Previous
  • boo 28 Sep 2011 22:37:52 11,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "I write, not because I can, but because I must!"
    Boo, Sept, 2011*

meme's handy page of links

NaNo Countdown clock

Come one, come all. November approaches apace, and with it comes NaNoWriMo 2011!. Returning writers will know all about it: a group of us took part, with varying degrees of success, last year, and you can read about our exploits, and indeed some of our stories, here. (See page 20 of the thread for a collection of links.)

For those of you who are thinking 'What's a NaNoWriMo?', here's an extract from the site:

"National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing on November 1. The goal is to write a 50,000 word, (approximately 175 page) novel by 11:59:59, November 30."

Full details, explanations, encouragement and how to register can be found at the NaNoWriMo link above.

Last year, a number of us found it useful (indeed, essential) to blog our output on a daily basis. It allows for almost instantaneous criticism and feedback from your fellow authors, but it also acts as the poky finger of poking, which keeps you writing when you can think of at least 500 things you'd rather be doing. You know there's a bunch of people out there waiting for your next installment. You don't want to disappoint them, and more to the point, if you don't come up with the goods...

...some of them know where you live!

For those that choose to blog, I'll put links into this first post to make them easier to find.

You may be thinking "50,000 words! I've never even written 5,000 words!"

Maybe you haven't.
    Yet...
    Time to put that right.

Join us!

The Blogs

Metaldog
    NaNo ID : MetalDog
    "Mars is fucking haunted."

4 Life are apparently still in business, and their ethics are apparently still in the gutter. In space, no-one can hear you being killed by the management...

Boo
    NaNo ID : BooTheWritingHamster
    "Chuck's back. And so is the jewel thief he caught ten years ago."

It would appear that before Chuck got into the detective business, he may have been in the housebreaking business.

Sunjumper
    NaNo ID : Sunjumper
    "A freelance agent struggles against all odds and opposition to stop a cabal of mad scientists from piercing the sky."

James Bond and Lara Croft had a daughter who was born into an alternate universe... And they chose John Constantine to be her godparent. Magic abounds in a daring escape...

localnotail
    NaNo ID : localnotail

It's the early 80's, and a young girl has just made a startling discovery about her family.

Metalfish
    NaNo ID :

Raymond E. Feist and HP Lovecraft had a kid, and they gave it a diet of Vodka and Rock 'n' Roll. Another Metalfish epic is born as a magic-slinging mofo with a fractured, walking atomic bomb set out to rescue their comrade from a nightmare infested hellhole.

meme
    NaNo ID : Grapesy
    "A train travels around a frozen Earth."

A man is exiled from 'the city', and is rescued by a group of strangers.

Rhythm
    NaNo ID : DJMorton

A couple of urban climbers are exploring some Victorian tunnels under Leeds when...

Blerk
    NaNo ID : Blerk

A chap looking for a new business premises, a new home and possibly a new life gets shown a place that might just fit the bill. But there's a foreboding sense of unease lingering...

TechnoHippy
    NaNo ID : TechnoHippy
    "The Cult of Me"

Genuinely creepy tale of a kid who grows up to discover that his head isn't wired like everybody else's. Fast forward twenty years and things are about to get bad.
    Very bad.

Carbon_Altered
    NaNo ID : Carbon Altered
    "Down on his luck middle-manager attempts to survive military conscription as mankind slowly destroys itself."

Jake, made redundant from his HR post is conscripted to the UK Border Force in a near-future Britain that readers of 'V For Vendetta' may find strangely familiar.

NanoCrystal
    NaNo ID : Nanocrystal

Our hero tried to come up with a wonder drug to cure cancer. And failed.
    Trouble is, the rest of his department think he has. But he put them straight, right?
    Right?
    This is not going to end well...

CosmicFuzz
    NaNo ID : Cosmic Fuzz
    "A man tries to solve the mystery of who massacred his family."

History and surrealism collide as a WW1 soldier wakes up with gaps in his memory.

The Fallen

Murbal

Binky

Stranded87
    NaNo ID : jrogerson

Atmospheric cyber-noir with a cold blooded killer being given an offer he can't refuse...

GrandpaUlrira
    NaNo ID : GullyFoyle

A strange little tale. Could be sci-fi. Could be fantasy. Could be Astronomer fan-fic. We must wait and see.

RichieTenenbaum
    NaNo ID :
    "Ghosts.

Aargh
    NaNo ID : dirtylake

MightyMouse
    NaNo ID : theMagnificentMouse

Starmagic
    NaNo ID :

fatboy996
    NaNo ID :

VandelayIndustries
    NaNo ID :

steve1979
    NaNo ID : steve_mchugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*I figure someone more erudite than me has probably already said this, or something very like it, but a swift Google search didn't turn anything up so I'm claiming it.

Edited by boo at 20:57:55 17-11-2011

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 28 September 2011 22:39:33
    I'll have another go this year then. Blog will be up at the weekend.
  • RichieTenenbaum 28 Sep 2011 22:39:59 2,187 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm going to write a story about a strange, single man
  • Deleted user 28 September 2011 22:41:37
    Your autobiography?
  • Deleted user 28 September 2011 22:41:48
    :D
  • boo 28 Sep 2011 22:41:58 11,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again.

Just Another Lego Blog

• RichieTenenbaum 28 Sep 2011 22:47:49 2,187 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This time I don't think I'll have him do much, though
  • MetalDog 28 Sep 2011 23:01:12 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be a frothing maniac by Nov 1st - so much unprecedented planning*, can't start writing yet, nng.
    I'll be posting it up here again.

*which will probably fuck me up somehow, you watch.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• CosmicFuzz 28 Sep 2011 23:06:00 23,771 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to try it too. Am quite excited.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• boo 28 Sep 2011 23:40:04 11,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Starmagic - another quote from the NaNo FAQ:

"Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. This approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down."

Believe me - you start off with the highest of standards, and the thought that you'll go back and tweak each line to perfection.

Then, after a few days, realisation dawns that you have to knock out nigh on 1700 words a day, every day!

Your standards become a lot more flexible at that point.

Nice to see CosmicFuzz on board too!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Kosmoz 28 Sep 2011 23:47:27 7,655 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So has anyone ever finished this and attempted to get their book published?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• CosmicFuzz 28 Sep 2011 23:49:10 23,771 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How do we get blogs up and running?

It's quite scary the thought of just retching a story up as fast as possible without really having time to stop and fine tune it. But that's probably the kick I need to help me get past the opening of all my stories. I find myself losing interest, some other idea has come to mid that I want to do instead. Sometimes I try and mix them and it always turns out shit.

Fingers crossed!

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• MetalDog 28 Sep 2011 23:53:39 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used blogspot - it was a doddle, which is good because I couldn't be arsed with it if it wasn't.

Sounds like Nano is just the tonic you need =)

• boo 28 Sep 2011 23:59:25 11,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another vote for Blogspot. Very simple. Once you've got an address, chuck it in here and I'll put it up on the first post.

Just Another Lego Blog

• sunjumper 29 Sep 2011 09:21:46 3,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm in and will use last years blog to... er... blog about it. Still not decided on the story though. I should maybe flip a coin or try to establish a background for both to see what works best.
  • MetalDog 29 Sep 2011 09:57:40 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    So has anyone ever finished this and attempted to get their book published?

Lots of people have - I gather agents fear December because they get flooded with submissions of largely un-edited novels =) Some people do the tedious aftercare and actually succeed in being published.

I think it's a mistake to write for the money though. If it comes, great - but odds are, even if you publish, you'll still need to hold down a day-job to cover the bills. Write for the love of it and anything else is gravy.

• nickthegun 29 Sep 2011 10:11:44 59,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarMagic wrote:

I've got this semi-horror/psychological story set in south france.

Our fear in provence.

You can take that one to the bank.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• sport 29 Sep 2011 10:17:34 12,677 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm getting a Switchblade Romance vibe here...
  • steve1979 29 Sep 2011 10:24:57 1,988 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hopefully I'll have finished the edits to my first book ready to publish in Jan, and so Nov should let me write the rest of book 2. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it works out.
  • localnotail 29 Sep 2011 14:01:54 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After admiring the efforts last year, and some nudging from MD this year, I started to allow myself to consider joining in this year. I have a few plotless characters in my head and characterless plots on the backs of envelopes.

I swapped the gender of one of my favourite head people yesterday morning, and they picked up one of the plots and ran with it a little way. So... I'm probably in for this year. Assuming I don't block up in terror at actually trying it.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• boo 29 Sep 2011 14:05:30 11,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/

Welcome localnotail - the more, the merrier!

Just Another Lego Blog

• MetalDog 29 Sep 2011 15:59:25 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What's the worst that could happen? I mean, sure, you could pass out while suffering from panic-induced hyperventilating and relentless vomiting, hitting your head on the way down, bleeding out on the carpet enough to lose all hope of getting your deposit back, having a near death experience that explodes your belief system and coming to, realising only then that after clicking 'publish' you left in twenty spelling mistakes a whistling plot hole a misnamed character and missing the most vital instance of the word 'not' in the entire novel - but you made your word count, so everyone cheers =)

• Murbal 29 Sep 2011 16:11:16 22,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm soooo tempted. In fact I might start planning something out when I'm away next week! \o/
  • Murbal 29 Sep 2011 16:15:43 22,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That said I haven't done any creative writing since about 1992.
  • localnotail 29 Sep 2011 16:15:58 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D Yeah, that kind of thing MD. Or I might just be shit at writing.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• LockeTribal 29 Sep 2011 16:18:28 4,510 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If November wasn't such a shitty month for me with work and exam prep. I'd love to try this. Maybe next year...

Look forward to reading all your collected babblings though :)
  • boo 29 Sep 2011 16:18:40 11,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /includes Murbal & local on this year's list

Too late to back out now! The above post counts as a commitment to write. Welcome to a month of prodding and poking.

Also, as an added incentive, if you give up part way through, Metaldog will eat you.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 105 First / Last

Previous