Support Resident Evil Outbreak Campaign Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • LionheartDJH 10 Sep 2011 23:03:42 19,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Reuc wrote:

We simply registered here to reach to those that could be interested by our campaign, simple as that. Also, reread what was said above about the Capcom not caring anymore part and for the last part of your post, we're not spending 24h/24 on this, are you crazy or what? We're fully aware we don't have a lot of chances of having our goal happening but it's not impossible.

Fair enough, you are more switched on than I gave you credit for, so I apologise. I've said my bit and I'll leave you to it, still don't think you'll get far but good luck all the same I guess!

She dives for cheese pasties

• supermaow 11 Sep 2011 00:47:03 12 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Reuc, its quite obvious that you're yet another Outbreak chuckle-fuck who lives in La-la land, where meaningless petitions and a few endorsements by people who have no power to grant you what you want, mean something. Outbreak is dead. End of story. You're more pathetic than those Wesker fangirls who argue night and day that he didn't really die in RE5. Or the people who moan about RE being action oriented.
  • deadwalking12345 4 Oct 2011 22:37:37 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I support outbreak, and supermaow you are one pissed off little 10 year old arn't ya? XD jesus dude! it's something they (me included) want, you dont need to be a part of it. Your acting like a person who would kill some one in the middle of a court room because they think differently from you. XD i find this article amusing. that, and there is only one (maybe 2 or 3) troll(s) here! LionheartDJH your fine because you appoligized for sounding like a troll (no offense)

Fair enough, you are more switched on than I gave you credit for, so I apologise. I've said my bit and I'll leave you to it, still don't think you'll get far but good luck all the same I guess!

and supermaow, just XD. attacking every one i see;

Reuc, its quite obvious that you're yet another Outbreak chuckle-fuck who lives in La-la land, where meaningless petitions and a few endorsements by people who have no power to grant you what you want, mean something. Outbreak is dead. End of story. You're more pathetic than those Wesker fangirls who argue night and day that he didn't really die in RE5. Or the people who moan about RE being action oriented.

Edited by supermaow at 18:33:16 11-09-2011

• Machetazo 4 Oct 2011 22:53:31 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd support a Resident Evil Outreach Campaign, where the gaming populace masses to write Capcom all about returning Resident Evil to focus again, closer to 1&2. :) I don't knock 4, neither do I think it's a bad game, but that reinvention then caused 5 and that caused tears.
  • jplarkins 6 Oct 2011 01:36:35 39 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Some of my best online moments came from Outbreak 2, flawed but trememndous fun in my eyes
  • spamdangled 6 Oct 2011 01:38:33 27,355 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I played the modern version of Outbreak this evening. It's called Left 4 Dead and its a shit-ton better than anything Capcom have done with the brand in around half a decade.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• deadwalking12345 6 Oct 2011 22:02:52 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago

I think this guy is trying to find out how the server system for outbreak works and he his trying to fix it so you can make your very own server, he has a whole blog on based on his findings:

http://residenteviloutbreakserver.blogspot.com/
  • deadwalking12345 6 Oct 2011 22:03:57 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    deadwalking12345 wrote:

I think this guy is trying to find out how the server system for outbreak works and he his trying to fix it so you can make your very own server, he has a whole blog on based on his findings:

first page was wrong, this is right one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5V27rzqWE
  • deadwalking12345 6 Oct 2011 22:06:17 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    deadwalking12345 wrote:
    deadwalking12345 wrote:

first page was wrong, this is right one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc5V27rzqWE

dis guy too :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0EfNrGviFU&feature=related
  • Kami 6 Oct 2011 23:19:54 2,435 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Outbreak was a good idea done badly with no conviction, thought or care. Easy as that.

Since then, we've got co-op games like Left4Dead and Dead Island.

I love Resident Evil. I even loved the Outbreak titles. But I wouldn't play them online, and I wouldn't exactly recommend it was resurrected. Far from it, the Outbreak series was a literal dead end for the old franchise style, in much the same way Resident Evil 5 is a literal dead end for it now - there is no-where to grow with it, no-where to take it. Outbreak, and by token File 2, told a chunk of mini-stories, but rather than stay with the first game - of escape, they felt they could piledrive in a "lost chapters". It never sodding works. There's a reason sometimes "lost chapters" are lost - it's because they weren't good enough.

A new online Resident Evil would have to be a step up from what we have now, and I'm not sure Capcom have the talent in their studios to think so outside the box (especially now Dead Island has kind of moved into the market and stolen a chunk of land). Maybe, dare I say it, we may not have the power in our current generation of consoles to power such a game should they come up with the idea anyway, it'd end up a real next-gen project.

I do think Outbreak should be preserved though, and I think yes, there should be some fan servers out there to connect to. The simple fact people still play the first AvP PC game, and Quake 2, says volumes about that. Letting the fans run the game at least keeps the memory of it going, so on that front I think Capcom should just let it go.

And then focus their attentions on where the hell they're taking the series next, because I have a sinking feeling - like so much of Capcom's work lately - Operation: Raccoon City will be another nice idea, but a technical and literal dead end for the franchise - I mean, you're supposed to have an option to kill Leon in that timeline. Who is the star of Resi 4. Fucks sake, anyone who has even watched Doctor Who for 30 seconds can tell you that in all the wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey paradox bollocks, that is a VERY bad idea.

Capcom need to have a direction. I fear the problem is, right now they're not looking at their games long-term, more as a short-term profit muncher. To really kick-start a franchise, or keep one going, you have to think two or three games ahead and then plot how and where you take it in that path.

Right now, I don't think Capcom know what meal they're serving in their canteen tomorrow...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• supermaow 7 Oct 2011 06:27:35 12 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The difference between games like Quake 2 and Outbreak, is that Quake 2 was actually good.
  • Kami 7 Oct 2011 07:39:59 2,435 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Outbreak was good. It just wasn't great.

Conceptually, the idea was ahead of its time. Small, episodic adventures with more of a whiff of the movies about them, driven by a loose story of survival. It was very Resident Evil, very of its time, the only problem is the first game wasn't universally online everywhere, and the second game was so cheesy and cliche that it felt less Lost Episodes and more "Stages we cut because you would have shouted at us". It was laggy. It was restrictive in comms. Dare I say it, with Resident Evil 4 out when File 2 was doing the rounds, it was competing with a much better installment of the same franchise. Which, in business terms, was a daft decision.

Outbreak still has ideas and concepts that most wouldn't dare try today. Having to defend someone pushing a car, for example, was a good idea. And hell, the zombie zoo of File 2 WAS something to be noted, and enjoyed (if only because of the zombie elephant!). But it was conceptually killed before it had even had a chance to bloom.

By that I mean, the story was finished in the first game. The whole concept of Outbreak was of a bunch of rag-tag survivors trying to escape the zombie apocalypse, by escaping the city (and therefore that big bad nuke that makes every happy zombie go boom). There was no smart design decision to really take it anywhere, no overarching design ethos. It was a throwaway idea that became more throwaway in File 2, when they took the idea of Lost Episodes to a length that perhaps should have been left alone.

My point is this; whilst a good game (and File 2 was average, but okay), Capcom didn't really view this variation as anything more than a creative dead-end. There was no intention to really make it better - if it was released now, I'd say we'd be in a different place, what with patching and continued support and the ease of networks, but it'd still only stop after File 2. There's no-where to take it, the story is done and over.

I love that fans want to keep it alive. But I fear that because we're all now so used to regular patching, stable networks and less lag (and I still believe a lot of the slowdown and lag in the Outbreak games was from shoddy programming!), keeping it alive without the ability to actually change the product is a wasted effort.

It was of a time. I do agree fans should be given a chance to keep it going - but unless fans can actually fix the bugs that were in the games, it's doomed to repeating the same mistakes, over and over and over.

Again, Outbreak was good. It just wasn't great. And that is always a problem...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next