Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where's vizzini?
  • FanBoysSuck 2 Nov 2012 21:57:07 1,482 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Where's vizzini?
    I heard he had to cancel his internet due to the costs of his massive data centre rental.

For the emperor!

• DFawkes 2 Nov 2012 21:59:05 22,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vizzini transmits his sound via infra-red. Can't get faster than light.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• RobTheBuilder 2 Nov 2012 22:13:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure others have said this but:

The difference between good cable and cheap cable is far bigger than the jump to great cable. But only ever pay in proportion to what your system costs...
  • elstoof 2 Nov 2012 22:21:33 7,337 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I scrunch up tin foil into a long sausage shape and run it from amp to speaker.
  • gammonbanter 3 Dec 2012 20:56:13 1,499 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I bought 50m of 42 strand cable for 20 from Screwfix. It's perfect (for me at least), it's does have a reasuring thickness and weight.

I also bought the cheapest amp lead I could - it's all the same in europe no cross over or whatever!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• Shikasama 4 Dec 2012 10:04:53 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    it's does have a reasuring thickness and weight.

Heard that before
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 10:40:26
    Just before you opened wide.
  • De4dCert 4 Dec 2012 12:04:04 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Apples stuff rules!

But no expensive cables are not worth it. Its like saying an HDMI cable that costs 1.50 is better than one that costs 80, they do the same job.

Where I post my DayZ Adventures

http://www.youtube.com/user/De4dCert

• nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 12:10:49 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not like that at all. Speaker cables carry an analogue signal which can degrade and the hdmi one carries a digital signal which cant.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Chopsen 4 Dec 2012 12:13:54 15,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes and no.

Paying a bit more is likely to give you better results than a massive roll of cable for a tenner from B&Q would. Rapidly get to the point of diminishing returns and then outright snake oil further up in price you go.

Nobody should pay more than a few quit for an HDMI cable, but that is a very different situation as you're not relying on it to faithfully carry an analogue signal.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 12:26:15
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its not like that at all. Speaker cables carry an analogue signal which can degrade and the hdmi one carries a digital signal which cant.
    And the degradation in signal in analogue isn't going to be noticed by a human unless the cable is very long.
  • gammonbanter 4 Dec 2012 22:19:17 1,499 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    And the degradation in signal in analogue isn't going to be noticed by a human unless the cable is very long.
    And nothing that if noticed couldn't be fixed by turning up the volume a tad!

I think it's all about strand count and amp rating. Maplin give you all the details on the cable they sell. RS and the like don't give you any measurable details.

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• skuzzbag 4 Dec 2012 23:10:25 5,639 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Not strictly true as any signal on a path can degrade over distance. How HDMI handles lost bits is important and bla bla bla bla bla boring bla
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next