Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes...Online

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 07:32:19 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    -Announced for Wii and Wii U, as well as a possible additional feature of downloading your character onto the 3DS for Streetpass features, the game will be the same on both platforms, but with better graphics on the Wii U. Users from both platforms can play together. (It seems they originally wanted a 3DS version too, but that proved impossible.)

-The concept is based on around 3 ideas:

1. New Impressions
    2. The Joy of Playing For a Long, Long Time
    3. The Reliability of Being Able to Play with Ease and Relief

-Can be played from start to finish 100% solo and just because it's online doesn't mean there isn't a full script with NPCs and such, so you can take from start to finish to the ending by yourself.

-It takes place in a world called Alstotea split into five continents, each with a different race, Dwarf, Elf, Ogre, Wedi and Pukuripo.

-Invite your friends or register your character to be called into other people's games and level up, other players can watch your fights and cheer or boo and appear as transparent characters. You can also for help for characters to come and save you if you die or pre-write support messages for your friends.

-Battle system is turn-based (if you don't go online, you can hire characters from Luida's Tavern) with the usual commands of fight, special, spell, item and tactics.

-You can build, furnish and create your own house, and then invite your friends over. There is crafting, they showed a seamstress/tailor job with things skills like finish up and sew. It uses the job change system with the skill points of VIII just like IX, but will have new jobs and quests and events added over time.

-They showed two different movies, and some of the usual Dragon Quest elements were in there, shopping for weapons, opening treasure chests, checking dressers for herbs, NPCs like a cat warrior and some kid with glasses, a flying bird and a train, travelling through a DQVIII-like overworld and the turn-based battles.

-Release is in 2012 and beta starts soon, check the official page for more details on that. www.dqx.jp
  • roz123 5 Sep 2011 08:36:38 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3 videos here
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=160555&sid=878b6556ef96f5382fcc51dcbdfdc314
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 09:01:17
    Words cannot describe how disappointed I am.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 09:07:37
    Because I'm not interested in MMOs. Solo play or not, it will still have been designed for online play.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 09:16:45 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Horii specifically said during the presentation that there are merits and demerits of online play, and then mentioned the scenario usually being pretty thin being one of the demerits. He then went on to reassure people about the single player. If you look at the second trailer, you can see it has good old Dragon Quest VIII travel and cutscenes/NPCs -- no online players or elements appear.

Horii seemed well aware what people don't like about online games during the conference.

Also, they kind of stressed that it wasn't an MMO. It seems like they are keeping it smaller scale (traditionally four-player party, the other players seem to only appear if you set it that way -- in the demo, once the player selected online players they suddenly appeared in the world).

I'd wait for more details if I were you.

One thing I'm really glad about is that it doesn't use the standard MMO action-RPG auto-attack battle system.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 09:50:36
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Horii specifically said during the presentation that there are merits and demerits of online play, and then mentioned the scenario usually being pretty thin being one of the demerits. He then went on to reassure people about the single player. If you look at the second trailer, you can see it has good old Dragon Quest VIII travel and cutscenes/NPCs -- no online players or elements appear.

Complete with DQIX-style lifeless allies, no doubt.

Combat still looks kind of MMO-y to me. Weird choice to stick with battle transitions. I expected them to be done away with regardless.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 10:04:06 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't. How do you expect them to fit the large number of enemies that can go in a single battle into the dungeon designs?

DQIX, II and III had the same system. This will be the fifth DQ game to use it, meaning there are five DQs with story-based characters and five with a main character only and or no dialogue party-based characters. Since III and IX are the two highest selling games in the series, I can see why they kept going in this direction. It's not like the NPCs will get any less development though.

It's turn-based with four-player party menu selection. That's enough for me. The only change seems to be that you wait to input your selection when you're played with others.

Well that and if online players cheer or support you during the fight, your tension rises more quickly.

BTW it seems to come with a USB card, as it mentions on the official page. That's quite smart.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 10:12:43 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But this time the negative reactions only have two sources:

1) Because its on the Wii, and that definitely won't change.

2) If you have to play online or if there will be monthly fees of some sort. Everyone is wondering about these: if you have to log in and then do solo play or if it is completely playable offline. If anything is going to change it is going to be this. Otherwise, its gotten a more positive reaction than IX did. If you can play completely offline, there's not much to complain about, at least for Japanese Dragon Quest players who are genuinely interested in playing the game and not just the console wars.

Of course I'm talking about Japan here. 2ch is rather civil, which is surprising to say the least.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 10:24:49
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    DQIX, II and III had the same system. This will be the fifth DQ game to use it, meaning there are five DQs with story-based characters and five with a main character only and or no dialogue party-based characters.

Three of those are NES games (and I think it's a stretch to include the second). Once they'd moved on to using story-based characters there was no reason for them to regress until multiplayer entered the fray.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 10:35:07 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Regress? The main audience for these titles LIKED that system the best, and of all the things DQIX got shit for, it wasn't that. For people who are already starting the negative campaign, they aren't even including that element in there.

IV had personality-less mercenaries, V and VI had monsters. Until VII, your party members didn't even talk again for 99% of the game after they joined.

Simply put, this is something that players overseas seem to like, but Japanese players don't give a shit about. To this day, I've never even come across a Japanese player who criticizes that element.

It's nice if they do (and really, even though DQX seems to lean into the DQIII/IX system, we don't even know if that's really the case given the limited information) but Dragon Quest is not Final Fantasy, it's not seen as a regression, because the series isn't based on compelling narrative, it's based on scenario and individual stories.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 10:42:25 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frod. wrote:
    Also; in comparison to Xenoblade it's fuck ugly:

http://h4.abload.de/img/2132460040_fulldq59.jpg

A) It's not released yet, VIII and IX looked better later on. VII never did, but that's VII, he he.

B) Who cares even if it does? It's Dragon Quest. Its not geared toward graphic whores. Though I liked what I saw in the trailers.

C) Actually, this struck me as funny, in the conference, they said we would like to create a pretty-looking Dragon Quest, so there will be a WiiU version also. Ha ha, is that an admission that it won't improve or it doesn't look too hot?

D) Again, its kind of interesting the difference in reaction. I haven't run into any mention of the graphics on Japanese boards, but a lot of posts about the character designs (a lot of it positive, though people seem to be concerned whether or not you can be in-human -- the implication being that nobody really wants to play a human design). One poster did keep railing on how until now there haven't been any races in Dragon Quest. Though I'd beg to differ. I can remember gnomes, elves, winged people, mermaids and such appearing in III, IV, V, VI, VII and IX.
  • uiruki 5 Sep 2011 10:52:15 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jin: This is off topic, but mentioning 2ch reminded me - have you had Tales of Xillia spoiled yet? I'm trying to keep away from most of the Internet until I get to play it, but since I won't be able to until November (holidaying in Japan during October and so any games I pay will be of the fighting variety) i'm not sure I can do it!
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 10:55:24 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Except this isn't the Square part of Square Enix, it's the Enix part of Square Enix.

I don't think that has anything to do with anything. It's not coming for the PC. There almost assuredly there won't be any concessions to what PC MMO players like in online RPGs anyway. It's pretty obvious that it's not your regular MMO.

Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama are still dictating all the shots, it's just now internally Square is doing the coding this time, probably so they're not beholden to an outside studio for new content, so its not even something Square Enix can learn from, because its a first for this team.

I do wonder when FFXIV will get released for the PS3 though.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 10:58:09 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Jin: This is off topic, but mentioning 2ch reminded me - have you had Tales of Xillia spoiled yet? I'm trying to keep away from most of the Internet until I get to play it, but since I won't be able to until November (holidaying in Japan during October and so any games I pay will be of the fighting variety) i'm not sure I can do it!

Nope. Why would I? It's not out yet. :p

It sure does look interesting though doesn't it? It's like a combination of every single Tales game ever...

I just with Ayu wasn't the vocalist chosen, I hate that crazy bitch's songs.
  • uiruki 5 Sep 2011 11:02:26 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw the stories on various blogs of people just going out and spoiling it from a leak, even going as far as posting it as pictures on Pixiv and the like. I was wondering how much of that was exaggeration, as the 2chblogs seem to be getting much worse of late, unless you actually give a shit about how much Korean drama Fuji TV shows.

edit: From what I've seen, given that I try and see as little as possible of games I'm interested in before I have them, it really does look like a lot of fun. As for the title track, I am not a huge fan of the approach which dictates using a licensed song, especially when they have such a distinctive composer as Motoi Sakuraba. I just skip the intros for the most part as the only ones I really liked were Vesperia and Rebirth.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 11:10:33
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Regress? The main audience for these titles LIKED that system the best, and of all the things DQIX got shit for, it wasn't that. For people who are already starting the negative campaign, they aren't even including that element in there.

Then why the twenty year gap between games with custom party members? If that's what fans prefer then surely it should've been reintroduced long before they were forced to do so with IX.

The Japanese are obviously more accepting of things like this because you have Dragon Quest running through your veins (wasn't III in particular the first breakout hit?). In the west it felt like they'd really embraced the idea of having story-based characters by VIII, which made IX seem like a huge step back in comparison.

DQVIII was also able to marry those characters with individual scenarios. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 11:23:28 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    uiruki, its all bollocks anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. And why on earth do you read 2ch blog? I'm so sick of this Korean pop culture controversy, people just need to shut up and let the market sort itself out.

Cid wrote:
    Then why the twenty year gap between games with custom party members? If that's what fans prefer then surely it should've been reintroduced long before they were forced to do so with IX.

The Japanese are obviously more accepting of things like this because you have Dragon Quest running through your veins (wasn't III in particular the first breakout hit?). In the west it felt like they'd really embraced the idea of having story-based characters by VIII, which made IX seem like a huge step back in comparison.

DQVIII was also able to marry those characters with individual scenarios. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Cid, I'm going to be nice to you, because it doesn't look like you're very aware of Dragon Quest history. The first breakout hit was the very first game. The first to sell more than 3 million and create a societal frenzy was III. Horii wasn't interested in pursuing the same game over again, he wanted to an online Dragon Quest after III. If you played the Famicom version of IV, then you know the characters have no personality, they don't speak and are operated by AI, which is not selectable, which is all a remnant trying to do an online game at the time.

After that, V was the first Dragon Quest to have a notable story with set characters, because Horii gave up on the technology for a while. After VII was completed, he tried to make VIII an online Dragon Quest again, but gave up due to what the average player had to purchase to get it working on the PS2.

So the only games in the entire series that were meant to have fixed characters from the beginning were V, VI and VII. When the DS came out, he finally got a chance to do what he always wanted to do. The controversy resulted from bringing it to the DS.

Again, nobody is against the idea of a story in Dragon Quest, everyone wants that. Just nobody cares if there is a narrative (as in a plot that has develops out of a continuing story from a written, set in stone characters). Therefore, its not going to be seen as a regression.

So here's the thing, if you're going to follow Dragon Quest, since its not like Final Fantasy and popular every where, its only going to be geared toward pleasing the Japanese players.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 11:30:23 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    uiruki wrote:As for the title track, I am not a huge fan of the approach which dictates using a licensed song, especially when they have such a distinctive composer as Motoi Sakuraba. I just skip the intros for the most part as the only ones I really liked were Vesperia and Rebirth.

Vesperia, Abyss, Destiny and Destiny 2 were written by the contracted artists for the games they were made for. I guess you could say the original Phantasia but that doesn't count, because it was in house. Rebirth's, BTW, was written for the artist's good friend who had recently died, so it tied into the theme of the game, but it wasn't written for it.
  • uiruki 5 Sep 2011 11:36:17 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jin: a year or so ago they were quite useful, and at that time I still occasionally went to Kotaku so I could annoy myself at Brian Ashcraft's clearly poor Japanese reading skill. The mainstream sites are a bit too preoccupied with press releases and screenshots, and I can only take so much idiocy and racism so 2ch itself was out. They provided a decent middle ground, until they all became preoccupied with uyoku propaganda and voice actors.

Still, instead of doing my usual Internet rounds last night I decided to load up star control 2 -a much more dangerous pursuit in many ways!
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Sep 2011 11:39:21 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Star Control 2 forever! \_o_/

You should visit Gamewatch, 忍之閻魔帳 and 絶対シムプル主義. I think you get just about everything you need at those three sources. And if not, there's always 名前のない部屋.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2011 11:57:39
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    So here's the thing, if you're going to follow Dragon Quest, since its not like Final Fantasy and popular every where, its only going to be geared toward pleasing the Japanese players.

This may be the bottom line, but that doesn't mean western fans can't voice their concerns, does it? Our opinion may not count for as much as yours, but we're still entitled to one.

JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Cid, I'm going to be nice to you, because it doesn't look like you're very aware of Dragon Quest history.

It's fairly obvious you're a lot more knowledgeable about this series than anyone else here. There's no need to be a dick about it. :|
  • uiruki 5 Sep 2011 11:59:52 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers for the suggestions. I'll give them a whirl!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous