The most disappointing game sequels Page 11

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• MrE26 21 Sep 2011 10:30:43 1,919 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    ME2 is the game of the generation for me so far. I really can't understand anyone not liking it. Just a stunning game from start to finish.
    Yeah, this. It improved everything that worked from the original & fixed the things that didn't. Absolutely superb game.
  • bad09 21 Sep 2011 10:38:37 5,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    the getaway 2 was very bad as well!

Good call. The first was good but needed some improvement to be great, the second just made it worse! Still wish we got the third one though I was heartbroken when they scrapped it.

Did you know that pointless Home thingie on PS3 was orginally to be a multplayer lobby for Black Monday?
  • CorporalBunion 21 Sep 2011 10:43:25 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure if it really falls into the class of sequel, but any finial fantasy game after FFX. FFX-2 onwards were terribad games.
  • Folant 21 Sep 2011 11:58:28 1,161 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    X-2 does, as will XIII-2. Advent Children, Crisis Core etc.. Does. The After Years does.

Otherwise, no, each numbered Final Fantasy game isn't a sequel.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Rens11 21 Sep 2011 15:11:08 1,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Of course each final fantasy is a sequel they all share similar themes

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• King_Edward 21 Sep 2011 15:12:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Orphans?
  • oceanmotion 21 Sep 2011 15:18:00 15,651 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Halo 2.

It just seemed dull and rather claustrophobic compared to the first. The guns didn't feel right, I guess the dual wielding had something to do with that. Too much story or a bad one ruined things. On the bright side multiplayer was quite awesome other than the jump glitches and standbying.
  • Folant 21 Sep 2011 16:13:57 1,161 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    Similar themes != a sequel

Kingdom Hearts share similar themes to Final Fantasy(outside of character appearances), Chaos Rings share similar themes to Final Fantasy, hell, That new Lord of Arcana or whatever it's called probably shares similar themes to Final Fantasy, yet none of these are a sequel to Final Fantasy.

Each instalment is it's own game.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• SomaticSense 21 Sep 2011 16:18:36 7,959 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    Rens11 wrote:

Kingdom Hearts share similar themes to Final Fantasy(outside of character appearances), Chaos Rings share similar themes to Final Fantasy, hell, That new Lord of Arcana or whatever it's called probably shares similar themes to Final Fantasy, yet none of these are a sequel to Final Fantasy.

Funny, because by numbering them II, IV, VIII, etc, the developers themselves seem to be calling them sequels.

Of course they are sequels FFS. Just because the stories are seperate, there is still the carrying over of game mechanics as well as the aformentioned numerical advancements.
  • andytheadequate 21 Sep 2011 16:21:39 8,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Folant wrote:
    Rens11 wrote:

Funny, because by numbering them II, IV, VIII, etc, the developers themselves seem to be calling them sequels.

Of course they are sequels FFS. Just because the stories are seperate, there is still the carrying over of game mechanics as well as the aformentioned numerical advancements.

I can't agree more with this. Perhaps we should use the word "franchise" instead, just to avoid the pedantry. So "the thirteenth game in the Final Fantasy franchise wasn't very good"...
  • King_Edward 21 Sep 2011 16:55:31 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That doesn't work. Which one was thirteenth?
  • andytheadequate 21 Sep 2011 17:01:57 8,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    That doesn't work. Which one was thirteenth?

Good point. I forgot there were non-numbered FF games. "The game in the franchise known as "Final Fantasy XIII" was a bit rubbish."
  • hypoBla5t 21 Sep 2011 18:01:28 1,360 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why not just say 'FFXIII was shit'?
  • Ahskay 21 Sep 2011 18:45:07 107 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lost planet 2 was shit also.
  • Collymilad 21 Sep 2011 18:47:07 1,266 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahskay wrote:

To put it mildly.

What a missed opportunity.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 22:13:12
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Halo 2.

It just seemed dull and rather claustrophobic compared to the first. The guns didn't feel right, I guess the dual wielding had something to do with that. Too much story or a bad one ruined things. On the bright side multiplayer was quite awesome other than the jump glitches and standbying.

I choose Halo 2 as well although not for the reasons you chose. No game could possibly have lived up to the amount of hype surrounding Halo 2 when it came out, and it didn't. The game was also very short from what I remember. During that final battle, I wasn't even looking at the screen near the end (it wasn't very interesting) when all of a sudden there was a bit of FMV then the end credits started. 'Huh what? That's it?!'.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 22:14:08
    Collymilad wrote:
    Ahskay wrote:

To put it mildly.

What a missed opportunity.
    I was looking forward to playing that as well. What's wrong with it then?
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 22:15:00
    Auf Wiedersehen Monty wasn't a patch on Monty the Mole. Didn't stop me playing it loads though.

• oceanmotion 21 Sep 2011 22:18:16 15,651 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dogme wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Halo 2.

I choose Halo 2 as well although not for the reasons you chose. No game could possibly have lived up to the amount of hype surrounding Halo 2 when it came out, and it didn't. The game was also very short from what I remember. During that final battle, I wasn't even looking at the screen near the end (it wasn't very interesting) when all of a sudden there was a bit of FMV then the end credits started. 'Huh what? That's it?!'.

Yeah, the hype was ridiculous, right down to the box art. I remember reading that it ended suddenly so wasn't surprised and it was very forgettable.

Something I've never quite got is people going nuts over the E3 level. I thought it looked pretty shit and broken. The only thing that made it good was the crowd enthusiasm and boarding the ghost.

I'm tempted to put Ghost Recon 2 on here but struggling to remember if I hated it that much, looking back, the slippery slope that lead to the crap we get now from Ubisoft. I do remember playing it quite a bit. I think the online set up and netcode was rather broken as were all Ubisoft titles.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 22:18:28
    If we're going that far back, then I much prefered Manic Miner to Jet Set Willy. The sequel seemd too unfocused and rambling, although I did enjoy playing it, just never got too far.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 22:21:53
    O/T

You know what they need to remake properly? Spy vs Spy.

I understand there was a version on Xbox that I completely missed but that could be completely epic with massive online gaming these days.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2011 22:23:22
    Urban Strike was a pretty shit follow up top the awesome Jungle Strike.

Who remembers the shit onfoot sections as well..................shudders
  • andywilkie35 21 Sep 2011 22:44:34 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Final Fantasy XI and XIV

Twats

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• convercide 21 Sep 2011 22:47:43 5,913 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
    Dead Rising 2
    Disgaea 2
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Micro Machines V3
    Extreme G 2
    FFX
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Worms Armageddon
    Burnout Paradise
    Earthworm Jim 3D
    Cool Spot Goes to Hollywood
    Sonic 3D: Flickies Island

Most of those I agree with, however the ones I have bolded show you might be slightly mental.

TIP was a huge improvement over the first, adding more to what was already a great game.
    Disgaea 2 is amazing. I've easily sunk as many hours into it as the first, but then again I have the PSP version which adds a lot more than the original release.
    Worms Armageddon was also great. Sure, it was Worms 2.5 but still fantastic.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• ronuds 21 Sep 2011 22:51:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Dogme wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Halo 2.

Yeah, the hype was ridiculous, right down to the box art. I remember reading that it ended suddenly so wasn't surprised and it was very forgettable.

Something I've never quite got is people going nuts over the E3 level. I thought it looked pretty shit and broken. The only thing that made it good was the crowd enthusiasm and boarding the ghost.

I find it hard to choose Halo 2 because the MP was so awesome. Played the crap out of it! The campaign was definitely a letdown, though.

Fable 3 was my most disappointing sequel. Loved Fable 2 and 3 seemed to take a few steps backward, amazingly. I still enjoyed it, mind, but not nearly as much.
  • Rajin 21 Sep 2011 23:09:27 614 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Dogme wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Halo 2.

I find it hard to choose Halo 2 because the MP was so awesome. Played the crap out of it! The campaign was definitely a letdown, though.

Fable 3 was my most disappointing sequel. Loved Fable 2 and 3 seemed to take a few steps backward, amazingly. I still enjoyed it, mind, but not nearly as much.

Loved halo mutiplayer offline, but why of why does everyone seem to forget that we had to wait about 2-3 months(could be less but can't be bothered to look it up, certainly was longer then 2-3 weeks) for patches that made you able to choose your gamemodes!!(before that it was near impossible to chose Slayer if you weren't in a custom game lobby, everything else was randomized and in fact i thought the lobby system was fucked) Everyone seems to ignore these facts up till this point.

• MrE26 21 Sep 2011 23:45:10 1,919 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mortal Kombat 3 was a huge disappointment for me. Some fairly awful new characters, old favourites either missing or turned into fucking robots, a run button & button mash combos. Hated it.

Silent Hill 4 was a fairly average game that clearly had the Silent Hill name tacked on to try & get some sales. Huge disappointment after the previous games.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was a borderline unplayable mess of a game. They'd dropped in quality after the 2nd game, but this was just complete dogshit.
  • TheHammerite 18 Jun 2013 15:39:27 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shadowman 2

Totally lost focus. Mind you, the 1st wasn't all that great but I did expect more from the sequel.

Thief 4

Haven't played it yet. But what a disappointment.
  • WoodenSpoon 18 Jun 2013 15:44:04 12,275 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All Resident Evils after Nemesis(!)

The new Hitman

Supreme Commander 2

Battlefield 3 even though I still love it.
  • SFD 18 Jun 2013 15:45:05 481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dragon age 2
  • Page

of 15 First / Last