Don't you think people are too sensitive about spoilers these days?

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • JinTypeNoir 21 Sep 2011 08:24:43 4,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Checking around forums about people's impressions on the Resident Evil Revelations official trailer and I hear a lot of people, "Are there spoilers in that trailer?"

Considering the definition of a spoiler -- which I would consider to be knowing something about a story that you're not supposed before it happens and thus, spoiling the story -- isn't something official that the developers don't mind you seeing before the game even releases not qualify? The people making the story are trying to sell it to you. Isn't this a complicit admission that what you're watching won't spoil the experience?

What I find even more bizarre are really simple gameplay spoilers. I remember somebody's mood going stormy years ago when they found that Mario can use fire flowers in Mario Galaxy and considered it a spoiler. That strikes me as taking it waaay too far.

Furthermore, I can't help scratch my head at people who intentionally go on a media blackout about a game until it releases and then bitch about how it's not what they expected. Now really, considering the circumstances, they haven't a leg a stand on and yet it happens.

I really agree with what I once read in an essay by CS Lewis about suspense creating from not knowing what happens next. To paraphrase and hopefully not misrepresent the great Mr. Lewis, the second time around, when you know what going to happen next and delight in the full knowledge of the plot is superior to the first. Stories that are great by virtue of their unpredictably are not such great stories if they must depend on that. Not that a plot twist or unexpected turn or suspense itself is bad or it isn't fun to be taken by surprise, just that it is in a sense, not where the core quality of a story comes through.

I know a lot of people want to preserve a state where they go into a game "fresh" and they feel that the overabundance of information is making some game experiences lose that freshness, and I can see that point of view. I just think there's a fundamentally better way of appreciating a new story.

I knew just about everything I could find out about Chrono Trigger before I played it (long after it was released too) but it was still extremely fresh and fun. On the flipside, I wasn't followed White Knight Chronicles are whole lot before it came out and it still felt bland. A lot of people talk about artificial challenge, a concept which I don't think really exists. But I do wonder if avoiding any kind of story or gameplay information is an attempt at artificial freshness that doesn't really work.
  • RabidChild 21 Sep 2011 08:27:29 2,292 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I guess everyone's had something majorly spoiled for them at some point, which perhaps makes them overly cautious.
  • RedSparrows 21 Sep 2011 08:31:22 22,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Complaining about trailers is a bit daft.
  • JinTypeNoir 21 Sep 2011 08:32:52 4,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I knew before hand that

Floyd dies
    the Boss's final actions
    the nature and truth of Nameless One

but I really, really enjoyed all three of those game's stories AND the scene in particular had a great impact on me.

Now who will be brave enough to try and mouse over those spoilers? :p
  • RedSparrows 21 Sep 2011 08:34:16 22,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did! What we talking about anyway?
  • Big-Swiss 21 Sep 2011 08:35:22 8,079 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    some idiot on EG spoiled who the bad guy was in Heavy Rain, one day before release.

I still loved the game, but yes, I could have killed the guy who spoiled it!
  • spamdangled 21 Sep 2011 08:36:03 27,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A certain forumite who shall remain nameless got upset yesterday when I mentioned that Brumaks appear in Horde 2.0, claiming it was a spoiler.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• MrE26 21 Sep 2011 08:37:06 1,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they show far too much nowadays in the name of hype though. Look at Arkham City for example. It'd sell very well on the back of the original game alone, but they've released so much information about the game, i'd be surprised if there's anything left in there that we haven't already been shown.
  • spamdangled 21 Sep 2011 08:39:58 27,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Arkham City stuff doesn't bother me; fans of Batman would have been dying to know what villains appear in the game because a good Batman story relies on the villains. It's not like they released detailed information on the exact nature of how they fit into the plot or anything.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Genji 21 Sep 2011 08:40:03 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If your enjoyment of a film/game/book/whatever is irreparably ruined by the revealing of a spoiler, then I submit that it probably wasn't worth your time anyway. Things can (and should) still be great even if you know something about what's going to happen.
  • the_dudefather 21 Sep 2011 08:40:09 9,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On another forum, someone posted fake spoilers for Uncharted 2

There were certain points in the game when it was really close to happening, which in the end, made it more dramatic :)

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• CharlieStCloud 21 Sep 2011 08:41:35 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be honest, I will maybe watch a game trailer for something I like when E3 comes around but other than that, I mainly just patiently wait until the game (I like) comes out...

It is not difficult really however, in a heavily story focussed game, I would stay the holy-moley away from that particular game trailer(s) and threads on this place. It's common sense, hey?
  • spamdangled 21 Sep 2011 08:41:37 27,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    If your enjoyment of a film/game/book/whatever is irreparably ruined by the revealing of a spoiler, then I submit that it probably wasn't worth your time anyway. Things can (and should) still be great even if you know what is going to happen.

Very true.

The Godfather is still just as amazing the twentieth time you watch it as it was the first time.

The best games/films/books etc get better the more familiar you are with them, not worse.

• Deleted user 21 September 2011 08:44:18
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    some idiot on EG spoiled who the bad guy was in Heavy Rain, one day before release.

And we could have been treated to several different endings of you doing away with the offending Eurogamer person :D
  • Shikasama 21 Sep 2011 08:51:40 6,762 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    If your enjoyment of a film/game/book/whatever is irreparably ruined by the revealing of a spoiler, then I submit that it probably wasn't worth your time anyway. Things can (and should) still be great even if you know something about what's going to happen.

Exactly. I've read my favourite books hundreds of times, can repeat the scripts of my favourite films and coule tell exactly how many hours I've put into my favourite games through various replays.

Knowing what happens has never spoilt anything for me. If anything I quite like being 'in the know' and trying to piece together how the spoiler will happen based on the current situation.
  • FooAtari 21 Sep 2011 08:55:50 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's finding a balance I think.

On one hand there is so much news and media released for new games that if you read and watched it all you would have pretty much seen the game from start to finish without ever playing it.

I do get annoyed if I find out about major events in the story before I have got to them myself as this certainly ruins the surprise element.

So I watch a few select videos to get an idea of what a game is like and along with reading some previews and finally some reviews I decide weather I want the game or not.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 08:57:42
    Re-watching and re-reading things isn't the same as doing them for the first time knowing everything that happens.
  • Khosrau 21 Sep 2011 09:00:32 85 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Depends on the game really.

In a storydriven game with good characters I prefer to have nothing 'spoiled' beforehand, no matter how good the game is. I like to be surprised sometimes.

Sadly, most games have such uninspired, shallow story's and stereotyped onedimensional characters it's hardly an issue.

I agree a good game should have enough merit on it's own, but you can only play a game for the first time once - and the first playthrough is often the best. An engaging story with surprising plot twists can really add much to a game, especially the first playthrough. It's awesome to guess about what comes next and to be left in the dark about how the story will develop sometimes.

Still there aren't many games that do this right, thus I can only think of a few games spoilers would have mattered to me.
  • Peew971 21 Sep 2011 09:07:18 4,710 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    I would totally disagree with that. Some films are just ruined if you already know the ending (talking about 1st viewing, not rewatch). A few come to mind: Sixth Sense, The Usual Supspects, S7ven, Planet of the Apes, etc.
    Same goes with games: Bioshock, Heavy Rain for instance.
  • JinTypeNoir 21 Sep 2011 09:10:23 4,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I understand there are a lot of different ways people like to experience things, but I couldn't agree less with the idea that a story is best the first time. Like the Lewis essay I wrote about above, being able to appreciate a story for its various qualities without the benefit of suspense is to be able to really get a handle on how good it is.
  • craigy Staff 21 Sep 2011 09:11:06 7,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My rule is to assume the worst. If I don't want something to be spoiled I stay away from places where spoiling may occur, like comment threads, reviews, and other places of discussion. Seems sensible to me.
  • MrE26 21 Sep 2011 09:18:23 1,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Very true.

The Godfather is still just as amazing the twentieth time you watch it as it was the first time.

The best games/films/books etc get better the more familiar you are with them, not worse.
    I don't agree. Still amazing, yes. I love revisiting my favourite movies/games, but nothing beats that first viewing/playthrough for me.

Reminds me of my first viewing of Sixth Sense. Some utter cunt deliberately told me the ending just before i watched it, & while i thoroughly enjoyed the film, the impact that the reveal should & would have had just wasn't there because of the aforementioned massive cunt.
  • spamdangled 21 Sep 2011 09:19:59 27,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    My rule is to assume the worst. If I don't want something to be spoiled I stay away from places where spoiling may occur, like comment threads, reviews, and other places of discussion. Seems sensible to me.

Maybe Eurogamer could mark articles which contain spoilers with a red exclamation mark or something? Might appease people who then flood the comments complaining about them.

• Big-Swiss 21 Sep 2011 09:20:49 8,079 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dogme wrote:
    Big-Swiss wrote:

And we could have been treated to several different endings of you doing away with the offending Eurogamer person :D

but no matter what ending you get the bad guy (for us audience) is always the same guy.
  • JinTypeNoir 21 Sep 2011 09:23:59 4,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    Dogme wrote:
    Big-Swiss wrote:

but no matter what ending you get the bad guy (for us audience) is always the same guy.

Of course, because the bad guy is the person who created Heavy Rain in the first place.
  • Big-Swiss 21 Sep 2011 09:26:26 8,079 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    Dogme wrote:
    Big-Swiss wrote:

Of course, because the bad guy is the person who created Heavy Rain in the first place.

because in real life he murdered his wife?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Sep 2011 09:28:45 25,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone who says that if, before reading a book or watching a film/tv series for the first time, someone happened to mention that Main Character 1 dies at the end, they wouldn’t then be annoyed is either a) lying or b) a moron.

People who do that sort of thing give me the rage.
  • GuiltySpark 21 Sep 2011 09:41:35 6,369 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spoilers are baaaadddd mkay. Spoilers can ruin a story based game, like Heavy Rain or an RPG.

However, as said before I'm surprised at how many people are annoyed at websites spoiling the villians in Arkham City. The actual developer wants people to know what villians are in the game, it doesn't spoil the story, anyone who cares about spoilers, presumbly know Batman's rogue gallery and therefore should expect these villians to make an appearence, surely?

With a TV series, spoilers are unacceptable as they do ruin a show, imagine someone telling you the ending of Lost (shit as it was) or the finale of Dexter or Breaking Bad, it'd take the enjoyment out of every single cliffhanger because you'd know the endgame.

Still, be fucking reasonable. I've had many people bitching that saying "Good episode, but so so is an annoying character this episode", which in itself isn't what I'd consider a spoiler, and secondly, STAY OUT OF FUCKING THREADS IF YOU DON'T WANT THINGS SPOILED.

Get bent.

• HiddenAway 21 Sep 2011 09:42:15 14,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not too bad with gameplay mechanic spoilers. The one you mentioned must be a joke. I'd EXPECT fire flowers to be in a Mario game FFS :p

Story-related spoilers on the other hand, I can't agree with. If I had a major plot spoiler told to me and I hadn't reached that point yet, I will be annoyed. If I know something is going to happen, it doesn't feel as good as experiencing the twists and turns yourself. It's difficult to say if it actually makes a difference though because you'll only experience the story for the first time once.

That said, I did actually figure out what was happening in Xenoblade Chonicles at one point but I still managed to appreciate the way the story was being told. I take it that's what you're talking about?

In fact, Xenoblade takes spoiler care to a whole new level. Everything is spoiler tagged, from location names to character names to sidequests. Heck, I've even spoiler tagged the level caps and potential monsters that are over it :p

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous