• Deleted user 16 September 2011 15:29:05
    Postman Matt and his very large tat.
  • kalel 16 Sep 2011 15:29:07 87,684 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Someone with more wit than me needs to finish off the following:

Postman Matt, postman Matt

...and his total lack of legal recourse.
  • Jeepers 16 Sep 2011 15:32:23 13,181 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Someone with more wit than me needs to finish off the following:

Postman Matt, postman Matt

Postman Matt, Postman Matt
    Postman Matt and his journo spat.
    Early in the morning
    A brick was used to floor 'im.
    Postman Matt is bleeding from his head.
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2011 15:33:34 59,922 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like the headline; 'battered from pillar to postie'

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 16 Sep 2011 15:36:42 59,922 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By the look of them, this wasnt the first time its happened in this family

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3810535/Incest-sister-forced-to-flee-home.html

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Chopsen 16 Sep 2011 15:53:16 15,983 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    von_Doll wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    Just out of interest, why are you objecting to them publishing the picture? Like you say, it does actually put you in a positive light.

I don't know if you've got much to stand on legally. I don't think there's a right to privacy in English law (dunno what you crazy Scots have), and it looks like the photo was taken in public anyway....

Basically, I didn't want my family to find out, specifically, my father who's recovering from a stroke in hospital and not doing too well. Turns out, as I suspected, once of his nurses clocked me in the sun, and, well, I may as well have been gang-raped to death by barbarains.

Just what I didn't want. Managed to warn my mother though, and the other half already knew when she came home early from work to see two coppers in her front room. Of course, I got into trouble for not phoning her immediately, as it was taking place.

:S

Fair enough.

I don't really see why so much identifiable info needs to be published in such stories anyway. What does it really add to the public interest aspect to be able to publish photographs of people with their names for such stories? Pisses me off a bit. The press often cross a line between between reporting news and public interest pieces to basically being voyeuristic gossip mongers. I realise I'm a bit tin-foil hat on this issue.

Hope your dad's gets better.
  • Scurrminator 16 Sep 2011 16:02:01 8,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    von_Doll wrote:
    Okay, okay, I'll post a proper link. But believe me, after the few days I've had, you lot have just had me in stitches. :)

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3814784/Battered-from-pillar-to-postie.html

I really don't know if they will find the answers in the depth of Space...

A Grampian Police spokesman said they had launched a probe.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Deleted user 16 September 2011 16:41:48
    You deliver post in Tilly, fucking 'ell. Had to deliver papers in Tilly for a while. Felt pretty safe like.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 16:43:56
    C'mon mowgli. This is your chance to shine!
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 16:48:56
    I just finished work, don't make me look it up on my phone!
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 16:51:50
    You mean you haven't memorised the law? I've never felt such a sense of crushing disappointment.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 17:07:39
    I can't remember what I got for my final degree exam "All the Law", but it wasn't great.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 16 Sep 2011 18:15:32 10,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon you'd have a good claim if the PCC are willing to look into it. Taking into account the circumstances of your dad in particular.

Really comes down to what loss you have suffered as a result of the article. If you can't quantify it, taking into account the cost of taking legal action, then the best result would be a small notice in the newspaper apologizing for using personal information without permission.

You'd be better off suing the fecking cunts for PI once they've been identified.

My advice in a nutshell.
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Sep 2011 18:21:29 13,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think we're all missing the true tragedy here. Some thoughtless fuck bled all over some poor kids' bricks! That's a fucking travesty and someone should do something about it.
  • Bremenacht 16 Sep 2011 20:48:46 18,246 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I enjoyed a good laugh at the first link - thanks for that. :)

Forget the press bit - nothing satisfactory will come of it. That's how they work.

Take a look at this instead:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/compensation-schemes/cica/am-i-eligible/index.htm

Apparently, only 5% of elegible people apply for it. Do yourself a little favour.

• Khanivor 16 Sep 2011 22:05:00 40,759 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You probably deliver a few of my mates post.

Still, better than Northside.
  • Vortex808 16 Sep 2011 22:18:53 7,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor

Still, better than Northside.

Aye, a poor man's Stone Roses weren't they! :-P

I assume you mean northfield?
  • LionheartDJH 16 Sep 2011 22:20:26 19,457 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's a bold statement to make Vortex.

She dives for cheese pasties

• von_Doll 16 Sep 2011 22:22:02 2,107 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've bagged my first celebrity stalker.

Some auld dear followed me around Sainsburys tonight for half an hour and eventually plucked up the courage to approach me at the self-checkout and tell me how great I am.

Naturally, I took her home for groupie sex after signing my receipt.
  • Vortex808 16 Sep 2011 22:22:41 7,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And i made it in all bold too thanks to this bloody smart phone too! /o\

Edit: Well this post makes no sense now I've edited the other one, but I'll go on record to state I have nowt against northside, just that I'm pretty sure there's no northside where Von_doll got attacked by bricks.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 22:23:30
    My mum moved up to Northfield after being in Seaton for 20+ years. Doesn't look too bad from what I've seen so far.
  • Khanivor 17 Sep 2011 00:11:21 40,759 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

I assume you mean northfield?

Duh...

Yeah, Northfield. Grimmest place in toon - ever worse than Seaton - and that's saying a lot :D
  • von_Doll 18 Nov 2011 13:58:33 2,107 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Update:

Three of the five involved were arrested, one dismissed, two pled guilty. One of those was admonished (scots law - a verbal discipline), and the other, presumably the brick-wielder, was deferred for sentencing.

Letter in from the Procurator Fiscal today; the verdict is...

120 hours community service.
  • von_Doll 18 Nov 2011 14:34:00 2,107 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm thinking about sacrificing a chicken to Stendarr, God of Righteous Might and Merciful Forbearance, but other than that, doubt there's much I could do on my end.

At least there'll be no CoD on the prison Xboxes this Christmas.
  • Salaman 27 Sep 2012 08:31:41 19,056 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess this thread will do as well as any.

*BUMP*

Last Frebuary, I went to Amsterdam with a friend. The Hilton had told me my points with them were going to expire so I thought "Screw it I'll spend them".
    The rate I had was points + cash. Went there, had a good time, paid up Sunday morning and went home.

I just got an email yesterday from the hotel manager to inform me that due to some administrative delay, the people at checkout couldn't' see the money part of my rate and hadn't charged me for it. Therefore they were now going to charge me the outstanding balance on my credit card.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. I'd need to first dig out my credit card statements to make sure that I haven't in fact paid them already. If there system is shit enough to not notice for 7 months that an amount is missing, it might be shit enough to think an amount is missing when it was in fact paid.

Even if they fucked up. They fucked up. Over half a year ago. Not sure how long after the event they can come along and just charge my credit card like that.
  • kalel 27 Sep 2012 08:36:44 87,684 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suspect when you give them your credit card and sign a bit of paper, you're giving them permission to do that.

I'd go for a polite letter saying you were unprepared for the payment to be taken at this point and they should have given you fair warning, and it was reasonable for you to expect no further charges at this point, and fish for some sort of good will gesture. If you can be arsed. I'd also send the letter to the main head office for all of Hilton and not that particular Hilton Hotel.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last