Laptop suitable for photography stuffs

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Mekanik 23 Sep 2011 16:23:18 3,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thought i`d post this in here as it seemed most relevant.

My folks want to replace their ageing laptop, primarily for one that my mum can use with her photography. She is by no means pro or anything but uses photoshop and CS5 (that right?).

Can anyone recommend something decent but not hideously expensive that may suit her needs? Probably circa 500 quids, or less if something suitable is available.

If it was for gaming i could help but i have no idea what is required from a pc/laptop when it comes to running photo editing softwares.

Thanks.
  • spindizzy 23 Sep 2011 16:50:57 6,542 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Powerful processor and lots of memory should do it I'd have thought?
  • monkman76 23 Sep 2011 16:51:31 4,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'm no expert on PCs, but Photoshop CS5 can use hardware acceleration if you've got a dedicated graphics card, so while they're less important than for gaming, it's still better to have one I guess.

My laptop is a Dell Studio, Core i3 with a Radeon 56-series card I think, 1440x900 17" screen, 8GB RAM, er, what other bits are there? It runs PS CS5 pretty well, no complaints. It only had 3GB until recently and tbh chucking 8GB in hasn't made that much difference, ie. 3GB was fine.

No idea if that helps :-/ You should be able to get something that runs CS5 nicely enough for 500 I would think.
  • Mekanik 24 Sep 2011 01:07:09 3,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks monkman. Just wasnt sure as to whether it could do with a good, as compared to an average, graphics card or not.

A decent processor and 4G min of memory is a given tbh. Perhaps i never worded my op well enough. Thas what i wanted to know is all.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2011 01:43:23
    MacBook Pro on finance, OSX is such a visual interface almost made for this shit and most don't notice 40 a month.

It also comes with everything you'd need to edit photos and films with a rather easy upgrade path to amateur/pro level.
  • monkman76 24 Sep 2011 07:34:02 4,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'm not going to wade into the Mac vs PC debate but buying stuff on finance is for mugs. Look where that's got the world :-P
  • Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 07:42:16 78,554 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can do it with a netbook.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dr-Strangelove 26 Sep 2011 12:06:39 2,132 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Well I'm not going to wade into the Mac vs PC debate but buying stuff on finance is for mugs. Look where that's got the world :-P
    Not if you can manage your finances correctly and pay the credit off diligently in its due course. Or are you saying that you are a mug who can't manage your own finances?

Failing that, get a 0% credit card and purchase it on there and pay off the balance before the 0% agreement runs out. The payments over 12 months may be more every month than over 36 months (for example) but at least you are not paying any interest.

As for your question, I'd have to agree with Crispy. While PCs run photoshop absolutely fine, for the sheer pleasure of using it I'd go with OSX.
  • Mekanik 26 Sep 2011 12:16:10 3,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers for the suggestions. I`ll let me mum know and it`ll be up to her.

I had heard mac`s were the way to go for photo editing things (amongst others) and as she isnt a gamer in any way i cant see any reason to not recommend a mac.
  • secombe 26 Sep 2011 20:37:55 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit of a wildcard..iPad? I edit Nikon D90 and Panasonic G3 (16mp) files on a iPad 1 quite comfortably with no noticeable slow-down.

Photogene and SnapSeed do everything I need from photo editing tools. I usually wait until I get home from a trip to sort/edit my photos on my PC but on my last week away I edited everything in the evenings on my iPad, everything was done by the time I got home.

The only time I use my PC is for motorsport event editing due to the volume I need to get through quickly with little processing (usually 700-1000 pics at a time), for any 'normal' day when I consider my editing a bit more in-depth I pick up the iPad.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next