• Page

of 7 First / Last

• RyanDS 15 Sep 2011 19:43:39 9,061 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    I'm not sure why the flight-stick controls of X-Wing couldn't be mapped to a modern controller. Getting the travel and deadzones would be tricky but I think it could be done.

Yeah but you had flight, power, shields, targeting, communications etc. Even with a flight stick you still needed the keyboard if I remember correctly. surely all of that would not be possible on a pad, 360 pad has what 10 buttons including the stick buttons, 5 more if you include the D-pad and the back button (start would obviously be needed to pause the game). 15 buttons wouldn't do it without streamlining the game.

Ooooh..... Kinect could allow virtual button pushing. As could a chatpad. I expect that a chatpad is as banned as a keyboard for gameplay.

Good call. Kinect (or even a mic) could do all the wingman stuff.
  • bad09 15 Sep 2011 20:18:42 5,642 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Ryze wrote:

Ooooh..... Kinect could allow virtual button pushing. As could a chatpad. I expect that a chatpad is as banned as a keyboard for gameplay.

Good call. Kinect (or even a mic) could do all the wingman stuff.

Get out, both of you. Take your human waggle with you!

Seriously though, voice commands could work. Has it ever worked though? I only tried it once on a Ghost Recon game and gave up when I realised I needed to talk in an american acent for it to register...that was Ubifail though, they're not known for their quailty....
  • Khanivor 15 Sep 2011 20:42:37 40,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quality is not exactly immediately associated with Lucas Arts these days :(
  • bad09 15 Sep 2011 20:44:09 5,642 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Quality is not exactly immediately associated with Lucas Arts these days :(

True, if Ubifail can't do it right LA have no chance :)
  • vijay_UK 16 Sep 2011 16:00:20 2,079 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Time to dust off your CV's:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/15/lucasarts-hiring-for-new-aerial-combat-title/
  • khaz 19 Sep 2011 01:10:32 2,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Obligatory where's my Freespace 3 thread hijack post.

/prays to the gaming gods to get Volition to make another one

X-Wing Alliance on moderns PCs eh? Hmm, might be worth a gander just for the Death Star run. :)
  • Khanivor 23 Sep 2011 00:30:46 40,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God you're a spanner.
  • PenguinJim 23 Sep 2011 01:34:47 5,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought all of the Lair review issues were immediately fixed after Sony sent out packs explaining How To Review Lair?
  • Dirtbox 23 Sep 2011 03:08:13 77,469 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What the fuck are you doing out of the spackers section of the forum?

Get back in your hole and stop getting your indecipherable ooze all over proper threads.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Khanivor 23 Sep 2011 03:47:02 40,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whining about Lair in 2011? You're beyond saving.

If you must proudly strut how much of a flid that you are resurrect it's thread and stay out of this thread. It's about a proper game on a proper machine.
  • Dirtbox 23 Sep 2011 04:26:10 77,469 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Go derail a PS3 thread.

• PenguinJim 23 Sep 2011 04:40:49 5,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought even the original X-Wing let you turn faster at lower speeds? And I seem to recall SVGA Tie Fighter being pretty much unplayable on a 486 - if you're going to put together a system to replay it, I'd recommend a P133 (maybe a P90 minimum). I don't remember it looking any better with a Soundblaster, so I'm not sure why that was mentioned. And a 19 foot monitor? 19 feet?!

I think that someone didn't actually play this series before...
  • Dirtbox 23 Sep 2011 04:44:21 77,469 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Soundblasters make games look better?

Also Gravis Ultrasound >>>>>>>>> Soundblaster for these games.

• Khanivor 23 Sep 2011 04:49:42 40,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Folk like nipsen are what give Wikipedia a bad name.

Dundering fuckwits aside, looking at some old Tie Fighter pics and damn if I don't want a nice, simple update. Give me 2011 GFX, (PC GFX, not 2003 toy attempts) an updated UI, some leaderboards and drop-in co-op and I'd cream.

Alliance was pretty shit, even though it looked a good bit better, (what's that you say, resolution does not a good game make?) but it shouldn't have been the end, man.
  • khaz 23 Sep 2011 05:32:16 2,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alliance shouldn't have been the end but I think it was the last hurrah of the old school Lucasarts devs. There were touches of the old school LA in there but it was too late by then. Phantom Menace was on its way. Everything went to tosh after that, except for Jedi Outcast and Academy, which were pretty cool actually.

No i'm still not upset from the time I played Naboo Fighter. No i'm not, really.

• Khanivor 23 Sep 2011 06:01:41 40,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pod Racer was a solid game, imo. I think it could make for a good XBLA/PSN update, especially if the devs went to town on the SFX. I think that was the 1st arcade game I really played the shit out of on the PC. If it was good enough to be considered along early 90s PC gaming it had to have something going for it!
  • Rusty_M 23 Sep 2011 07:46:53 4,579 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alliance was cool...apart from that damn crate inspection mission where the AI always left one uninspected.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• khaz 23 Sep 2011 07:58:30 2,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Alliance was cool...apart from that damn crate inspection mission where the AI always left one uninspected.

AGH! Damn you for reminding me!

• PenguinJim 23 Sep 2011 08:40:28 5,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nipsen wrote:
    ..really don't feel like playing Tie Fighter or x-wing any more either, when I can play Freespace, or I-War/Edge of Chaos (..or maybe Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, if I'm feeling lazy). Those games have aged well. Tie Fighter maybe didn't. The concept and the way the game works was stuck on the hardware it was made for. See that too well when you play I-War. How two-dimensional Tie Fighter was, that you almost never have to use the 3d map, or think in 3d space.

PenguinJim wrote:
    I thought even the original X-Wing let you turn faster at lower speeds? And I seem to recall SVGA Tie Fighter being pretty much unplayable on a 486
    ..well, I guess you seem to remember wrong. 486/33 with the detail a way down would run perfectly fine. A dx/66 would run great..
    Oh, there you go, just turn down all the graphics options to a bare minimum and it will run at the higher resolution. Seems to be the story of your life! Although you're still wrong, and a ten-second Google search offers two more opinions that a 486 is insufficient:
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=27886&sid=9e93140827112e5c0612c1ce06f17c30
    "I tried to play Tie Fighter in SVGA mode on the 486 some time ago and it was nearly unplayable; standard VGA mode was a much more enjoyable experience."
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=24216&sid=a990a8267a3accb353ee6f3efec15be1
    "I've recently got my 486 set up and bought Tie Fighter Collector's CD to play. The game plays fine but I have to turn all the graphics down to either off or lowest setting. I thought perhaps a RAM upgrade would help so I bought 64MB and stuck it in. If it's made any difference at all though, it's not noticeable!"

nipsen wrote:
    ..do you remember how much a pentium would cost in 1994, by the way..? It didn't really perform better than a 486dx until the 100 and 200Mhz versions with the faster level 2 cache turned up a couple of years later either. Pentium MMX turned up in.. ..96? 97?
    Ummm... relevance? Precisely to the pound, no, I don't remember how much a Pentium CPU cost in 1994 off the top of my head, but I'd guess it would have been cheaper than the 16MB RAM you suggested earlier. And both the P90 and P100 were faster than even the DX4-100. Weren't they available in 1994?

Any more lies to share? Feel free to continue to ignore all the parts of peoples' posts where they show you to be completely, utterly wrong, too. :)
  • Salaman 23 Sep 2011 08:44:01 18,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never got far in Alliance. :-(
    I think I failed to rescue uncle Anton or what was his name even though I tried 10 or 20 times and gave up. :-(
  • figgis 23 Sep 2011 08:59:08 7,383 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is he a bit mental?
  • pauleyc 23 Sep 2011 10:52:57 4,444 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nipsen wrote:
    ..really don't feel like playing Tie Fighter or x-wing any more either, when I can play Freespace, or I-War/Edge of Chaos (..or maybe Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, if I'm feeling lazy). Those games have aged well. Tie Fighter maybe didn't. The concept and the way the game works was stuck on the hardware it was made for. See that too well when you play I-War. How two-dimensional Tie Fighter was, that you almost never have to use the 3d map, or think in 3d space.
    Erm...I understand the graphical aspect but stating that Tie Fighter hasn't aged well because of the concept? Did you actually watch Star Wars? Comparing a simplified simulation based on a fantasy film with one incorporating Newtonian physics doesn't really make sense; plus, the flight model in Freespace isn't that different to Tie Fighter.

And what exactly has the hardware to do with anything? X-Wing and Tie Fighter worked perfectly well as far as 3D movement is concerned even in 320x200 VGA resolution. In fact, it's a massive praise that the game was so playable and engaging even in such a low resolution.

I can well see that you might not like Tie Fighter because it isn't as pretty as later games (Gouraud shading instead of textured models is an acquired taste, though it was quite revolutionary in 1994; since Freespace was released in 1999 it would make more sense to compare TF to WC3 as the latter is from same year) but your argumentation seems rather contrived.
  • Tricky 23 Sep 2011 11:25:46 4,361 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I seem to remember being able to run Tie Fighter just fine in SVGA on my DX2/66. No idea if the fact that I had 8MB of RAM helped with that, but it ran fine. That could be my memory playing tricks on me though.

Alliance was all kinds of good - don't understand the hate for that one. Yes, Tie Fighter was better but Alliance was still brilliant, especially with a force feedback stick. The only pisser about it was that it left the story hanging at the end.
  • Rusty_M 23 Sep 2011 11:31:10 4,579 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    I never got far in Alliance. :-(
    I think I failed to rescue uncle Anton or what was his name even though I tried 10 or 20 times and gave up. :-(
    That was a really tough part. As was your first encounter with the rebels. Some great missions in that game. I liked the radio controlled experimental TIEs. It was also cool whenever you were caught out by an interdictor.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 7 First / Last