Xbox 360 controller issue (Sticks)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 12 September 2011 02:38:37
    Hey all

I have had 5 360 controllers in the last year or so and every single one of them has had the same problem. One of the sticks (usually the right side) will sometimes not centre properly and drag to the side/down, which can be quite annoying when you pull up say....the map on fallout and it drags all the way to the side away from your location before you get a look. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to annoy me.

I thought that my Halo/Battlefield sessions were the issue but with my latest controller (the new silver one with the fancy d pad) which I have barely used in the last couple of months (in this time I've played shooters for no more than 10 hours) is now pulling down at times when I'm not holding the right stick. We take very good care of our controllers but the same issue just keeps poppin' up

Anyone else having this problem?
  • Vice.Destroyer 12 Sep 2011 05:06:07 5,836 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not here. But as a word of caution, don't post genuine problems on eurogamer. You won't get a decent answer. Speak to the people that can help. If you have twitter, hit up the guys @xboxsupport, they are actually quite excellent. Describe your problem and they will help. If you don't have twitter, get twitter and hit up the people on @xboxsupport.

Good luck
  • kingcrowbar 12 Sep 2011 05:55:33 917 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine pulls left occasionally, only on 1/4. Also have really squeaky left trigger on one.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2011 08:23:13 24,346 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I get this sometimes too. Like the stick is just a bit off and will cause my character to drift slightly.

However have also seen it on the PS3, but it's a reeeeally old controller, like not even a dual shock. Really must upgrade...

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Sep 2011 08:26:30 38,187 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah my very first 360 drifts to the left very slightly, but then I have had it since 2006. My PS2 pads were bad for this though.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• uiruki 12 Sep 2011 09:20:33 3,702 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got two wireless controllers which do this, including one which practically did it out of the box from my Slim. On the other hand, I also have a wired one which is ancient but fine. Seems to be bad manufacturing tolerances and the luck of the draw.
  • DiamondIce 12 Sep 2011 10:20:16 1,185 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My pad pulls to the left.

Another horrible issue is when they start to show resistance and become quite difficult to make fine movements.

I like the pads but they do wear a bit. Unless I am using them too much of course.

FLOPS! RAM!

• Deleted user 12 September 2011 12:08:22
    Good to know this is a common issue and not something due to how I use them. I will try and contact the xbox support team about it as it really is quite annoying at times.

Thanks for the help guys
  • BizarreK 12 Sep 2011 12:16:28 64 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also have this problem with the right stick for the 360 pad. Got really annoying when hacking Deus Ex HR.
  • lucky_jim 12 Sep 2011 12:21:41 5,296 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had one controller suffer with this (the one that came with the console), but not any of my others so far. A mate of mine also had this with his bundled controller.

It's definitely a more common problem than it should be.
  • Hog-lumps 12 Sep 2011 12:31:56 946 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had this problem on 2 out 4 x box controllers I've had.

Surely there should be some diagnostic/recalibration tool on the dashboard to fix this?
  • THFourteen 12 Sep 2011 12:41:17 33,424 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Not here. But as a word of caution, don't post genuine problems on eurogamer. You won't get a decent answer. Speak to the people that can help. If you have twitter, hit up the guys @xboxsupport, they are actually quite excellent. Describe your problem and they will help. If you don't have twitter, get twitter and hit up the people on @xboxsupport.

Good luck
    harsh. I've had some very good advice here. it's all about how you ask IMO.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Sep 2011 12:44:14 38,187 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seem to remember the Gamecube would set whatever position the analogue stick was in a power on as centre. It could be a pain if you turned the console on and the pad had been placed upside down or covered with magazines or something as that would likely mean the stick was pushed to one side, setting that as centre...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dancingrob 12 Sep 2011 12:47:01 1,170 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @THEfourteen

the where you ask also makes a difference. Had this been posted in 'general', you'd have had all the PS3 trolls out shouting about this being another RROD and MS being evil / shoddy, whilst the Xbox trolls claimed the thread starter didn't actually own an Xbox and was making stuff up to prove the PS3 was better.
  • Deleted user 12 September 2011 13:02:49
    I wanted to return it to shopto (only had it 2 months) but they won't take it without the packaging......which is quite annoying. Plus you can't trust someone to test it properly.

And here's why.....

I took my last one down to GAME (console still under warranty) and encountered the usual elitist PC gamer and his young and in need of a shave assistant manager. I explained to them that the right stick was pulling to the right, but only on certain games with a high sensitvity. So they popped in a copy of PGR4 and decided to test it around the oval track from the start of the game. I stood there trying not to laugh as the PC fella was driving at a full speed saying 'doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong' but finally decided to tell him that the right stick on PGR is only used to look to the side and is not sensitive enough to show the defect. I asked him to put in a FPS (so in went Halo 3) and again hes using the left stick and trying to tell me there's nothing wrong (RIGHT STICK! RIGHT STICK!!!!) so I took the controller off of him and got it to drag only for the manager to say 'if you left it like that you would probably move an inch within the hour'

At this point I was no longer seeing the funny side of their stupidity but decided to humour myself by telling him that the right stick is only used to move the aim and not the character. Anyway they decided to take my controller in to the back and try to fob me off with a used one, which had dust all over it. So I insisted that they gave me one from behind the counter in the packaging.

Nightmare.

Anyway I just called Xbox support and they are going to send me out a new one after I post the faulty one to them.
  • whatthefu 26 Nov 2011 20:29:40 870 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I sadly waited til my warranty expired with GAME. Now im stuck with a pad that drifts and the prospect of playing an FPS isn't appealing.
    I'm using it on the PC, is there not SOME way of extending the deadzone?

If I thought buying a new one would remedy it, I would. But I'm not wasting another 10-20 quid just to have the same problem.

Edited by whatthefu at 20:30:18 26-11-2011
  • ecureuil 26 Nov 2011 20:35:22 76,809 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine does it as well, only on the right stick. It's especially annoying on Skyrim because it'll automatically break locks without you touching the stick. You can tell just by looking at the stick that it's a bit dodgy, it doesn't even snap back to the centre properly.

I couldn't take it back cause I got it when I was on holiday in America, so I just kinda put up with it. It's one of those new ones with the fancy d-pad, so it's not even as if the new controllers are fixed.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Nov 2011 20:41:11 4,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Get a 1 torx screwdriver and diy.
  • ecureuil 26 Nov 2011 20:43:09 76,809 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a guide to fix it, then?
  • whatthefu 26 Nov 2011 20:51:39 870 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah is there?
    Might give it a go
  • Dirtbox 26 Nov 2011 21:02:30 78,185 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Should be something that allows you to tweak the deadzone a bit. The older analogue sticks of all types get, the larger the deadzone needs to be.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Buztafen 28 Nov 2011 11:34:19 16,234 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What really shows the problem up is playing a game on PC with the xbox controller. Its terrible on all my controllers when i tried them out in games like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and Minecraft.

Happened in Dead Island too but you can adjust the deadzone in that game luckily.

Edited by Buztafen at 11:34:50 28-11-2011
  • Bremenacht 11 Dec 2011 13:59:14 18,247 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Both my pads are doing this. I thought it was just me being crap in the past, but recently noticed menu options switching by themselves during RUSE. Damn annoying.

Is the DIY route worthwhile, or are controllers basically knackered when they start doing this? A spot of WD40 seems to make no difference.
  • Vortex808 11 Dec 2011 16:15:36 7,144 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having this to an extent with both my pads. Sadly too much fps'ing means a slow drift forwards.

It's bearable but a light pull to the left on one pads right stick has required more concentration on choppers in bf3.

May invest in a new pad if it gets more pronounced. The pads don't really owe me anything being 5 years old now, but it is a smidge annoying.

Edited by Vortex808 at 16:15:58 11-12-2011
  • ecureuil 26 Sep 2012 17:30:38 76,809 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These controllers are fucking annoying. I have three Xbox controllers, one of them is the one with the improved d-pad, but that also happens to be the one with the worst stick drift problems. I have one with minimal stick drift, but it has the old style d-pad, which I find extremely unreliable and presses the wrong direction as much as the right one. I've got a torx screwdriver to open the controller up, and the housing for the d-pad is ever so slightly different so you can't swap the d-pad out.

Edited by ecureuil at 17:30:59 26-09-2012
  • Rodriguez 26 Sep 2012 18:01:52 1,094 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    These controllers are fucking annoying. I have three Xbox controllers, one of them is the one with the improved d-pad, but that also happens to be the one with the worst stick drift problems. I have one with minimal stick drift, but it has the old style d-pad, which I find extremely unreliable and presses the wrong direction as much as the right one. I've got a torx screwdriver to open the controller up, and the housing for the d-pad is ever so slightly different so you can't swap the d-pad out.
    Yeah, it's pretty shitty. I have had the drift problem on all my pads bar one I own and that is amazingly an original one I got with my first 360 back in Jan'06!? I actually think the original pad feels better built too - the buttons are much more 'clicky', feel less spongy and are less squeaky than later models I've owned, though I'm not aware of any major changes in the manufacturing so perhaps it's just luck??

The drift problem isn't confined to older, well used pads like some suggest either. I've had brand new ones doing it straight out of the box, to much frustration. I said before in another thread ages ago, it would be nice if MS released a simple controller calibration software tool through the xbox dash, though I doubt they'd give two shits about doing that now though. I just hope the 'nextbox' has more sturdy sticks as the design is otherwise excellent.
  • Tryhard 26 Sep 2012 18:12:27 3,973 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The best pad I had was the Mad Catz Black Ops one for stick accuracy,only the RB buttons kept breaking.A sad state of affairs.

Every M$ controller I have had starts to drift to the left after awhile.

They really need someone to design a quality well designed pad for gamers.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Sep 2012 18:19:48 22,948 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is a well designed pad, they just wear like all electronics.

The Grumpy Vaper

• ecureuil 26 Sep 2012 19:45:26 76,809 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My latest 360 pad had stick drift from the moment I took it out the packaging. It's not caused by wear (at least not all instances), they're just poorly manufactured.
  • jabberwoky 4 Oct 2012 20:09:06 522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, if it makes you feel better, my two are fine, have been for years.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous