New IP Ideas

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 12:05:41
    Having seen the Resident evil 6 video news (now fake) something hit me about the number 6 and made me think it's getting ridiculous now (it being the 8th Res Evil in the Main games 0,1,2,3,CV,4,5). Granted Police Academy had 7 films of which Mission to Moscow was one of the better ones and James Bond has been belting them out for years but at what point do you say enough is enough.

There are various universes that support different stories and side plots and do it well, but in a franchise like horror the titles familiarity betrays the sense of suspense and tension it tries to create. It's not just horror though this year sees a host of Threequels. Trilogies are probably the accepted run for a story in a short space of time with a 4th or reboot coming a few years if not a decade later. That said am I the only one who would love to see a more of a mix between sequels and new IPs this year has been so sequel driven its crazy and whilst many will be and are great games their stories and worlds cannot be as awe inspiring or impactful a second time round. I will admit that, unlike Movies, there is more a game can add with each passing sequel than just a story and effects but even so that shouldn't forgo attempts at something new.

I know new IPs are gambles and that sequels are almost guaranteed cash cows. Its a shame the game industry has yet to really establish a director celebrity culture. There are no games designers with as much clout as Del Toro, Jackson, Speilberg or even Bay.

But anyway to my point, which new gaming IP, world/setting, characters would you live to see?

examples:

- Cannibals/Inbreds (cahinsaw massacre esque) in the everglades (Cannibals are underused in games and the everglades is moody and incredibly hard to traverse on foot creating tension as a hoard of cannibals comes baying for you)
    - Crazed Animal Virus in Cost Rica (Rain forest setting out in the middle of nowhere, animals with ever increasingly aggressive features and personalties clash as you track you way to find out why and escape)
    - Maybe an FPS set on an ever changing map as doors and areas are blocked off and opened at random and at pace keeping the action moving and trapping you in certain situations.

These are a little cliche but would love to see what else people have in mind, maybe we can even give the games companies pause for thought :)
  • billythekid 16 Sep 2011 12:08:53 11,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a distinct lack of monkeys in games nowadays, so something with monkeys please.
  • Physically_Insane 16 Sep 2011 12:09:48 9,295 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zombie ninja monkeys.
  • ModishNouns 16 Sep 2011 12:11:02 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cannibal monkeys.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 12:12:50
    And pirates.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 12:13:13
    Lol now were talking a game with Zombie Cannibal Ninja Monkeys, would you really stand any chance of winning though?
  • Physically_Insane 16 Sep 2011 12:14:41 9,295 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ollyn wrote:
    Lol now were talking a game with Zombie Cannibal Ninja Monkeys, would you really stand any chance of winning though?

Good point. Make them one-legged zombie cannibal ninja monkeys. And pirates.
  • King_Edward 16 Sep 2011 12:15:24 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You play as the ZCNM.
  • billythekid 16 Sep 2011 12:16:32 11,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZCNM! ZCNM! ZCNM!
  • ModishNouns 16 Sep 2011 12:22:38 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ollyn wrote:
    But anyway to my point, which new gaming IP, world/setting, characters would you live to see?

But seriously, Jim, please could you fix it for me to have:-

1. An open world, multi player driving game. The game that TDU 2 should have been.
    2. A space exploration game with an RPG style quest structure where I can recruit/create a crew.
  • SomaticSense 16 Sep 2011 12:27:27 9,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    ollyn wrote:

But seriously, Jim, please could you fix it for me to have:-

1. An open world, multi player driving game. The game that TDU 2 should have been.

Why someone hasn't bought up the mammoth Top Gear licence and made a game of that ilk I've no idea. It's potentially a huge cash cow which would be likely to sell millions.

A Turn 10 developed open world driving game based around Top Gear's 'race' challenges, and which is based around the basic 'drive around and buy cars' structure of the TDU series would be an utter dream.

Um, but could we do without a digitalised Clarkson though? Ta very much.
  • ModishNouns 16 Sep 2011 12:35:16 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    A Turn 10 developed open world driving game based around Top Gear's 'race' challenges, and which is based around the basic 'drive around and buy cars' structure of the TDU series would be an utter dream.

That's a brilliant idea. E.g. Find and buy a RWD coupe for under 2000 and report to the test centre for a series of challenges against the clock, AI or friends. Degrading car condition and ad hoc shed repairs :)

SomaticSense wrote:

I'm afraid that might be a condition of the licence.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 12:35:47
    A turn based version of FIFA.
    Traffic warden simulator.
    Lighthouse Tycoon.
    A platform game with 100% realistic physics.
    A Mario World RTS.
    A gritty reboot of Nintendogs.
    Gears of War / Space Channel 5 crossover.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 12:37:20
    Id like a superhero open world game that isnt all gritty like infamous/crackdown/prototype. Bit like Freedom Fighters was in tone, but not an RTS.
  • SomaticSense 16 Sep 2011 12:39:23 9,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:

I'm afraid that might be a condition of the licence.

I'm also afraid it might mean having his face permanently as part of the HUD, randomly spouting extreme right wing comments every 5 seconds.

"If I was Prime Minister..."
  • Zomoniac 16 Sep 2011 13:09:42 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How about a WWI game? Has there ever even been one? I can't really think how it would work and be fun. In my head something like a frantic open FPS on the battlefield for a bit, come back down into the trench, repeat.

It's just making it not be a dull repetitive FPS, and I don't know what on earth the game would entail when you're in the trench, how to even make it a game, but from what little bits I have in my head, the time in trench would focus heavily on character development, your colleagues talking to you and bonding with you as you fix your gear or whatever, telling you about their family, making you actually care about them.

Then depending on how well you play or what tactics they choose, they may or may not die at any point in the game out on the battlefield. So they would be the main characters in the game, but their fates would not be pre-determined. Sort of like Heavy Rain where different characters can live or die, but without the pre-determined split story paths. They're just there, working with you, and depending on your decisions or ability, any one of them could die, at any point, then they just stop being a part of the game. No cut-scenes, so the whole thing can be completely dynamic.

I'm aware I'm just typing stream of thought and this isn't really very well planned out at all, I just like the idea of a game where you could spend 15 hours of play time developing a connection with a character, they become your in-game best friend, and then because of a decision you make they end up dead. No scripting, no dramatic pre-planned twists, just a game that can actually convey some real emotion and feeling without having to go down the Hollywood game "lets stick all the emotion in a bunch of pre-done cut-scenes where everyone gets the same game" route.

tl;dr etc etc
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2011 13:10:53 61,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• neilka 16 Sep 2011 13:13:17 16,539 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's probably okay to just call them "new ideas".

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• LeoliansBro 16 Sep 2011 13:13:19 44,961 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More asymmertical team gaming. I've bored everyone silly with my plans for a four-four deathmatch, but where each team controls different aspects of a single starfighter (say). Pilot / gunner / navigator / engineer.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TechnoHippy 16 Sep 2011 13:13:51 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    A turn based version of FIFA.

like Blood Bowl without the ultra-violence?

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• thedaveeyres 16 Sep 2011 13:14:19 11,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dancing Monster.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• LeoliansBro 16 Sep 2011 13:14:25 44,961 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FPS roaming within the ship, but you can bolt down to a 'station'. And die independently of the ship losing. Gunner gone? Navigator - man the weapons console!

• Zomoniac 16 Sep 2011 13:14:42 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    More asymmertical team gaming. I've bored everyone silly with my plans for a four-four deathmatch, but where each team controls different aspects of a single starfighter (say). Pilot / gunner / navigator / engineer.

So FIFA's Be A Pro online mode but with space combat?
  • LeoliansBro 16 Sep 2011 13:16:07 44,961 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

First person online FIFA would be highly cool.

• Deleted user 16 September 2011 13:16:41
    Zomoniac wrote:
    How about a WWI game? Has there ever even been one? snip

There was the WW1 sections of the Darkness. Bit boring though, for me.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 13:17:33
    What's wrong with sequels? As long as they good and bring something new to the table then happy days.

Yearly lazy updates can die in fire though.
  • Zomoniac 16 Sep 2011 13:17:56 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

First person online FIFA would be highly cool.

Be A Pro meets Mirror's Edge? That would be weird. Interesting though.
  • mrpon 16 Sep 2011 13:18:15 29,587 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Chilean miner survival game. Kinda Minecraft meets Boulderdash, perhaps throw in a bit of Descent for terror purposes.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• LeoliansBro 16 Sep 2011 13:18:43 44,961 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WW1 is missing some dynamism, I suspect fans of the Harpoon and Silent Service games would love it though.

/rain

/trenchfoot

/12 hour guard duty

/instakill and reload

• Zomoniac 16 Sep 2011 13:21:37 7,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know it's not a new "IP" (given it's 80 years old or whatever), but a more open Batman game of the quality of Arkham Asylum but set in the more relatable Nolan universe with those characters and equipment with a full scale city would make me a very happy panda. AA's a great game, but the comic (and indeed all pre-Nolan Batman) universe does absolutely nothing for me, I'd love to see it translated into a world I like.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous