12:34:46 1,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext That Edge article is NDA breakingly close to the bone.
  • oceanmotion 6 Feb 2013 12:35:21 15,820 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    Or if you move house? Goodbye gaming for several weeks.
    I imagine it would be the same as it is now, license on the console, game can be played offline with no fuss. 360 does this well enough now.
  • Psychotext 6 Feb 2013 12:37:35 53,949 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @Psychotext That Edge article is NDA breakingly close to the bone.
    Then as I said, they'll both do it. It's the only way it would ever happen (it would also need to be with the agreement of all the publishing houses).
  • jellyhead 6 Feb 2013 12:41:56 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PCWiiU for me then. Oh, that means i'm all set for the next couple of years as Always Online is not something that is of any use to me due to shitty Virgin broadband and our crappy exchange.

Next-gen could turn out to cost £100,00+ if i have to move house just to play some games. So rural people won't be able to play either?

I suppose with Gold, DLC & map packs MS make enough money from online and it's whales to fob the rest of us off. Thanks MS!

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 12:44:38
    I think the share button feature might have been intended to avoid faceoff retractions like the final fantasy ones, and potentially make personnel like RL redundant. It will certainly make faceoffs far more interesting, when any gamer can make and share a video in 5mins flat to prove a point on a forum.

But it will also make DFs job easier for analysing a console with the share feature. Not to mention it is an excellent feature for software developer QA teams using retail decks, and it will allow for quality bug reporting by the gaming public too. Providing the ability to send a video of the bug with a description gives the developers much more powerful feedback to be able to detect the source of bugs,.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last