Next generation of consoles come in Page 5

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• AaronTurner 24 Oct 2012 10:22:01 7,763 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How well do we think next next gen consoles will sell? At the moment I have no desire to spend half a grand on a new console and I still feel more than happy with the current experience. I'm not sure how MS or Sony are going to sell these to me, I doubt it will be the games but more the media side that might tip me over.
  • Zomoniac 24 Oct 2012 10:28:28 7,839 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd buy one, but only because I've become so utterly indifferent about gaming lately that I think it's the only thing that might actually make me want to play one again. New shiny is always a bit of an enthusiasm booster.
  • mcmonkeyplc 24 Oct 2012 10:33:51 39,464 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have no idea if I'll ever buy another console on launch ever again.

I hardly ever play my 360 or PS3 anymore. I only use my PS3 for DVD's and blu-ray's. The xbox is used for Forza and Halo when I feel it and that's about it.

The PC gets more gaming time from me these days and what gaming time I have left is rapidly depreciating. I have no idea why. It's not like I have kids or anything I just can't be arsed with the same old all the time.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Blerk Moderator 24 Oct 2012 10:35:24 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm sure they'll do very well, providing they're not stupidly-priced out of the gate. Yes, I'm looking at you, Sony.

Now that I've proven that I'm a filthy turncoat who can switch console allegiances at the drop of a hat I think I'll join a bit earlier this time around. Although I'll need to see a decent rash of 'couldn't have done that on the 360/PS3' titles first, plain old 'shinier' isn't a system seller for me.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Oct 2012 10:38:09 3,319 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I'd buy one, but only because I've become so utterly indifferent about gaming lately that I think it's the only thing that might actually make me want to play one again. New shiny is always a bit of an enthusiasm booster.
    I also seem to have lost my gaming erection in the last few months. Normally, i'd be chuffed about playing a new FIFA or a great new IP like Dishonoured, but i've been very indifferent towards them.

Definitely think its time for something new.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• EMarkM 24 Oct 2012 10:41:27 3,174 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder whether we'll get the Wii U at some point, as Mrs. EMarkM is bound to want to play whatever Zelda games come out for it, and I would hope that there will be several other worthy exclusives on that platform too.

But, apart from that, I really think I may be moving over to PC this time. My gaming history (with some minor exceptions) started with home computers, table top consoles like Munch Man, Firefox and Frogger, and Nintendo Game + Watch stuff. I then got into Amigas, and the original PlayStation was my first modern gaming console.

After that, it's been consoles all the way for us: PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 then PS3, but there just seems to be so much inventive stuff out there in PC land. Plus, I feel badly burned by Skyrim on the PS3 - I only bought the console to play that one game on! I have a feeling that RPG and RTS games will be much better on a computer attached to our nice TV.
  • AaronTurner 24 Oct 2012 10:44:28 7,763 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The PS3 is still too expensive in my eyes, I'd like to pick one up for the exclusives but I can't justify it.
  • Psychotext 24 Oct 2012 10:56:41 54,311 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will take me years to buy one, but I'm really not what you'd consider a gamer any more. =/
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Oct 2012 11:02:10 3,319 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    The PS3 is still too expensive in my eyes, I'd like to pick one up for the exclusives but I can't justify it.
    Shirley the new Super Slim is your friend?.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Razz 24 Oct 2012 11:47:21 61,288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Slightly old news but could be significant if true - this could be Sonys turn to get a head-start.
    Yes well, history has taught us how well that worked out for the Dreamcast. Then again, there would be a certain poetic justice in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• superdelphinus 24 Oct 2012 15:50:57 8,074 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I will stick with pcs and the pc upgrade train for the next generation cycle
  • kalel 24 Oct 2012 15:54:56 87,933 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Slightly old news but could be significant if true - this could be Sonys turn to get a head-start.
    Yes well, history has taught us how well that worked out for the Dreamcast. Then again, there would be a certain poetic justice in it.
    You don't want to be too early (WiiU cough cough) but early is good generally. Certainly was crucial to the 360's success.
  • Tonka 24 Oct 2012 18:58:25 20,577 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People actually believe MS has something in the works?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 24 October 2012 19:34:29
    I have a wii u on pre-order. But sort of meh with the other two. I've been pretty much a ps gamer since its incarnation with the odd nintendo console thrown into the mix. But i've been jaded with gaming for a while too.

Dark souls reversed that majorly. What an awesome game. But yeah i agree with the above, shinier isn't going to cut it for me. So will wait and see with the next xbox and ps systems.

Nintendo is a bit different for me, i hardly used the wii, or invested in it, i brought it as a family present so havn't had the time and properly sit there with games like xenoblade. But i see the wii u as a kind of reset point with them. Getting to see everything in HD is exciting.

I'm pissed off with Day One Dlc, day one patches, shipped broken games, linear games, and just general, and at the moment Nintendo as a publishers does not do that.

Ok they had extra maps with NSM2 - i'm fine with that, addings maps and race tracks or whatever is fine by me. They only ever had to fix wuhu island in MK7. so that impresses me.

It just what i want as a gamer at the moment. Theres quite a bit of exciting stuff coming as well for playstation , and a backlog of games to get through, i think wii u and ps3 will do me for a while.
  • King_Edward 24 Oct 2012 20:00:42 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll get a Bayonetta box when Bayonetta comes out but otherwise I'm not bothering.
  • CosmicFuzz 24 Oct 2012 20:03:22 24,584 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    People actually believe MS has something in the works?
    Of course they do.

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• Carlo 24 Oct 2012 20:28:05 18,072 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The next generation of consoles will be so different from what we have now (and what we used to regard as gaming platforms), that most of us 'old school' gamers will be completely turned off by them.

It's going to be all waggle hands/devices, 3D and other such bollocks which will try to hide the fact that games have become increasingly generic and non-innovative to the point that we'll all say bollocks, and either go back to PC gaming, or wander off and something else to pass the time.

The next generation will be shit. I bet they still won't be able to sustain 60 fps and (real not upscaled) 1080p for the majority of the games released.

All that'll remain for us gamers other than the above will be shitty 'social' games marketed at the thick-as-shit ADHD generation behind us.

They'll be just as miffed as us.

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 24 October 2012 20:31:10
    Carlo wrote:
    The next generation of consoles will be so different from what we have now (and what we used to regard as gaming platforms), that most of us 'old school' gamers will be completely turned off by them.

It's going to be all waggle hands/devices, 3D and other such bollocks which will try to hide the fact that games have become increasingly generic and non-innovative to the point that we'll all say bollocks, and either go back to PC gaming, or wander off and something else to pass the time.

The next generation will be shit. I bet they still won't be able to sustain 60 fps and (real not upscaled) 1080p for the majority of the games released.

All that'll remain for us gamers other than the above will be shitty 'social' games marketed at the thick-as-shit ADHD generation behind us.

They'll be just as miffed as us.
    ahh the cynicism... but you sir, are entirely correct. :)
  • King_Edward 24 Oct 2012 20:32:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There'll always be Halo.
  • mal 24 Oct 2012 21:00:31 22,608 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Once I've got past the bonkers menus and peculiar level mechanics, it often surprises me how often new games are just the same as old games, but in different clothes. We still have training levels, hub systems, levels and all that jazz - they've just started hiding it, for reasons that escape me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• superdelphinus 24 Oct 2012 21:14:06 8,074 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you could say that about anything really though
  • oceanmotion 24 Oct 2012 21:23:42 15,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But teh Steam box! Gabe will save us.

Yeah there is that cinematic clothing but when you actually notice the same basic design behind the fancy exterior it really hits home. That along with the grind XP mechanic they all love now, most games don't excite me that much. No surprise the last three games I've bought were XBLA.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jan 2013 22:24:05 11,300 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So, Wii U is out.
    Horsepowerwise it's beyond PS360 but not massively, time will tell how much better it performs. The gamepad isn't perfect but seems excellent as does Miiverse and the OS (apart from the speed which will hopefully be sorted).
    So, it's a nice but not mindblowing system and the initial lineup of games is decent but not amazing.

The question is, what do people really want from the next few machines from Sony and Microsoft, what will make you go out and buy one at launch?

As a recent convert to PC gaming it'll take some interesting exclusives to make me go for the MS machine (unless Wii U style it has something to offer over the PC versions of mp stuff). The same applies to Sony but that's more of a given for my tastes.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• NOSAVIOUR 3 Jan 2013 22:28:08 2,804 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Destiny for Xbox 720 at launch. Microsoft have it as an exclusive for 1 year and the first game launches in 2013.

Edited by NOSAVIOUR at 22:28:30 03-01-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Jan 2013 22:30:10 11,300 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Destiny for Xbox 720 at launch. Microsoft have it as an exclusive for 1 year and the first game launches in 2013.
    Destiny?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• NOSAVIOUR 3 Jan 2013 22:31:29 2,804 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bungie's new game.
  • SolidSCB 3 Jan 2013 22:31:58 6,774 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DestiHalony

Edited by SolidSCB at 22:32:25 03-01-2013
  • Deckard1 3 Jan 2013 22:34:42 28,264 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why even mention the Wii U in here you melty faced goon. It's quite clearly a current gen console.
  • King_Edward 3 Jan 2013 22:35:19 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll buy the one with the most Metal Gear.
  • oceanmotion 3 Jan 2013 22:46:02 15,976 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Microsoft need to make online gaming free for me to jump in early. I haven't seen value in it since Xbox 1 and have only played with the odd one pound deal, glitch and a month free or whatever with some item. I don't play as much either so it's even less appealing to pay. Just a piss take from MS for too long now.

I do love the games, platform, controller particularly so I'll always pick one up eventually but had enough of Xbox Live Gold. Puts me right off and makes me spend less on games and content.

Bring on the single player games. Few top tier ones and I may just crumble quicker.

Edited by oceanmotion at 22:48:05 03-01-2013
  • Page

of 402 First / Last