Valkyria Chronicles

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • DodgyPast 17 Sep 2011 18:09:16 8,543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sadly it seems the original thread has been deleted.

Just finished Uncharted and thought I'd have a crack at this. Given it's a Japanese RPG type thing any advice for getting the most out of it from a single play through without delving too much into gamefaqs.

I did glean that the goal is to finish missions as quickly as possible, and noticed a very large boost from swapping from a careful balanced multi character advance to a suicidal close range headshotting rampage with Welkin.

Since it appears you can't redo missions it looks like you should repeat missions via load/save to get the highest scores you can.
  • Oh-Bollox 17 Sep 2011 18:54:36 5,435 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Change your team...almost every mission, I'd say? Don't try and build one multi-purpose squad that does everything and use that all the time.
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2011 18:56:50 55,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stay in cover, keep your people alive, save / reload. ;)
  • RyanDS 17 Sep 2011 18:59:25 9,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scouts are brilliant, especially when they reach level 11.

You can save mid missions.
  • Ged42 17 Sep 2011 19:06:05 7,812 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Use the tank as a shield.
  • Widge Moderator 17 Sep 2011 20:04:30 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm impressed but not surprised

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 17 September 2011 20:17:51
    Use the items at your disposal i.e smoke grenades. Some missions are so much easier if you do.
  • DodgyPast 17 Sep 2011 20:57:23 8,543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's the bit that confuses me.

For example on the second mission I do that and I get a C, or I charge Welkin through and kill the leader in the 1st turn with a sliver of health left and I get the top rank which gives over double the XP.

Guess the best bet seems to be run through once carefully, then repeat and see how many corners I can cut.

What sort of level is a reasonable score, so your xp doesn't lag behind the difficulty? Because guessing it becomes a real juggling act between keeping people alive and completing quickly.

Really wish you could repeat stuff.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2011 21:15:37
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    That's the bit that confuses me.

For example on the second mission I do that and I get a C, or I charge Welkin through and kill the leader in the 1st turn with a sliver of health left and I get the top rank which gives over double the XP.

Guess the best bet seems to be run through once carefully, then repeat and see how many corners I can cut.

What sort of level is a reasonable score, so your xp doesn't lag behind the difficulty? Because guessing it becomes a real juggling act between keeping people alive and completing quickly.

Really wish you could repeat stuff.

Don't worry about the grades untill you've leveled up a bit. You can replay missions.
  • DodgyPast 17 Sep 2011 21:25:40 8,543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hindle wrote:
    Don't worry about the grades untill you've leveled up a bit. You can replay missions.
    So you don't fall too far behind by not getting high ranks? Because from what I saw when googling you only get the replays after finishing the game.
  • RyanDS 17 Sep 2011 21:29:37 9,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Hindle wrote:
    So you don't fall too far behind by not getting high ranks? Because from what I saw when googling you only get the replays after finishing the game.

You can replay skirmishes (optional missions) whenever you want.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2011 21:45:18
    Typically you'll want to end a session just after a quick trial and error attempt on a new map, so when you come back you've been thinking about strategy.

But I'd say to enjoy your failures as much as your wins, and avoid restarting after a loss, unless you've got a big block of time; set out to play it slowly over a month, is my advice.

I played it solid over one Christmas holiday (2009 iirc) and put it about 90hrs in 8days (pulling many 4am finishes) just so the better half could watch the next story cut-sequences the following morning.

She was hooked by the story early on in the game, and probably enjoyed it even more than I did; as she had the advantage of doing something else with the other 89hrs.
  • Cappy 17 Sep 2011 22:18:45 12,119 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The grade awarded is tied directly to the number of turns taken and nothing else.

You can take horrific casualties, and get a top rank on speed of completion alone. It undermines the strategy element somewhat.
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2011 22:36:05 55,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, don't get obsessed with trying to S rank everything on the first go. Will spoil the game.
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Sep 2011 00:05:05 5,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And don't try to S-Rank everything ! :)

A-Rank is the highest in the EU/US version, S-Rank was removed from the JP original. Silly Psycho.
  • Psychotext 18 Sep 2011 01:47:36 55,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of us aren't scrubs who wait for localisation.

/shuns
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Sep 2011 10:10:22 5,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of us aren't so upwardly elitest that we ignore what version the OP might be playing.

/plays Grand Knights History

Nnneeerrrr :p
  • Widge Moderator 18 Sep 2011 10:14:28 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How did the tactics pan out on the psp versions? Did they make it so it wasn't just speed based for high ranks?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• oldschoolsoviet 18 Sep 2011 10:31:23 5,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not really. Still turns taken, scout rush still applies. More Aces/hidden weapons though, so it's worth a good nose about.

The mechanics/gameplay were greatly refined though. I find VC really awkward to play after the sequels.
  • Deleted user 18 September 2011 10:54:18
    It's a waste they moved the franchise to the PSP, they could have done so much more on the PS3.
  • DodgyPast 18 Sep 2011 11:24:16 8,543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like I'm going to have to brush the dust off my PSP and figure out how to get it up and running properly again.
  • kupocake 18 Sep 2011 18:20:26 125 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished Uncharted and thought I'd have a crack at this.
    Spooky. This is exactly what I'm doing :)

Up to Chapter 9. The first mission of the last chapter was the first where I broke down and used saves inside the mission. That one ace shocktrooper just took too much of Welkin's health... And yeah, the ranking is bullshit. You should ignore it and focus on playing the game properly. Use the skirmishes to level up :)

Any thoughts on the DLC? Since I got a second hand copy I feel kind of obliged to invest :p
  • Deleted user 18 September 2011 18:53:42
    The DLC is meh at best, there is one mission thats played from the perspective of the Empire. It's a bit short though.
  • DodgyPast 20 Sep 2011 15:52:32 8,543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Settling for B-grades seems to be suiting me quite well, so progressing through it pretty slowly.

Assume it got debated to death in the prior thread, but just to ask... was their a general consensus why they didn't do multiplayer with this? That could've been digital crack, especially if the phases were shared by CP ratio.
  • Oh-Bollox 20 Sep 2011 18:55:27 5,435 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kupocake wrote:
    Just finished Uncharted and thought I'd have a crack at this.
    Spooky. This is exactly what I'm doing :)

Up to Chapter 9. The first mission of the last chapter was the first where I broke down and used saves inside the mission. That one ace shocktrooper just took too much of Welkin's health... And yeah, the ranking is bullshit. You should ignore it and focus on playing the game properly. Use the skirmishes to level up :)

Any thoughts on the DLC? Since I got a second hand copy I feel kind of obliged to invest :p

I quite like the DLC, except having to essentially buy a difficulty level fucked me off something awful.
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Sep 2011 22:49:55 5,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Settling for B-grades seems to be suiting me quite well, so progressing through it pretty slowly.

Assume it got debated to death in the prior thread, but just to ask... was their a general consensus why they didn't do multiplayer with this? That could've been digital crack, especially if the phases were shared by CP ratio.
    VC2 tried it. Of the few games I played over AdHoc Party, the 4 player co-op was a mess without organisation, and the turn based versus did drag a bit. Main stumbling block is the differing squad levels, although a separate 'create a MP squad' system could work, with some sort of perpetual war.

Alas, I fear we'll never know.
  • Widge Moderator 5 Oct 2012 22:28:08 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Installing again now for some nostalgic fun.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• HisDudness 5 Oct 2012 22:38:05 1,017 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was thinking of doing the same. All the DLC got a massive price cut on the NA store and I'm trying to decide, which to pick up. Is it the consensus that the Selvaria expansion is the best of the lot?
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Oct 2012 23:40:12 5,555 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Selvaria is a definite, the EX hard mode is ridiculous, and the Edy one is a bit lightweight.
  • Widge Moderator 5 Oct 2012 23:54:22 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I seem to remember my copy was an import, will have to check that DLC.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous