Homeland - US Pace Page 11

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 11:53:26
    Most if not all of the characters are either utter cunts or morons.

I'm on episode 8 of the second season now and I kind of feel like giving up on it. Twists and revelations don't matter because every single character seems to forget getting fucked over by the other characters in the previous episode.

Carrie does multiple things per episode that would have her thrown off the investigation. Brody would have been made by the terrorists at every meeting he has with them because he constantly acts weird.

None of it makes sense from even the most basic storytelling point of view. I had heard it was an awful season but it may well be the worst season of anything I've ever seen so far and I watched Heroes in its entirety.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 11:57:17
    Brodys daughter just got away with the hit and run because the victims daughter told her to fuck off and keep her mouth shut.

What was the point of that entire storyline then?
  • monkman76 12 Mar 2013 12:06:38 3,396 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, just stop watching it.
  • mrpon 12 Mar 2013 12:12:49 27,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Most if not all of the characters are either utter cunts or morons.
    A bit like real life?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Mola_Ram 12 Mar 2013 12:17:31 6,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Brodys daughter just got away with the hit and run because the victims daughter told her to fuck off and keep her mouth shut.

What was the point of that entire storyline then?
    That people in power often have enough money to cheat justice? The VP's family paid off the victims to keep quiet, so the message seems pretty clear there.

Which is not to say that I thought the storyline was all that great. But it did have a fairly obvious point.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Mar 2013 12:19:22 6,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    None of it makes sense from even the most basic storytelling point of view. I had heard it was an awful season but it may well be the worst season of anything I've ever seen so far and I watched Heroes in its entirety.
    This... I just... really? You have got to be kidding. I suggest you rewatch Heroes and go repent your sins.
  • sirtacos 12 Aug 2013 03:56:26 7,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Currently watching episode 4 of season 1.

It's very good. Very good. Could be described as a cross between "24" and "The Lives of Others".

Doesn't reach the Olympian heights of the 'best TV shows ever' (Sopranos, Wire, etc.), but it doesn't belong too far below.

I hear the second season's shit though. Too bad - the first season is very compelling thus far.

Edited by sirtacos at 04:10:21 12-08-2013
  • Razz 12 Aug 2013 07:50:31 59,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nope the first half of the first season is compelling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• glaeken 12 Aug 2013 09:37:38 10,976 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it really should have been a single season story and they should have had the guts to end it as it should have ended with Brody blowing himself up. I get the feeling if it had not been such a hit then that is how it would have ended but once it was a big hit Brody had to be able to come back for season two.
  • TarickStonefire 12 Aug 2013 09:47:11 2,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I liked the second season. Sure, it was clearly bolted on after the first did so well, but it wasn't that bad as entertainment goes.

The first season was just special because it was new and unexpected. Second seasons of such high concept shows rarely match the expectations.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• glaeken 12 Aug 2013 10:02:09 10,976 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was certainly watchable. I just find Brody a lot less interesting now that the whole is he or isn't he a bad guy thing is resolved. He is not interesting as a good guy. That just does not work for the character.
  • TarickStonefire 12 Aug 2013 10:35:11 2,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    It was certainly watchable. I just find Brody a lot less interesting now that the whole is he or isn't he a bad guy thing is resolved. He is not interesting as a good guy. That just does not work for the character.
    Agreed - I can't even really remember what his role was in the second series, that's how pointless it was keeping him around for it. I do remember he was framed for the event at the end, though, which should give him something to do this season, but I've also heard this season is being considered Homeland 2.0, which is a bit confusing as it's the third series. Perhaps that means there'll be some proper shakeups and a decent interesting baddie this time. Or maybe they just mean there'll be more musical numbers this time.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• sirtacos 15 Aug 2013 01:19:29 7,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, the ending of the penultimate episode of season 1 was absolute horse bollocks.
    What a lazy, contrived, cop-out of a plot device. Everything that preceded it was pretty good, but that last thing - I know bomb vests fail to go off in real life, but that was just shit.
  • sirtacos 15 Aug 2013 01:25:21 7,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wasn't going to call it a deus ex machina, but upon reflection, I think the term fits.

Anyway, Season 2 - I've only seen the first episode but Brody's wife has suddenly turned into a huge cunt. Also, the ignorance and xenophobia on display from the Americans portrayed in the show have quickly put me on Abu Nazir's side. I hope Brody bombs them all soon.

Edited by sirtacos at 06:09:02 15-08-2013
  • monkman76 15 Aug 2013 06:25:23 3,396 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    But that's one of the reasons it's a good show - it's not black and white, good vs evil. I've never seen 24 but I imagine that's much more gung ho America saves the world.
  • sirtacos 15 Aug 2013 06:34:23 7,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah fair enough.

You imagine correctly, btw - even at its worst, Homeland is a masterwork of nuances compared to 24.

24 isn't so much about America saving the world as it is about a guy who tortures a bunch of people and keeps yelling "DAMMIT" in a strange semi-whisper.

Edited by sirtacos at 06:35:36 15-08-2013
  • Mola_Ram 15 Aug 2013 06:35:20 6,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, that's exactly what 24 is about. And it's glorious.
  • sirtacos 17 Aug 2013 14:06:13 7,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Season 2 was pretty good, actually.

It certainly has its flaws - and its fair share of 'wtf' moments that suspend your suspension of disbelief and take you out of the whole thing. For example, when Carrie and that FBI tactical team guy were investigating a secret room in the sewers. Without backup. Monumentally stupid shit like that.

It also has its fair share of cheesiness. e.g. Quinn has a change of heart about his orders to murder Brody... so he shows up at the CIA director's house and threatens him into letting sleeping dogs lie... and in doing so, blurts out this gem: "cause I'm the guy that kills bad guys."
    That being said, I did enjoy the cheesiness. Especially the bit I just talked about in the spoiler tags.

I also enjoyed the show's unpredictability. On the whole, I suppose it was quite predictable... and it could be cheap at times - two-pence plot devices, deus ex machinas, inexplicably idiotic decisions and so forth - but sometimes, it would subvert genre conventions and genuinely surprise me.
    A small example of this is when Carrie interviews the 'reporter' working for Nazir. She gets teary and emotional, and you're led to believe that she's successfully creating some rapport. You expect the reporter to roll over, just like that blonde did with Saul in season 1. Then, all of a sudden - Carrie gets called a stupid whore, gets yelled at, and is abused and humiliated during a vulnerable moment.

And finally, possibly the best part of the show: Saul and Carrie's relationship.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun watching it. I even enjoyed the finale. Tacked on or no, I actually like the way it ended.

Edited by sirtacos at 00:04:06 18-08-2013
  • Humperfunk 2 Sep 2013 00:12:28 1,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Seems the first episode of season 3 is available...

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 2 September 2013 02:07:57
    Yep, it's leaked a month early. Have it ready to watch, but I dunno if I'm going to. It's over a month until episode 2 will be out, so the momentum will be screwed up pretty bad if I watch it now.
  • superdelphinus 2 Sep 2013 08:22:40 7,265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Christ what an awful decision to have to make
  • Humperfunk 2 Sep 2013 08:28:05 1,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @meme

Ah didn't realise that - just got a text off a mate so started downloading and thought I'd stick it here! Think I'll be waiting until it starts properly too in that case.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• L0cky 2 Sep 2013 09:05:40 1,442 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yep, it's leaked a month early. Have it ready to watch, but I dunno if I'm going to. It's over a month until episode 2 will be out, so the momentum will be screwed up pretty bad if I watch it now.
    DAMMIT CHLOE!
  • freedumb 3 Oct 2013 04:49:57 1,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    S2 had its fair share of plotholes and silly things happening due to clumsy writing, and a romance I didn't care for, but strangely I enjoyed it overall more than S1 which I liked but thought was praised a bit too much.

S1 was decent till about 4-5 episodes from the end. The tension was built up slowly episode by episode usually until the climax of each episode where it was ramped up even more, but it petered out for some time, got dull, then the last episode saved it. Its almost as if the 'is he isn't he' premise and the restrained style in themselves carried it through as some sort of flawless series which for me it wasn't.

I think there was still plenty of tension and uncertainty in S2 aside from the silly stuff.

I've suspected Saul since season 1, at several points he seemed suspicious; but would actually prefer the mole not to be him, I like his character.

Edited by freedumb at 04:53:46 03-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2013 08:08:28 6,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, S3 is here.

Pretty boring episode, really. It wasn't bad per se (except for the newest teen drama travails of Dana), but it didn't exactly get me pumped up for the rest of the season.
  • TheSaint 3 Oct 2013 09:33:30 13,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Taking topless selfies on TV never ends well.
  • TheSaint 3 Oct 2013 09:34:03 13,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Especially when you're sending them to that annoying little shit from Dexter.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2013 09:37:27 6,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh yeah, he was that guy from Dexter. I saw him in one episode before giving up because, you know, Dexter.
  • customfirmware 6 Oct 2013 20:35:01 669 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Awww season 3 starts in 30mins on channel 4.
  • Darren 7 Oct 2013 10:28:08 8,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was quite an understated seasoner opener, wasn't it?

For starters, Brody was nowhere to be seen at all, not a single scene showing where in the world he is, and we find out that Dana had tried to kill herself. And poor old Carrier... her relationship with Saul has almost been like father/daughter but for him to stab her in the back like that... it seemed very uncharacteristic really, in particular after the final scene of season 2 when Carrie walks in as Saul is looking at all the dead bodies from the bombing. His smile of relief, knowing that was alive, showed how much he cared for her..

I'm currently debating whether to download this week's episode 2 from the US or wait until next Sunday and watch it on Channel 4 complete with annoying adverts. Tough choice!

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Page

of 16 First / Last