Homeland - US Pace Page 4

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 26 Mar 2012 13:34:43 3,251 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @craigy We watched all 12 back to back over a few days. I think one a week would significantly kill the "ohmygod, must watch more!" vibe we got from it. Also, the pacing people are feeling is too slow, you really don't get a sense of that when you can put another one on immediately.

But to do so before the UK series finishes means grabbing the US version the naughty way, you may not want to do that.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 26 Mar 2012 13:36:09 3,251 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    OK, nine episodes in and it's really good.
    /shouldhavereadthewholethreadfirst

;)

• TarickStonefire 26 Mar 2012 13:37:08 3,251 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    24 is a show that you watch with popcorn and beer and friends, taking shots every time Jack says "damnit".
    And a double if he follows it with "we're running out of time!"

• Razz 26 Mar 2012 13:39:51 61,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And a puff every time he says "President"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Vortex808 5 May 2012 21:02:05 7,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lost a few weeks by being away on holiday/busy and have just caught up with the last few weeks episodes.

I have really enjoyed this and will miss it when it's finished. Roll on the second series!
  • kalel 8 May 2012 09:43:19 88,511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of a meh from me having just finished Season 1. For me it sat somewhere in between the silly fun of 24 or Lost, but not quite as quality through and through as something like Mad Men.

So it ends up being neither "OMG I'M EXCITED!!!" nor "wow, that was really beautiful and well written and tense and original". So yeah, bit meh.
  • Alastair 8 May 2012 10:09:55 16,086 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find myself slightly annoyed that it's yet another series that doesn't finish neatly. And also fairly interested to see what will happen in the next series.
    I'm interested enough that I'll watch the next series to see what happens, but I hope it doesn't drag on interminably.
  • craigy Staff 8 May 2012 10:13:42 7,725 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The show finished perfectly. I'm annoyed that they feel compelled to follow it up with a second season. Same with American Horror Story. They're both perfectly capped off stories that are destined to be ruined by the demand for more of the same.
  • beastmaster 8 May 2012 10:13:43 11,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I though it was a bit of a cop-out. In a way, it had to finish the way it did otherwise there wouldn't be a second series.

That dudes wife is well fit though. I ended up getting the V box set on Blu-Ray because she's in it. It may be shit (I don't know) but dammmmnn! She be hot.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Vortex808 8 May 2012 10:15:28 7,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been enjoying it, but have still to watch the finale. That's for some night this week once the kid's in bed and I can concentrate fully on it.

Things were hotting up nicely in the penultimate episode of the series, although it does irk me that it looks like it might not all get resolved at the end of this series.

Having kids does not help me feel like watching long, involved series anymore. Which is why I gave up on 24 during series 4. I've found Homeland more relaxing and involving to watch than later series of 24 though. With that you knew they'd save/capture the person/whatever, only for some other disaster to befall them later on in the episode to continue the series.

The worst probably being Kim escaping from somewhere only to run into some loopy survivalist nut. That caused some major eye rolling and 'again?' from me.
  • kalel 8 May 2012 10:22:39 88,511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, second series totally unnecessary.

Does anyone know if you can get the original Israeli series with subtitles anywhere? I have a feeling it's worth watching.
  • craigy Staff 8 May 2012 10:24:25 7,725 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel it's getting a DVD release in August:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoners-War-Series-1-DVD/dp/B007RD9OKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336469036&sr=8-1
  • Scurrminator 8 May 2012 10:24:34 8,443 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    problem with US shows is they need to get them to 100 episodes for syndication - that's when they really start to make money for the networks.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• kalel 8 May 2012 10:27:37 88,511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @kalel it's getting a DVD release in August:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoners-War-Series-1-DVD/dp/B007RD9OKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336469036&sr=8-1
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Vortex808 8 May 2012 11:34:13 7,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, second series totally unnecessary.

Does anyone know if you can get the original Israeli series with subtitles anywhere? I have a feeling it's worth watching.
    I'm pretty sure I read in the sunday paper it's going to be broadcast on british tv soon.

Not sure if it was on sky or digital channels though I'm afraid. I can't even remember what it was called so can't search for you- I'm not much use at this!
  • Jono62 8 May 2012 11:51:59 14,204 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Israeli version is going to be on Sky Arts 1 on Thursday at 9:30PM.

It's called Prisoners of War here.

Edited by Jono62 at 11:52:31 08-05-2012
  • kalel 8 May 2012 11:53:53 88,511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice. I bet it's better.
  • Blakester 8 May 2012 11:55:41 3,637 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Add me to the list of peeps that were seriously underwhelmed by the finale.

The missus and I had a long chat about it afterwards and both agreed that we would have preferred the narrative be wrapped up rather than left open for a second season. In our opinion we would rather that Carrie and Sol started work on a new case in season 2 even if it meant that Damian Lewis had to leave the show.

We though the finale kind of fizzled out after the high tension of the bomb scene, so all our emotional investment felt wasted. Also didn't help to learn that season 2 is probably over a year away from broadcast.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 8 May 2012 11:58:21 88,511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the ending would have been fine if it had been the actual ending. Quite like the idea that we just know he'll go on and be part of the government, maybe even President himself one day. The idea of what might happen in our heads is far more powerful than actually seeing it play out in the next five seasons. That's just lame.
  • LFMartins 8 May 2012 12:07:47 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    The show finished perfectly. I'm annoyed that they feel compelled to follow it up with a second season. Same with American Horror Story. They're both perfectly capped off stories that are destined to be ruined by the demand for more of the same.
    AHS will have a completely different story this season. Even the few actors that are returning will be playing new characters. That was always the plan, a new horror story for each season with new actors.
  • Vortex808 8 May 2012 21:46:33 7,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched the last episode, which was excellent. My favourite tv series in recent years.

It should have ended there, but I'll definitely watch the next one to see what happens
  • jonsaan 8 May 2012 21:52:37 25,364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If homeland has a new story. Same team different perps then it will be fine. Sadly I think they will string out this tale with the current guy and his realtionship with abu whatsit.

FCUTA!

• kdsh7 8 May 2012 21:58:41 1,174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @beastmaster You went for V instead of Firefly?? You need to watch Firefly if you haven't already!
  • kdsh7 8 May 2012 22:01:11 1,174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Blakester Where did you read season 2 is over a year from broadcast? It starts in September in the US so hopefully we won't have to wait too long

• Deleted user 9 May 2012 10:25:51
    I really enjoyed the finale. I think it was quite brave rather than a cop out. In a way i was willing for brody to flick the switch , so that everyone, the good guys would be vindicated. Brody in a way himself. (fuck, going to have the FBI knocking on my door soon ha!)

Its quite an interesting anti hero scenario. But ultimately the good guys never really win. And you do wonder how sol had the stomach to do this for his career.

What i liked as well, was there was actual more CIA stuff this week. Sort of what spy stories are made up off. Seeing Sol dig dirt, and have his mojo back was pretty good to watch. Still think his up to something.

The show was neatly put together, i think they knew excatly where they going with the show. Where the show dragged its feet a bit in the middle of the season, it was setting up nicely for the last few episodes. And the set up was well done, and the ending made sense - He loves his daughter as much as Iser. . One thing i wanted to happen, is cary to know that his daughter rang him , even if it was second hand. For her to have that peace would have been nice, but i guess the world doesn't work like that. But i guess that would confirm to her that brody was a terrorist.

I think watching, i guess like most series (Except lost, lost was expert on leaving you hanging on for the next week), would be better in a couple of sittings.

Anyway overall enjoyed the series a lot, seeing messed up people, well normal people really, in a world governed my strict straight lines, rules and regulations is quite compulsive viewing.

Edited by joelstinton at 10:26:58 09-05-2012

Edited by joelstinton at 10:28:50 09-05-2012
  • Benno 9 May 2012 11:33:51 10,112 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought it was an underwhelming finale, although I loved the bit where he was on the phone to his daughter, very tense scene and some fantastic acting.
  • monkeyspasm 9 May 2012 11:39:59 2,815 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I loved it. Damien Lewis has been fantastic in this, a superb performance, as were most of the others.
  • TechnoHippy 13 May 2012 13:58:41 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just watching the first episode of Prisoners of War now. I hav eto say its off to a good start. The scene where they are all reunited for the first time is quite well done. Early days but I do prefer it to Homeland so far.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Page

of 17 First / Last