I Am Nikon thread Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 15 December 2012 11:05:18
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Good day photography enthusiasts!

I have no interest in photography whatsoever, however, Mrs USW has expressed an interest in it before.

Today, i have ordered her THIS camera as her christmas gift.

Please confirm it is a good purchase or i will shit in my trousers.

Thank you.
    Just got me one of those, shooting in manual was an utter mind fuck at first but I think I'm getting used to it, love being able to take shots in lower light without flash and it's oddly addictive fiddling with the settings to get a lower ISO :D

How you getting on with it?
  • Nth 15 Dec 2012 14:34:44 3,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck manual mode, A is where it's at :)

/easier life
  • Deleted user 15 December 2012 14:38:56
    Defeats the purpose of buying an SLR in the first does it not?
  • mal 15 Dec 2012 15:12:59 22,414 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not really. You still have the same IQ in A mode (as you have in full-on Auto mode, to be fair). You still have the control over the aperture and shutter speed. You just lose the ability to make massively under or over-exposed shots.

On the other hand, I have made a few massively blurry shots in A mode through forgetting I was still in low ISO and not paying attention to the shutter speed the camera had selected. Still, it's a lot quicker to make blurry shots in A mode than to make them in M mode.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Nth 15 Dec 2012 15:23:25 3,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Defeats the purpose of buying an SLR in the first does it not?
    I mean Aperture Priority mode not Auto if that's what you thought I meant. Auto ISO can be a godsend too.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 00:39:55
    mal wrote:
    Not really. You still have the same IQ in A mode (as you have in full-on Auto mode, to be fair). You still have the control over the aperture and shutter speed. You just lose the ability to make massively under or over-exposed shots.

On the other hand, I have made a few massively blurry shots in A mode through forgetting I was still in low ISO and not paying attention to the shutter speed the camera had selected. Still, it's a lot quicker to make blurry shots in A mode than to make them in M mode.
    You're thinking of "P" mode.

Anyway, loving learning this stuff. I seem to have got into a habbit off trying my lowest ISO first, then f-stop with shutter speed dependant on what I want.

Really wanna shot some fast shutter speed video like the fighting scenes in gladiator but not worked out how to do that yet.
  • mal 16 Dec 2012 01:49:21 22,414 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AIUI on a Nikon DSLR at last, P and Auto modes are the same except Auto automates the flash control, and IIRC enables auto-ISO and disables exposure compensation - but I can't remember the last time I used either mode so I can't remember for sure.

P and Auto modes automate both the aperture and shutter speeds. A and T modes automate either the shutter speed or aperture based on your selected ISO, exposure compensation and selected aperture or shutter speed. M mode doesn't have exposure compensation, since it forces you to specify all the parameters, and won't auto-expose the scene for you. Want to over-expose by a third of a stop? Open up the aperture or slow down the shutter a third then.

Edit: No idea about video on a Nikon, as I'm still on old-school stills only kit here.

Edited by mal at 01:50:37 16-12-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 16 December 2012 02:04:04
    Yeah, not touched auto since I've had it - Impress myself getting low-light shots at 1600 ISO at max. Initially I thought aperture was solely for getting more light in like I would a projector, but its's massively important for depth of field and focus.

this is the best bit of kit I've bought for 15 odd years and I'm originally a graphic designer/IT man by trade
  • Nth 16 Dec 2012 07:12:48 3,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You'll probably find the video mode is very limited and won't do what you want it to.
  • Jeepers 4 Nov 2013 19:00:49 13,173 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New Nikon DF:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/04/image-the-nikon-df-what-do-you-think/

Kinda cute, probably very expensive.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next