Assassin's Creed...where to start?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • varsas 5 Sep 2011 16:19:58 2,401 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought a PS3 a while after the first game was released and with the mixed reviews I'm wondering whether it's worth playing? The reviews of the the 2nd game are much better and since I already have an idea of the big twist it seems like that might be a better point to start the series. Thoughts?
  • the_dudefather 5 Sep 2011 16:26:06 9,196 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, skip right to the second one, far, far better

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• DUFFMAN5 5 Sep 2011 16:26:17 14,393 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My order of favs:

Bro-in-the-hood
    II
    AC

I would play all 3 mind you, all great games in their own right.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Blerk Moderator 5 Sep 2011 16:26:56 48,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really liked the first one, despite the many complaints. I'd still start there.
  • JayG 5 Sep 2011 16:28:13 833 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never played the first one, went straight to the 2nd one even though I got the entire set off steam, and had no problems.
  • senso-ji 5 Sep 2011 16:28:17 5,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IMO play them in the order they were originally released. The story is kind of complicated, and probably won't make much sense if you play them out of order. Yes the first one lacks variety, but it is shorter than the other ones and will get you used to the free roaming and parkour aspects of the game quickly.
  • AcidSnake 5 Sep 2011 16:29:13 7,214 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a bit samey, but still not a waste of time IMO...Recently did the same thing, now on II and enjoying it much more...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• L_Franko Moderator 5 Sep 2011 16:31:56 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tempted by Brohood as I saw it in ASDA for 15 but I never made it to the end of the second game as I got a little bored.
  • kalel 5 Sep 2011 16:32:15 86,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first one was ok at the time, but I really cant see much point in playing it now when there are two other very similar yet much better games out.

Id personally skip straight to the third imho. One AC game was more than enough for me, so might as well play the best one.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 5 Sep 2011 16:34:29 10,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The first is very much a prototype for the follow-ups. It got the atmosphere and world spot on but just didn't have enough toys to fill it with.

Still worth a playthrough. Like senso-ji suggests, the overall story arch is touched on in all 3. Both AC2 and Brotherhood nod back to the first.

If you've got the time on your hands, go for them all. Be wary of playing the first in long play sessions as it is quite repetitive.
  • AcidSnake 5 Sep 2011 16:37:37 7,214 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're not bothered about the trophies (if it has them) I'd suggest assassinating as soon as you know where your target is, instead of hunting down all info (which is practically useless anyway)...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Whizzo 5 Sep 2011 16:37:47 43,033 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I really liked the first one, despite the many complaints. I'd still start there.
    Same here, although drunks/mentals and not being able to swim get really annoying.

This space left intentionally blank.

• psychokitten Moderator 5 Sep 2011 16:39:50 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first is worth a play through, just don't do all the extra "missions" and stuff, just do the bare minimum to be able to get to an assassination, the repetitiveness will bore you otherwise.
  • kalel 5 Sep 2011 16:40:54 86,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seriously can't see the point of playing the first one, when the others are the same but much better. Unless you're really desperate for something to play anyway.
  • varsas 5 Sep 2011 16:42:05 2,401 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know Brotherhood follows on directly from 2 so it seems sensible to play those in order but I'm just concerned about how influential the story in 1 is to the latter ones; will I really miss something by not playing it?

For example, I have Yakuza 3 on PS3 and know that I could probably skip the other 2 as my friend did but I was already 80% through 1 on the PS2 so I will definitely finish that and 2 before getting to part 3.

Does anyone remember how long they took to get through the first AC?
  • rudedudejude 5 Sep 2011 16:42:19 2,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you wish to be a true Assassino then you need to start at number 1.
  • kalel 5 Sep 2011 16:43:37 86,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read the plot synoposis on Wkipeadia.
  • oceanmotion 5 Sep 2011 16:48:44 15,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The first one was ok at the time, but I really cant see much point in playing it now when there are two other very similar yet much better games out.

Id personally skip straight to the third imho. One AC game was more than enough for me, so might as well play the best one.

I just played the second one because I imagined it being more refined and I really don't want to be annoyed or bored playing a game. It also got good gamer feedback so that sold me more as well.

ACII was enough for me, I'll consider another one when they give it a good upgrade.
  • TheJackKetch 5 Sep 2011 16:49:25 3 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently playing II at the moment without playing the original and don't feel I've missed out on much tbh.
  • andytheadequate 5 Sep 2011 16:49:40 8,076 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The stories are shit in all three games. I'd recommend playing AC2 first, far more enjoyable than 1 (which was shit) and I struggled with Brotherhood
  • AcidSnake 5 Sep 2011 16:50:42 7,214 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'd take about 8 to 9 hours if you just do the bare minimum I think...

• psychokitten Moderator 5 Sep 2011 17:01:57 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I enjoyed the first more than a lot of other people did, but yeah it's true that 2 is more enjoyable. If you do skip 1, just read a synopsis so you know the story/mechanic in brief.

Still haven't gotten round to Brotherhood though, since I lent it to someone who has held onto it for far too long :/
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 5 Sep 2011 17:02:49 10,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And listen to the soundtrack whilst reading the synopsis. Really helps set the scene :o)
  • graysonavich 5 Sep 2011 17:12:57 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're all teh same fucking game
  • NunianVonFuch 5 Sep 2011 17:18:32 87 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haven't played Ass Bro yet but the Assassination missions in the first were far better than the 2nd. 2nd ones were far too easy and scripted, whereas in the first you had to plan your means of attack more and try to be super-stealthy. 2nd one I thought was a bit of a joke in that regard, seeing as you were more of a psycho than assassin, just wading into swordfights willy-nilly and slaughtering oodles of guards.

Both great games and the sidequests in the first are crap, but I'd recommend trying number one anyway as it can be got for next to nothing and if it's pants ebay'll take it off your hands again for more or less the same price you paid.
  • dogbot 5 Sep 2011 17:18:45 2,272 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    I think I enjoyed the first more than a lot of other people did, but yeah it's true that 2 is more enjoyable. If you do skip 1, just read a synopsis so you know the story/mechanic in brief.

This.

I really enjoyed the first one, but then generally, they're about my sort of pace.

2 is a much better experience, though, most of the issues ironed out and an improve control mechanism. Brotherhood is ace, too.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 17:20:41
    I didn't play AC1 and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. Certainly play AC2 before Brotherhood though I'd say.
  • Scimarad 5 Sep 2011 17:22:47 8,530 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd go straight to AC2. If I'd known how much better it was than the first game I wouldn't have waited so long to play it. Of course, I did get it cheap because I waited so long but that's not the point...
  • semtex03 5 Sep 2011 17:24:38 168 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started with 2 then started on 1 before Brotherhood came out. Finished 2 and Brotherhood but struggled a bit getting in to 1 - it just seemed a bit flat after playing 2.

You don't miss much, story wise, for skipping the first one.
  • SilentTristero 5 Sep 2011 17:32:24 291 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you ever want to play I, it's essential you do so before trying the others. II is like a full meal to I's light snack.

I recommend burning through it first, if you're interested in the story at all. You'll also appreciate the depth and improvements of II much, much more, which is significantly more accommodating to a long-term, achievement-hunting playthrough.

That's generally why I always look to play a series in order, if possible.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous