Next generation of consoles come in Page 37

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Leolian 23 Jan 2013 17:08:44 1,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely much of this is speculation still. Valve are still only "speaking to potential partners". They have said their box will run linux, how many games on steam support linux? Not that many, but a linux run box that streams content makes far more sense.
  • Dirtbox 23 Jan 2013 17:09:04 78,582 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    If the PS3 and 360 can be classified as consoles when they run Linux / web browsers / media players / film rentals / can use keyboards and so on, I don't really see how the steambox won't count as a console really.
    Yeah, I dunno either. The lines have been blurred for so long that it's a completely pointless, anally retentive argument.

Hell, I control my main PC with a remote control from the sofa these days. Does that make it a tivo box?

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:09:54 23-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• whatfruit 23 Jan 2013 17:15:20 1,623 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If i'm running windows and word on my steam box does that make it a windows desktop workstation?

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Dirtbox 23 Jan 2013 17:18:17 78,582 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, it makes you the most boring person to draw breath.

• whatfruit 23 Jan 2013 17:20:55 1,623 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm not talking about me i'm talking about the box.

Stay on message reggie.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Dirtbox 23 Jan 2013 17:24:22 78,582 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not the one running Word on my games console, Christopher.

• the_dudefather 23 Jan 2013 17:29:07 9,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Guy sends out 'I work for Microsoft' email to games sites with random next gen Xbox stuff he made up, awaits results

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• kinky_mong 23 Jan 2013 17:37:59 10,535 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hahaha, brilliant! Am I imaging that Eurogamer did an article on these "rumours" or have they sneakily removed the article?

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Lukus 23 Jan 2013 17:46:21 19,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha, someone linked to VG24's writeup of the rumour in one of these threads not all that long ago...

Paintings & Photographs

• Blerk Moderator 23 Jan 2013 18:51:51 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    More Xbox rumours, including a silly name thing. Seems almost mad enough to be true.
    That was me! :D

Goes to show how easy it is to play the system. Got to wonder just how much of anything we've seen reported so far is actually true. Maybe as little as 'none of it'.
  • Benno 23 Jan 2013 18:54:09 10,116 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was you? :p
  • Benno 23 Jan 2013 18:54:59 10,116 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Point well made! I am going to put the brakes on speculation for now.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Jan 2013 18:56:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait, that makes it look like I started the rumour! I didn't start the rumour. Honest. I just posted the link to the story in this thread earlier.

I didn't start the rumour. Rumour: I might have started the rumour.
  • Lukus 23 Jan 2013 19:03:11 19,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha, another example of how these things get out of hand.

Paintings & Photographs

• the_dudefather 23 Jan 2013 19:07:37 9,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's like just before E3 when someone posts a photo of an 'E3 schedule'

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 19:09:24
    more ps4 rumours: http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-playstation-4-has-a-new-controller-fancy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

new controller: controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button.

also has a share button. Controller will be more like the DS than what we led to believe.
  • Psychotext 23 Jan 2013 19:55:52 54,522 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Controller stuff is interesting enough... but the account stuff is "duh" (I can't believe they never got around to handling that properly on the PS3) and the hardware info is useless because it's just a dev kit.

Edited by Psychotext at 19:58:45 23-01-2013
  • crashVoodoo 23 Jan 2013 21:02:04 3,967 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the one change that Microsoft need to make with regards to live if it remains paid only is its tied to the console and not the user. No more fucking a family over for multiple live subs. That's probably the only thing that grates on me with their service.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Bremenacht 23 Jan 2013 21:32:10 18,793 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Does the Steambox essentially self-obsolete then as newer games are released on Steam that it can't handle?
    No more than consoles do, except they call it 'generations'.
    Don't forget these Steam based games will be hardly optimised for a 'games only' machine though will they? They'll be built with PC in mind. Given that then surely the cycle of having to replace hardware will most likely be higher on a steam box than on a console as dev's won't optimise the code as much on steam as they do on a fixed console platform?
    Why wouldn't they? Valve will be in charge of the drivers. You'll have less of the O/S and drivers and all the other stuff that has to be there on a Windows PC. It should be a highly focused machine.

Given how the PS4/720 are more like off-the-shelf PC parts with a custom dashboard for each, saying the Steambox -with off-the-shelf parts and a custom dashboard (Steam big picture)- isn't console doesn't make much sense. Would it help if it was called 'the Steam console'?

Edited by Bremenacht at 21:32:34 23-01-2013
  • andijames 24 Jan 2013 09:32:17 2,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    andijames wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Does the Steambox essentially self-obsolete then as newer games are released on Steam that it can't handle?
    No more than consoles do, except they call it 'generations'.
    Don't forget these Steam based games will be hardly optimised for a 'games only' machine though will they? They'll be built with PC in mind. Given that then surely the cycle of having to replace hardware will most likely be higher on a steam box than on a console as dev's won't optimise the code as much on steam as they do on a fixed console platform?
    Why wouldn't they? Valve will be in charge of the drivers. You'll have less of the O/S and drivers and all the other stuff that has to be there on a Windows PC. It should be a highly focused machine.

Given how the PS4/720 are more like off-the-shelf PC parts with a custom dashboard for each, saying the Steambox -with off-the-shelf parts and a custom dashboard (Steam big picture)- isn't console doesn't make much sense. Would it help if it was called 'the Steam console'?
    Agreed that the OS would be minimal and that Valve would be in charge of the drivers but the studios making these games are targeting PC's as a general no? They wouldn't be targeting specific 'Steam Box' machines. The hardware isn't 'fixed' in the steam box and is allowed to evolve and be upgraded so where's the need in optimising your code to run on a box which a) you don't know what hardware is running and b) it's easier to just set a spec target and get the users' to upgrade if they want to.

With the next Sony / Microsoft consoles it's a fixed platform. They can't increase the specs and this is why developers have to optimise the hell out of their software to squeeze every last cycle out of the components. In some ways the developers are forced to optimise everything whereas in a PC you can just 'upgrade' it.

Edited by andijames at 09:33:28 24-01-2013

vivir el momento

• Flying_Pig 25 Jan 2013 22:50:29 11,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As someone who's bought the last 4 pieces of Sony hardware on launch day (including the Vita), there's no way I'll be getting a next-gen console in 2013 or (probably) 2014.

I have a pretty substantial backlog on my PS3 and as much I'll get tempted by the new shiny-shiny, I couldn't justify spending 300+ on new hardware. My gaming is very much focused on handhelds, and my free time to use the PS3 ( or it's replacement) is massively restricted.

If I were to buy a next-gen console, it would almost certainly be the PS4. Sony would really have to cock up to make me switch to the XBox - mainly due to the cost of XBL Gold and the fact that I've grown up with the key Sony exclusive IPs
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 13:51:15
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    to make me switch to the XBox - mainly due to the cost of XBL Gold and the fact that I've grown up with the key Sony exclusive IPs
    I paid 22 for my 12 month XBL subscription. 1.83 per month.
  • RyanDS 27 Jan 2013 13:53:44 9,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    to make me switch to the XBox - mainly due to the cost of XBL Gold and the fact that I've grown up with the key Sony exclusive IPs
    I paid 22 for my 12 month XBL subscription. 1.83 per month.
    What a waste. You could have bought a game with that money and still played it online.
  • Flying_Pig 27 Jan 2013 14:06:28 11,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I paid £22 for my 12 month XBL subscription. £1.83 per month.
    What a waste. You could have bought a game with that money and still played it online.
    Exactly my point.
  • RedSparrows 27 Jan 2013 14:20:02 23,446 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bollocks is it a waste of he wants to play on 360. Stop telling people what is 'right'
  • Psychotext 27 Jan 2013 14:21:48 54,522 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really don't see the point in arguing about it. For some people it's worth it, for others it's not.

Hell, if you want to take the "you could have bought a game" argument to its final destination then why by the consoles to start with, I could buy 100 PC games for the same price.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 14:28:10
    Pyschotext: I really don't see the point in arguing about it. For some people it's worth it, for others it's like always eating yellow golden snow

Certainly didn't expect you to make that comparison. I think you should apologize to NeverEatYellowSnow ;)
  • Flying_Pig 27 Jan 2013 15:15:35 11,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Bollocks is it a waste of he wants to play on 360. Stop telling people what is 'right'
    It's only my opinion, but paying £30 a year (or whatever it is) is a waste for me - I just don't play online enough to make paying for the pleasure of doing so worthwhile.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 16:11:05
    Please do go on.
  • RyanDS 27 Jan 2013 17:22:50 9,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Right is including a full stop at the end of a sentence. Right is also not including random words such as "of" into sentences.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last