Unofficial Eurogamer Android App V2 Page 5

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• Deleted user 13 September 2011 19:05:49
    I'd just like to extend the thanks for this app. See, reading Eurogamer on the stock browser is a right pain on my Desire HD, and the old app crashed everytime I accidently hit a link or left my finger on the screen for more than 0.2 of a second. It was great at work today to be able to whip out my phone and check for forum updates in seconds. Less chance of the wrath of the boss now. It will no doubt be my most used app! ;)
  • Pinky_Floyd 13 Sep 2011 19:18:51 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm loving it :)

Really need that page wheel or drop down though, I'm at page 100 of a 250 page thread and i had to abandon the app and go to the full site.

That's your top feature for the next release ;)
  • Blaketown 13 Sep 2011 19:53:40 4,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Couple of things:

I am getting a weird mashup of threads quite often using this.

Here's a screen grab of what claims to be the random musing thread but all of the posts, barring the let one (I think) are from the champions league thread, which was the last one I visited.

Anyone else getting this?

Also, Swype is obscuring the Preview and Post buttons so I have to hide the keyboard in order to submit my post.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Sharzam 13 Sep 2011 22:28:52 2,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great app, however i have found if i refresh the 'headlines' then it seams to shift all down.

For example i select the top headline but it pulls up the third one down, which was the prevous top before the refresh. This appears to only be a problem when manually refreshing but does mean i cannot read the latest headlines if i want to.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• i5killz 14 Sep 2011 01:29:50 3 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    freakybun wrote:
    Update

The kind developers at EG took time out to give me access to their API yesterday.

The good news is most of the stuff will map directly onto my objects without much if any modification.

Its going to take a little while cause, for those of you that develop, I'm a test first Guy and writing tests takes longer than writing the actual code. Less bugs is the outcome though.

But from time to time I do write stuff that's not tested, the text entry for example, because you're learning. This is, by the way, my first Ui android project.

The plan now is to integrate the API for release 2, handle the bugs for release 3 then do some cool stuff.

Thanks for the feedback, it's invaluable. So keep it coming.
    You plan to release this on the market?
    I don't usually come to the forums, so I'm a bit concerned that I will miss out on an update in the near future.

Keep up the good work.
  • warlockuk 14 Sep 2011 18:25:23 19,134 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a pretty good app tbh :) Nice work!

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• motti82 14 Sep 2011 18:35:39 2,864 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Couple of things:

Also, Swype is obscuring the Preview and Post buttons so I have to hide the keyboard in order to submit my post.

Edited by Blaketown at 20:55:54 13-09-2011

agreed, swype does block off the post icon, small gripes as overall the app is excellent.
  • freakybun 14 Sep 2011 18:48:27 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    Great app, however i have found if i refresh the 'headlines' then it seams to shift all down.

For example i select the top headline but it pulls up the third one down, which was the prevous top before the refresh. This appears to only be a problem when manually refreshing but does mean i cannot read the latest headlines if i want to.
    This is the same bug others are reporting but I've so far failed to track down... until now :)

When you refresh, the click handler keeps a reference to the old list. Easy to update and a big slap on my wrist for using an anonymous class.

Will be fixed when API is integrated. For now, can I ask you all quit the app and relaunch to refresh the home page!
  • freakybun 14 Sep 2011 18:50:42 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Couple of things:

Edited by Blaketown at 20:55:54 13-09-2011
    agreed, swype does block off the post icon, small gripes as overall the app is excellent.
    You're right, it is a pain. Ill probably move the icons and do a bit more reading on the input framework so its done properly. I did rush that widget a bit to get this thing out.
  • freakybun 14 Sep 2011 18:53:18 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i5killz wrote:
    freakybun wrote:
    Update

The kind developers at EG took time out to give me access to their API yesterday.

The good news is most of the stuff will map directly onto my objects without much if any modification.

Its going to take a little while cause, for those of you that develop, I'm a test first Guy and writing tests takes longer than writing the actual code. Less bugs is the outcome though.

But from time to time I do write stuff that's not tested, the text entry for example, because you're learning. This is, by the way, my first Ui android project.

The plan now is to integrate the API for release 2, handle the bugs for release 3 then do some cool stuff.

Thanks for the feedback, it's invaluable. So keep it coming.
    You plan to release this on the market?
    I don't usually come to the forums, so I'm a bit concerned that I will miss out on an update in the near future.

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers! This app will eventually make it on the market place but to be realistic that's probably a good month or two off. Got I've
    lots to do bugs to fix and an API to integrate.

I will update the front page of this thread when the next update is done.

I'm thinking if setting up a page on something like rally so you can track my progress
  • mrpon 15 Sep 2011 21:05:34 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    freaky, square brackets are being ignored by the app.

See my post in the Uncharted thread here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=94514&start=1380

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• freakybun 15 Sep 2011 22:10:58 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    freaky, square brackets are being ignored by the app.

See my post in the Uncharted thread here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_post...
    Woops, that'll teach me to replace them wholesale for HTML brackets when converting forum markup. Thanks for the eagle eye.
  • Pinky_Floyd 15 Sep 2011 23:01:26 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Freakybun, when you are on the last page of multiple comments pages there is no previous button.  I think.  Let me double check.....
  • Pinky_Floyd 15 Sep 2011 23:03:31 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, needs a previous page button! Keep up the good work fella.
  • Pinky_Floyd 15 Sep 2011 23:06:28 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also in the gears of war 3 comments page before last there is a next button, but no previous button, that's an odd one! Think its comments 150-200, check it out :)
  • mrpon 15 Sep 2011 23:09:06 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How much was our going rate again Pinky? ;)

• Pinky_Floyd 15 Sep 2011 23:10:28 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    How much was our going rate again Pinky? ;)
    I'm doing it for love mate! ;)
  • Pinky_Floyd 15 Sep 2011 23:12:36 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe freakybun will mention the finest beta testers in his credits? Fame at last. Who needs an ISEB foundation certificate in software testing when you can add that to your CV!
  • freakybun 16 Sep 2011 18:34:09 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Also in the gears of war 3 comments page before last there is a next button, but no previous button, that's an odd one! Think its comments 150-200, check it out :)
    I really need to sort out comments navigation. It was one of the first things I worked on and never went back to it. I will figure out a way to do it properly soon.

Been taking a break from things this week but I'm hoping to steal an afternoon over the weekend to nail how the API is going to fit in.

... Around Zelda on the 3ds, its been such a long time since 1997 its lovely to go back in hardly remembering anything past the opening half an hour :)

<  >
  • mrpon 19 Sep 2011 19:28:02 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got a Force Close message trying to go back a page on the Shadow Complex thread.

"The application Eurogamer (process com.squidge.eurogamer) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Tapping Force Close returns to the thread category screen.

• freakybun 19 Sep 2011 21:24:58 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Just got a Force Close message trying to go back a page on the Shadow Complex thread.

"The application Eurogamer (process com.squidge.eurogamer) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Tapping Force Close returns to the thread category screen.
    That's the first force close I've seen, which is good cause I was wondering if when it might happen... it inevitable!

I'll double check for exceptions I might not be strict on.

However I expect its a bit of forum markup I'm not dealing with.. do you remember what page?
  • freakybun 19 Sep 2011 21:28:48 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No need to tell me, just tried it, FC. Will debug tonight.

Ahhh, you guys and your filthy forum markup... no wonder I put "here be dragons" in my test cases.

Snakehips76 closed not one but 2 quote tags without opening any. My forum post renderer didn't know what on earth to do, so it added the text to a non existent parent. Bang!

Interestingly I've been ripping up all the forum markup code today. None of it is tested, hence the error.

Good news is I slotted the new tested code in place and it fixed it.

I've also removed all the weird newline issue with the editor as well, yay!

Ooh, I should mention that I spent Sunday afternoon plugging in the API, after a bit of refactoring last week it slid in easily.
  • mrpon 19 Sep 2011 22:17:32 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good work fella. It's the only bug I've come across so far and it gets a lot of use.

• freakybun 19 Sep 2011 22:29:07 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now then.

Groups

How do you want to view them?

I put the API in at the weekend and groups and interesting threads come for free...

I now have two new categories on the forums tab. My Groups and My Interesting.

When you click on groups it shows a list of the threads for all the groups you have joined. Ordered by last updated.

Does that work for you all?
  • mrpon 19 Sep 2011 22:51:28 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is exactly how the iOS EG app works and I don't recall any complaints.

• kadooosh 20 Sep 2011 19:19:02 1,321 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ive had an issue today on the news page, when im selecting a link eg footage of gears midnight opening, it opens the link below, in this case resi 4 footage ..
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Sep 2011 19:22:08 7,496 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kadooosh wrote:
    Ive had an issue today on the news page, when im selecting a link eg footage of gears midnight opening, it opens the link below, in this case resi 4 footage ..
    Known issue. Restart the app for a temp fix.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 20 Sep 2011 19:25:00 1,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Top work. Dunno if been mentioned but search feature in forum?

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Blaketown 20 Sep 2011 19:47:36 4,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How exciting. Now the only difference between the way I use the app and the main side is going to be the lack of All Gaming and All Non-Gaming views. And I can live with that. You really appear to be doing a top job fb. \o/

Brap, brap, old chap.

• freakybun 20 Sep 2011 19:58:50 601 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Top work. Dunno if been mentioned but search feature in forum?
    Sadly that's not a feature of the API at present, so I can't really do it.

Might become available one day, but not today.
  • Page

of 51 First / Last