Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cannon Fodder 2.

Also Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Jun 2013 22:26:59 4,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

I really should finish it at some point but I got to a point where there was some binary choices I had to make and I got a bit irritated by it and I still haven't gone back to it. Not sure I ever will. Considering I loved the first one it really hits home to me how much they misstepped. I've played the second one a couple of times too yet I can't even bring myself to finish the third. I still don't know what the controversy was about the ending as I've managed to avoid all spoilers!
    I was actually glad that I watched the endings on Youtube before playing through myself, to spare me the disappointment. I played through it once, recently I started another comeplete playthrough (ME1-3) with a Femshep I really liked and cared about, but just couldn't make it through ME3 because it was just so painfully cheesy.

I think I completed ME1 about five times, ME2 three times, and ME3 once.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:28:33 21-06-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Jun 2013 22:36:13 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's the thing, all the speeches in ME2 were bad but they seemed to ramp it all up and it just got a bit tiring. When I have a proper lull I will get it finished...maybe.

You are a factory of sadness.

• QotSAfan 22 Jun 2013 03:20:58 1,768 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Killzone 3. After the brilliance of the second game, the whole Call of Duty touch up applied to the sequel was terrible. Hopefully Shadow Fall gets back to the nitty gritty diary of the runt format.

Uncharted 3, purely for those psychedelic sections. Oh, and the ultimate anti-climax of the ending.

Mass Effect 3. Lets just say, thank god for Mordin because the rest of the game threw away every piece of character development from the previous two games in order to shoe horn in the terrible space opera plot of the Reapers. It also felt half baked. As if they were rushed through development in order to meet a financial quarter and made save the other bits of the game for DLC in order to boost the revenue of a giant but ailing publisher.

Far Cry 3. I enjoyed it but not a patch on 2 which is still one of my favourite FPS games ever. It also had an ultimately pointless open world, would have been better as a more linear driven stealth game.

Halo 3. I can't remember a single thing about this.

Fallout: New Vegas. Loading screens everywhere on the strip and overall, didn't have half of the character as 3. Bar Yes Man. I love Yes Man.
  • Raiko101 22 Jun 2013 05:22:05 6,723 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @el_pollo_diablo I really liked Warrior Within. I wasn't a big fan of the gothic visuals, but I enjoyed it more than the first and so much more than the third. The combat system was much more interesting and although there weren't nearly as many puzzles, it was still enjoyable to play through.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• dominalien 22 Jun 2013 06:55:07 7,071 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    @el_pollo_diablo I really liked Warrior Within. I wasn't a big fan of the gothic visuals, but I enjoyed it more than the first and so much more than the third. The combat system was much more interesting and although there weren't nearly as many puzzles, it was still enjoyable to play through.
    WW is great, but I think as a sequel it's as disappointing as they come. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• elstoof 22 Jun 2013 07:40:52 8,325 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goonies 2.
  • jonsaan 22 Jun 2013 08:04:50 25,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The way of the exploding fist 2 was a massive bummer.

FCUTA!

• Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 08:57:14 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    Uncharted 3, purely for those psychedelic sections. Oh, and the ultimate anti-climax of the ending.
    I swear I'm starting to think I'm the only person who really enjoyed Uncharted 3.

• Deleted user 22 June 2013 09:05:01
    Metal Gear Solid 2.
    WTF Raiden? Really?
  • TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 09:57:34 3,468 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The latest Hitman game. Picked it up for a tenner thinking for that price it couldn't be as bad as the word on the street.

A couple of levels in I just couldn't care less any more. IO are fucked if they think their future is more games like this. No wonder they canned everything except Hitman, they're probably in real trouble.

:(

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:01:23 3,468 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also I liked all the ME games and thought each consecutive one was better than the one before. I really hope this makes a lot of you tear your hair out, because to be honest I think you're all really over-thinking the entire series.

• FuzzyDuck 22 Jun 2013 10:20:51 4,972 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

To be fair, I'm trying to play the original Mass Effect on the Xbox at the minute (I've played through 2 and 3 on PS3 and started 3 on the Xbox) and it's just piss.

I don't care if it has the best story in the series, it plays like absolute rubbish and controls like a dog. So in terms of my enjoyment with the series it's ME3 > ME2 > ME1.
  • Rodney 22 Jun 2013 10:51:28 1,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just played through Mass Effect recently and loved it. It hasn't ager that well technically but the story is genuinely good.

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 at the moment for the first time and I'm really struggling. Its just a bit shit. There is no storyline. The dialogue and writing is much worse than the original. And because the RPG mechanics have been stripped out my character feels no more powerful now than when I started. And I chose a biotic character so I've spent most of the game using this piss weak little pistol.

The game is much worse than the original. Didn't it get 10/10 on here?
  • convercide 22 Jun 2013 11:02:32 6,210 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Crackdown 2 as it was less of the same.

F.E.A.R. 2 and 3 as they weren't anywhere near as good as the first. Gunplay felt off and the graphics were grainy and weak.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. Lost all the magic of 2017. Grey and dull.

Sonic 4 Episode II. I liked the first, it was a step in the right direction. Episode II was a leap backwards off a cliff.

Street Of Rage 3. Americans and Europeans got shafted with this release.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• DUFFMAN5 22 Jun 2013 11:13:39 15,433 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gears:Judgment. I still enjoy it, but overall it is not really fit to lick Gears 3's boots

Cackdown 2 The first game is excellent in every way. The second is almost shite...in every way

Resi 5 I was not a massive "best game ever" lover of RE4 (I know most on EG love it) although I have completed it on 2 diff consoles and on 3 occasions. However 5 just went too action for me. I'm very old school in my Resi Love, RE2 still to this day being in my top 5 games ever played.
    I Think the first 4 games are head and shouldes above the other RE games, although I would replace RE with REmake as that is simply an amazing job on an update.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• FuzzyDuck 22 Jun 2013 11:36:57 4,972 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    Street Of Rage 3. Americans and Europeans got shafted with this release.
    My word, how did I forget about this?

SoR2 is in my top 5 games of all time, it was the first game I ever cleared, and by this point I've probably played through it a few hundred times. SoR3 I couldn't finish once, everything was a few steps backwards.

While we're in 16-bit territory, Urban Strike springs to mind. Not a bad game as such, but coming after the sublime Jungle Strike it felt pointless.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 11:37:30 22-06-2013
  • Rodney 22 Jun 2013 11:59:25 1,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't work out why I enjoyed Crackdown 2 so much less than the original. They were the same game almost but the first one was great and the second was shit
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 12:06:43 17,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I can't work out why I enjoyed Crackdown 2 so much less than the original. They were the same game almost but the first one was great and the second was shit
    I'm the same, I borrowed it off a mate, played it for about an hour and never played it again. Very odd as they tightened up the movement a lot and I loves me them orbs but I just couldn't find any interest in the second one.

• convercide 22 Jun 2013 12:33:44 6,210 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well it lost the morphing cars and was exactly the same city. I know it isn't Ruffian's fault as they only had 8-9 months to make it but it was clearly rushed. It felt more like DLC than a fully fledged game.

Also the generic masked agents didn't help matters.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Mola_Ram 22 Jun 2013 12:36:52 8,338 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For me, Power Stone 2.

Well, maybe not the most disappointing, but up there. It was a completely different game to the first. Making it 4-player didn't really work for me.
  • TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 12:54:14 3,468 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @TarickStonefire

To be fair, I'm trying to play the original Mass Effect on the Xbox at the minute (I've played through 2 and 3 on PS3 and started 3 on the Xbox) and it's just piss.

I don't care if it has the best story in the series, it plays like absolute rubbish and controls like a dog. So in terms of my enjoyment with the series it's ME3 > ME2 > ME1.
    Yeah I agree, they got better for me too. I mostly enjoyed the first one but what killed it for me at first was the slog in traipsing around the identikit locations, as well as the mostly fruitless trekking around in the Mako. I didn't miss its absence in the subsequent games at all. The lifts were also a bit tedious. But once I buckled down and started tearing through the story I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the sequels more though.

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 12:59:09 3,468 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rodney wrote:Add to this the absolutely retarded decision of removing the Mako and you're left with a very hollow experience.
    This just goes to show everybody's different - I was soooo glad the Mako was gone in ME2, it was one of the reasons I got so bored in ME1 that I gave up on it for six months a few hours in. It felt to me like mostly pointless trekking around empty planets for very little else than collectables. Borrrrriiiiiiing!

I know it played a part in some parts of the story missions, and it was fun shooting stuff with it but mostly it felt like underused for that and overused for collectables.

So I suppose it would have been nice to have vehicles in the sequels but based on ME1 I didn't miss it.

It's a step back in almost every single way.
    Again, I felt it was a step forward in terms of almost everything that put me off in ME1. Everybody's different.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:01:50 22-06-2013

• Darth_Flibble 22 Jun 2013 13:00:58 1,783 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resi 5 - they took the worst and tired bits from 4 and shat out 5. Resi 6 is even worse than 5. Chris' campaign is the worst piece of shit ever seen in a a res evil game

PoP: Warrior within - They took all the charm and personality of SoT and made this really gross game without a shread charm or personality . Horrible dull levels, enemies spouting cringing dialogue (like the s&M cannon fodder women) The main enemy woman in the black outfit/bikini. Really shit music. Very buggy. I bet the game was focus grouped to death

Dragon Age 2: I know it was rushed out by the publisher and it shows. Levels and character models heavily recycled, decisions mean fuck all, crappy wave based combat. Hopefully DA3 is a true sequel

Mass effect 2 and 3: Both games had some good parts but its like EA stuck their fat paws all over it hoping for a "call of duty" killer by aiming at the game who just want to shoot people (aka the "Bro gamer"
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Jun 2013 13:34:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Impossamole - dull, made to look ancient by the console games of the time.
  • yegon 22 Jun 2013 15:05:44 5,416 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Approach it as a cyberpunk game with a cheesy title, like Neuro City 2080 or something, and it's actually a reasonably good game.

As a sequel to DE1, meh meh meh. Didn't help that, at the time, it ran like a dog on pc's that were running far more intensive games a lot smoother.

Really enjoyed Human Revolution. The story and cohesiveness didn't come close, and it didn't have nearly the same effect on me as DE1, but that's largely because so many games since have appropriated DE1's explore/get xp/upgrade abilities template. One thing I really didn't like about HR was that you could easily max out virtually every useful ability in one playthrough, whereas DE1 was brilliantly replayable min maxing different skill trees.

Also, Halo 2, eesh.

Edited by yegon at 15:06:53 22-06-2013
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jun 2013 15:11:43 8,338 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @TarickStonefire Just so you don't feel so lonely, I completely agree with you regarding ME. Apart from a couple of things (the ending, the exploration of more open spaces like the Citadel) the sequels were better than the first game in almost every way that mattered.

Different strokes for different folks of course, but I for one cannot understand why the sequels aren't loved much more than they are.
  • elstoof 22 Jun 2013 15:44:41 8,325 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

SoR2 is in my top 5 games of all time, it was the first game I ever cleared
    Surely you mean you clocked it bruv.
  • Stranded87 22 Jun 2013 16:15:16 1,009 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graveland wrote: I have a theory about why it was spit-roasted with so many 10/10 reviews: Microsoft needed a game to counter the behemoth that was Uncharted 2. Whilst PS3 users could sing the praises of Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2 could act as a stick for Xbox fan-boys to bash PS3 users with. There's absolutely no other reason as to why ME2 could have been awarded such high praise. It's a step back in almost every single way.
    Or you know, some people actually liked it. Mass Effect 2 is the pinnacle of the series imo (shit ending not withstanding), with a far better story than the third game and far better gameplay than the first. No arguments about how good Uncharted 2 was, though it had a similarly shit ending.

Most disappointing sequels for me:

Uncharted 3- The story and writing on the whole were a mess and the set pieces weren't as good as in Uncharted 2.

Dragon Age 2- I don't think that needs elaborating.

Gears of War 3- Bland and annoying.

CoD: Modern Warfare 2- I've never been a fan of the series, but I did actually really enjoy the first MW. MW 2 though really made it feel like the first MW was just blind luck.

Struggling to think of any disappointing sequels from previous gens, I'm sure there were some but I guess there were less sequels in general so less to choose from.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last