The most disappointing game sequels Page 14

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• yegon 22 Jun 2013 16:42:23 5,334 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think there's too many people that absolutely loved ME2, myself included, to suggest that there was some great conspiracy surrounding its high scores. There's plenty of very high profile, high scoring, (almost) universally loved games that I flat do not like. I don't assume brown envelopes, taste innit'.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Jun 2013 16:48:49 38,704 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As my mum always told me "One man's meat is another man's poison".

Good saying, and doubles up as gay innuendo for those of you with a mental age of 14.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 22 June 2013 16:50:16
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    As my mum always told me "Get out".
  • Syrette 22 Jun 2013 17:27:47 43,771 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hear he's part of the donkey masses too, DarkSpace.

• convercide 22 Jun 2013 17:29:10 6,091 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Good saying, and doubles up as gay innuendo for those of you with a mental age of 14.
    For a mod you act like a child yourself.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Syrette 22 Jun 2013 17:32:54 43,771 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Graveland wrote: I have a theory about why it was spit-roasted with so many 10/10 reviews: Microsoft needed a game to counter the behemoth that was Uncharted 2. Whilst PS3 users could sing the praises of Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2 could act as a stick for Xbox fan-boys to bash PS3 users with. There's absolutely no other reason as to why ME2 could have been awarded such high praise. It's a step back in almost every single way.
    Or you know, some people actually liked it. Mass Effect 2 is the pinnacle of the series imo (shit ending not withstanding), with a far better story than the third game and far better gameplay than the first.
    Agreed. You've quoted possibly the most stupid theory I've ever come across.

Also, to whoever said that removing the Mako was "absolutely retarded" - were you blissfully unaware of how many people disliked it? It was never looked upon favourably and many impressions at the time criticised it. I dreaded every section involving it.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Jun 2013 17:47:13 38,704 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

For a mod you act like a child yourself.
    SHOTS FIRED!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• JohnnyIsTruant 22 Jun 2013 18:40:47 57 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Final Fantasy VIII and Halo 2. Both games I slavered over every bit of release detail, then when they arrived they were just a bit shit. Bioshock 2 as well actually though strangely it seems to have aged a little better than the first while the first remains the better game.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 19:04:34 17,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ME2s opening was pretty ace, it's probably the highlight of the game.

You are a factory of sadness.

• CharlieStCloud 22 Jun 2013 19:20:37 5,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JohnnyIsTruant wrote:
    BioShock 2 as well actually though strangely it seems to have aged a little better than the first while the first remains the better game.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

The original is a superb game and was an unforgettable experience however, between the two, I would gladly choose to play though the sequel (again) instead because the mechanics of the game is better, especially the combat.

... heck, I'd rather play through Minerva's Den more than both of them to be honest!
  • jellyBelly 22 Jun 2013 19:36:39 428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That Nights sequel on Wii...

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• welshben23 22 Jun 2013 19:44:28 1,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I can't work out why I enjoyed Crackdown 2 so much less than the original. They were the same game almost but the first one was shit and the second was shitter
    Fixed it for you. :)
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Jun 2013 20:04:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @welshben23 nah, the first game was great. It's dated a bit but it was a lot of fun.
  • yegon 22 Jun 2013 20:39:03 5,334 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First Crackdown was great, it was probably amongst the first open world games that didn't horribly gimp your abilities until 70% into the game, a mantle since taken up by Saints Row, Infamous 2 etc. I bet it's aged horribly now though, eek.

Edited by yegon at 20:40:04 22-06-2013
  • Jacksie66 22 Jun 2013 20:41:06 574 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My second girlfriend. What a disappointing frigid auld yolk..
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Jun 2013 21:04:10 4,343 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Loved it too! Weakest in the trilogy for me, but still a 9/10 game.

The shoot out in the boatyard and the escape from the ship are two of my favourite sections in the entire series too.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 21:04:27 22-06-2013
  • Triggerhappytel 22 Jun 2013 21:23:26 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alundra 2 - fucking dire, different developer and nothing in common with the original aside from its name

Soul Reaver 2 - while one of the strengths of the first game was its open world gothic Zelda feel, this one was too linear, had far too much emphasis on combat and the plot was a confusing mess

Red Faction 2 - I loved the feel of the first game; it had broad and interesting level design and felt like a journey, but this was a series of small unimaginative levels rife with clichés and bad design decisions (for instance, spending 5 minutes waiting on a dock sniping enemies before your ride shows up)

Halo 2 - I hated that it felt like the campaign had been sidelined in favour of putting all their efforts into the multiplayer. I hated the changes brought to the game which again felt like it was simply for the benefit of online. I hated that they tried to tell the story from the Covenant perspective when we didn't even know anything about the human side

Trine 2 - I was looking forward to this for so long, but I found the finished product just lacked any compelling reasons for me to keep playing. Some of the puzzles were fucking stupid, and it didn't really bring anything to the table in gameplay terms that the first game hadn't already
  • QotSAfan 22 Jun 2013 23:22:22 1,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I enjoyed it but it just can't hold a candle to one of my favourite games of all time. It is hard to improve upon near perfection. No matter what they did, I think I would have been disappointed.
  • Rodney 23 Jun 2013 01:21:20 1,914 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Mako was a good idea poorly executed but it gave the game much more of an explorative feel.

the planets felt like actual places in ME. There was one with binary white dwarf stars low in the horizon, another one had meteorites falling from the sky, and seeing the earth from the moon was fairly memorable. It really sparked my imagination.

In Mass Effect 2 the planets felt like video game levels and were all corridors or arenas and very few alien planet vistas.

I can appreciate Mass Effect was probably the better game by most objective measures but I just wasn't feeling it.

is it worth me giving ME3 a go?

Edited by Rodney at 01:21:55 23-06-2013
  • Mola_Ram 23 Jun 2013 05:08:13 7,691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The mako sections could have been great. But as it was there was almost nothing of interest, on any of the planets. Maybe you get some minerals that don't do anything, find a crashed shuttle that doesn't do anything, find a base identical to the last 5 you visited, with nothing inside except a few enemies and a weapon upgrade that you already have a dozen of. It felt like padding.

Great if those sections sparked people's imaginations. But I found them very dull. Good idea, not so good execution.

Planet scanning for minerals in the second game was pretty dull too, but at least there the minerals had a purpose.
  • Rodney 23 Jun 2013 06:27:18 1,914 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like Crackdown, Fable 3 was a sequel which really offered more of the same yet was not as good as its predecessor.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Jun 2013 10:40:59 17,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck I think the first one is the worst as it is so combat heavy, the story and certain elements were fun but every time I turned a corner it was to shoot some poor henchman.

• FuzzyDuck 23 Jun 2013 13:08:56 4,343 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Hmm, been a long time since I played it! I did despise the way the pirate lads were albe to casually sway out of the path of your gunfire!
  • SolidSCB 23 Jun 2013 13:17:12 6,917 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel Cracking shout on Red Faction 2. The first is one of my favourite games of all-time and has the best campaign of any FPS I've ever played. The sequel, well, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking quite frankly. I always think the RF franchise could have been one of the biggest in the industry if they'd have built on what they had with the first game. As it is, it is a series with the biggest crisis of identity in gaming.
  • Rhaegyr 23 Jun 2013 13:19:47 2,285 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tomb Raider

Push the analogue stick forward and watch the game play itself half the time.

Also - no tombs.
  • Humperfunk 23 Jun 2013 17:35:18 2,289 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Assassin's Creed III

Just spent twenty minutes trying to sync a viewpoint, but wrestling against the controls when trying to climb a tree (i.e. one of the new main features the game boasted) before giving up.

About eight hours in now and common sense is telling me to pack it in because it's pretty appalling (especially considering how good ACII was), and usually I don't give games that fuck me off the time of day but going to try and get to the end, just so I can say I've done it and then it will never darken my doorstep again.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Mr_Sleep 23 Jun 2013 17:48:28 17,184 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Assassin's Creed III

Just spent twenty minutes trying to sync a viewpoint, but wrestling against the controls when trying to climb a tree (i.e. one of the new main features the game boasted) before giving up.
    Ah yes, I had completely forgotten about the trees. It's the same tree every time with the same annoying bit that seems like a glitch.

• Page

of 15 First / Last