Compulsory "cant drive" after a certain age?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • MrWonderstuff 22 Sep 2011 23:10:39 1,925 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just had a conversation with mates whose dad just knackered the car whilst it was parked. He's 80-something, deaf, didnt realise the car was in "park/drive" moved the gear stick to get to the cd player...car goes through fence and is not in a happy state.

Which led me to think that some people after say, 70, clearly are not good at driving but are never retested. Is this the elephant in the room? Do people not want to offend the wrinklies by saying "you really wouldn't pass your test judging how you drive"?

Bit tanked-up, hence the ramble, but is there a point here?
  • Red-Moose 22 Sep 2011 23:12:38 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plenty of people do that at the age of 20.
  • Mr-Brett 22 Sep 2011 23:16:20 12,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    ...moved the gear stick to get to the cd player...

Eh?

Portable view - Never forget.

• localnotail 22 Sep 2011 23:19:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Over 70s have to retest every 3 years don't they? Or am I going senile?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Psychotext 22 Sep 2011 23:20:01 53,940 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I think there should be a retest. Though I feel for the poor old sods who basically get trapped in the house because of it. :(
  • Bremenacht 22 Sep 2011 23:22:30 17,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Everyone should be forced to retest every 10 years. So many shit drivers.

Plus, the way we're taught to drive changes over the decades. Some of the better drivers I know are the ones who've passed their test within the past 5 years, whereas some of the biggest twats are middle-aged and think they know everything and have an Audi A6 or a 5-series to prove it.
  • Psychotext 22 Sep 2011 23:24:09 53,940 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Over 70s have to retest every 3 years don't they? Or am I going senile?
    The latter.
  • localnotail 22 Sep 2011 23:25:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah yes. Renew their licences every 3 years, not actually retest.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MetalDog 22 Sep 2011 23:28:20 23,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just ask people how good a driver they are. If they say they're above average, restest them, because they're probably shit.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• President_Weasel 22 Sep 2011 23:32:39 9,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    should probably be something like:

meet someone from the DVLA once you're 70 and every five years after, get a quick half hour assessment, assessor has the power to compel you to retest and/or provide a statement from your GP that you're fit to drive (with the GPs at risk of prosecution if they provide a line that turns out to have been clearly bullshit and the person they certified "fit to drive" kills someone.
  • neilka 22 Sep 2011 23:36:26 15,848 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Compulsory "Soylent Green" after a certain age

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Bremenacht 22 Sep 2011 23:37:04 17,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Just ask people how good a driver they are. If they say they're above average, restest them, because they're probably shit.
    I firmly believe I'd fail if I had to retest now. Both parts. If I knew I'd have to retest at some point within a couple of years, I'd be taking refresher lessons.
  • Megapocalypse 22 Sep 2011 23:38:13 5,385 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    This. Or even more often. So many shit drivers out there.
  • darrenb 22 Sep 2011 23:40:28 677 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i thought that you had to have your foot on the brake to move from park into drive>> well you have had to in every auto I have driven... So he must have known what he was doing so age doesnt count for stupidity.

Anyway as an old 38 year old that is also diabetic, i have to renew my licence every 3 years. so I think dvla would be quite strict on ability when it comes to renewal time.
  • AaronTurner 23 Sep 2011 01:21:29 7,683 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I passed my test a wee while back and I can't drive for shit.

Well, I can drive ok, I just have no idea what's going on around me.
  • X201 23 Sep 2011 06:35:21 15,268 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in favour of 10 year re-tests as well.
    The muppet who drives our fork-lift at work has to be re-tested every couple of years, yet you can pass a car test at 17 and never have your skill or lack off, tested ever again.

So what if you need it for "X", should take care of it and not be a knob end.

• Dirtbox 23 Sep 2011 07:01:10 77,701 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think that one you're 65 you should have annual reaction tests to see if you're able to make the right decisions quickly. There are drivers well into their 80s who are still good enough behind the wheel to avoid a situation, but the amount of times I've been carved up by a little old lady glaring out from under her steering wheel is beyond a joke.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• El_MUERkO 23 Sep 2011 07:05:27 16,975 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My grandfather is 85 and still driving, his hearing is crap but with his glasses on his eyes are good. He's a sensible old driver who doesn't drive at night, in a car with great visibility and good breaks who tootles along. An outright ban would be unfair to him and many others. He has to pass an eye exam each year to get his licence renewed.
  • Dirtbox 23 Sep 2011 07:08:10 77,701 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eye exam isn't enough. I don't think retests are much use either, no amount of tests can gauge experience, which IMO is a far better thing to have when driving. Pretty much all the good habits I had to adopt to pass my test flew out the window the minute I passed.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DodgyPast 23 Sep 2011 07:35:53 8,449 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Send them to jail if they drive when it's beyond their ability, since they're just as much of a cunt as someone who gets behind the wheel after drinking too much and deserve the same penalties.
  • Grunk 23 Sep 2011 08:44:19 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about proactively punishing people who drive badly.

I'm not talking about fines or bans, just stop them and waste their time for half an hour, whilst explaining what they did wrong.

I think a lot of folk, drive badly because they are desperate to get somewhere.inefficient road networks don't help though.
  • Ginger 23 Sep 2011 08:48:17 6,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Fuck yeah this

London open taekwondo champion

• Chopsen 23 Sep 2011 09:12:31 15,864 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am a crap driver, and I think retesting every so often would be a great idea. I did my motorcycle test over a decade after I did my driving test, and I was *such* a better driver as a result having to go through the process again of having to think about that sort of stuff again -lane discipline, other drivers, etc etc.
  • kalel 23 Sep 2011 09:15:01 86,960 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Which led me to think that some people after say, 70, clearly are not good at driving but are never retested.

Age is irrelevant. I believe a license should last 15 years and then you retake.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2011 09:19:30
    Age really isn't irrelevant, kalel. I've seen so many poor elder drivers. Last week I saw the slowest turn into a corner ever by a guy who must have been 70, totally unaware of the chaos he was creating around him.

My father keeps stopping at green lights. Er, dad, they're on Green.

• X201 23 Sep 2011 09:31:31 15,268 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fruit-Salad wrote:
    Age really isn't irrelevant, kalel. I've seen so many poor elder drivers. Last week I saw the slowest turn into a corner ever by a guy who must have been 70, totally unaware of the chaos he was creating around him.

Neither of those examples shows them being a danger to others. Which is more dangerous, a slow right turn, or the young twat who bollocks it down our narrow street thinking he's in NFS:Underground?

• kalel 23 Sep 2011 09:32:53 86,960 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm saying that this isn't about discriminating aginst old people. Everyone should be made to prove they are still safe to drive fairly regularly. It's not just old people who are poor drivers, and age shouldn't be the reason why they should have to prove themselves.
  • SaucyGeoff 23 Sep 2011 09:32:58 2,574 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Age is irrelevent, it's just that qualitites you need to be a good driver (eyesight, reactions, awareness, car control and confidence) are qualities that tend to deteriorate with age. A twenty year old who has none of these shouldn't be behind the wheel either.

Everyone should be face retesting, both the theory and practical sections. Hard to bring into force though, all kind of difficulties in telling someone who has been driving for years that they are no longer fit to drive.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2011 09:38:14
    X201 wrote:
    Fruit-Salad wrote:

Neither of those examples shows them being a danger to others. Which is more dangerous, a slow right turn, or the young twat who bollocks it down our narrow street thinking he's in NFS:Underground?

Good point. But imagine for a moment. That old slow turning corner guy delays your life by 20 seconds and then you're hit by a piece of space satellite the next day. That old guy killed you.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous