Expo Queues

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Kentlad 20 Sep 2011 09:16:20 2 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone who has attended previous Expos would be able to shed some light on the queue situation? Appreciate no one knows for sure as we don't know numbers etc. just from what you guys have seen previously.

I am coming up on Saturday with my little lad, little worried about the queues, read posts similar to "4 hour queue to play Swtor", "3 hour+ queues for BF2" etc. from similar events.

Completely appreciate that queues are going to be inevitable, hell I have done my share queuing with the kids as a Disneyland / Alton towers vet. From what you guys have seen previously, is there likely to be many games that you can just walk up to and play, are the queues likely to be a drastic as above?

Also does the layout allow you to watch the games in action if you are not interested in queuing for the above. e.g walk up to and watch other play GW2, BF2 etc.

I am sure the event will be awesome none the less :-)

• MrTomFTW Moderator 20 Sep 2011 09:19:25 39,761 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well they've been promising a load of extra screens per game over previous years so that should lessen the queues with any luck. The big games are always going to have ricockulous queues though.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• THFourteen 20 Sep 2011 09:21:42 34,468 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But they also promised ONE MILLION onlive consoles to give away...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2011 09:22:58 10,861 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Common sense comes into play very often. The PR reps and volunteers will be steering people away from machines to keep the queues flowing.

Luckily, Rock Band 3 isn't there this year so there won't be any twats choosing to play Free Bird like last year. Yes, I still remember you arseholes...
  • Deleted user 20 September 2011 09:39:41
    Isn't the point of the EG Expo that they sell minimal tickets in order that it's easy for everyone to play everything? Certainly was the case when they did Leeds. Asides from the queue to get in the event was nicely spaced out
  • psychokitten Moderator 20 Sep 2011 10:16:55 7,794 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With most games you can walk up and watch the game being played, it's not like curtained separate areas where you get ushered in (though this can happen). The queues certainly wouldn't have been 3 hours on anything I've experienced

"NOOO DON'T PICK FREE BIRD!!! Oh God they picked Free bird :/"
  • smoothpete 20 Sep 2011 10:22:23 31,826 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's nothing like the crackle of a stun gun to get those bastards to stop hogging the pads. And if they don't move, POW, 50,000 volts to the back of the neck.
  • THFourteen 20 Sep 2011 10:25:52 34,468 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Isn't the point of the EG Expo that they sell minimal tickets in order that it's easy for everyone to play everything? Certainly was the case when they did Leeds. Asides from the queue to get in the event was nicely spaced out

lol

people don't live in LEEDS.

/laaandan cunt
  • mrpon 20 Sep 2011 10:27:47 29,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sophistication? Sophistication?!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 20 September 2011 10:57:34
    mrpon wrote:

:-D
  • superted1974 20 Sep 2011 10:58:17 214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't talk to me about sophistication. I've been to Leeds
    :-)
  • Deleted user 20 September 2011 14:19:59
    psychokitten wrote:
    With most games you can walk up and watch the game being played, it's not like curtained separate areas where you get ushered in (though this can happen). The queues certainly wouldn't have been 3 hours on anything I've experienced

"NOOO DON'T PICK FREE BIRD!!! Oh God they picked Free bird :/"

I didn't see anybody pick Free Bird, but a group of kids did play Bohemian Rhapsody which is long enough :D
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2011 14:21:22 10,861 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Everyone can enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody though. Free Bird is so self-obsessed. These guys knew exactly what they were doing, especially when us along with everyone else waiting starting heckling :p
  • Deleted user 20 September 2011 14:38:03
    I've been to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert and heard a super long version of Free Bird, so 5 kids on an XBox 360 game wouldn't cut it for me :D

Howabout a version of Rockband devoted entirely to Free Bird. You could have a jam session option which would allow you to make the solos at the end last as long as you like. Oh god the agony :p
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 20 Sep 2011 14:42:38 4,647 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Queues are inevitable but we'll do what we can to keep them to a minimum. We have the most consoles and PCs we've ever had and more as a proportion to attendees, if you see what I mean. More so than Leeds.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• L_Franko Moderator 20 Sep 2011 14:45:27 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I keep reading this thread title as Expo Queens.
  • Deleted user 20 September 2011 14:52:04
    Expo Queen = Ellie of course :D
  • mongbatstar 22 Sep 2011 18:30:50 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How were the queues today? As bad as Gamefest? :(
  • Deleted user 22 September 2011 18:56:34
    They didn't look too bad on individual games, ONLIVE has a rather large queue, this is all based on the one shot I saw of the expo on Sky News though.
  • Dougs 22 Sep 2011 19:01:01 69,499 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Eat White Bread. With nowt teken out.
  • mongbatstar 22 Sep 2011 19:26:34 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fruit-Salad wrote:
    They didn't look too bad on individual games, ONLIVE has a rather large queue, this is all based on the one shot I saw of the expo on Sky News though.

Was that before midday? I'd reckon most people were still in the queue at that time ( ? )
  • Deleted user 22 September 2011 19:27:45
    mongbatstar wrote:
    Fruit-Salad wrote:

Was that before midday? I'd reckon most people were still in the queue at that time ( ? )

12:50 pm
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Sep 2011 19:48:01 10,861 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The games attracting the longest queues were Battlefield 3, CoD MW3, Star Wars The Old Republic and Batman Arkham City. At peak times, you may have had to queue for 30 mins to an hour at a guess.

Other games may have had a 5 to 10 min wait.

All in all, today wasn't too bad for queuing. Saturday will be the real test.

Oh, and OnLive queues were phenomenal for a free 60 box that probably won't work properly for most people. Best to avoid and focus on enjoying the games.
  • prawnking1980 22 Sep 2011 19:49:35 5,193 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love Freebird.

Not on RB though.

/curses stupid solo
  • Anthony_UK 22 Sep 2011 19:51:05 2,550 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went to Gamefest on the Friday and other than the big names like MW3 and Battlefield which had stupidly large waiting times you weren't waiting behind more than one person on most games. The exceptions being Rage due IMO the impressive looking swag bag and Batman which had a mighty 3 screens!!! :/
  • gooner77 24 Sep 2011 17:32:56 898 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    the only game we queued up for was batman Arkham city. the queues for skyrim and mw3 were so long we didn't bother. otherwise we walked straight on for all the other games.

battlefield 3
    sonic generations
    ninja gaiden 3
    rage
    saints row 3
    ace combat ah
    ff13-2
    uncharted 3
    halo anniversary
  • Deleted user 24 September 2011 17:43:18
    The very first game I played on Thursday (Rage) was the game I most wanted to play and I just walked right in, and they let me play on the biggest screen. MW3 took quite a while to queue up for but it wasn't that bad. Queued up a long time for Arkham Asylum, but they were giving away free stuff to people and it was actually a good laugh. The Battlefield 3 queue took ages to move and I did think about leaving, but stuck with it, and glad I did as we were only supposed to play for 15 minutes but I got a second go :) I will be queueing for **** all tomorrow, as it's a Sunday and would seem wrong somehow to queue up on such a sedate day :)
  • wuggawoo 24 Sep 2011 19:49:11 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I enjoyed today, but I didnt get to play CS:GO, COD or Battlefield. Simply way to busy.

It did leave Assasin Creed and Rage free though.

Gutted about the lack of machines for CS:GO :(
  • THFourteen 24 Sep 2011 19:52:58 34,468 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you watch people play the busy games at least
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous