Amusing Skylanders Spyro Preview.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 8 September 2011 17:54:34
    A rather impassioned, and highly entertaining preview of the upcoming multi-platform title, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, can be found at the following link:

Why Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures is a Terrible Game by André Bardin.
    Description_here

There's a new Spyro the Dragon game coming out soon, maybe you've heard of it. It's called Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures and it has been met with nothing but contempt and unrefined hatred from Spyro fans. In a daring demonstration of poor judgment, a white knight has appeared defending the game from naysayers and has issued a challenge for a coherent counter-argument against the release of the game. You know what I'm about to do.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2011 17:57:13 37,301 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seem to remember one of the guys from Giant Bomb saying they quite enjoyed the preview build they played.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 8 September 2011 18:00:04
    We don't get enough posters from Qatar. Hello friend.
  • ghearoid 8 Sep 2011 19:31:45 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, they've fucked up Spryo good and proper. Shameful!
  • uiruki 8 Sep 2011 19:41:27 3,656 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But... but...

it's by Toys For Bob.

edit: He actually says 'Who the fuck is Toys For Bob', which proves that his opinion is completely worthless. Added on to the horrendous meme-filled writing style, it's hard to take it seriously, irrespective of the actual quality of the game.
  • GloatingSwine 11 Sep 2011 23:16:46 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think all we need to consider about this game is that "Spyro" looks like he's been involved in a terrible car accident.

And, of course that the Spyro games have all been dribbly shit since Insomniac stopped making them, and there's no reason to think this will be different.
  • Grump 25 Oct 2011 12:24:38 1,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought the PS3 starter pack for my daughter yesterday and it actually turns out to be quite good fun. As a platformer it's as basic as one can get but hey - it's been designed for kids. Overall it looks and plays very well and the soundtrack it great (Hans Zimmer I think). Setting up is easy peasy and switching characters is almost instantaneous. The little portal the Skylanders use to enter the world has a really cool glow to it and the colour matches whichever Skylander you've selected.

It's definitely been designed to extract as much cash from parents as possible - some content is locked off unless you have the required Skylander. These cost about £7 each - and there are 32 to collect overall (ouch). They are nice though - the feel really well made and look good enough to arrange on display when not being played with.

With the right marketing behind it this could end up being a top seller this year (for toys not computer games).
  • roz123 25 Oct 2011 12:34:09 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeh the good reviews have surprised me and it seems like some versions are very different from each other as well.
  • DaM 25 Oct 2011 12:38:13 12,887 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Yeh the good reviews have surprised me and it seems like some versions are very different from each other as well.
    Me too, I was all set to deny my 7yr old it for Christmas on the grounds that it would be rubbish, but on Metacritic it was getting about 80%.....

Anyone got it then? What version is the best?
  • DaM 25 Oct 2011 12:41:44 12,887 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Grump - Is it just a basic platformer then? No RPG elements?
  • Grump 25 Oct 2011 12:44:59 1,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got the PS3 version over the 360 simply because the PS3 portal connects via wifi. The 360 one connects via a cable.

The Skylanders themselves will work across all platforms. As your character levels up or collects money/equipment this is all saved to the toy rather than the console. You can then take that toy over to a friends place and it will carry over all the info regardless of what platform the are playing on.

@DaM - there are RPG elements but very basic. I haven't played enough to find our how deep it goes but my understanding is that you can upgrade certain attacks/weapons and maybe get new ones. I think the level cap is 10.

Edited by Grump at 12:48:59 25-10-2011
  • Grump 27 Oct 2011 11:56:45 1,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't help myself - bought the 3DS version as well :). It seems to be getting really good reviews (at least 9/10) on the few sites that have reviewed it.It's also supposed to be a very different game from the main console versions.

The great thing is that I now have 6 Skylanders (Spyro, Dark Spyro, Stealth Elf,Ignitor, Trigger Happy and Gill Grunt) to use across both versions of the game.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Oct 2011 12:12:51 37,301 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's been funny listening to the Giant Bombcast. Jeff Gerstmann is totally addicted and has bought all the figures currently available including the variants. That's a lot of money!

• the_dudefather 27 Oct 2011 13:15:03 9,178 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DDevil - He needs something to fill the void after Game room stopped being updated :)

would be fun to see a couple more skylanders videos from GB

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Deleted user 31 December 2011 11:17:25
    I can see this craze costing me a lot of money :(

My lad's convinced this is the "best game ever" and has just gone and spent £23 on 3 characters from Toys r Us.

This is the X360 version, complete with a "portal" device for operating the little characters. Installing it to HD now, this could be a painful hour or so :'(
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 31 Dec 2011 11:35:13 37,301 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't forget the portal can be plugged into the PC to play their little flash game. Sorta MMO kinda thing.

• morriss 31 Dec 2011 11:45:45 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's really good. Well thought out, nice RPG-elements, unlockables, story's ok nice gfx.

Really glad I bought it for the boy.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2011 12:02:35
    I'm actually quite surprised at how decent it seems tbh. It helps he's got about 15 characters already I guess.

Didn't know about the PC flash game - will get him to have a look at that later on, cheers.
  • SteJosh 14 Jan 2012 14:12:52 220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoy this game more than the kids and im 26... the figures are costing me loads tho :( (XBOX360 version)

Edited by SteJosh at 14:14:04 14-01-2012
  • HitchHiker 14 Jan 2012 14:49:16 2,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Our daughter keeps going on about this but it's £50 just to get started and it doesn't seem to be coming down. Popped into Game and one of the assistants told us that the figures are getting harder to come by and people are buying up supplies of them to sell on eBay.

He also said that a completely new batch of figures is due to be released shortly.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next