The most disappointing game sequels Page 12

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Mageme 18 Jun 2013 16:05:18 2,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going with Alundra 2. I was really expecting something as special as the first but remember it being a massive letdown.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Deckard1 18 Jun 2013 16:10:27 27,773 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dead Space 2

Not a bad game really, just not the game I wanted and the beginning of the end for the franchise.

Hush you ponce

• kinky_mong 18 Jun 2013 16:14:08 10,170 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Darksiders 2

Crackdown 2

Every Zelda from Twilight Princess onwards, both console and handheld.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Shikasama 18 Jun 2013 16:15:12 6,762 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Final Fantasy X-2 by fucking far
  • Dr_Mech 18 Jun 2013 16:17:16 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    O/T

You know what they need to remake properly? Spy vs Spy.

I understand there was a version on Xbox that I completely missed but that could be completely epic with massive online gaming these days.
    You're not missing much with the XBox version, file that under disappointing game sequels, it was SHITE.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Jun 2013 16:50:51 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Dead Space 2

Not a bad game really, just not the game I wanted and the beginning of the end for the franchise.
    No-blooming-way!

... I'd gladly accept if you believe Dead Space 3 was the end of the franchise though.

I cannot believe I paid 39.99 on day one for that. The DLC story add-on is genuinely insulting; ninety minutes of PEW, PEW, PEW whilst traversing around exactly the same areas as the main campaign with very little environmental changes. The 'twist' was a tremendously huge cop-out too.
  • sanctusmortis 18 Jun 2013 16:53:00 9,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fable 3. They destroyed everything they got right in 2. Just a terrible end to the series so far. The stupid Kinect-esque binary responses, an awful plot, rubbish character development... it felt like they just took a DLC idea and fleshed it out, whereas Fable 2 truly felt like a real sequel.
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Jun 2013 16:57:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Burnout Revenge. Took a brilliant series and introduced a new mechanic that didn't really work.
  • King_Edward 18 Jun 2013 17:00:38 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zelda 2
  • ronuds 18 Jun 2013 17:12:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Fable 3. They destroyed everything they got right in 2. Just a terrible end to the series so far. The stupid Kinect-esque binary responses, an awful plot, rubbish character development... it felt like they just took a DLC idea and fleshed it out, whereas Fable 2 truly felt like a real sequel.
    I would agree, but for different reasons.
  • elhozzo 18 Jun 2013 17:23:49 309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pixeljunk shooter 2 ...

loads of downloadable 'store' games ... Joe Danger 2, Trine 2 ...

The Assassins Creeds, Bioshocks, God of Wars ... so many unneccessary sequels .. fantastic new experiences blunted by 'more of the sames'
    so many unique experiences available, if the sequel feels too similar, it feels like time wasted that could be spent on something new

Edited by elhozzo at 17:29:36 18-06-2013
  • MiniAmin 18 Jun 2013 18:32:31 3,393 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sooooooul Calibuuuur...

Threeeeeeee!
  • Maturin 18 Jun 2013 19:13:36 2,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Test Drive Unlimited 2.

The first game was amazing. The second one was rubbish. Such a shame.

Hopefully the next game - The Crew - will bring back good memories of the first game.
  • Dr_Mech 18 Jun 2013 21:54:52 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Far Cry 2.

And, initially, Dark Souls. I learned to love it in the end, but my initial feeling was of crushing disappointment when comparing it to the superlative Demon's Souls.
    One thing I have noticed is that whichever souls game you play first seems to be your favorite. Sadly lacking a PS3 I never played Demon's Souls but I will admit from what I've seen it had better atmosphere than Dark Souls (Tower of Latria anyone?) and the upgrade system was more interesting but I much prefer the open worldy nature, lack of equipment burden and the unisex armour sets of Dark Souls to the level hub of Demon's Souls.
  • dsmx 18 Jun 2013 22:04:50 7,589 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Far Cry 2 and 3 because they both aren't sequels to the first game and even the 3rd game is a tenuous sequel to the second game. There are as a much a sequel to each other as saints row is to GTA 4.

Probably should clarify that Far Cry 3 is good game, just that it's a very tenuous sequel to far cry 2.

Far Cry 2 is a bad game and is not even a sequel despite the name. It has no relation to the first game and on top of that is riddled with crap ideas, poorly thought out gameplay and has so much padding that it's virtually impossible to enjoy the game through all the fluff that gets in the way. With that said all of the issues in Far Cry 2 could of been fixed if someone had of bothered to play it before it got shoved out into the publics hands which is what makes it so annoying for me, there's a very good game in there but there's so much shit in the way.

Edited by dsmx at 22:44:46 18-06-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Rodriguez 18 Jun 2013 23:06:10 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This gen - Dragon Age 2. I'm generally a big fan of BioWare RPG's, but this is the one that has most disappointed me out of all their games. In short, massive re-use of environments and assets, difficulty increased by simply dropping more enemies out of thin air and a deeply immature, grating "relationship" structure.

I'm not giving up hope yet though and I'm crossing my fingers that they can turn it around with DA: Inquisition.

Shikasama wrote:
    Final Fantasy X-2 by fucking far
    Shudders....
  • ibenam 18 Jun 2013 23:18:59 1,393 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 3

Probably because I paid 40 for it.
  • dsmx 18 Jun 2013 23:27:32 7,589 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem Uncharted 3 had was you couldn't top the second game and keep it as the same kind of game but they tried anyway.

Edited by dsmx at 23:31:12 18-06-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• DrStrangelove 19 Jun 2013 00:23:52 3,762 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mass Effect 2, until I learned to like it despite its flaws. Then Mass Effect 3 as a sequel to ME2, which is really hard to like despite its flaws, EA really wants you to hate it.

Someone mentioned Pixeljunk Shooter 2, I agree 1 was better, but 2 was still a good game. Still disappointing after the high expectations.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if you count that as a SMB sequel.
  • Jacksie66 19 Jun 2013 00:39:48 572 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Driver 3. Not a direct sequal, but by fuck what a terrible game...
  • dsmx 19 Jun 2013 01:25:07 7,589 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's probably the last truly awful game without any redeeming qualities that I ever bought. I try to forget that game, but for the record I did finish it.

• Deleted user 19 June 2013 01:43:06
    I'm going for a pre-emptive one with Saints Row 4. SR 1 and 2 were excellent, 3 was overblown to full effect but just about clung on to it's roots.

4 just looks God-fucking awful as a super-powered president of the US of A fighting off aliens in Steelport.
  • Dr_Mech 19 Jun 2013 02:18:43 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    I'm going for a pre-emptive one with Saints Row 4. SR 1 and 2 were excellent, 3 was overblown to full effect but just about clung on to it's roots.

4 just looks God-fucking awful as a super-powered president of the US of A fighting off aliens in Steelport.
    I think the major problem is that it was basically developed as DLC for Saints Row 3, now as a probably 4-5 hour piece of DLC it wouldn't be too bad but as a full game, hmm, not sure how it will hold out.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Jun 2013 03:16:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unirally 2 - disappointing by its absence
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Jun 2013 03:29:43 4,039 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tekken 4

Telling that it's sandwiched between 3 and 5, probably the two best in series.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 15:05:56
    Just read through the ME2 disappointment. For me it's the other way round. Being on PS3, I played ME2 on PS2 2(?) years after hearing about how great ME1 was. Not knowing much about the characters / lore, the universe sucked me in and I sunk about 65 hours into my first campaign.

Then played 3 and found it a bit of a grind mid way through as there was less interaction with character, even after the promising start.

So after some elation, the trilogy came out and I started ME1 in January. I'm only just at the point where you become a spectre and whilst the story is great, the dialogue is a little more rusty (mainly Shepherd) than the fantastic voice acting from 2 and 3 but holding the story up well, it's the execution of the game play. It's pretty awful. Combat is terrible and the side missions are (so far) very dull.

Still looking forward to getting back into that universe but so far I am (a little) disappoint.

Edited by feeg86 at 15:06:35 21-06-2013
  • DrStrangelove 21 Jun 2013 21:24:15 3,762 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @feeg86

I can imagine you'd be very disappointed with ME1 if you started with 2 and 3, just as much as ME1 fans were disappointed with the sequels. If you liked ME2's and 3's tight shooting action, ME1 is much less competent in that regard.

What I hated about ME2 was a) they took half the game out, and virtually erased anything that had anything to do with RPG or exploration, and the action (not dialogue) parts are extremely repetitive... and scanning planets for resources is a fucking pain in the arse.

ME1 had its problems too, and it was very rough around the edges, but it was far more diversified and the whole well-paced story part was really satisfying to me. ME2 had a bit of a problem there, dialogue was excellent, the characters' stories too (Jack is still my favourite character of ME), but amidst all that the main plot about the collectors was very short and felt secondary. It felt to me more like a crew-building than a collectors/reapers-fighting game.

And ME3, while gameplay-wise actually better than ME2, feels to me like somewhat of a flat, over-hollywoodified parody of Mass Effect. I dread ME3's ludicrously affected voice acting btw. On one hand this game is so good, on the other I hate it so much...

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:26:45 21-06-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Jun 2013 22:10:16 16,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    And ME3, while gameplay-wise actually better than ME2, feels to me like somewhat of a flat, over-hollywoodified parody of Mass Effect. I dread ME3's ludicrously affected voice acting btw. On one hand this game is so good, on the other I hate it so much...
    I really should finish it at some point but I got to a point where there was some binary choices I had to make and I got a bit irritated by it and I still haven't gone back to it. Not sure I ever will. Considering I loved the first one it really hits home to me how much they misstepped. I've played the second one a couple of times too yet I can't even bring myself to finish the third. I still don't know what the controversy was about the ending as I've managed to avoid all spoilers!

You are a factory of sadness.

• PhoenixFlames 21 Jun 2013 22:13:52 8,946 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Every FIFA since '95

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Page

of 15 First / Last