Path of Exile Page 4

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 07:55:04 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't remember, a few GB - open beta patch tomorrow will include a complete new act though (bringing the total number to three), so nobody really knows at this point. :)
  • Dr.Haggard 22 Jan 2013 08:40:56 4,087 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My PoE directory is currently a mere 4.6 GB, but as Lou says it's anyone's guess how much that will grow with the new act.

I haven't played in ages, really looking forward to tomorrow. I finally got around to stumping up for a kiwi pack the other day too while they're still available.
  • graysonavich 22 Jan 2013 08:44:49 6,802 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No beta wipes is a great marketing idea. Now you have to pre order tomorrow!
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 08:51:17 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually, today is the last day where you can do anything resembling a "pre order". Better get in if you want to brag with a diamond Kiwi. :p

Think it's all cosmetic micro-transactions from tomorrow on, no support packs or anything anymore.
  • Shikasama 22 Jan 2013 08:54:12 6,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I last played this a while ago. I was quite impressed with the overall aesthetics of the game and the setting, but I didn't find the gameplay as tight or engaging as Torchlight 2.

Having said that though, I'm not an avid player of games like these so it could well be that Torchlight is genre-lite and this is more for the hardcore crowd. I thought the skill gems thing was very clever indeed but was hugely disappointing when the 'THOUSANDS OF SKILLS' turned out to be thousands of tiny passive upgrades.
  • graysonavich 22 Jan 2013 09:01:24 6,802 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Path of Exile is completely free to download and play. We never intend to charge for content or access to the released game, but we are happy to offer early Beta access for those who support us during this important time
    oh
  • THFourteen 22 Jan 2013 09:01:29 31,804 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually got bored of Torchlight 2 in the second act. Whilst it started off very strong, something didn't quite click with me, it was too cartoony maybe, and the skills weren't great.

Prefer Diablo 3's style and slightly more gritty nature.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 09:02:36 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's still not quite as tight as TL2 (or D3, for that matter), but it has improved quite a bit in the last months. Also, while the game starts pretty slowly, it becomes really, really, really fast later on, which makes the basic mechanics feel quite different from the beginning.

You're right that the skill tree is just a passive one, but apart from the many tiny upgardes, there's also major passives that fundamenally change your character - stuff like Blood Magic, which removes your mana pool and lets you use health instead. I think it's a pretty clever system - the game lets you experiment with active skills (which becomes quite complex once you also find support gems) all the time, while the passive tree (with no general respecs) determines the general direction of your character.

The support gems are really quite something - you can significantly change the main skills. For example, you can have a main skill "explosive arrow", and combine it with a "multiple arrows" support gem, and suddenly you're shooting explosive arrows in all directions. And you can add further support gems to that. It really is a great fun to experiment with the hundreds of possible combinations. You can even kill yourself if you combine certain gems without carefully reading what they do. :)

It will also let them introduce new skills much more easily than if they used classic skill trees.

Edited by UncleLou at 09:06:30 22-01-2013

Edited by UncleLou at 09:07:14 22-01-2013
  • Shikasama 22 Jan 2013 09:50:05 6,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    More than happy to defer to your experience on this Lou, I'll definitely be giving it another shot..especially as my 'no new games in 2013' doesn't include F2P games!
  • THFourteen 22 Jan 2013 10:00:41 31,804 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the gear more interesting than the Diablo 3 gear lou?
  • spamdangled 22 Jan 2013 10:28:33 27,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Is the gear more interesting than the Diablo 3 gear lou?
    Your gear levels up.

Everything in the skill tree is passive buffs (+1 magic, etc). All your active skills (like fireball spells) are tied to your gear, so you mix and match character builds by swapping out your armour, and those skills get stronger by accumulating XP on that gear as you play.

Edited by darkmorgado at 10:29:06 22-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 10:51:50 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't say the gear levels up - just your gems level up.

I'd say it's definitely more interesting than D3's gear. It's usually not over the top with special skill or something, but for starters, different weapon types feel quite different, and different elemental attacks have different effects. There's also tons of items that let you improve gear, turn normal items into rare ones, change the gem slots on gear, etc. I also really like the art style of the gear.

Two things I don't quite like: no trousers! (like Titan Quest), and, at leats currently, "newbie" gear ges recycled, visually, from a certain point on, so your level 60 character may look more like your level 1 character than he did at level 30. Although this may have been improved in the meantime, I haven't had a high-level character in quite some time, and I guess the new act 3 will add further loot variety.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:52:33 22-01-2013
  • shamblemonkee 22 Jan 2013 11:34:34 14,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The loot / item system is where this game really excels when compared to more recent ARPGs.

There is no gold. It's a barter economy with the currency being anything from gear to items which cna alter gear.

For example there are item drops that can do anything from changing the number of gem slots on gear, re-linking the paths between gem slots, improving the quality of items, upgrading items form normal to magic (or even random rarity, completing wiping an items stats, etc, etc.

skills are on gems of the following types

red - strength
    green - dexterity
    blue - intellect

so you need a relevant coloured slot ot equip a skill. once equipped these level up with you altering their power or function.

weapon types have inherent bonuses, for example swords have an accuracy innate increase, claws leech life on hit, daggers increase global crit rating...

combine all that with a skill tree that (while mostly passives) really requires you to think about your build ot reach the keystones (special passives that cna fundamentally alter game behaviour:- 1hp but immune to chaos damage? never crit but be immune to stun? divert all shield stats to minions) it becomes such a diverse system.

the game starts out quite slowly but by about level 25 you can have enough skills, passives and gear to feel pretty ber and have a decent pace to the combat.

if you go for the dex builds and use stuff like flicker strike, whirling blades, etc you can literally be anywhere you like on the screen almost instantly.

really, bottom line - if you're at all interested in arpg loot-em ups and looking for the true successor to d2 this is as close as you can get to it. it's by no means perfect but it's a damn sight more enjoyable long term than t2 or d3 imo.

i'm just hoping they get aorund to some of the quality of life fixes sooner rather htan later - i.e rebind skils off of middle mouse button and away from qwerty.

i've been playing on and off since june last year and totally caned it these past few weeks working out builds for open beta.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 11:38:41 22-01-2013
  • THFourteen 22 Jan 2013 11:49:07 31,804 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely be trying this out on thursday.

one more question, how does respeccing work? can you respec your character at all?
  • shamblemonkee 22 Jan 2013 12:03:53 14,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you can, but to respec to any great degree will require some considerable play time or a significant amount of trading.

each difficulty play-through you'll get a number of refund points as quest rewards to the tune of about 12?

there's also an item called a 'orb of regret' which can drop from monsters at a rare frequency. this allows you to undo one point spent on your passive skills.

i think there's also a vendor recipe to obtain them but it is quite long winded and requires 'expensive' items.

so in short the intention is to make you consider your investments and for respecs to be possible but not easy.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 12:05:32 22-01-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 13:05:25 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's really more so you can backtrack a little if you picked a major passive you then realize you don't like, but a full respec would probably require more grinding than simply starting a new character. Bear in mind, it's F2P, they want you to stick with it as long as possible, so something like an all too comfortable respeccing can't be expected. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jan 2013 09:31:20 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forum post explaining the open beta patch

Love that they removed one difficulty, it's now normal -> cruel -> merciless
  • shamblemonkee 23 Jan 2013 10:59:29 14,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All sounds great, can't wait. hoping that the servers hold-up.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jan 2013 11:03:44 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thought I'd rename the thread to attract some attention. :)
  • graysonavich 23 Jan 2013 11:07:07 6,802 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I assume there is a hardcore mode yes?
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jan 2013 11:18:35 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup. The nice thing is that HC characters who die are reborn in softcore mode. There was some discussion if that was a good way to handle it, but I think most people agree now that it's a good idea. Doesn't really soften the blow for HC-only players, and makes HC a bit more accessible for "normal" people.

There's also HC events (races) with special rewards.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:21:26 23-01-2013
  • graysonavich 23 Jan 2013 12:35:27 6,802 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Awesome stuff!

Edited by graysonavich at 12:35:47 23-01-2013
  • Dr.Haggard 23 Jan 2013 15:55:32 4,087 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    It's not working :(
  • shamblemonkee 23 Jan 2013 16:07:32 14,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hoping that once OB starts more sites will do features on it. i'll be nolifing this for the next few days :-o
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jan 2013 16:18:48 35,172 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    It's not working :(
    I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve. Look how I subtly point out that there's loot in the game.
  • FanBoysSuck 23 Jan 2013 16:32:20 1,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the heads up, I had a beta key a while back but never used it. I'll get this downloaded on the lappy so I won't go insane when gok wan is on the TV :)

For the emperor!

• the_dudefather 23 Jan 2013 16:37:23 8,976 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want to play the skill tree of this more than the game

It's a bit like diablo or summit?

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Dr.Haggard 23 Jan 2013 16:43:25 4,087 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    hoping that once OB starts more sites will do features on it. i'll be nolifing this for the next few days :-o
    Me too, looking forward to getting stuck in tonight.

Despite playing a fair bit with three classes in the closed beta last year I've never really spent much time researching passive tree and thinking about builds. I'll probably go with a couple of 'on-class' characters, spending passive points in clumps where I feel like it, and if I don't burn out I'll eventually get around to putting more thought into it!

I love the idea of criss-crossing the tree to grab off-class skills and make weird builds, but I do tend to tire of replaying content so I'll just have to see. I wish I had the time and patience to see multiple chars through to high levels just to experiment.

For the record I do think they've taken the right approach to respecs though, I just know I won't see half of what the game has to offer build-wise. That's how RPGs should be though!
  • Dr.Haggard 23 Jan 2013 16:44:32 4,087 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @UncleLou Haha, I think you're getting the message across :D
  • JoeBlade 23 Jan 2013 17:41:10 2,413 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I feel the thread title is trying to tell me something but I can't quite put my finger on it.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last