The most disappointing game sequels Page 10

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Khosrau 20 Sep 2011 13:46:07 85 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's just the parts you mention did not have anything to do with exploration, but were connected to the main plot.
  • King_Edward 20 Sep 2011 14:44:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wordz...not make sense...in brain...?
  • Widge Moderator 20 Sep 2011 15:26:44 13,272 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found the mako control fine, no issues there... and Noveria was a fine instance of it used well.

On the flip, far too many instances of being on a square shaped map, driving over the same texture but different colours and with one of three installations populated with unfriendly red triangles to murder.

Each side mission on ME2 felt unique and special.

There was so much that ME2 did better than the original that as a sum of its parts makes it better.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• glaeken 20 Sep 2011 15:51:55 11,108 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think given time those exploration type levels could have been improved. Even if they did not spend the time on that why not at least give us sections designed for it like the first game as part of some of the levels? It was much needed missing variety of game play for me.

ME2's side missions were really slick but very linear. I don't remember coming across one choice of path where there was quite a bit of branching in the better ME1 levels.

While ME2 went forward in production values it went backwards in ambition.

• King_of_Hyrule 20 Sep 2011 16:31:40 11 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Age of Empires III (such as dissapointment after the classic AOK)
    Crash: Tag Team Racing (was to be expected since naughty dog didn't make it)
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (and not just because of Raiden)
    Outcast 2 (because it got cancelled during production)
    Final Fantasy XIII and XIV
    Oblivion (because of the levelling system and the constanly re-used art)
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (for obvious reasons)
  • kalel 20 Sep 2011 16:32:41 86,426 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Warrior Within is a great shout. That really was everything that can be bad about a sequel in a nutshell for me.
  • King_Edward 20 Sep 2011 17:04:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I think given time those exploration type levels could have been improved. Even if they did not spend the time on that why not at least give us sections designed for it like the first game as part of some of the levels? It was much needed missing variety of game play for me.

ME2's side missions were really slick but very linear. I don't remember coming across one choice of path where there was quite a bit of branching in the better ME1 levels.

While ME2 went forward in production values it went backwards in ambition.

I don't recall any branching paths in ME1.
  • glaeken 20 Sep 2011 17:48:32 11,108 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not so much branching paths maybe but more than one route to different places with things you could actually bypass or approach from different directions. They are a few on Virmire, Ilos and Noveria that I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Bremenacht 20 Sep 2011 18:11:54 17,614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Each side mission on ME2 felt unique and special.
    Yes. Definitely.

Widge wrote:
    There was so much that ME2 did better than the original that as a sum of its parts makes it better.
    Maybe, but it also did a cack job of developing the story universe that ME1 did such a good job of creating. The side missions are ME2, with a barely baked crust of main story on top. They appeared to show such little interest in the rest of the ME universe that they even introduced quite a few typos in the descriptions of planets, which they probably did on the cheap using an intern.

I'm not liking this trend of games looking amazing but being rather empty - and being massively successful as a result.
  • Ahskay 20 Sep 2011 18:53:34 107 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    So we've done Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2 and Resi 4. Are the haters ready to start spouting nonsense about GTA4 yet?

I don't like GTA4, it's not nonsense but i got bored by that game. Get in a car, drive around with bad physics get out, shoot with bad controls get back in the car,...

I'm fond off the sandbox set-up though. With the all weapons cheat i had a couple of hours of fun. Do note that i didn't like the others either for the same reasons and i like them for the same reasons, mindless fun shooting cops and civilians. The originals with the top-view and china town wars poop all over the main console versions imo.

I do have a special love for Vice city, the only GTA worth attention imho, it's the best of them all and i even played the missions in that one.
  • Genji 20 Sep 2011 22:45:02 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spacedelete wrote:
    but overall was very shallow.
    Wrong.
    most of the time when your talking to a character it doesn't even try to disguise the fact its linear as you can pick all the dialogue in one conversation which makes it pointless.
    And the conversations in the first game weren't linear...? Hell, how does this make it different from just about every other RPG ever made?
    at the end of the day it just wasn't fun.
    For you, evidently. I had the time of my life, for all three playthroughs. I'm sorry that you didn't!
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Sep 2011 23:41:24 7,836 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
    Dead Rising 2
    Disgaea 2
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Micro Machines V3
    Extreme G 2
    FFX
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Worms Armageddon
    Burnout Paradise
    Earthworm Jim 3D
    Cool Spot Goes to Hollywood
    Sonic 3D: Flickies Island
  • Deckard1 20 Sep 2011 23:41:53 27,266 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ME2 is the game of the generation for me so far. I really can't understand anyone not liking it. Just a stunning game from start to finish.
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Sep 2011 23:49:34 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest anyone who expected MK3 to be good after playing MK and MK2 was just kidding themselves...

I agree about Micro Machines 3 though!
  • DUFFKING 21 Sep 2011 00:03:05 7,111 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ninja Gaiden 2. Considerably worse in nearly every department.
  • Genji 21 Sep 2011 00:35:52 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Ninja Gaiden 2. Considerably worse in nearly every department.
    Yeah, that's a good shout.
  • Deckard1 21 Sep 2011 00:40:42 27,266 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was still good though in parts. I'm worried the third one is going to be fucked though.
  • dsmx 21 Sep 2011 01:02:25 7,563 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My feeling on Mass Effect 2 is that there's a difference between what people expected and what people got.

I tend to expect and probably a lot of other people as well that in a sequel you take what worked in the first game and refine it, you take what didn't work and try to fix it and you throw in a few new ideas to make it fresh.

Mass effect took what worked in the first game and refined it, took what didn't quite work and threw it all out and didn't add anything new to the game. So what we got was a very streamlined and very polished game that has no ambition and doesn't push anything forward. Yes it's a good, solid game much like COD but it doesn't push the medium forward in any way, again much like COD.

I was expecting them to at least show some ambition in what they did, not just play it safe and do absolutely nothing new.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Collymilad 21 Sep 2011 04:14:10 1,266 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    ME2 is the game of the generation for me so far. I really can't understand anyone not liking it. Just a stunning game from start to finish.

Completely.

I don't get it either. I think it's partly down to what people enjoyed about the first game.

For me I loved the settings, story, and the conversations. The general gameplay was alright. The 2nd one had amazing locations, story and conversations and they improved the gameplay. ME2 didn't dissapoint me at all, but then I never saw Mass Effect as that RPG heavy, to me it was more of an story driven action game with a very slick convo system.

When you actually look at it, a lot of the stuff they "dumbed down" in ME2 was basically pointless cumbersome crap that was present in ME1. That's the way I see it at least.
  • Genji 21 Sep 2011 05:09:31 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really find the phrase "dumbed down" a bit irritating most of the time. It's mostly inaccurate, and more than a little bit condescending to people who like the "dumb" version. Why, if they like it, they must also be a bit thick! Right?
  • Scimarad 21 Sep 2011 09:05:45 8,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It irritates that crap out of me!

I'm a big RPG fan and certainly didn't miss all the 'RPG elements' they ripped out of Mass Effect. Even though I missed the Mako and the ability to drive around on planets (somewhat rectified by Overlord/Firewalker) everything else about ME2 seemed like an improvement, with the possible exception of the overall story. The environments for the various side missions were a lot more unique than those in the first game, all of which seemed to use 1 of 2 building or possibly 1 spaceship.

To me, the bits that make it an RPG are the conversation system and the ability to fly around where you want and find sidequests rather than how much choice you've got when you level up. Looking at it that way, Deus Ex HR is almost as much of an RPG.

Anyway, I supposed disappointment is a personal thing.
  • Red_Bool 21 Sep 2011 09:23:30 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only thing that "disappointed" me in ME2 was the same thing in ME1: the final boss fight was way too easy. So easy in fact that I did them both twice in a row: in ME1 because I didn't like the choices I had made and in ME2 because I lost one of my team-members in the first try. For the rest they were both awesome.

/my 2 cents
  • Big-Swiss 21 Sep 2011 09:24:52 8,076 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    the getaway 2 was very bad as well!
  • Red_Bool 21 Sep 2011 10:02:54 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    Yes, but was that disappointing? It's not like the original was all that stellar ;-)
  • AcidSnake 21 Sep 2011 10:08:40 7,223 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone mention Duke Nukem Forever yet? Not that I've played it, but there's not a lot of love going around for that game...

I never really liked Rebel Strike after Rogue Leader...Horrible on foot sections and uninspired levels...

Donkey Kong Country 3...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Big-Swiss 21 Sep 2011 10:09:03 8,076 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    Yes, but was that disappointing? It's not like the original was all that stellar ;-)

for me personally it was, I really liked the first one a lot, finished it within 4 days. And then when they were making the second one a few years later I was looking forward to it a lot. finally it was released, bought it, took it home, put it in, played 2 hours and never touched it again. That was very disapointing to me!

• Big-Swiss 21 Sep 2011 10:09:59 8,076 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Red faction 2 was a big disapointment as well. The game wasn't bad acctually, but for some reason they killed the whole spirit of the first one...........
  • andytheadequate 21 Sep 2011 10:12:39 8,084 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Anyone mention Duke Nukem Forever yet? Not that I've played it, but there's not a lot of love going around for that game...

Can it be considered disappointing when anyone with a brain realised it would be a turd?

• Page

of 15 First / Last