SkyDrift

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • gribbley 11 Sep 2011 09:19:04 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's been vexing me these past few days that no one seems to be talking about or reviewing SkyDrift. I took a random punt on it earlier this week and I've been loving it ever since. Wrote a reader's review of it to try and make the point.

Even metacritic isn't really tracking much in the way of coverage, though what's there does at least seem positive. Crying shame, we need people to be rewarded for making stuff like this so we can get more of it.
  • Syrette 11 Sep 2011 10:03:35 43,232 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's decent. Might get it in the future.

• brseg 11 Sep 2011 10:14:57 679 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didn't realise it was out, will try it later. Trailer looked decent. Almost no reviews for this, like you say.
    1200 pts might be pushing it, 800 is always a better number...
  • MontyBrewster 11 Sep 2011 10:28:59 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that's the problem, tried it out the other day and it's a fun little game which would be a no brainer at a cheaper price.

Unfortunately it hasn't sold well so online's already dead and there's even less incentive to buy it, hopefully it'll get a price drop soon.
  • muttler 11 Sep 2011 11:07:17 3,972 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I could really go for a fun arcade racer like this, shame no ones getting it.

Perhaps we could start playing Hydro Thunder again?!
  • gribbley 11 Sep 2011 12:00:16 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the reference to Hydro Thunder is a tremendously pertinent one. That seemed to sell pretty well and I still fire it up and play it a few times a month and yet I think SkyDrift is the better game.

Both are excellent arcade games that've been designed to work within the context of online play but I think SkyDrift's lobbies are going to remain empty and it's damned vexing.

I think the 1200 points comment is very valid as well. Given the complete lack of advertising for it, people are going to be much more wary about taking a punt on it. Plus the demo is one of the old fashioned ones that offers very little in the way of gameplay.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2011 12:23:37
    I tried the demo today off PSN, and it is quite fun (and am tempted to buy it for 8 iirc).

However the realistic graphics style is wrong for the game production level imo (see Monkey Target from banana blitz).

It is also quite expensive considering the red bull Air race (time trial) in PS Home was(is?) free, and the game isn't going to fully hit the high notes(physics, graphics, variation, learning curve) or have the campaign length or online support of Motorstorm Pacific rift (which went platinum ages ago) and probably the yardstick for this type of game.

At 4 or 5 I'd probably buy.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2011 12:46:26
    The demo for this made it seem way too dumbed down, even though I was hugely excited for a flying race + dogfight game.
  • gribbley 11 Sep 2011 13:03:03 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See, this is where I think it's really going to suffer. In gameplay terms I think you could say it's a little similar to a cross between Mario Kart and something like Galaxy Force.

Yes, it's not a dogfighter as such, but with the banking mechanic and stunts acting as an analogy to the smoke-boost skidding in MK and the weapons having some, but admittedly not all of the subtlety of MK as well, plus a very definite Sega coin-op visual style, I think it's got a lot going for it but the demo doesn't really sell that.

If it were to stand any chance of succeeding, it would need positive reviews and press and for some reason it's not had any of that at all. Makes me sad, because I'd love to be fighting it out in full lobbies online. In a lot of ways it reminds of how Blur tanked hugely at retail, but even that had a weight of publicity behind it
  • brseg 11 Sep 2011 15:40:05 679 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tried it. Its OK. Very good production values.

Weapons etc same as Blur I think. Thing is, you're doing a lot of other stuff just to keep on the circuit, it feels a little cumbersome. For me, the circuits are too tight. Quite fun, but not 1200 pts fun. (edit - played offline only).
  • pkclavain 11 Sep 2011 16:23:43 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is a fantastic game, very polished and really fun once you learn how to navigate some of the tracks. Even with only a few other racers in an online game its quite exciting. I think the mistake they made is not allowing you to join a lobby where theres a game in progress. You have to keep quitting and re - searching in order to hit a lobby thats waiting to start.
    Like you say its a real shame it hasn't had more coverage. Also a pretty bad time of year to bring this out with all the new retail games on the way. Couple of months ago would have been perfect.
  • Scimarad 11 Sep 2011 16:57:22 8,535 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never heard of this before now. It's probably the closest I'm going to get to a modern version of NGen Racing by the look of it.
  • alasdairm 12 Sep 2011 09:01:13 154 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loved NGen racing on the PS 1 - great maps and an awesome soundtrack by Matt Darey - I even ripped the music from the game CD to iTunes !!
  • andytheadequate 12 Sep 2011 09:34:38 8,108 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have both Blur and Hydro Thunder, not sure why I would need this for 1200 really...

Does look quite fun though
  • brseg 16 Sep 2011 12:07:48 679 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got a very brief review in the download section. 7/10
  • Scimarad 16 Sep 2011 18:14:55 8,535 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I suspect I'd get bored of it very quickly judging by the demo:(
  • asha 8 Jan 2013 00:15:45 1,991 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Steam version of this game is just 64p in the Gala store right now!

It's not an outstanding game, but for that insanely low price it's an instant-buy in my humble opinion.

Edited by asha at 00:30:33 08-01-2013

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next