Hybrid Controls Scheme / Game (Xbox Pad + Kinect)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • poolts 20 Sep 2011 19:52:34 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Full Walk-through Video

Highlights Video

Note: Put up two video links, so if you can't be bothered to watch the full 8 minute game, just watch the highlights video, which is just 1:50, to get the jist of the project.

Thought I'd post this project up (purely academic, i.e. non-commercial), I did for my masters degree, since I want as much feedback from the gaming community as possible. So if you think it's rubbish, think it's great, or anything in between, let me know. Would be good to get some feedback from some proper gamers, toward if this idea is good or not.

Sooo..... Let's get started. You control the game, one hand using the Kinect, to control your view and the other on the control pad to control movement. Right and left handed set-ups are supported. The player can reach forward to fire their gun (while aiming - i.e. pushing their hand in the direction they want to fire), open doors and pick-up objects. Crates can also be lifted and moved in order to solve puzzles.

The game's purpose really is to do a comparative study between the Xbox pad and this hybrid system. I understand that the Kinect's tag line is that you are the controller, but this was never a project posing that this system would replace anything (i.e. control pad or Kinect). It was basically to get an insight into how good the two work in unison (outside gimmicky mini-games, and more in mature genres, i.e. FPS's and RPG's).

The game was developed using the Unity engine and coded in C#. The game uses OpenNI and NITE, for interaction with the Kinect.

The game itself is a first-person shooter, which follows the (very loose) story of a prison guard on his routine patrol of a prison wing. When you find blood, eventually leading your slain partner. Realising that the inmates are on the loose, you have to solve various puzzles, and shoot your way of the prison wing, in order to survive.
  • Widge Moderator 20 Sep 2011 20:05:23 13,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting video. I think my question would be is what is the most responsive, accurate and intuitive method input to use. Kinect

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• coojam 20 Sep 2011 21:12:18 625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very interesting, something I'd contemplated myself. Personally, I would have taken the shooting mechanic out of it. Firing a gun by reaching forwards is going to be a hard sell and looks kind of goofy. However, object interaction where you reach out to pick things up, like with the boxes in the video, is far far better.

I wonder whether you could take a leaf out of Portal's book and look at using your unique input method in developing a game that might be first person but involves puzzles that you can only do with Kinect, losing traditional firearms altogether?
  • poolts 21 Sep 2011 12:39:07 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    coojam wrote:
    Very interesting, something I'd contemplated myself. Personally, I would have taken the shooting mechanic out of it. Firing a gun by reaching forwards is going to be a hard sell and looks kind of goofy. However, object interaction where you reach out to pick things up, like with the boxes in the video, is far far better.

I wonder whether you could take a leaf out of Portal's book and look at using your unique input method in developing a game that might be first person but involves puzzles that you can only do with Kinect, losing traditional firearms altogether?

Yeah, the firing with your hand was added last minute, and on retrospect a lot of people have said it would be easier just using the trigger button (which original did use) so I'll change that back.

Yeah, I like the idea of a pure puzzler, I'll now have to sit and think of a new innovative idea... Could be a while :D

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • poolts 22 Sep 2011 18:53:12 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Mouse and Keyboard

Ha I agree, but it wasn't trying to replace any type of control system. It was just a study exploring how well it would fare as it's own control system :)
  • poolts 26 Sep 2011 00:26:58 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Heh, forgot I made that little troll there

Ah completely fell for it!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next